Author Topic: Has 50% of the UK been abandoned by everyone?  (Read 8197 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Has 50% of the UK been abandoned by everyone?
« on: May 3, 2017, 11:57:30 pm »
OK. 48% of a stupid vote filled with lies and shite.

But.

Where is the representation from ANYONE for these people?

The Tories want their Brexit to destroy the country and fuck everyone over. I get that.

Labour could have opposed it. But went with the Tory vote. Tory all the way. Brexit - death the the UK.

So.

Who is supposed to be for pretty much half the country? Have we been utterly abandoned? Is it totally hopeless?

Vote Tory - leave the EU - country is fucked.

Vote Labour - Leave the EU - country is fucked.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Has 50% of the UK been abandoned by everyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 3, 2017, 11:58:56 pm »
Lib dems. But some can't get over the coalition so they'd prefer to vote for the most pathetic opposition party in living memory backed by a long time brexiteer.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #2 on: May 4, 2017, 12:11:35 am »
It certainly feels like it.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #3 on: May 4, 2017, 12:20:00 am »
Yes, but a lot ask for it. Most polls say people want brexit to be sorted. This means a lot of remainers have given up and just want it all sorted. Then also look at Tory support, many of them are remainers.

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #4 on: May 4, 2017, 12:20:48 am »
It's incredible because really it'd only take about 5% of Leave voters to accept Single Market membership for a 'soft' Brexit to have a majority backing, and it's fairly obvious that at least 5% would prefer economic prosperity to restricting migration.

The fact that the debate has gone this way will be a case study for years. It's an absurd show of incompetence from the opposition and a sensational performance from those in power. Utterly unbelievable that they managed to shape the situation this way.
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: May 4, 2017, 12:28:55 am »
It's up to the 48% to demand to be listened too. they can do that on the 8th June.
Vote against every pro leave MP whether they be Tory or Labour.
Stay voters have been ignored ,they've also been underestimated, people seem to think Brexit is done and dusted were on our way out and that's it, couldn't disagree more, the news wont be good over the next few yrs and Brexit will be a political issue for many years to come.

It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6 on: May 4, 2017, 12:29:22 am »
It does feel hopeless.

When Hitler came to power in the 1930s and the people stood by and shit happened.

Then we had the wars.

These arseholes can say what they want about the EU. But the EU have held peace together through states that fought all the time.

Another world war would be disastrous and the Tories and the media seem to be delighted at the prospect.

If I had kids I'd be more worried, but I had two grandads in WW II and one in WW I (Great Grandad) that advised against the insanity and evil of mankind.

I won't have to live in this mad world that the Tories and Corbyn had created because when the shit hits the fan it'll be the enslaved youth that couldn't be arsed voting. While the over 60s that won it will all be dead.

Ah well. Shit happens.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2017, 12:32:46 am by Andy ♥ Old Trafford »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 4, 2017, 12:35:52 am »
It's up to the 48% to demand to be listened too. they can do that on the 8th June.
Stay voters have been ignored ,they've also been underestimated, people seem to think Brexit is done and dusted were on our way out and that's it, couldn't disagree more, the news wont be good over the next few yrs and Brexit will be a political issue for many years to come.

It simply won't work like that though unfortunately. Remain voters are split across all parties (except UKIP) and I highly doubt that many will shift their allegiances because of Brexit. The Lib Dems are the only major UK wide party opposing Brexit and because of our wonderful electoral system a vote for them may as well be a vote for the Tories in a lot of constituencies. And are Tory remainers really going to switch to the Lib Dems just because of Brexit? Then of course there's Labour which is practically indistinguishable from the Tories on Brexit, so a Tory remainer isn't going to switch to them.

What is far more likely, and indeed what the polls suggest is happening, is that UKIP voters will flock to the Tories en masse and Labour leavers will vote Tory as well.

It's all shit.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #8 on: May 4, 2017, 12:37:25 am »
I've strongly pro remain .. Brexit is a nonsense and a needless self inflicted wound that will hurt the lower income brackets the most and erode workers rights

However tragically but I feel like that 48% is probably an inflated number
At the referendum every single major political party was pro remain. Most papers were pro remain. Almost every head of state and foreign political leader was pro remain. The vast majority of business leaders and scientists and celebrities were pro remain
The status quo and the easy option was remain.

And yet it lost.

If it was held again .... now ... I feel like the Brexit win would be more decisive.

So politicians are doing what they normally do.. and moving towards safety. May has done it to appease the right wing of her party and gain ukip votes. Corbyn has done it because he's been anti EU most of his life and faces a difficult split with his electorate so its an easy accommodation.

The whole thing is preposterous, pointless and sick making.
But those of us that hope for reason, more global unity, workers protections and rights, peace and stability and all that good stuff... pretty much get to be disenfranchised. Not too much fun

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 4, 2017, 12:51:38 am »

People are all for living in a democracy until it goes against them and then all of a sudden it's protest this, protest that. Honestly, what would you reaction be if the stay campaign won and the leave campaign decided to do everything that the stay campaign is doing? Something along the lines of saying 'tough shit'?

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 4, 2017, 12:53:17 am »
It simply won't work like that though unfortunately. Remain voters are split across all parties (except UKIP) and I highly doubt that many will shift their allegiances because of Brexit. The Lib Dems are the only major UK wide party opposing Brexit and because of our wonderful electoral system a vote for them may as well be a vote for the Tories in a lot of constituencies. And are Tory remainers really going to switch to the Lib Dems just because of Brexit? Then of course there's Labour which is practically indistinguishable from the Tories on Brexit, so a Tory remainer isn't going to switch to them.

What is far more likely, and indeed what the polls suggest is happening, is that UKIP voters will flock to the Tories en masse and Labour leavers will vote Tory as well.

It's all shit.
I would have disagreed a few months ago but sadly it looks like your right.
The worry for me is this just doesn't apply to Brexit. politics has changed forever. bullshit has always played a part in politics but it's now over taken the truth. there are comparisons to the 30s but this time I don't think anyone knows how to fight it, were not talking about people on soapboxes or handing out leaflets on corners. social media, 24 hrs news broadcasting political bullshit.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 4, 2017, 01:15:11 am »
People are all for living in a democracy until it goes against them and then all of a sudden it's protest this, protest that. Honestly, what would you reaction be if the stay campaign won and the leave campaign decided to do everything that the stay campaign is doing? Something along the lines of saying 'tough shit'?

They've done more than that for decades. Why do you think UKIP exists? Why did you think Cameron allowed the referendum? They didn't let the 1975 referendum set them back.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline nick_8589

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: May 4, 2017, 01:45:38 am »

This is such a bulshit argument, so basically the majority is always right and if you so happen to be in a minority then we'll just walk all over you????
What if  we had a referendum to detain and lock up every immigrant and it won by 2% do you honestly think that the moral thing would be to just give up at that point, or do you think that would be worth fighting.

The truth is direct democracy is basically a dictatorship by consensus, the tyrany of the majority was first used by john Adams in the 1700's and it seems it's still the biggest flaw with democracy some 300 years later, just because I'm in a minority slim or otherwise doesn't mean my rights get trampled to suit the changing whims of the popular vote, no one should feel any need to let anything they believe in go, otherwise why bother with opposition parties, just elect a government and leave them alone for five years, they won after all the other side should just "let it go right"

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 4, 2017, 02:15:05 am »
Yes we live in a democracy and the majority vote was to leave the EU and have a soft Brexit and ive no problem with that, it was a democratic vote nobody can argue against, I do have a problem with a democratic vote for a soft Brexit being abused and passed off as a hard Brexit everybody voted for. that's not democracy to me, that's a dictatorship.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 4, 2017, 03:50:14 am »
the left has failed really.

people are sick of being shouted down and being called racists for differing opinions.  and the fact the current opposition party has went way left and are largely incompetent means it's been a disaster.

their needs to be a more central party created from the ashes of  the current labour party really.

one that is about true equality (instead of  just blaming everything on immigrants, the rich, large businesses etc).

one that at the same time helps the poor, but also helps the businesses creates jobs etc

labour at the moment has policies that are pure fantasy and don't know how to pay for it.

the tories don't help the poor and don't help buisness of the economy currently.

labour want to help the poor but also want to destroy buisness with high taxes and regulations, which will destroy job creation.

Basically the political system in the UK at the moment is shit.

PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 4, 2017, 03:59:04 am »
Yes we live in a democracy and the majority vote was to leave the EU and have a soft Brexit and ive no problem with that, it was a democratic vote nobody can argue against, I do have a problem with a democratic vote for a soft Brexit being abused and passed off as a hard Brexit everybody voted for. that's not democracy to me, that's a dictatorship.

I disagree massively about the referendum result due to economic reasons, it's massively stupid  to walk away from such a massive market.

at the same time I understand about  the fear of no control over immigration in the EU and that doesn't mean I'm racist.

it's stupid of the EU to allow such freedom. the EU should  mainly be about a common trade block and market place that improves the economies and relationships between members. instead it has become a political mammoth that will fall one day I'm sure of.

remove the bull shit from the EU, let countries govern themselves more and noone around the world would have problems with it.

instead their is a rising hatred towards it.

and in terms of the EU result and it being democracy, the question put before the people wasn't hard Brexit or not, it was to leave or stay.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline ScandinavianPete

• Main Stander
« Reply #16 on: May 4, 2017, 07:37:01 am »
You should elect Sturgeon. That should teach everyone north and south of the border.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #17 on: May 4, 2017, 08:22:15 am »
You don't understand freedom of movement. The freedom of movement of workers is a key plank of the single market. But it only applies to workers. The government had the powers to make all EU immigrants register, and to deport all of those that don't find work within 3 months. Those who don't work enough to support themselves, could be required to prove that the can support themselves.

The immigration issue is a failure of the UK government, and a failure of planning of the infrastructure to cope.

And of course the decision to not implement transitional arrangements for East European immigrants backfired massively.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #18 on: May 4, 2017, 09:18:39 am »
You should elect Sturgeon. That should teach everyone north and south of the border.

Only the majority of us can't elect Sturgeon.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #19 on: May 4, 2017, 09:23:23 am »
You don't understand freedom of movement. The freedom of movement of workers is a key plank of the single market. But it only applies to workers. The government had the powers to make all EU immigrants register, and to deport all of those that don't find work within 3 months. Those who don't work enough to support themselves, could be required to prove that the can support themselves.

The immigration issue is a failure of the UK government, and a failure of planning of the infrastructure to cope.

And of course the decision to not implement transitional arrangements for East European immigrants backfired massively.

Workers under Free Movement rules don't have to prove they are earning enough to support themselves.  All they have to prove is that the job is "effective and genuine" and not "marginal and ancillary"  (Relevant Case Law is Levin Case 53/81).  It is correct though that the UK Gov could have done so much more and legislated that workers must register - other EU countries do that.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #20 on: May 4, 2017, 10:03:20 am »
Workers under Free Movement rules don't have to prove they are earning enough to support themselves.  All they have to prove is that the job is "effective and genuine" and not "marginal and ancillary"  (Relevant Case Law is Levin Case 53/81).  It is correct though that the UK Gov could have done so much more and legislated that workers must register - other EU countries do that.

Of course the government could have done more, but that would mean taking responsibility for their own failures rather then blaming the European bogey man which is what they have done for so long. Problem is by the time it came to the referendum the Tories had been blaming the EU for its own failures for so long that Cameron and Co couldn't then row back and un-brainwash the masses they had so happily misled.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #21 on: May 4, 2017, 10:07:46 am »
On a tangent, I went to vote this morning. I have moved from a strong Labour area to a very strong Tory one and this was my first time voting there. Anyway I go to the school to vote, in to the school grounds and there is a man with a Tory rosette on his collar asking to see my voting card.

Is he allowed to do that? Obviously I told him to do one, but surely you can't have people other then the election officials, never mind someone clearly supporting a political party asking to see  someone's voting card?
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #22 on: May 4, 2017, 10:37:06 am »
On a tangent, I went to vote this morning. I have moved from a strong Labour area to a very strong Tory one and this was my first time voting there. Anyway I go to the school to vote, in to the school grounds and there is a man with a Tory rosette on his collar asking to see my voting card.

Is he allowed to do that? Obviously I told him to do one, but surely you can't have people other then the election officials, never mind someone clearly supporting a political party asking to see  someone's voting card?

You are perfectly within your rights to just walk past and ignore him or if you want, to tell him to fuck off as it's none of his business and if he's insistent, tell him he's possibly illegally interfering with your right to vote and you will notify the Election Officer inside.

They are just trawling to see who has and hasn't voted and possibly I've heard suggested, to crudely gauge if they need to send a bus/car out to gather up some of their own supporters to come and vote.

A few years ago, with a scanner etc, I made a fake polling card just to show them and with an appropriate name, Mr Mind Your Own Fucking Business etc.

Childish I know, but it seemed to do the trick.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 4, 2017, 11:24:31 am »

Fucking cheek of it.

You don't even have to take your card to vote, it says clearly on it you don't need it.

I wouldn't show mine to some random stranger, considering it has your name and address and you don't need ID to cast your vote...
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #24 on: May 6, 2017, 02:55:36 pm »

A few years ago, with a scanner etc, I made a fake polling card just to show them and with an appropriate name, Mr Mind Your Own Fucking Business etc.

Childish I know, but it seemed to do the trick.

Boss, more like.

;D
Kill the humourless

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 6, 2017, 03:03:02 pm »

The Tories want their Brexit to destroy the country and fuck everyone over. I get that.

Thats just a sound bite Andy.  The Tories are not looking to destroy the country and fuck Everyone.  They will look after their own as that's how they stay in or gain power.

Labour will try and look after their, however under the current regime probably/possibly fail.  Its each parties "own" are different

By the way I say that as a Remainer who has and will again, be voting Labour.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 6, 2017, 03:22:43 pm »
The one question I would like someone in power to answer me is this.

Given the largely split vote on this (conceding that, yes, Leave won) why are those in power so absolutely desperate to abandon Europe as quickly as possible, without any proper analysis of what the future might hold, and generally unfavourable economic warnings about leaving blindly?

I also wish, beyond wish, that politicians who talk about this, would stop lumping me and everyone else who voted remain in with this narrative of "the electorate has spoken". No thanks, I don't want any association whatsoever with those that chose to break our link with Europe.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 6, 2017, 03:49:17 pm »

Given the largely split vote on this (conceding that, yes, Leave won) why are those in power so absolutely desperate to abandon Europe as quickly as possible, without any proper analysis of what the future might hold, and generally unfavourable economic warnings about leaving blindly?

The only thing I can think of is that their pals in big business have sensed an opportunity to make a lot of money in a post brexit Britain. And they've convinced the Tory high command that it will all be for the best.

I think there's also a mindset among many Tories that they know what's best for the 'peasantry'. Like a throwback to the days of aristocracy. Taking their cues from Brussels runs contrary to that belief, and I suspect that has rankled them for years.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 6, 2017, 03:55:32 pm »

I also wish, beyond wish, that politicians who talk about this, would stop lumping me and everyone else who voted remain in with this narrative of "the electorate has spoken". No thanks, I don't want any association whatsoever with those that chose to break our link with Europe.

Thats fine, however The Electorate did speak, to leave, and you are part of the electorate. 

Its like the Scottish argument that gets on my nerves.  Scotland voted to remain in UK. The UK voted to leave EU.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 6, 2017, 03:59:19 pm »
The only thing I can think of is that their pals in big business have sensed an opportunity to make a lot of money in a post brexit Britain
can definitely see the likes of banks and the other high profile brexiteer businessmen thinking along these lines, seeing post brexit Britain as a financial opportunity like the collapse of the soviet union

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 6, 2017, 04:00:33 pm »
Thats fine, however The Electorate did speak, to leave, and you are part of the electorate. 

Its like the Scottish argument that gets on my nerves.  Scotland voted to remain in UK. The UK voted to leave EU.

It really refers back to Andy's OP. The narrative of the politicians is that there was an enormous, overwhelming groundswell of support for Brexit, that the country rose with one voice and said 'Get us the fuck out of Europe', which isn't the case whatsoever, and I certainly feel disenfranchised as a voter that lost out narrowly, that my voice has been totally ignored.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #31 on: May 6, 2017, 04:02:03 pm »

I'm not in power but I'll have a go. The Hard Brexit we fear is the easiest and quickest way to get us out. Given the Tories are lazy, entitled, selfish cowards, there's only one path for them. And you can see from their little quitler reactions to questioning and forced scrutiny that they want out asap because they fear a change of mind and that's their chance gone. To Hell with everything else, it's their life purpose now.

My only remaining hope is that this extra 100 tory MP's we'll have after June 8th are more consensual than the c*nts in the cabinet.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 6, 2017, 04:23:14 pm »
It really refers back to Andy's OP. The narrative of the politicians is that there was an enormous, overwhelming groundswell of support for Brexit, that the country rose with one voice and said 'Get us the fuck out of Europe', which isn't the case whatsoever, and I certainly feel disenfranchised as a voter that lost out narrowly, that my voice has been totally ignored.

Unfortunately thats the system.  We currently 48% feeling disenfranchised. The alternative is to have 52% feel that way instead.

The only answer I could see is another EU referendum. However the horse has bolted now I guess.

What has fucked me off, as a remainer is that we didnt have to follow the referendum. Could Cameron not have said thanks but no thanks. 

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 6, 2017, 04:32:06 pm »
Unfortunately thats the system.  We currently 48% feeling disenfranchised. The alternative is to have 52% feel that way instead.

The only answer I could see is another EU referendum. However the horse has bolted now I guess.

What has fucked me off, as a remainer is that we didnt have to follow the referendum. Could Cameron not have said thanks but no thanks. 

It may be the 'system' but such a narrow vote (and as you mention, was an advisory) - to me - shouldn't mandate the leading party to essentially do what the fuck they want. Again, it probably sounds like naivety on my behalf, but it's more an emotional response to the thread title, than it is an attempt to rationalise it.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 6, 2017, 04:38:25 pm »
It may be the 'system' but such a narrow vote (and as you mention, was an advisory) - to me - shouldn't mandate the leading party to essentially do what the fuck they want. Again, it probably sounds like naivety on my behalf, but it's more an emotional response to the thread title, than it is an attempt to rationalise it.

Thats a reasonable response. It'll never happen but Id love to knowwhat the politicians really think.  Does Boris really support Brexit or was it just his only chance at the top job. What doesMay really think, Osborne, Cameron et al.
Apart from Corbyn with his 3 tier whip.

Are politicians pushing brexit as they think its in keeping with the electorate and to not do so political suicide.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 6, 2017, 05:34:09 pm »
The only thing I can think of is that their pals in big business have sensed an opportunity to make a lot of money in a post brexit Britain. And they've convinced the Tory high command that it will all be for the best.

I think there's also a mindset among many Tories that they know what's best for the 'peasantry'. Like a throwback to the days of aristocracy. Taking their cues from Brussels runs contrary to that belief, and I suspect that has rankled them for years.
I was very disappointed with the media for not challenging pro leave company's over why they feel these EU rules and regulations are so burdensome. am sure they are a pain for a lot of companys, so is the health and safety act. life would be far easier and cheaper for employers without these restrictions. i didn't see many employers grilled over this. no real explantions, am sure there some of course but the ones I heard were feeble excuses which left me in no doubt they have ulterior motives they know wont go down well with the public. this is why I think Brexit will hit people in ways they never imagined. working hours and standards re wrote by bad management to reduce their workforce and to make life easier for them personally, a workforce forced to do as they please when they please makes life very easy. this of course only applys to the the bad employers out their, the problem is decent companys will have to compete with these companys, they will be forced to implement similar practices to survive and as Blair said, employees will accept these new work practices as they will have no other choice if they want their company to survive and keep their job.
The country went through a massive cultural change in the 80s/90s,we were the sickman of Europe.
Management and workforce's were both inefficient etc.  we are going to go through another cultural change in this country over the next 10yrs and the Torys know they will come out if it with a different country to their liking. just the sight of Rees-Mogg being excited should have set alarm bells ringing.
We haven't got our country back, it's about to be re shaped into a country the right wing Torys want.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 6, 2017, 06:26:10 pm »
Brexit Britain has three kinds of voter: disconnected, deceived and dismayed

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/may/06/brexit-britain-theresa-may-election-victory

I think John Harris pretty much sums up the feelings of everyone in this thread in his article here.

Edit: And this chap in the comments underneath captures my personal feelings.

I basically feel completely isolated, an alien in what should be my own country, now effectively shut out of any political decisions, voting for a party I no longer have any faith in in because the only other option is anathema to me, yet knowing that the party I vote for cannot win. Impotent might be a better word. And knowing that so many now feel jubilant because the far right has finagled its way into government making UKIP redundant, makes me feel outraged and depressed.
This is no longer my homeland.
« Last Edit: May 6, 2017, 06:29:39 pm by TheShanklyGates »

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 6, 2017, 11:17:53 pm »
In answer to the original question, yes. You're in the 48%. You're a minority. And we know what being a minority means. It means your opinions and aspirations don't count. You cannot be a part of the process. But when the process fails, it's still your fault.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #38 on: May 6, 2017, 11:33:18 pm »

Many prominent leave campaigners made clear that had they lost, they'd have continued the fight. It would have bored me and wound me up but hey, it's still a democracy isn't it? They'd have had every right to carry on campaigning for something they believed in so passionately.

After all, they hardly took the initial decision by the public in their stride did they? They worked to overturn it and convince people they'd made a mistake, often by using total lies and scare stories. In the end, it worked.

Why shouldn't we carry on fighting for what we think is best? Just because over half the population expressed a wish to leave, it does not mean every single person has to adopt their view as their own. When a party is elected to form a government, do the losing parties just go "fair cop", hold their hands up and leave the victors to it? No. They carry on pushing their case and fighting for what they believe.

Same with this.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 7, 2017, 02:27:11 am »

Yeah that's what I've been telling all my low-income friends in the US, look guys, you lost the election, you're in the minority (well, if you discount the 5 million illegal immigrant votes / people stealing the dead voter idea from Sideshow Bob) so just shut up and die because that's what the 46% majority want. Or if you're Filipino and your son was illegally killed in the vendetta against drug users, hey shut up bitch the majority wanted your son dead and now he's been murdered in accordance with the will of the people, that's democracy and it's inviolable.