Author Topic: Local Elections May 4th 2017  (Read 21130 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Local Elections May 4th 2017
« Reply #120 on: May 5, 2017, 01:28:21 pm »
150 was my prediction at the start of the campaign down from 200 when Corbyn was elected leader.  I think I may have been a tad optimistic though.....

180. Give or take 5-10 seats either way.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #121 on: May 5, 2017, 01:28:45 pm »
you'd fit in well with corbyn! He also doesn't want people to vote labour like you!

I welcome all Labour voters whether ex-Tory, Ex-Lib Dem or whatever but you have to draw the line somewhere.
Legacy fan

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #122 on: May 5, 2017, 01:30:19 pm »
150 was my prediction at the start of the campaign down from 200 when Corbyn was elected leader.  I think I may have been a tad optimistic though.....

The hope for Labour would have to be that the leadership issue is already reflected in the local results as it has been brought into focus by the GE campaign, because if it isn't then June 8th could be even uglier than I expected.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #123 on: May 5, 2017, 01:30:40 pm »
Abbott with another unfortunate Costello moment singlehandedly doing her utmost to prevent Labour from winning anything....

https://twitter.com/itnsourcenews/status/860446858883321856

As someone points out,  About '50'....last time I looked 100 seats lost...why on earth say 50 initially then?

Is she ill?

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: May 5, 2017, 01:33:22 pm »
Abbott with another unfortunate Costello moment singlehandedly doing her utmost to prevent Labour from winning anything....

As someone points out,  About '50'....last time I looked 100 seats lost...why on earth say 50 initially then?

Is she ill?

There was an Independent article saying that Diane Abbott doesnt deserve to be hounded constantly. She absolutely does. I would happily be the one to do it.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #125 on: May 5, 2017, 01:36:54 pm »

Is she ill?

I love the look on her face when the reporter gives her the correct number. (Oh, shit I've fucked up again). I kinda like the bedside manner of the reporter too. So gentle, like he knows he's talking to someone who's a bit simple.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #126 on: May 5, 2017, 01:36:54 pm »
The hope for Labour would have to be that the leadership issue is already reflected in the local results as it has been brought into focus by the GE campaign, because if it isn't then June 8th could be even uglier than I expected.
I really fear that this is the tip of the iceberg.  Labour were expected to do better in local elections than the general one.  It does look like the swing is inline with the National Polls though and that is Tory landslide territory
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #127 on: May 5, 2017, 01:38:50 pm »
180. Give or take 5-10 seats either way.
If they got 180 I fear Corbyn could cling on, the actual scale of the victory will depend on tactical voting

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: May 5, 2017, 01:40:00 pm »

Is she ill?
please god make this woman labour leader after the election, at least for a year or two so we can just laugh at her

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: May 5, 2017, 01:40:52 pm »
If they got 180 I fear Corbyn could cling on, the actual scale of the victory will depend on tactical voting

He is hanging on either way. He wont go.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #130 on: May 5, 2017, 01:41:08 pm »
please god make this woman labour leader after the election, at least for a year or two so we can just laugh at her

I think you need to get out more, that doesn't sound healthy

There was an Independent article saying that Diane Abbott doesnt deserve to be hounded constantly. She absolutely does. I would happily be the one to do it.

Neither does that
Legacy fan

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #131 on: May 5, 2017, 01:43:55 pm »
....like he knows he's talking to someone who's a bit simple.

It's odd behaviour though, I've always understood that she's a bright individual, Cambridge and all that, and her speech in the HoP re Civil Liberties 10 years or so ago was pretty good, but it's as if she's regressing (or perhaps coasting through to retirement or even hoped for elevation to the Lords?).

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #132 on: May 5, 2017, 01:47:34 pm »
It's odd behaviour though, I've always understood that she's a bright individual, Cambridge and all that, and her speech in the HoP re Civil Liberties 10 years or so ago was pretty good, but it's as if she's regressing (or perhaps coasting through to retirement or even hoped for elevation to the Lords?).

Didn't Prince Charles also get to Cambridge? They clearly have one or two places reserved for what Aldous Huxley, in Brave New World, called Epsilon-Minus-Semi-Morons.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #133 on: May 5, 2017, 01:50:37 pm »

Just think about that.... that would be 30 seats worse than Michael foot ... and you think he'd cling on ... and you'd probably be right.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #134 on: May 5, 2017, 01:52:30 pm »
Didn't Prince Charles also get to Cambridge? They clearly have one or two places reserved for what Aldous Huxley, in Brave New World, called Epsilon-Minus-Semi-Morons.
;D
Something like a solitary GCE 'O' if I remember rightly, quite possibly grade 6.
And strangely, wasn't he the only person on that particular new degree stream that he applied for, and that then was no longer available once he'd graduated?

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #135 on: May 5, 2017, 01:53:20 pm »
Rotheram's won (as expected). Turnout was 26%.

Steve Rotheram (Lab) 171,167 (59.30%)
Tony Caldeira (C) 58,805 (20.37%)
Carl Cashman (LD) 19,751 (6.84%)
Tom Crone (Green) 14,094 (4.88%)
Paula Walters (UKIP) 11,946 (4.14%)
Roger Bannister (TUSC) 7,881 (2.73%)
Tabitha Morton (Women) 4,287 (1.49%)
Paul Breen (Jury) 729 (0.25%)

Manchester's turnout was 29%. By comparison, first London Mayoral election had turnout of 34%.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #136 on: May 5, 2017, 01:55:06 pm »
Just think about that.... that would be 30 seats worse than Michael foot ... and you think he'd cling on ... and you'd probably be right.
Oh I know that, the worst result for Labour since 1935 when Labour was in recovery following 1931, whatever way it gets painted it will be a disaster of a result.  He has to go, if he doesn't then the party will split no doubt in my mind and then there will be a battle in the courts for the Labour name

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: May 5, 2017, 01:58:26 pm »
Oh I know that, the worst result for Labour since 1935 when Labour was in recovery following 1931, whatever way it gets painted it will be a disaster of a result.  He has to go, if he doesn't then the party will split no doubt in my mind and then there will be a battle in the courts for the Labour name

I hope so but I don't see this level of will, desire or leadership from the centre-left to make this happen - where as the Corbyn and the far left are hell bent on having control of labour. I don't see many reasons to be optimistic - can't see a good outcome in the medium term :/

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #138 on: May 5, 2017, 02:35:12 pm »
Agreed Jack, whatever way it goes it won't be pretty and I personally think Labour will have to write off the 2022 and 2027 Elections.  The sad thing is there is no opposition to the Tories!

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: May 5, 2017, 02:38:01 pm »
Agreed Jack, whatever way it goes it won't be pretty and I personally think Labour will have to write off the 2022 and 2027 Elections.  The sad thing is there is no opposition to the Tories!

I tend to agree, the longer this goes on for , the longer it will take Labour to recover (if they can).

Unfortunately under FPTP as long as Labour are where they are now, by sweeping up a lot of left of centre votes into an unelectable party, they are pretty much guaranteeing Tory rule.

It won't go on forever though, if they can't step up to provide effective opposition, they will be replaced by another party that will.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #140 on: May 5, 2017, 02:43:12 pm »
First campaign I've been involved in - just helping out with leafletting so far, but been enjoyable and feels good to be doing something rather than simply despairing about the state of our politics.

The council is filled with Tories and Kippers but hopefully we'll send a good liberal there to keep them honest.

We won the seat!  :D

https://democracy.kent.gov.uk/mgElectionAreaResults.aspx?ID=564

Was a nervous wait given the results elsewhere, but a comfortable win in the end.

Kent is of course a sea of blue with some scattered yellow liberal enclaves. But at least no more Kippers and the Lib Dems are the official opposition again....

http://www.kent.gov.uk/about-the-council/how-the-council-works/kent-county-council-elections/live-election-results

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #141 on: May 5, 2017, 02:48:24 pm »
The Tories have won the Tees valley mayoral election.

That's one of the biggest electoral disasters I can remember... how did labour lose that?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: May 5, 2017, 02:48:44 pm »
We won the seat!  :D

https://democracy.kent.gov.uk/mgElectionAreaResults.aspx?ID=564

Was a nervous wait given the results elsewhere, but a comfortable win in the end.

Kent is of course a sea of blue with some scattered yellow liberal enclaves. But at least no more Kippers and the Lib Dems are the official opposition again....

http://www.kent.gov.uk/about-the-council/how-the-council-works/kent-county-council-elections/live-election-results

Congratulations, I would say I know the feeling but any campaigns I've been involved in recent memory have been abject disasters ;)

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #143 on: May 5, 2017, 02:49:52 pm »
Labour even lost the Mayoral vote in Tees valley can they sink any lower.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: May 5, 2017, 03:06:28 pm »
A catastrophic beating

Unprecedented.  Corbyn must resign
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #145 on: May 5, 2017, 03:08:50 pm »
The Tories have won the Tees valley mayoral election.

That's one of the biggest electoral disasters I can remember... how did labour lose that?

First Round

Ben Houchen (C) 40,278 (39.45%)
Sue Jeffrey (Lab) 39,797 (38.98%)
Chris Foote Wood (LD) 12,550 (12.29%)
John Tennant (UKIP) 9,475 (9.28%)

Second round

Ben Houchen (C) 48,578
Sue Jeffrey (Lab) 46,400

Looks like loads of Lib Dem voters didn't bother stating their second preference.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #146 on: May 5, 2017, 03:09:09 pm »
A 58% majority for the Tory in my county council ward. The UKIP (23%) and Tory (47%) votes from 2013 perfectly match the share Tory boy got this year (70%)
« Last Edit: May 5, 2017, 03:10:44 pm by ShakaHislop »

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: May 5, 2017, 03:09:54 pm »
Congratulations, I would say I know the feeling but any campaigns I've been involved in recent memory have been abject disasters ;)

Cheers  :)

I suspect I'll be seeing the other side of it next month but the fight goes on.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #148 on: May 5, 2017, 03:10:49 pm »
BBC's projected national share of the vote based on today's results:

Conservatives: 38%
Labour: 27%
Lib Dems: 18%
Ukip: 5%

That's a lot lower for the Tories and a lot more for the Lib Dems than any polls suggest, but I hope it's more correct.

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: May 5, 2017, 03:11:06 pm »
A catastrophic beating

Unprecedented.  Corbyn must resign
He won't.

See you again on June 9th

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: May 5, 2017, 03:12:07 pm »

That's a lot lower for the Tories and a lot more for the Lib Dems than any polls suggest, but I hope it's more correct.
Worth noting that the labour vote seems certain to be lower in the GE as the Corbyn factor comes into play more fully
W

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #151 on: May 5, 2017, 03:16:05 pm »
29 councils in England have declared, Tories won 25 of them. They have the most seats in the other 4 that have NOC (including Cumbria, Northumberland and Nottinghamshire).

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: May 5, 2017, 03:17:26 pm »

Lib Dems are +7% on the 2013 elections, yet have lost seats instead of the expected +85 gains.

Think the effective Tory-UKIP merger did huge damage to the efforts to gain in the southern councils.

Initial results suggest some very good localised results in some target seats though.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: May 5, 2017, 03:29:15 pm »

Just a reminder to those who think the country has shifted right.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #154 on: May 5, 2017, 03:29:44 pm »
Lib Dems are +7% on the 2013 elections, yet have lost seats instead of the expected +85 gains.

Think the effective Tory-UKIP merger did huge damage to the efforts to gain in the southern councils.

Initial results suggest some very good localised results in some target seats though.

Anyone expecting much LD success against a big Tory swing would seem seriously misled. General Election may well be equally free of joy for the LDs for similar reasons. (That projected national share is comparable to Thatcher in 1983 and 1987.)
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #155 on: May 5, 2017, 03:36:14 pm »
Labour even lost the Mayoral vote in Tees valley can they sink any lower.

I suspect we haven't seen anything yet.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #156 on: May 5, 2017, 03:39:09 pm »
29 councils in England have declared, Tories won 25 of them. They have the most seats in the other 4 that have NOC (including Cumbria, Northumberland and Nottinghamshire).

The areas voting this time were largely Tory though weren't they?

Labour do have to win in those areas to win the GE and there have been some very bad results but it's not the end of the world.
Legacy fan

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: May 5, 2017, 03:40:51 pm »
Just a reminder to those who think the country has shifted right.

I mean I have no idea if it has or not but those results actually back up that its shifted right.

That's the lowest Labour vote for decades, the first time an opposition has lost seats in council elections 3 times in a row and it extrapolates to close to a 20 point tory win in a general election
« Last Edit: May 5, 2017, 03:46:47 pm by JackWard33 »

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #158 on: May 5, 2017, 03:43:58 pm »
Rotheram's won (as expected). Turnout was 26%.

Steve Rotheram (Lab) 171,167 (59.30%)
Tony Caldeira (C) 58,805 (20.37%)
Carl Cashman (LD) 19,751 (6.84%)
Tom Crone (Green) 14,094 (4.88%)
Paula Walters (UKIP) 11,946 (4.14%)
Roger Bannister (TUSC) 7,881 (2.73%)
Tabitha Morton (Women) 4,287 (1.49%)
Paul Breen (Jury) 729 (0.25%)

Manchester's turnout was 29%. By comparison, first London Mayoral election had turnout of 34%.

I know these were local elections but those turnout figures are a tragic indictment of the lack of political engagement in the UK.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: May 5, 2017, 03:44:52 pm »
I mean I have no idea if it has or not but those results actually back up that its shifted right.

That's the lowest Labour vote for decades, the first time an opposition has lost seats 3 times in a row and it extrapolates to close to a 20 point tory win in a general election

Most of that vote share goes to left and centre parties. That is on top of a turnout that is also going to be higher with the sorts of people that will vote Tory (the old). If you factor in likely Labour to Tory votes on account of Corbyn, the idea that the country has shifted right and its basically the end for centre and left of centre parties is clearly a bit mad.

There are the voter base out there for Labour. Too bad its utterly useless.