Author Topic: Preview: Liverpool v Wigan - Saturday 17 November 15:00  (Read 37134 times)

Online kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Preview: Liverpool v Wigan - Saturday 17 November 15:00
« Reply #200 on: November 17, 2012, 11:00:36 am »
my kingdom for a 2-0 win.
one in each half, thank you very much.

Offline merseymack

• Kopite
« Reply #201 on: November 17, 2012, 11:05:00 am »

You can't possibly expect Louis to limit his goals to one each half. It's unfair on the lad. As he says himself 'I'm on fire'. I'm afraid he may already have three by 4pm and a shit load at full time.

Offline redandwhitestripes

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: November 17, 2012, 11:08:10 am »
You can't possibly expect Louis to limit his goals to one each half. It's unfair on the lad. As he says himself 'I'm on fire'. I'm afraid he may already have three by 4pm and a shit load at full time.

Who's louis?

Offline SYLENTm

• ight be a total uppet :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is Anfield!
    • The Liverpool Way / My FM Story (to start soon)
« Reply #203 on: November 17, 2012, 11:19:40 am »
Must admint Cesc is a great prospect new him before he went to Arsenal, same with Pique(now at ManU) and Messi also from Barcelona. Watch out for these guys in the future look very good.

Get him in the scouting team ASAP!

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: November 17, 2012, 11:19:42 am »
Surely has the feeling of a game which will be an annoying bastard to win. My dad said that Wigan were excellent against Spurs and we know how they can turn it on in the big games.

We need a win and I think we will get it, just.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: November 17, 2012, 11:21:18 am »
Wigan play 3 in midfield and that helped them dominate the midfield against Spurs. With our midfield struggling a bit, it may be a good tactic.

Offline MatthewRedBlood

• bollockless shit bag
  • Kopite
  • The main kid
« Reply #206 on: November 17, 2012, 11:24:20 am »
On my way to the game now, heart says 2-0, head says we'll go 1-0 up, control the game, and concede a shit goal on the counter. Al Habsi man of the match.
"When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high". Bad advice, I met a bloke once who'd looked up during a hailstone storm, took his eye out, blind now.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #207 on: November 17, 2012, 11:26:23 am »

2-0?

May as well ask for a tickle of the balls from Kate Beckinsale while you're at it.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: November 17, 2012, 11:29:30 am »
Wigan play 3 in midfield and that helped them dominate the midfield against Spurs. With our midfield struggling a bit, it may be a good tactic.

I think we'll go three in midfield to counter them.  Question is how we'll set up at the back.  Personally,  I think we'll go three at the back and with two wing backs. In someways, that becomes a five man midfield but that could easily translate into a four man midfield with Suso playing in the hole behind Suarez and Sterling.  Personally, I think the balance of this midfield combination is a little better than playing Sahin as the most advanced of the three.  I don't think he is cut out to play there. 

Edit: I expect we will try to transition much quicker than normal. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: November 17, 2012, 11:39:49 am »
1-0 is good enough for me but I feel we're good to give Wigan a drubbing

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #210 on: November 17, 2012, 11:40:27 am »
It just does not feel like Liverpool any more.  I'm fortunate enough to remember most of the 80's and I've suffered the lows of the early 90's too.  I know what success feels like and having witnessed a 4-4 draw snatched from the jaws of defeat against Chesterfield, I know how it feels when we were really shite - but it isn't just about that.

It is just that football as a whole is now purely too much of a media circus.  Sick to death of hearing about racist comments, shite refereeing or some other legal case football has itself in.  The media ruling the roost too much and stirring the shite left right and centre.

Fine if this stops a few clubs and a few instances but this sort of shite runs through every club and is more than apparent in our club.  The club has become a pantomime.  The last two years have seen 3 changes in management, 10's of £m's shelled out at will on players not worthy of that valuation, the handling of Kenny's dismissal, umpteen high level sackings, this Jen Chang fiasco, a TV series and the most inept handling of a transfer window that has left me doubting our ability to score more than one at home to Wigan.

I look at the posters on here and notice just how much (or how little) some of the more well known posters (for differing reasons maybe) actually post these days.  Chopper, Andy@Allerton and Fat Scouser to name but a few.  Have they all lost the love for the club as well?

I'd love to think we will nick this 1-0 and carry on grinding results out until January comes.  Then we'll bring in a few key players and all will be rosy.  Just can't see the latter bit happening.

I do think we'll win today but I'd be confident is saying that:

1) We won't score more than 2
2) We'll be talking about the referee and a 'key' decision
3) The atmosphere will be shite

Pretty much agree with all of that. I'm just going through the motions these days, going the game has become a bit of a chore and if I wasn't taking my lad to get him into it then I think I may have packed it all in by now. It's not because we're a bit shit these days, it's quite simply because the game bears no resemblance to what i grew up following both on and off the pitch. I honestly think those 2 American c*nts did it for me, once the protests had ended and the dust had settled it just wasn't the same anymore.

Anyway, onto today's game...I've already posted I think it will finish 1-1 as I've seen nothing this season to make me believe we are going to win any particular game.
 What interests me reading through this thread is the number of people saying they think BR will/wont play 3-5-2, 4-4-2 or whatever because of how Wigan will set up. That's where we are, changing how we play to combat how Wigan play. It would make me laugh if it wasn't so fucking sad.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #211 on: November 17, 2012, 11:46:27 am »
It just does not feel like Liverpool any more.  I'm fortunate enough to remember most of the 80's and I've suffered the lows of the early 90's too.  I know what success feels like and having witnessed a 4-4 draw snatched from the jaws of defeat against Chesterfield, I know how it feels when we were really shite - but it isn't just about that.

It is just that football as a whole is now purely too much of a media circus.  Sick to death of hearing about racist comments, shite refereeing or some other legal case football has itself in.  The media ruling the roost too much and stirring the shite left right and centre.

Fine if this stops a few clubs and a few instances but this sort of shite runs through every club and is more than apparent in our club.  The club has become a pantomime.  The last two years have seen 3 changes in management, 10's of £m's shelled out at will on players not worthy of that valuation, the handling of Kenny's dismissal, umpteen high level sackings, this Jen Chang fiasco, a TV series and the most inept handling of a transfer window that has left me doubting our ability to score more than one at home to Wigan.

I look at the posters on here and notice just how much (or how little) some of the more well known posters (for differing reasons maybe) actually post these days.  Chopper, Andy@Allerton and Fat Scouser to name but a few.  Have they all lost the love for the club as well?

I'd love to think we will nick this 1-0 and carry on grinding results out until January comes.  Then we'll bring in a few key players and all will be rosy.  Just can't see the latter bit happening.

Football is a different animal these days.

There is nothing incorrect about any of what u said (except i dont know much about the older posters on this website  ;D )

Its understanable hating some of what it has become....i try to focus on the things that remain true, like the moments that take your breath away which make u love the game, an example being that ibrahimovic goal just last week....

and as for our club. Well to be successful....
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline liverbirduponmychest

• Anny Roader
« Reply #212 on: November 17, 2012, 11:51:50 am »
On recent home form and luck, were Good for a score draw today : ( Cmon red men, prove me wrong

Offline G8S7

• Legacy Fan
  • At the end of the storm There's a golden sky
« Reply #213 on: November 17, 2012, 11:52:08 am »
Reina, Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Gerrard, Allen, Sterling, Suso, Assiaidi, Suarez
But sure the kid Wisdom need a rest, and we play better with Jose and Glen.

Offline Strummer77

• Legacy Fan
  • @AlexDavis90
« Reply #214 on: November 17, 2012, 11:55:56 am »
On another note, does anyone else think it would be better if the team stopped getting leaked? Can't help us can it.

Offline SYLENTm

• Legacy Fan
  • This is Anfield!
« Reply #215 on: November 17, 2012, 11:58:20 am »
Finally Assaidi gets a start, maybe a goal to mark the occasion ?:D
Must admint Cesc is a great prospect new him before he went to Arsenal, same with Pique(now at ManU) and Messi also from Barcelona. Watch out for these guys in the future look very good.

Offline G8S7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: November 17, 2012, 11:58:37 am »
On another note, does anyone else think it would be better if the team stopped getting leaked? Can't help us can it.
+1
How is it with other teams? Our has been leaked for every match the last 1-2 years that i can remember.

Offline Darth Red

• Kopite
« Reply #217 on: November 17, 2012, 11:59:16 am »
Slightly nervous over this one given they are a bogey team for us. I'm sure Martinez would like to tactically outsmart Rodgers to make a point. So hopefully Rodgers will get his tactics right from the start today.

However, despite our lack of options from the bench I do think we'll win this one. Suarez is the man right now. He's the stand out player in the league and I fancy him to net a couple of goals today.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: November 17, 2012, 12:00:02 pm »
Wisdom again?
He really needs a rest and Johnson has apparently played a few games at rightback before.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #219 on: November 17, 2012, 12:04:16 pm »
Surely Enrique won't be dropped after a MOTM performance last week?
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: November 17, 2012, 12:04:37 pm »
Wisdom again?
He really needs a rest and Johnson has apparently played a few games at rightback before.

But I've heard that hes only been playing there until we move him to centreback position, after Carragher quits that is.

Offline LFCvs007

• Main Stander
« Reply #221 on: November 17, 2012, 12:08:45 pm »
Twitter team: RT @Musker_LFC: Reina, Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Sterling, Allen, Gerrard, Assaidi, Suso, Suarez. Today's lineup. #LFC

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: November 17, 2012, 12:10:41 pm »
would like to see assaidi play this running at the wigan full backs, won't happen mind.

maybe it will happen then  :)

Offline SYLENTm

• Legacy Fan
  • This is Anfield!
« Reply #223 on: November 17, 2012, 12:14:23 pm »
Looks like a 4-2-3-1, or maybe a slight variation of it

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: November 17, 2012, 12:16:53 pm »
I think that is such an exciting looking team.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #225 on: November 17, 2012, 12:19:47 pm »
maybe it will happen then  :)

Maybe you should post that you would like a 5-0 Liverpool win but probably wont happen  ;D

Offline MHLC

• My Horse Likes Cheese
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: November 17, 2012, 12:25:24 pm »
We're gonna absolutely hammer this lot 1-0 today!

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #227 on: November 17, 2012, 12:25:49 pm »
I think that is such an exciting looking team.

I agree, I said during the week that I would like to see Assaidi and Sterling alongside Suarez with Suso in te ACM role so I am happy. There is definately creativity in that team the only worry is that Suarez looks like the only scorer.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 12:30:13 pm by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #228 on: November 17, 2012, 12:27:01 pm »
Very strange that we're persevering with Wisdom at this moment in time, he's looked in need of a rest and Enrique's looked to be prepared to fight for his place, which in turn would bring the best out of Johnson, moving him back to the right. Can't see the logic, unless Jose has a slight knock.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: November 17, 2012, 12:29:18 pm »
Johnson gives us more going forward than Enrique and can see Johnson linking up better with Assaidi. Wisdom has had a few tough games against Newcastle and Chelsea but with all due respect to Wigan I expect him to be more comfortable today.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
  • Upper Centenary Boys - We Are Here
    • Live Online Footy at a bargain price
« Reply #230 on: November 17, 2012, 12:30:28 pm »
Such a huge game for us this.

Even a 1.0 win will do me.

Anyhting less and our season really will be in the shite as far as top 4 goes.

Come on redmen.  Do a Norwich

Season Ticket Holder in 2011.  A 16 year wait for a top seat in CE6.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: November 17, 2012, 12:31:23 pm »
The team looks exciting but will still struggle in the centre without Lucas, will be great when he returns fully fit.

Offline G8S7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: November 17, 2012, 12:33:12 pm »
I really can't see the point starting Wisdom over Enrique. He is both better defensive and offensive and Glen will go back to his preferred side.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: November 17, 2012, 12:34:59 pm »
I really can't see the point starting Wisdom over Enrique. He is both better defensive and offensive and Glen will go back to his preferred side.

I imagine he's got a knock.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: November 17, 2012, 12:35:39 pm »
Such a huge game for us this.

Even a 1.0 win will do me.

Anyhting less and our season really will be in the shite as far as top 4 goes.

Come on redmen.  Do a Norwich

If we lose this I'll be looking over our shoulder rather than looking up the table to be honest.

Offline G8S7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: November 17, 2012, 12:38:03 pm »
I imagine he's got a knock.
Must been last minute thing, he twittered yesterday "At home already after a quiet training today. Cant wait for tomorrow game. We have to get 3 points!!! Have a good day ;)".

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #236 on: November 17, 2012, 12:40:07 pm »
Looks like a 4-2-3-1, or maybe a slight variation of it
looked to myself that's what we done in the second half v Chelsea

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #237 on: November 17, 2012, 12:41:21 pm »
Must been last minute thing, he twittered yesterday "At home already after a quiet training today. Cant wait for tomorrow game. We have to get 3 points!!! Have a good day ;)".

But from that he finished training and was ready ?

Offline G8S7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: November 17, 2012, 12:46:33 pm »
But from that he finished training and was ready ?
Yes, i saw saying he can't has picked a knock, because he was ready yesterday after the last training. If, then it must has been something today.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #239 on: November 17, 2012, 12:53:06 pm »
If you could say why you think xyz will play or something, or why we'll win, or why you like/hate Wigan instead of just posting line ups...

Some brilliant posts in here, just a lot of shite.

It'll be three at the back again I think.  Suso will play the advanced midfielder of the three feeding off scraps mostly if the last couple of games have shown us anything.  I'm just hoping that Gerrard trusts the lad a bit more not that Gerrard needs to be taught anything.  I reckon after a shaky start where he forced the play far too much, Gerrard has easily been one of our better players.  But yes, that is an interesting side because it also gives us options in terms of how we can set up. 

I think we could also go 4-3-3 with Enrique on the left and Sterling on the right with Suso as the advanced midfielder as we saw against Chelsea.  Freeing him from the defensive duties seemed to allow him to just bomb up and down the wing as he pleased and he did have quite a good game once he was freed from defensive responsibility.  It does offer us a few options but I do think in doing that we seem to lack a bit of conviction in our set up and the famed 'system'.  But I think that has more to do with the difference in the quality of distribution between Reina and Jones. 

I don't know if we'll win or if we'll play well but as always, we have Suarez and thus we have hope.  Pleased that both Agger and Skrtel are fit.  Its much more reassuring when they are both in the line up.  Now, we just need someone to cover them in midfield and Allen for all his talents cannot do that.

Good OP.

Wigan have definitely been somewhat of a bogey team for us in recent times. The 2-1 defeat at home last season was particularly horrible.

With a lot of teams who are generally confined to the lower half of the table, and especially at Anfield, the longer the game goes on without us scoring the more the opposition believes they can actually get something out of the game. They all expect us to come firing out the blocks, and generally at home we do. But when we fail to score in that opening 20-25 minutes they think 'hang on' we've weathered the storm here, and the longer they hold out the more confidence they get.

Against Newcastle we had a very bright first 20 minutes but just couldn't score, and the inevitable happened when they went down the other end and scored on basically their first shot. Even against Chelsea they should have scored on their first shot when Oscar blazed over. We need to cut out these little lapses of concentration that are hurting as at crucial times in the match.

We'll see a lot of possession, but I want to see more penetration in the final third. As always we have to make our chances count. Suarez has been scoring regularly, and I can see him scoring again here. If we score early I expect us to go and win, and maybe score another.

I want to see Sahin get a grip of the midfield. He can't afford to be a passenger because it puts too much workload on Allen. I expect Allen to be back to his usual self, and he shouldn't be tired as I don't think Wales had a game in mid week.

I'd like to see Gerrard play closer to Suarez, but I don't think it's going to happen until Lucas is back in the side. Suso is much better in the position he played against Anzhi or at Chelsea, but if he's going to play on the right, Johnson has to overlap and get beyond him to the byline.

If Enrqiue and Johnson both play it will interesting to see he makes the runs and who stays back. I've got a feeling Johnson is going to play a big part in the game.

Keys to the game will be to keep it tight at the back, and not give away any silly fouls. Better quality in the final 3rd, score early, and just take our chances. If do that we should win, because we have better players than them and we have to start making that count in matches now.

and this peach

The problem with playing a 4-3-3 against a 3-4-3 is that while you overload the middle 3v2, you lose the wide mid areas as your FB's can't push up as they'll be tracked by the opposition wingers, and your own wingers can't drop back because they will be tracked by the opposition FB's. So in effect, it comes down to how your midfield 3 can adjust and move to cover the nearest three mids from the other team when the ball is in their area. Press and cover with the correct pace and angles and the 4th player in midfield becomes redundant. Fail to get this right and they will be overloading your back line multiple times, and it might come down to their strikers versus your goalkeeper on the day.

The best way to approach this is to go 4-4-2 and match them in midfield, but the problem with this is that it can often dampen your own attack. So BR has some interesting issues to consider before Saturday.

What we do know, though, is that Wigan, while ostensibly playing a 3-4-3, actually turn into a 3-4-1-2 team because Maloney has a habit of dropping into the midfield, playing almost as a true number 10. The only problem is that he is almost Robbie Keane-like in that he drops into the same areas all of the time, and it becomes predictable - Wigan are incredibly left-side dominant in their attacks, and in some games have moved the ball almost exclusively in this channel. What BR has to consider is if he should double up on our right side, and play an essentially defensive game on the right channel, and cycle the ball to Wigan's right side/our left on possession, and keep the ball away from their dominant side. This has the added effect of making play predictable for them (and to an extent, us) because when they win it on that side, we'll know they will try to move it over to the left side, and we can close off the passing lanes quite quickly.

In terms of their positional aggression, they have a tendency to sit a little deeper into their defensive third and keep the midfield 4 disciplined in their shape. Boyce tends to sit on the right hand side of the midfield block, while Beausejour pushes on, playing in the space that Maloney occupies as well. The two central mids, McCarthy and McArthur, play relatively conservatively, dictating the play from the middle. It would be important to keep these two under pressure for the whole game, and it will be interesting to see if BR goes for a 1-2 rather than a 2-1 in midfield, and who will occupy the two AM positions if he chooses that option. They would need to be positionally disciplined, and I'm not sure who we have that can play that way for the full 90 minutes? Gerrard might, but you worry about the impact of the friendly. Shelvey could, but he tends to rush around sometimes. Sahin, perhaps. Henderson definitely. Maybe he is pencilled in for a central midfield spot?

All in all, it will be a very intriguing game to watch, from a tactical standpoint and also because both teams will try to build possession. In the end, the game might come down to Luis and if he takes his chances, or the midfield three and how they work against the Wigan midfield shape.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.