Author Topic: Racism in Football  (Read 149017 times)

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Re: Racism in Football
« Reply #2040 on: May 22, 2023, 06:24:12 pm »
To be honest, I would get my team to walk off if I was a Manager.

Be a huge statement and shut these moronic c*nts up.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2041 on: May 22, 2023, 06:28:48 pm »
I wonder if it will affect Bellingham? Why go to Spain and put yourself in the firing line?

Doubt it will make a difference, this stuff was happening before Bellingham to Madrid was started so it's nothing new

/

Infantino has outlined what should be done in these situations... something i've not seen happen a single time in the history of football

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #2042 on: May 22, 2023, 06:51:27 pm »
The La Liga president taking to twitter to talk shite ... yikes.

Really sad to see, he's had to deal with this ever since he went to Spain really but it's been awful this season. Still you get dickheads saying about how he brings it on himself. Just a really sad situation.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2043 on: May 22, 2023, 08:03:22 pm »
Doubt it will make a difference, this stuff was happening before Bellingham to Madrid was started so it's nothing new

/

Infantino has outlined what should be done in these situations... something i've not seen happen a single time in the history of football

It makes difference to Bellingham though. Maybe we can't pay him as much as Real Madrid, but at least in here, he won't have to deal with that crap.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2044 on: May 22, 2023, 08:09:34 pm »
It makes difference to Bellingham though. Maybe we can't pay him as much as Real Madrid, but at least in here, he won't have to deal with that crap.

That’s how it should be, but i’d imagine reality will play out very differently. How many black players have turned down playing in La Liga so far because of this racism?

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2045 on: May 23, 2023, 02:01:51 am »
To be honest, I would get my team to walk off if I was a Manager.

Be a huge statement and shut these moronic c*nts up.

They should, refs should abandon games or Carlo get his team to walk off. They're all fucking cowards and asking Vini what he wants to do, fucking idiots. They don't care, it doesn't bother them because for them, they've never experienced abuse or racism. Privilege of being white and insulated from discrimination

Humanity should dictate you do try to help and lead by example. If you saw your daughter, mother, wife being abused, would you ignore it?

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2046 on: May 25, 2023, 07:57:02 pm »
Pepe Reina being a bellend

Pepe Reina: "Vinícius? The less you provoke the rival fans and the less you protest to the referee, the more respect you will have from everyone. He's becoming one of the best in the world but I think he must mature in behavior and have more respect for his rivals."

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2047 on: May 25, 2023, 09:34:49 pm »

Pepe Reina: "Vinícius? The less you provoke the rival fans and the less you protest to the referee, the more respect you will have from everyone. He's becoming one of the best in the world but I think he must mature in behavior and have more respect for his rivals."

Isn’t he a daft right-winger these days? I remember reading something to that effect.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2048 on: May 25, 2023, 09:37:06 pm »

That's exactly what a racist person would say. Not surprised really since Reina has history for being a supporter of fascism.

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline TankEngine10

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2049 on: May 25, 2023, 09:52:28 pm »

Fucking embarrassing. But he has history I suppose.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #2050 on: May 26, 2023, 09:16:58 am »
Listen to this bellend!
His arrogance is infuriating.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Cs0NgPVeW60" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Cs0NgPVeW60</a>
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #2051 on: May 26, 2023, 10:34:45 am »

I think there are two things here that can both be true;

1. Racist actions and abuse are the work of scumbags and nobody should suffer such insults

2. Vinicius Jr. can often be a bit of a bellend

The second does not negate the first. Certainly, if a player is being a bellend then they should expect stick from the crowd, but that should never come anywhere close to racial abuse.

Nobody should suggest that the second point can somehow justify the first, even  if the second can lead to the first. There is simply no excuse for such behaviour.

The only reasonable solution is for games to stop after racist abuse takes place, until the abused player is in the right frame of mind to continue. Whether that’s a postponement or just until the abuser is removed from the stadium, is up to the abused, but such incidents throw the entire game out of whack, with many players often understandably showing clear signs of emotional distress in the aftermath.

Ultimately, if the situation is not resolvable, the team with the racist in the crowd should forfeit the game and the points, with repeated actions subject to points deductions and stadium bans.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 10:43:23 am by mikey_LFC »
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2052 on: May 26, 2023, 10:35:27 am »

I think there are two things here that can both be true;

1. Racist actions and abuse are the work of scumbags and nobody should suffer such insults

2. Vinicius Jr. can often be a bit of a bellend

The second does not negate the first. Certainly, if a player is being a bellend then they should expect stick from the crowd, but that should never come anywhere close to racial abuse.

How has been more of a bellend than practically every other footballer on the planet?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2053 on: May 26, 2023, 10:44:51 am »
How has been more of a bellend than practically every other footballer on the planet?

Sorry, I don’t understand the question due to the typo.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2054 on: May 26, 2023, 10:51:19 am »
Sorry, I don’t understand the question due to the typo.

Ooops.  I meant what has he done than most other footballers haven't?  What makes him a bellend and why does it have any relevancy to the discussion about the racism?

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2055 on: May 26, 2023, 10:57:31 am »

When he put that Barcelona shirt on Fabregas was when I realised he was a c*nt. Shame that so many of our ex-players are turning out to be utter dickheads.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #2056 on: May 26, 2023, 11:08:34 am »
When he put that Barcelona shirt on Fabregas was when I realised he was a c*nt. Shame that so many of our ex-players are turning out to be utter dickheads.

Not turning into as they were always like it. We either didn't see it or chose to ignore it.

Suarez is the perfect example of this.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2057 on: May 26, 2023, 11:11:32 am »

Fooballers generally are, especially modern ones.  If you're looking for bastions of morality, you're looking in the wrong place.

You should look at footballers as being good at football, not as good human beings.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2058 on: May 26, 2023, 11:22:28 am »
Ooops.  I meant what has he done than most other footballers haven't?  What makes him a bellend and why does it have any relevancy to the discussion about the racism?

No I agree they shouldn’t be mixed. My point was really that all these commentators on the subject, such as Pepe Reina in the quotes on this page, seem to be mixing the two issues rather than seeing them as two separate things. Whilst a player acting like a bellend would be cause in any football stadium for them to receive stick from the crowd, that’s not the issue, and it’s not what Vinicius is annoyed about.

The crowd resorting to racist abuse is the issue and should be talked about without conflating the issues, not with some sort of suggestion that Vinicius caused the racism.

Sorry, if that wasn’t clear from my post.

As my thoughts on why Vinicius is a bellend, that’s more down to his on the pitch behaviour, which although not unheard of for a footballer, is more on the Bruno Fernandes end of the scale than I like to see. But I’ll park this point as it wasn’t really the intention of my post to get into this discussion, more to say, people should be able to say they think he’s a bellend but that should be separate, as you suggest, as it doesn’t excuse anything, so people shouldn’t try and associate the two issues. That’s why I was trying to separste them out in my initial post.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2059 on: May 26, 2023, 11:28:06 am »
All good, thanks for clarifying.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2060 on: May 26, 2023, 11:30:44 am »

Suarez is the perfect example of this.

I think the Suarez example is different, since he is just that sort of player who gets under the skin of opposition players and fans. I kind of thought, whilst it was possible to give him stick during our games against Barca, without  having it change your opinion on him, since we all knew he was willing to dip into the dark arts, when he was here.

That’s different to a Didi Hamann example where it’s their off the field beliefs and comments are more what show them in a different light, which is more down to them not being pundits / not talking around as many subjects when they were still playing.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2061 on: May 26, 2023, 11:46:42 am »
Fooballers generally are, especially modern ones.  If you're looking for bastions of morality, you're looking in the wrong place.

You should look at footballers as being good at football, not as good human beings.

They don't have to be saints, just decent human beings will do. In Reina's case, he's not even that.

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2062 on: May 26, 2023, 03:32:45 pm »
Like always, the punishment is pathetic. The Markos Kempes stand is to be closed for three matches, instead of five. Fine is also reduced to €27.000.
I haven't read enough about this case to form an opinion, but the "punishments" handed out by FIFA, UEFA and most football associations are always laughable.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 03:34:34 pm by dalarr »

Offline Syntexity

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2063 on: May 27, 2023, 08:28:27 am »
Its an extremely difficult problem to solve with quick remedies, especially if not all clubs and the big assosiactions (governments as well) are willing to work together and make hard choices.

If the punishment is too hard for a club and its supporters (those not being racist c*nts) then you will get rival supporters who will go to their rivals games and start making trouble to try and affect future results and the standing of their rivals. This will happen, it seems absurd but please dont underestimate what a lot of idiots are willing to do when it comes to this game.

The tactic the associations have used so far are just shit though, too many white old corrupt c*nts running the different associations and they care to much about protecting brands and their own pockets to really do something. Change is needed. Badly.

Long term you need to educate people, in schools, at home, in the media. There needs to be harsher punishments for racial abuse in normal life and clubs should be allowed and obliged to redirect fines towards those people in the ground guilty of the abuse. These fines should be heavier as well so that it can really inflict someones life while partially being suspended towards behavioral change and proffessional help, therapy and education on the issue. Its probably very difficult to get anything like this into the laws of a country, certainly not straightforward. I will be honest, dont see anything like this happening.

In cases where its basically the entire stadium chanting this abuse (racism or tragedy chanting) then start with 3-5 match ban for crowds for the team. If it happens again within 5-10 years extend the amount of matches without crowds to about 15 games. And then in the instance of a third time the club are not allowed spectators for an entire season, give a solid points deduction and refuse them access to any european competition for 3 years. Maybe its harsh (and against laws), but enough supporters would wake up and start selfpolicing if it hits their passion hard with repeat offences.

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #2064 on: May 27, 2023, 08:48:02 am »
I just think the sooner teams start walking off in support of who has been racially abused the better. Show proper solidarity to their teammate. Then award the points to the team walking off. Fines and partially closing stadiums is such a half arsed attempt to punish those scumbags and it clearly doesn't work

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2065 on: May 27, 2023, 02:00:52 pm »
Valencia's punishment for their fans being racist c*nts has been reduced on appeal  :lmao :butt
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #2066 on: May 29, 2023, 11:14:05 pm »

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #2067 on: June 19, 2023, 08:23:12 pm »
Two international matches abandoned after alleged racist abuse - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65955793
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2068 on: June 19, 2023, 08:40:52 pm »
Until it is taken seriously this shit will continue to happen

Too many idiots in and around sports, fuck them off, every time and as much as it takes, absolutely no place for it. Players and fans, there's so many high quality cameras in stadiums, identify offenders and punish them, no matter how many it is

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2069 on: March 23, 2024, 09:29:36 pm »
One other thing that springs to mind is when people label black players as "lazy" when they've been poor - a thing you'll never see a white player being accused of.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3RyBrRKqL0c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3RyBrRKqL0c</a>
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2070 on: March 23, 2024, 09:30:56 pm »
One other thing that comes to my mind is when people label black players as "lazy" when they've been poor - a thing you'll never see a white player being accused of.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3RyBrRKqL0c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3RyBrRKqL0c</a>

Well that's not true.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2071 on: March 23, 2024, 09:44:00 pm »

Well that's not true.

Rarely described then. A big chunk of the lazy descriptions are aimed at black players. That's what I've noticed especially on online commentary.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #2072 on: March 23, 2024, 11:00:46 pm »
One other thing that springs to mind is when people label black players as "lazy" when they've been poor - a thing you'll never see a white player being accused of.

Straight from the Ron Atkinson Bible?

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #2073 on: March 26, 2024, 03:23:56 am »
This article in the Guardian is truly heart breaking

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/25/vinicius-junior-racist-abuse-spain-brazil-football-real-madrid

A young person has worked to be one of the best of the best in their field and the hatred of others is pushing them to suffer unimaginable mental trauma and consider giving up something they love.

Makes Reina's comments from a year ago feel even more callous too

Offline Red-4-Ever

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2074 on: March 26, 2024, 01:50:42 pm »
Yes it genuinely saddened me to see a pro at the top of his game, one of the most exciting young footballers in the game and likely with a big future ahead of him, being reduced to wiping tears from his eyes in a press conference over a bunch of knuckle dragging c*nts. When combined with how the Rubiales debacle was handled, there are some serious problems in the Spanish game (perhaps reflecting societal attitudes in general) and the FA have made an absolute bollocks of their handling of both IMO, it'd almost make you think they don't care...

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #2075 on: March 26, 2024, 02:14:06 pm »
Yes it genuinely saddened me to see a pro at the top of his game, one of the most exciting young footballers in the game and likely with a big future ahead of him, being reduced to wiping tears from his eyes in a press conference over a bunch of knuckle dragging c*nts. When combined with how the Rubiales debacle was handled, there are some serious problems in the Spanish game (perhaps reflecting societal attitudes in general) and the FA have made an absolute bollocks of their handling of both IMO, it'd almost make you think they don't care...
That article upset me too. It might be ignorance on my part but I am shocked that this happened in Spain. I don't recall our players suffering racist abuse there whereas it still crops up now and again in eastern Europe. To an extent the latter is more understandable (albeit not excusable) because they were so closed off after WW2 and attitudes can take a long time to change. But Spain has always been a melting pot of cultures which is why it seems extra shocking.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #2076 on: March 26, 2024, 02:21:06 pm »
This article in the Guardian is truly heart breaking

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/25/vinicius-junior-racist-abuse-spain-brazil-football-real-madrid

A young person has worked to be one of the best of the best in their field and the hatred of others is pushing them to suffer unimaginable mental trauma and consider giving up something they love.

Makes Reina's comments from a year ago feel even more callous too

Loads of Spanish players and FA figures have basically just kept on saying he should get on with it, very depressing
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2077 on: March 26, 2024, 05:57:46 pm »
We should put a cheeky little bid in.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill