El Lobo
6 (15.8%)
tubby
11 (28.9%)
Crosby Nick
11 (28.9%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: August 18, 2022, 10:19:32 pm

Author Topic: 80s movie draft - VOTING (Group C)  (Read 1130 times)

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
80s movie draft - VOTING (Group C)
« on: August 17, 2022, 10:19:32 pm »
Betty Blue

Full Metal Jacket (1987) - Action/War/Western, After Hours (1985) - Thriller/Crime, Beetlejuice (1988) - Adventure/Fantasy, Stand By Me (1986) - Drama/Romance, Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) - Comedy/ Musical, Fright Night (1985) - Horror, Mad Max 2 (1981 - Sci-Fi, The Karate Kid (1984) - Animation/Family, Stop Making Sense (1984) - Wildcard

Full Metal Jacket (1987) - Cat 1. War                   After Hours (1985) - Cat 2. Crime/Thriller                 

Beetlejuice (1988) - Cat. 3 - Fantasy                    Stand By Me (1986) - Cat. 4 - Drama

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) - Cat 5. Comedy        Fright Night (1985) - Cat. 6 - Horror

Mad Max 2 (1981) - Cat 7. Sci-Fi                         The Karate Kid (1984) - Cat. 8 Family         

Stop Making Sense (1984) - Cat 9. Wildcard

El Lobo

Top Gun (1986) - Action/War/Western, The Running Man (1987) - Thriller/Crime, Flash Gordon (1980) - Adventure/Fantasy, The Breakfast Club (1985) - Drama/Romance, Stripes (1981) - Comedy/ Musical, Child's Play (1988) - Horror, Blade Runner (1982) - Sci-Fi, Big (1988) - Animation/Family, They Live (1988) - Wildcard

Cat 1. Action - Top Gun

Cat 2. Thriller - The Running Man

Cat 3. Fantasy - Flash Gordon

Cat 4. Drama - The Breakfast Club

Cat 5. Comedy - Stripes

Cat 6. Horror - Childs Play

Cat 7. Sci-Fi - Blade Runner

Cat 8. Family - Big

Cat 9. Wildcard - They Live

tubby

Big Trouble In Little China (1986) - Action/War/Western, Scarface (1983) - Thriller/Crime, Ghostbusters (1984) - Adventure/Fantasy, The Color Of Money (1986) - Drama/Romance, Heathers (1989) - Comedy/ Musical, The Fly (1986) - Horror, Spaceballs (1987) - Sci-Fi, Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (1988) - Animation/Family, Clue (1985) - Wildcard

Cat 1. Action/War/Western - Big Trouble In Little China - 1986

Cat 2. Thriller/Crime - Scarface - 1983

Cat 3. Adventure/Fantasy - Ghostbusters - 1984

Cat 4. Drama/Romance - The Color Of Money - 1986

Cat 5. Comedy/ Musical - Heathers - 1989

Cat 6. Horror - The Fly - 1986

Cat 7. Sci-Fi - Spaceballs - 1987

Cat 8. Animation/Family - Who Framed Roger Rabbit? - 1988

Cat 9. Wildcard (pick whatever you like) - Clue - 1985

Crosby Nick

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) - Action/War/Western, Commando (1985) - Thriller/Crime, The Goonies (1985) - Adventure/Fantasy, Dirty Dancing (1987) - Drama/Romance, Trading Places (1983) - Comedy/ Musical, Poltergeist (1982)  - Horror, Back to the Future (1985) - Sci-Fi, Uncle Buck (1989) - Animation/Family, The Naked Gun (1988) - Wildcard

Because I'm a kind fellow -

Cat 1. Action/War/Western
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) - Steven Spielberg

Cat 2. Thriller/Crime
Commando (1985) - Mark Lester

Cat 3. Adventure/Fantasy
The Goonies (1985) - Richard Doner

Cat 4. Drama/Romance
Dirty Dancing (1987) - Emile Ardolino

Cat 5. Comedy/ Musical
Trading Places (1983) - John Landis

Cat 6. Horror
Poltergeist (1982) - Tobe Hooper

Cat 7. Sci-Fi
Back to the Future (1985) - Robert Zemeckis

Cat 8. Animation/Family
Uncle Buck (1989) - John Hughes

Cat 9. Wildcard (pick whatever you like)
The Naked Gun (1988) - David Zucker

We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 80s movie draft - VOTING (Group C)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 10:37:03 pm »
Just on Blade Runner, I watched a version last week which had a voiceover from Deckard throughout the movie. I'd never seen that version before but apparently that was the theatrical version and the Director's Cut (which is the only one I'd ever seen previously), removed it completely.

To me, the film is much better without the voiceover, it didn't need Deckard explaining things every 5 minutes taking me out of the present but I don't know if that's because I saw the non-voiceover version first. Anyone seen the theatrical version first and if so, did it work for you?

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 10:57:32 pm »
Don't think I have mate. I think I have only seen the director's cut. Although I generally prefer theatrical to director cuts, I think they are better-paced and less self-indulgent, I mostly hate voiceovers, so doubt I will like that one though.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 11:49:10 pm »
Wow this is really tough to choose between the 4.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 08:22:01 am »
Don't think I have mate. I think I have only seen the director's cut. Although I generally prefer theatrical to director cuts, I think they are better-paced and less self-indulgent, I mostly hate voiceovers, so doubt I will like that one though.

It just feels out of place, I read that the studio demanded it so Scott reluctantly put it in. When the Director's cut out, he took it and it's a better movie for it.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 08:49:08 am »
This is very tough. I’m biased so have voted for myself! Done my usual rankings and have a dead heat between Betty and Tubby. Lobo just behind them.

Betty: Ferris Bueller won the best Comedy (actually my Trading Places might match it). Stand by Me is a classic. Full Metal Jacket is a Great War film and the Karate Kid is a great piece of 80s kids/action fun. Stop Making Sense is an interesting Wildcard shout, don’t think I’ve actually seen it properly but giving him marks for the selection anyway.

Lobo: he’s gone full 80s which I have too and I like his choices. Top Gun is one of the most famous films of the decade, not necessarily one of the best but everyone knows it and can quote it. Running Man is classic Arnie. The Breakfast Club was a really nice pick and Big is another that brings back all the nostalgic feels. Loads of good picks but none that topped by favourite per genre on their own (Top Gun, Breakfast Club and Big all tied though).

Tubby: again loads of great picks (a theme here). Actually think he has the most picks I can remember seeing at the cinema, including my own (Ghostbusters, Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Big Trouble) so bonus points for that. Spaceballs is a bit of a cult classic.

Me: I’m happy with almost all my picks. Don’t really know why I went for Dirty Dancing. Didn’t even watch it until this century because my wife made me. It’s a bit of a cheesy classic but should have gone for something better, was panicking about a female lead choice. Also, Uncle Buck maybe not right up there. With a bit more though could probably have had a better family choice. Happy with all my others. Toughest call was Comedy. Wanted an Eddie Murphy choice given how big he was in this decade. Could have tossed a three sided coin between Trading Places, Beverly Hills Cop and Coming to America.

Will vote later once I’ve mulled it over some more.

Favourites per category:
Action: dead heat, all really good if quite different
Thriller: Commando (although slightly dodgy category pick)
Adventure: Ghostbusters and Goonies both brilliant
Drama: the other 3 are all fine choices, and beat mine
Comedy: Ferris Bueller pips Trading Places
Horror: Not as strong as the other groups. Think the Fly was one I’d have gone for had it not been taken
Sci Fi: Blade Runner probably technically the correct choice but Back to the Future is one of the greats for me
Animation/Family: Big and Who Framed Roger Rabbit are both brilliant and different and hit the 80s sweet spot
Wildcard: Naked Gun

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 12:07:54 pm »
Dammit, gave my second choice to Tubby. Should have gone Lobo to really make it interesting. :D

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2022, 12:36:19 pm »
Count one more vote for Betty, I fucked up and only voted for one choice by accident.  Have PM'd a mod to see if it can be reset.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2022, 02:37:10 pm »
I think I'm pretty set on my first vote, which is for Betty. He just picked so many movies that I love, and I've seen almost all of them. The second one is much harder though. All other three have some great movies I love while several I haven't seen.

El Lobo with two of my favourite Sci-fi's in Blade Runner and They Live! The Breakfast Club is a great movie, while Top Gunn is a great peace of cheesy entertainment.

Tubby with Big Trouble In Little China, which was my pick for adventure but had to give it up because of Escape of New York. Ghostbusters and Scarface are classics that I love, while Heathers and Clue are two great picks also. 

Nick with Back to the future, is just a perfect film. The Temple of Doom is probably my favourite Indiana Jones movie. Commando is a great action flick. The Goonies goes for the feels, and the Naked Gun is just great dumb fun. Poltergeist is a solid pick too.

Really hard to call this one.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2022, 02:40:39 pm »
Count one more vote for Betty, I fucked up and only voted for one choice by accident.  Have PM'd a mod to see if it can be reset.

I've voted for Betty on your behalf now ;D

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2022, 02:53:27 pm »
I've voted for Betty on your behalf now ;D

Thanks again, should've PM'd you and asked you to vote for me.  The perfect crime.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2022, 03:51:36 pm »
while Heathers and Clue are two great picks also.

Really happy to see these two get some love.  Clue is an all time favourite for me, one of the comfiest watches ever.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2022, 05:48:11 pm »
My second vote went to Tubby. Big standout of this heat IMO and one of my favourites for taking the 80s title. Ghostbusters basically IS the 80s. Scarface, Big Trouble in Little China, Heathers, The Fly, Roger Rabbit. All excellent picks. The only pick that slightly lets down the selection for me is Spaceballs as a sci-fi. It's 95% comedy with sci-fi as the backdrop and therefore doesn't do that genre justice.

Nick's picked some excellent 80s cheesy goodness, but the categories are bit too jumbled for me to give him the vote. Plus Dirty Dancing getting to the final would be an abhoration on RAWK film drafts.

Lobo has my favourite film ever in Blade Runner and utterly storms the sci-fi category. I also love Flash Gordon, cheesiness and all. Breakfast Club is another all-time fave. But somehow I'm not voting for him. He is just damn unlucky to be in such a strong heat.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2022, 07:35:29 pm »
Went for Betts and Tubbs at the end. Had to rely on the spreadsheet again, and Tubby just edged it by virtue of having more movies that I've watched. Incredible close though.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2022, 08:16:10 pm »
Had voted for Tubby and Betty but again these are razor-thin margins. Lobo's and Nicks's line-ups are just as good to be honest

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2022, 10:22:30 pm »
A little less of the fey anguish over who to pick. Just fucking get on with it. Tubby and Nick
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2022, 11:12:24 am »

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2022, 12:37:02 pm »
;D

A bit busy but will look to get something set up later on today.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2022, 07:22:12 pm »