Author Topic: 2018 County Cricket Thread  (Read 14742 times)

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
2018 County Cricket Thread
« on: February 16, 2018, 04:41:19 am »
New season on pitches that aren't nearly ready for action will soon be upon us.

Interesting development which prompted me to start the thread - Adil Rashid has degraded his contract with Yorkshire (at his request) to rule him out of 4-day cricket and allow him to concentrate on one-day cricket only. He cites wanting to be the best bowler in one discipline, rather than a master of none. Martyn Moxon sounded pretty cross about it (thinly veiled by disappointment and 'what's best for Adil'.

Think this is the most high profile cricketer to do something like this whilst his career is still going strong.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
Re: 2018 County Cricket Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 10:22:18 am »
Intetesting development, such is the rise of money to be made playing white ball cricket around the world that you wouldn't be surprised to see others follow suit.

I guess the likes of Chris Gayle & probably a few others have done this already, however a current England international doing this is interesting. Is there a generation of talent coming up that places white ball ahead of red? If so that's bad news for test cricket

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 10:25:17 am »
Can't blame him too much to be honest. He should be in the test side, it's annoying seeing bang average operators ahead of him in the pecking order. He says he's not finished with red ball cricket though.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 10:53:09 am »
Alex Hales follows Rashid in deciding to only play white ball cricket for the foreseeable future

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 11:25:15 am »
Player power. Nothing the clubs can do either because they know if the likes of Rashid, Hales and no doubt others are released for not playing the 4 day stuff other clubs will pick them up.

Are they doing it to improve their game in other formats or to free up their diaries to feature in limited overs leagues around the world? The players will argue the two go hand in hand I guess.

By the way I have absolutely no issues with players ditching formats to boost their bank balances. It's their careers and shouldn't be hauled over the coals for making selfish choices, especially when there is life changing sums of money on offer.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 11:29:30 am »
I guess the likes of Chris Gayle & probably a few others have done this already, however a current England international doing this is interesting. Is there a generation of talent coming up that places white ball ahead of red? If so that's bad news for test cricket

Are they current England internationals though? Certainly not Test team mainstays, which is ultimately the format they have decided to shelf.

The players could be on tour in and around the test side without playing whilst missing opportunities to turn out in one of the T20 franchises making handsome bank.

We do seem to have a lot of water carriers whose time could surely be better spent back at their county playing or with England A playing and waiting for the call should their services be required.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 11:48:54 am »
The County Championship will be in real trouble if it cannot find a way to properly remunerate players in the current environment. Financially there is almost no point in playing it - Yorkshire got £30k last season for coming third. Each member of the setup got less than a grand in bonuses.

It you have been told you're low down the pecking order for Tests and playing CC will stop you from playing in a T20 tournament then why would you even stop to think about the 4-day game.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 05:04:14 pm »
The cricket season seems all back to front at the moment with the county games pushed to either end of the season to make way for the shorter competitions.

If anything the shorter games are more suitable to be played at the beginning and end of the season given that they can be played under lights and a few hours isn't that long for spectators to sit in the cold. They don't mind the odd shower in the shorter games either.

The long matches are much better played in the warmer months, much better for the poor spectator.
Legacy fan

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 05:15:59 pm »
The cricket season seems all back to front at the moment with the county games pushed to either end of the season to make way for the shorter competitions.

If anything the shorter games are more suitable to be played at the beginning and end of the season given that they can be played under lights and a few hours isn't that long for spectators to sit in the cold. They don't mind the odd shower in the shorter games either.

The long matches are much better played in the warmer months, much better for the poor spectator.

On the flip side, the shorter formats are the big money spinners, so you want weather that will get as many as possible inside the ground.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 05:20:07 pm »
On the flip side, the shorter formats are the big money spinners, so you want weather that will get as many as possible inside the ground.

It's nearly always rained when I've been to a T20
Legacy fan

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 04:57:46 pm »
Very nice start for Notts as they beat Lancs in a very low scoring match at Old Trafford. Nobody even made a half century. Jake Ball finished with figures of 9-57 in the match.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:01:07 pm by Gerry Attrick »

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 05:37:43 pm »
Very nice start for Notts as they beat Lancs in a very low scoring match at Old Trafford. Nobody even made a half century. Jake Ball finished with figures of 9-57 in the match.

See Notts were four down chasing ten in fourth innings!!

12 wickets today for 25 runs

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 05:51:13 pm »

In what looks to be an amazing start to the season for us, not only did we lose in dreadful fashion, I wouldn't be surprised if we got docked points for the state of the pitch. Every wicket fell for an average of 13 runs in that match. So we might find ourselves on minus points. Which is nice.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 02:58:29 pm »
Notts are in a good position on the first day at Headingley, just struggling to get rid of the lower order. Lancs absolutely ripped through Essex.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 03:02:30 pm »
Lancs absolutely ripped through Essex.

Promising. But lets see how Lancs bat first! Don't think many would be surprised to see Lancs bowled out for a similar amount.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 06:49:55 pm »
Promising. But lets see how Lancs bat first! Don't think many would be surprised to see Lancs bowled out for a similar amount.

Looks like you were right. Lancs 9 behind with 2 wickets in hand. Low scores everywhere you look.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 07:34:20 pm »
I do understand the financial benefits there is something wrong when Mooen Ali can sit carrying the drinks out in the IPL when what he should be doing is playing some domestic cricket and work on his bowling.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 03:49:36 pm »
An innings victory for Notts against Worcs. Broad played this one, he took 4 wickets for 40 odd and we are top of the table for the time being I believe. Lancs have dominated their game against Surrey but need to take 6 wickets in the next couple of hours. Yorkshire got belted.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 4, 2018, 12:32:02 pm »
Yorkshire going well at Chelmsford

Currently Yorkshire are 50/9 after winning the toss and batting :lmao

Only Ballance has made it to double figures. Yorkshire side has Ballance, Root, Bairstow, Pujara, Lyth and Bresnen in it.

Somerset 91/1 at Old Trafford.

EDIT: Yorkshire all out for 50. Their lowest score for for 45 years.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2018, 12:38:22 pm by CheshireDave »

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 4, 2018, 12:37:47 pm »
Kohli will play for Surrey in June and will be available for all of their matches, including one in Scarborough. Bet he hasn't played anywhere like that before :D

Notts are ticking over pretty nicely against Hampshire on the first morning, Ross Taylor and Samit Patel are nearing their half centuries.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #20 on: May 4, 2018, 12:41:11 pm »
Yorkshire all out for 50. Their lowest score for for 45 years.

Oh dear. What a shame.
Legacy fan

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 4, 2018, 12:46:17 pm »
Ugh, Taylor run out by Amla. Nothing more irritating than a run out in a 4 day game.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 4, 2018, 12:50:58 pm »
Oh dear. What a shame.

Essex 2/1 too

Could be over today!! ;D

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 4, 2018, 12:56:05 pm »
Jack Murphy has scored 12 from 85 balls for Glamorgan so far ;D

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 4, 2018, 01:00:13 pm »
Essex 2/1 too

Could be over today!! ;D

Two down now.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 4, 2018, 01:00:44 pm »
Jack Murphy has scored 12 from 85 balls for Glamorgan so far ;D

Got a lot of time for behaviour like that.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 4, 2018, 01:05:01 pm »
Has anyone applied for tickets for the 50 over 2019 World Cup in England. The ballots close next week.

India v Pakistan at Old Trafford are the tickets I want but not fancying my chances. England v Afghanistan is the only (maybe a semi final too, can't remember) other England match at Old Trafford. Also I think Australia play South Africa at Old Trafford so will be trying to get tickets for that one too.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 4, 2018, 01:06:25 pm »
Got a lot of time for behaviour like that.

Extremely rare to see that kind of batting these days. Can be very tough to score in Glamorgan though sometimes, the weather can make it virtually impossible to bat, so good on him for sticking it out.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 4, 2018, 01:08:53 pm »
Notts' bowling attack is pretty good, even when Broad isn't there but the batting is a bit flimsy. Wish we had James Taylor basically.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #29 on: May 4, 2018, 01:12:55 pm »
Two down now.

Interesting pitch maybe?

Has anyone applied for tickets for the 50 over 2019 World Cup in England. The ballots close next week.

India v Pakistan at Old Trafford are the tickets I want but not fancying my chances. England v Afghanistan is the only (maybe a semi final too, can't remember) other England match at Old Trafford. Also I think Australia play South Africa at Old Trafford so will be trying to get tickets for that one too.

Decided to give it a miss, can't be arsed with either a 10-team tournament or the prices

They had the cheek to send me emails about being an unpaid volunteer at it as well
Legacy fan

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 4, 2018, 01:15:29 pm »
Interesting pitch maybe?

may be an understatement - 60 runs and 12 wickets in first session haha

sounds like a minefield

Lunch has temporarily halted the carnage

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 4, 2018, 01:16:24 pm »
Decided to give it a miss, can't be arsed with either a 10-team tournament or the prices

They had the cheek to send me emails about being an unpaid volunteer at it as well

To be honest I am only going to go if I get a weekend ticket for a decent contest. Not going to West Indies v New Zealand for example. Have they announced the ticket prices? I assumed about £40?

Yeah I got the volunteer email. I replied "Do volunteers have to stay sober?"

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #32 on: May 4, 2018, 01:19:12 pm »
To be honest I am only going to go if I get a weekend ticket for a decent contest. Not going to West Indies v New Zealand for example. Have they announced the ticket prices? I assumed about £40?

Yeah I got the volunteer email. I replied "Do volunteers have to stay sober?"

https://pulse-static-files.s3.amazonaws.com/ICC/document/2018/04/26/d514a308-f946-4224-9a16-29738b03b778/ICC-World-Cup-Schedule_Portrait-with-Prices.pdf

Not sure if that link will work.

There are some headline low prices but probably not many of them about. India v Pakistan starts at £70
Legacy fan

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 4, 2018, 01:25:02 pm »
https://pulse-static-files.s3.amazonaws.com/ICC/document/2018/04/26/d514a308-f946-4224-9a16-29738b03b778/ICC-World-Cup-Schedule_Portrait-with-Prices.pdf

Not sure if that link will work.

There are some headline low prices but probably not many of them about. India v Pakistan starts at £70

Yeah that's more than I would have thought. Still if I am lucky enough to get India v Pakistan tickets I will buy as many as I can as I assume someone will take them off my hands should I not be able to make it..
« Last Edit: May 4, 2018, 01:29:01 pm by CheshireDave »

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #34 on: May 4, 2018, 01:27:04 pm »
Yeah that's more than I would have though. Still if I am lucky enough to get India v Pakistan tickets I will buy as many as I can as I assume someone will take them off my hands should I not be able to make it..

Might ask my lad if he fancies any of the OT ones and give it a go if he does. I find I'm boycotting things very easily these days
Legacy fan

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 4, 2018, 01:28:27 pm »
Fucking hell - harsh on the Indian fans that. Their tickets are more expensive than anyone's.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #36 on: May 4, 2018, 01:31:39 pm »
Did anyone go to any games at the 99 World Cup. I was visiting my brother in Leeds and the next day ending up paying on the gate in the drizzle to watch NZ v Zimbabwe. It’s what dreams are made of.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #37 on: May 4, 2018, 01:59:28 pm »
Did you bob into the Skyrack for a couple of ales?

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 4, 2018, 02:52:41 pm »
Somerset are going extremely well again. They're going to take some pegging back this season at this rate.

Also, the state of Jimmy Anderson's hair now :lmao
« Last Edit: May 4, 2018, 02:55:01 pm by Gerry Attrick »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #39 on: May 4, 2018, 03:30:55 pm »
Did you bob into the Skyrack for a couple of ales?

Certainly did. :D That’s  the student bar in Headingley isn’t it? Also made it to the club with the revolving dance floor.  Leeds has got it all!