Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1446308 times)

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Virgil Van Dijk PFA Player of the Year, UEFA Player of the Year
« Reply #6400 on: February 29, 2020, 11:59:02 pm »
That's only the 5th league defeat van Dijk has had since he joined us. Does anyone know who his CB partner was in 4 of those 5 games?

Blame it on Traore?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #6401 on: March 1, 2020, 12:31:14 am »
That's only the 5th league defeat van Dijk has had since he joined us. Does anyone know who his CB partner was in 4 of those 5 games?

Yawn.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6403 on: March 1, 2020, 02:10:17 am »
Virg grimaced while clearing a ball quite early in the game and it looked after that like he was playing with an injury. I don't know if that's the case but he certainly didn't look as if he came near top speed for most of the game.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #6404 on: March 1, 2020, 04:51:13 am »
Virg grimaced while clearing a ball quite early in the game and it looked after that like he was playing with an injury. I don't know if that's the case but he certainly didn't look as if he came near top speed for most of the game.
It's probably true. He held his head with both hands for long periods; i had no idea if that was frustration or injury at the time...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #6405 on: March 1, 2020, 01:26:11 pm »
He accidentally let his hair down, then the floodgates opened. In some 21st century twist on the Samson story, the loss of magic let the side down. And Lovren was playing. But the thing he was playing looked more like WWF than football.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #6406 on: March 2, 2020, 12:07:19 am »
Troy Deeney is so in love with Virgil. Anyone catch the clip on MotD2 where he's made Virg crack a smile just before the match? He says to the Watford mascot: "If you'd paid a bit more money you could've been stood there, next to him." :lmao
« Last Edit: March 2, 2020, 11:21:33 am by Morgana »

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #6407 on: March 2, 2020, 11:27:32 am »
But the thing he was playing looked more like WWF than football.

Yeah, like a panda he didn't seem very mobile..

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6408 on: March 2, 2020, 12:25:59 pm »
You were shit on Saturday Virgil! Absolute shit! Hope you're reading this you big beautiful bastard!!!

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #6409 on: March 3, 2020, 12:12:07 pm »

No, he glanced over at Lovren. That's all that was.

Hopefully, this won't happen again, possibly ever.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6410 on: March 4, 2020, 05:12:23 am »
Get him on the edge of the 18 yard box attacking corners rather than him being getting held and getting nish off referees.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #6411 on: March 4, 2020, 12:59:16 pm »
Get him on the edge of the 18 yard box attacking corners rather than him being getting held and getting nish off referees.
True a lot of refs are comedians
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #6412 on: March 4, 2020, 01:10:36 pm »
How is it not been picked up by officials / VAR that he is constantly being wrestled at corners!?
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #6413 on: March 4, 2020, 06:57:18 pm »
How is it not been picked up by officials / VAR that he is constantly being wrestled at corners!?
Greco-Roman style seems legit.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
Virgil van Dijk - A Day in the Life
« Reply #6414 on: April 18, 2020, 10:27:09 am »
virgil-van-dijk-1" border="0

Good morning everyone - hope you are all wel!

Many of you might have seen me on here before - I am a long-time member and have done the occasional matchday commentary on here as well. I've come to ask for a favour now!

To shortly introduce myself: I'm a 24-year old football writer from Amsterdam. Last autumn I got the chance to write a book on our number four, Virgil van Dijk, in Dutch. Leading up to that sweet day in Madrid last season, I tried to get to the bottom of his success. I spoke with former team-mates, scouts, supporters, journalists and Liverpool FC historians of the highest calibre: the great John Williams and Arnie Baldursson, the driving force behind the great LFCHistory website. It details how Virgil was initially overlooked by pretty much anyone, how a team-mate had to act quickly to save his life and how he eventually ended up in the UK, even if he had been dreaming of somewhere else.

The book reasonably well in the Netherlands, so the publisher asked me to translate it into English, which I have done. It is available to purchase as an e-book through the link underneath and it would mean a lot to me if you would buy it. Covid-19 has left me a bit short of work - and it's the first time I publish in English, so success here would be tremendous.

Obviously I haven't closed my eyes for what is currently happening in the world. Many people are struggling a lot more than I am. That's why I have decided to team up with Fans Supporting Foodbanks. I will donate a share of the proceedings towards their brilliant work.

I would be very grateful for your support!

Cheers,

Jan

https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/virgil-van-dijk#ratings-and-reviews
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
Re: Virgil van Dijk - A Day in the Life
« Reply #6415 on: April 20, 2020, 10:36:16 am »
A wee taster for you all underneath - on how Willem II, his club at the time, didn't seem overly fussed on keeping hold on Virgil as a teenager!

If FC Groningen had to conjure up a five-a-side team of their former players, they could put out Virgil alongside Luis Suarez, Arjen Robben, Dusan Tadic and Filip Kostic. Not too bad for a side from an isolated city in the north of the country. That the former member city of the Hanseatic League got to enjoy Virgil as a first-team player for two seasons, is partly down to good work by scout Grads Fühler and also owes to geographical chance.

Fühler had not been following him for a long time. The discovery occurs on Saturday, October 3, 2009. Willem II’s U18’s, at the time sharing an academy with RKC, face PSV Eindhoven. Fühler lives in Eindhoven at that time, he has a scouting trip to Belgium planned for that weekend, but decides to make a quick stop in Tilburg too after looking at the fixtures. “Virgil immediately stood out to me, he was wearing the captain’s armband too. Obviously, everybody knows about his appearance. But he also seemed to find it easy to play the game, played passes over forty, fifty yards without problems and he already found it simple to win the one-on-ones. But he did already seem to take things a little lightly, it all looked a bit lax. I got the impression that the boy needed a challenge. He needed to move to a higher level, get some training in and develop himself further. What I saw did really impress me a lot.”

But that’s just the first step. FC Groningen was a step up from Willem II on every front back in 2009, it still isn’t a widespread occurrence that a youth player moves to the other end of the country to still play in the same division. Fühler decides to go and give it a try anyway. He can’t believe his luck when he hears of Virgil’s status with the Tricolores, as if he were an art connoisseur finding a forgotten-about Monet painting lying around somewhere. “At half-time, I popped into the academy’s clubhouse. I ended up in conversation. I wanted to know how Virgil’s situation at Willem II is. The man tells me he’s an amateur, that he doesn’t train with the first team and that he only plays with the U18’s. Well, I immediately called Henk Veldmate, my superior at Groningen at the time. I said ‘Henk, I’ve spotted someone here. He’s not tied down, and I think we need to try and get him to come to Groningen.’ Then Henk went to have a look for himself. Forty-five minutes in, he calls me and confirms what I had said earlier. We were going to take action.”
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6417 on: June 26, 2020, 11:48:40 am »
In Big Virgs honor I have shaven off my

Moustache [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
bollocks

Offline Willy Poolman

• Main Stander
  • You'll Never RAWK Alone
« Reply #6418 on: June 26, 2020, 12:07:49 pm »
Hats off to Virgil for his outstanding contribution to this historic season. He has been a rock in the Red's defence, and he really instills confidence in me whenever I see him covering the other players. So calm and capable, he lifts the whole backline up a couple of notches. I'm grateful to Jurgen for making sure he captured this prize signing despite the frustrating setbacks. I think it is no coincidence that Bill Shankly built his very first team around a similar type of player, Ronnie Yeats.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6419 on: July 2, 2020, 08:31:14 am »
My player of the year and ballon d'or winner again. Played every minute of every premier league game since the start of last season and look at the impact. So good that I thinkwe actually take for granted how high his level has been. What would be a 9/10 performance for another defender would just be Tuesday for VVD

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #6420 on: July 2, 2020, 01:10:21 pm »
It is quite obvious that when VVD wasn't playing, we just didn't have that sense of confidence and calm.

Gomes looks like a panic machine when he is paired with Matip or Lovren. Not anywhere close to looking like an England international.

If there is one thing to pick on, I really wish Gomes could learn to be self-sufficient when VVD wasn't playing.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #6421 on: July 2, 2020, 01:13:49 pm »
It is quite obvious that when VVD wasn't playing, we just didn't have that sense of confidence and calm.

Gomes looks like a panic machine when he is paired with Matip or Lovren. Not anywhere close to looking like an England international.

If there is one thing to pick on, I really wish Gomes could learn to be self-sufficient when VVD wasn't playing.

Fuck it, it's Gomes.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6422 on: July 2, 2020, 01:17:05 pm »

He wouldn't have had much chance as VVD always played.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6423 on: July 2, 2020, 01:22:41 pm »

Like he was against Everton in January?

How many games has Gomez played without VVD when both are available?

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #6424 on: July 2, 2020, 01:31:08 pm »

Over the last 2 seasons there has only been 4 games when Gomez has started at centre back when van Dijk hasn't.

Monterrey (W 2-1) partnered with Henderson at CB
Everton (W 1-0) partnered with Nat Phillips at CB
MK Dons (W 2-0) partnered with Lovren at CB
Arsenal  (D 4-4) partnered with Van den Berg at CB

Conceded 5 goals in 4 games and 4 of those came alongside van den Berg. Also in makeshift sides on all 4 occasions.

Where is your thought process coming from that we need Gomez to learn to be self sufficient without VvD? Interesting to hear.

In general, it's hard to say we don't have confidence and calmness when VvD doesn't play either. That was definitely true when he joined and made a big difference. However, personnel and tactics wise we are now a very different beast from when VvD joined in Jan 2018.

With the growth of Gomez, Trent and Robertson over last 2 season and additions of Alisson and Fabinho you would hope would reduce the effect of VvD not playing. It's hard to say if it would or not based on current evidence since there are very few occasions where VvD doesn't play and most of the starting XI do. Bayern at home last season (0-0) is probably the only real example.

Hope people don't take the above as my thinking VvD isn't that good. He obviously is and is easily the best centre back we have. I just don't buy the narrative that the defence would be sh*te if he was suddenly missing for 5-10 games. It would definitely get worse but you'd think the quality of the team and the overall tactical structure would see us through. Probably in the same way it did, for the majority of the time, when Alisson was missing with injury.

I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6425 on: July 2, 2020, 01:31:23 pm »

I have to admit, Gomes has never impressed me when he's played. Of course, that might have something to do with him playing for Everton. I'd imagine that even Joe Gomez wouldn't look that good playing in blue.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #6426 on: July 2, 2020, 01:34:53 pm »
I have to admit, Gomes has never impressed me when he's played. Of course, that might have something to do with him playing for Everton. I'd imagine that even Joe Gomez wouldn't look that good playing in blue.

😏
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6428 on: July 2, 2020, 01:52:51 pm »
Perhaps I was wrong to say Joe Gomez panic when not paired with VVD. He panicked even when paired with VVD.

He was great against teams who wanted to go on a foot race with him and tactically inept such as Leicester. Which at that point led me to believe he would truly develop into a starter for England.

But seeing his display against a cunning Atletico and more recently Crystal Palace, he has that tendency to drop back deep and panic when their attackers have the ball right in front of him, giving that extra 5 yards of space. The Atletico game resulted in a goal, of course helped by a jellied Adrian.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #6429 on: July 2, 2020, 01:57:00 pm »
Perhaps I was wrong to say Joe Gomez panic when not paired with VVD. He panicked even when paired with VVD.

He was great against teams who wanted to go on a foot race with him and tactically inept such as Leicester. Which at that point led me to believe he would truly develop into a starter for England.

But seeing his display against a cunning Atletico and more recently Crystal Palace, he has that tendency to drop back deep and panic when their attackers have the ball right in front of him, giving that extra 5 yards of space. The Atletico game resulted in a goal, of course helped by a jellied Adrian.

It's posts like this which reminds me that it's not just pundits who are clueless about football.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6430 on: July 2, 2020, 02:01:34 pm »
The one thing I find remarkable about Virgil is that he'll be 29 next week, and he's undoubtedly the best centre back in the World, but he's only got 33 international caps so far.

I thought he'd have had a lot more. Recently noticed he only got his international debut in late 2015 whilst at Southampton.

Probably a reflection of his development over the last few years.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6431 on: July 2, 2020, 02:07:01 pm »
The one thing I find remarkable about Virgil is that he'll be 29 next week, and he's undoubtedly the best centre back in the World, but he's only got 33 international caps so far.

I thought he'd have had a lot more. Recently noticed he only got his international debut in late 2015 whilst at Southampton.

Probably a reflection of his development over the last few years.

Didn't he take up professional football relatively late? IIRC he was working as a dishwasher or something early on in his career. He was also strolling it in Scottish football. PL football with Southampton was where he was first seriously tested.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6432 on: July 2, 2020, 02:13:30 pm »

I like it when someone doubles down on a stupid post. This explanation is worse than the original post.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #6433 on: July 2, 2020, 02:27:28 pm »
I like it when someone doubles down on a stupid post. This explanation is worse than the original post.

I like him the best, because he doesn’t even realise.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6434 on: July 2, 2020, 02:53:21 pm »
Didn't he take up professional football relatively late? IIRC he was working as a dishwasher or something early on in his career. He was also strolling it in Scottish football. PL football with Southampton was where he was first seriously tested.

Think working as a dishwasher was in parallel with being at Gronigen's academy. Made his 1st team debut for Gronigen when he was 19 so not that late. Played over 60 games before he was 22. Which isn't too bad for a centre back in a top league.

No idea what he was like at Celtic. Remember him being there and remember him scoring a few belters from free kicks for them. No idea if he was head and shoulders above anyone at that level though. Got in the Scottish PFA Team of the Year twice but never won Player of there Year. Seasons he was there Kris Commons and Stefan Johansen won Scottish PFA Player of the Year and Commons and Craig Gordon won the Scottish Writer Player of the Year awards.

He's bloomed into an amazing player though. Maybe that's to be expected for centre backs. Not all good centre backs are wold beaters at 21/22. Jaap Stam was similar in terms of his career trajectory. Was playing for Willem II when he was 23/24. Only left Holland when he was 26 for United and only been capped a few years earlier (had about 20 caps at the time). Soon as he was at United it was obvious he was an elite centre back. Virgil is better but there are similarities in terms of really growing between that 24-26 age range and needing to find their feet at a lower level 1st.

It's probably why we can be so excited about Joe Gomez, despite him not being the finished article. He's regularly throwing in boss performances at the highest level of club football and he's just turned 23. Stam was at Willem II and VvD was at Celtic by this point in their careers.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6435 on: July 2, 2020, 03:34:38 pm »
Gomez is 23? He is going to be absurdly good if he can stay relatively injury prone. I imagine he'll drop off a little quicker than Van Dijk because his size means he'll probably always rely on pace a little more but that won't be for years and years. These 2 could have another 6 years as our centre back pairing.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6436 on: July 2, 2020, 04:36:23 pm »

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Maybe you haven't understood

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6437 on: July 2, 2020, 04:42:18 pm »
Think working as a dishwasher was in parallel with being at Gronigen's academy. Made his 1st team debut for Gronigen when he was 19 so not that late. Played over 60 games before he was 22. Which isn't too bad for a centre back in a top league.

No idea what he was like at Celtic. Remember him being there and remember him scoring a few belters from free kicks for them. No idea if he was head and shoulders above anyone at that level though. Got in the Scottish PFA Team of the Year twice but never won Player of there Year. Seasons he was there Kris Commons and Stefan Johansen won Scottish PFA Player of the Year and Commons and Craig Gordon won the Scottish Writer Player of the Year awards.

He's bloomed into an amazing player though. Maybe that's to be expected for centre backs. Not all good centre backs are wold beaters at 21/22. Jaap Stam was similar in terms of his career trajectory. Was playing for Willem II when he was 23/24. Only left Holland when he was 26 for United and only been capped a few years earlier (had about 20 caps at the time). Soon as he was at United it was obvious he was an elite centre back. Virgil is better but there are similarities in terms of really growing between that 24-26 age range and needing to find their feet at a lower level 1st.

It's probably why we can be so excited about Joe Gomez, despite him not being the finished article. He's regularly throwing in boss performances at the highest level of club football and he's just turned 23. Stam was at Willem II and VvD was at Celtic by this point in their careers.

We can be excited by Gomez because, in Van Dijk and Gomez, we have 2 CBs with the rarest and in demand of qualities: pace. Van Dijk gets neutrals salivating because of his recovery pace, but Gomez is even quicker. Add their superior reading of the game (the first five yards is in the head) and their technical ability, and you have a hell of a defensive unit for a team wanting to play football. If there are any pacy tall young players around with a brain, we should be moving heaven and hell to sign them. Even if they don't make it in their designated position, they can be useful elsewhere.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6438 on: July 8, 2020, 03:49:15 pm »
Happy birthday VVD. What a signing!!

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6439 on: July 8, 2020, 04:56:42 pm »