Author Topic: 3,2,1 And You're Back in the Room - Olympique Lyonnais - July Wed 31st 18:00  (Read 145366 times)

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
Much much better performance today, looking more like ourselves with the added bonus of seeing some very confident performances from our youngsters.

We can now go into Sunday knowing that we got Bobby and Mo some good minutes and Allison has got his mistake for the season out the way now!
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
I was busy tonight so couldn't watch, but I have seen the scoreline and heard that we played better than we have in recent warm-up games.

Hopefully this has helped calm a few nerves.  :)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I was busy tonight so couldn't watch, but I have seen the scoreline and heard that we played better than we have in recent warm-up games.

Hopefully this has helped calm a few nerves.  :)

It will for tonight....then the people freaking out about no new big name signings will be back tomorrow.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
Ali, Ali, Ali...…..stop trying to play a Cruyff turn!    LOL!
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Clearly the rocket from Klopp after the Napoli 0-3 did the trick.. because even after Salah, Firmino etc went off and then we replaced the entire outfield 10 with 30 min left, the performance levels remained the same..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
Clearly the rocket from Klopp after the Napoli 0-3 did the trick.. because even after Salah, Firmino etc went off and then we replaced the entire outfield 10 with 30 min left, the performance levels remained the same..

What rocket?

This match wasn't played as a glorified training session like the others, on the back of hard drain earlier in the same day.

When people have said the results of previous preseason games meant nothing, that wasn't hyperbole, it was 100% accurate.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I was still not happy with the defensive performance in the 1st half. We got caught with a number of high balls which our CB misread a number of times.

VVD was not playing in the 1st half.....i expected gomez and lovern to do better.
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
What rocket?

This match wasn't played as a glorified training session like the others, on the back of hard drain earlier in the same day.

When people have said the results of previous preseason games meant nothing, that wasn't hyperbole, it was 100% accurate.

It wasn't the result people were complaining about, it was the performances, which were at least mildly concerning, approaching the start of the season. Had we put up the same performance last night as we did the previous games, I'd say there would be a real cause for concern.

It was vastly improved performance last night. I thought we looked really shakey still for the first 25 mins or so, but after that, we only got better. Hoever, Lallana and Keita all impressed from the early batch. Salah looked up for it too. I thought the second team that came on were brilliant. They completely bossed the game. They won absolutely everything in the middle. Van Dijk and Fabinho are two key players in this regard. I thought Elliot was brilliant. Great at creating space, a crisp passer of the ball and full of confidence. He will get minutes this year for certain.

We aren't fully there yet, with some of our senior players yet to get to full fitness and sharpness, as we saw yesterday with Alisson and Salah, who although looked very motivated, clearly lacked sharpness. No worries, they are just back, Im sure Klopp will have everyone ready to go for Norwich.

We have another glorified friendly at the weekend to help get us to where we need to be. Roll on next friday!

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
And so they are over, just when I started enjoying them. What fun it was yesterday, youngsters especially.  :)
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
couldnt see much running around after the wee man but we looked a bit fresher and livlier and Wilson and Elliott look very promising
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I was still not happy with the defensive performance in the 1st half. We got caught with a number of high balls which our CB misread a number of times.

VVD was not playing in the 1st half.....i expected gomez and lovern to do better.

Lovren had a very good game

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Slipped my mind this game, so just catching up. Apologies if already suggested, but do you think we might try fielding Larouci and Hoever in front of Robertson and Trent at some point?

I'm just imagining the four of them bombing forward on the pitch, interchanging, tracking back - I think the opposition would be totally bamboozled trying to lock any of them down! It's mouthwatering.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
And so they are over, just when I started enjoying them. What fun it was yesterday, youngsters especially.  :)

One more to go on Sunday!
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Lallana in the 6 role works. He played well.

Against part the bus teams I can see him starting

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
I'm just imagining the four of them bombing forward on the pitch, interchanging, tracking back - I think the opposition would be totally bamboozled trying to lock any of them down! It's mouthwatering.

I've been reading for years that LB & RB are becoming the most important positions to get right on a pitch. Surely the logical conclusion to that theory is a team of 10 full backs bombing on? I can't wait!
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
Lallana in the 6 role works. He played well.

Against part the bus teams I can see him starting

Agree, he provided a great flow and rhythm to our play through quick and direct passing. Also his pressing was very good and aggressive, won possession a lot of times.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Liverpool have allowed a group of young players to return home as they ramp up their preparations for Sunday’s Community Shield writes Ian Doyle.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
Liverpool have allowed a group of young players to return home as they ramp up their preparations for Sunday’s Community Shield writes Ian Doyle.

Bobby Duncan and Adam Lewis I suppose definitely. Maybe Van Den Berg? Harvey Elliot although that would surprise me. Can't see Hoever or Larouci not staying.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Bobby Duncan and Adam Lewis I suppose definitely. Maybe Van Den Berg? Harvey Elliot although that would surprise me. Can't see Hoever or Larouci not staying.

Summer signing Sepp van den Berg , Ki-Jana Hoever , Yasser Larouci , Adam Lewis and Bobby Duncan have all left the training camp in Evian having featured in Wednesday’s 3-1 friendly win over Lyon in Geneva.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Sepp van den Berg, Ki-Jana Hoever, Yasser Larouci, Adam Lewis and Bobby Duncan according to the Echo.

• Legacy Fan
Summer signing Sepp van den Berg , Ki-Jana Hoever , Yasser Larouci , Adam Lewis and Bobby Duncan have all left the training camp in Evian having featured in Wednesday’s 3-1 friendly win over Lyon in Geneva.

That surprises me. I thought least one of Hoever or Larouci would stick around.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Gomez and Milner offer plenty of backup for Trent and Robbo for the community shield. However much folks don't want them to be  :D

I'm more pleasantly surprised that Ellliot is still with them! Mad really, kid of 16, likely on the bench for the community shield at this rate. 

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Gomez and Milner offer plenty of backup for Trent and Robbo for the community shield. However much folks don't want them to be  :D

I'm more pleasantly surprised that Ellliot is still with them! Mad really, kid of 16, likely on the bench for the community shield at this rate. 
Perhaps the backup order is shifting to Gomez and Elliott now?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

• Legacy Fan

it's for one game though, hardly surprising given who we have fit and that there is only 7 spots on the bench

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
it's for one game though, hardly surprising given who we have fit and that there is only 7 spots on the bench

But aren't we allowed more than 3 subs?  I guess Klopp wants to use it to build the first team fitness.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

• Legacy Fan
But aren't we allowed more than 3 subs?  I guess Klopp wants to use it to build the first team fitness.

4 subs isn't it? I imagine it's still only 7 subs on the bench?

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner

Gomez is fine as a full back. Milner is not.

• Legacy Fan
Gomez is fine as a full back. Milner is not.

Milner is perfectly fine as a full back, especially on the left.

People seem to base his ability now solely on one game against Zaha when he was left completely exposed.

Don't forget he played left back in the 2nd half against Barcelona.

• Legacy Fan

People seem to base his ability now solely on one game against Zaha when he was left completely exposed.

Wasn't he also playing as a right-back in that match?

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
4 subs isn't it? I imagine it's still only 7 subs on the bench?

Six I read somewhere

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub

It’s not based solely on that game - he was dreadful defensively against West Ham too. Maybe he’s better at left back but I’m not so sure.
Milner has kept a lot of his physical ability but he’s really slow on the turn these days and it’s not exactly fair on him to ask him to be defensively good at this point in his career (he’s an AM after all)
It’s not that he can’t play the position at all, there will be games where it’s fine, but it’s not something we want to go into the season planning on doing imo.

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
It’s not based solely on that game - he was dreadful defensively against West Ham too. Maybe he’s better at left back but I’m not so sure.
Milner has kept a lot of his physical ability but he’s really slow on the turn these days and it’s not exactly fair on him to ask him to be defensively good at this point in his career (he’s an AM after all)
It’s not that he can’t play the position at all, there will be games where it’s fine, but it’s not something we want to go into the season planning on doing imo.

Basically this. As an emergency full back, sure. But as a primary backup? Would be madness. He was getting dribbled past at an alarming rate playing there 2 years ago. It would only be worse now.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
Basically this. As an emergency full back, sure. But as a primary backup? Would be madness. He was getting dribbled past at an alarming rate playing there 2 years ago. It would only be worse now.

While I agree, Bob, I'd also say that surely a back-up player is someone you don't expect to play any significant minutes for any lengthy period in that position?
Better looking than Samie.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
While I agree, Bob, I'd also say that surely a back-up player is someone you don't expect to play any significant minutes for any lengthy period in that position?

The question becomes how many 90s can Trent and Robbo do in a season at their highest level?
Genuinely dont know the answer but Trent picked up an injury last year (during which our results were horrible) and Robbo had a huge dip about 3/4 of the way through the season so we could do with some wat do rotating them but still playing our high useage through the wing backs set up
« Last Edit: August 1, 2019, 11:15:32 pm by JackWard33 »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
The question becomes how many 90s can Trent and Robbo do in a season at their highest level?
Genuinely dont know the answer but Trent picked up an injury last year (during which our results were horrible) and Robbo had a huge dip about 3/4 of the way through the season so we could do with some wat do rotating them but still playing our high useage through the wing backs set up

I don't disagree. We'd have to go out and buy a player, though, and it would have to be someone capable of rotating (if we're not planning on using Gomez or Hoever in those positions, that is)

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I don't disagree. We'd have to go out and buy a player, though, and it would have to be someone capable of rotating (if we're not planning on using Gomez or Hoever in those positions, that is)

As we've both said at different times it the physicality those pseudo wing back positions demand to play at our highest level that's the problem
We can make do on the right (we have a Brazilian international right back if it comes to that!) but not a for longer period
On the left though I do think we need a player... amazed we're not all over Sessgnon at the rumoured price but that's another story.

Of course the other thing we could do if we want to rest or are without the full backs is change the set up and not ask as much of the full backs on the attacking end - this might be more achievable with more quality passing through the middle if AOC is back dunno

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
As we've both said at different times it the physicality those pseudo wing back positions demand to play at our highest level that's the problem
We can make do on the right (we have a Brazilian international right back if it comes to that!) but not a for longer period
On the left though I do think we need a player... amazed we're not all over Sessgnon at the rumoured price but that's another story.

Of course the other thing we could do if we want to rest or are without the full backs is change the set up and not ask as much of the full backs on the attacking end - this might be more achievable with more quality passing through the middle if AOC is back dunno

We could, but I think we'd have to play with actual wingers at that point, and I'm not sure we have two of those, either.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We could, but I think we'd have to play with actual wingers at that point, and I'm not sure we have two of those, either.

Well quite. We have an amazing first team squad but it’s also somewhat unbalanced (lots of CMs and AMs ... very few WF or FBs) - which is why I expected more churn this summer even if we didn’t invest tons

Offline an tha

• RAWK's Serious Voice Of Reason And Logic. We'd all be lost without him, lost, I tell you! Mathematically-speaking, not banned yet......
  • Kopite
  • Talking about The Reds an tha....
PL starts so early too compared to other major leagues.

A week before La Liga

Two weeks before Serie A

It would help if wasn't starting so early.

Klopp asking question about this now.

Good to see.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49203065

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
Klopp asking question about this now.

Good to see.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49203065

Thanks to the usual football tribalism very little of what he says will be taken seriously unfortunately.