Author Topic: Pre-match thread: Manchester United vs Liverpool  (Read 35158 times)

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Pre-match thread: Manchester United vs Liverpool
« Reply #320 on: August 22, 2022, 02:11:57 pm »
Agree with this. We really leave our defence exposed sometimes

Gomez and VVD are faster than all 3. We had such a good record with them starting a few seasons ago

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: August 22, 2022, 02:12:44 pm »
Not comfortable with their pace up top, especially if we play are usual high line.

Seems they could go with Sancho, Martial and Rashford.  However rubbish they have been they have the pace to hurt us on the counter.
m
They do have pace and rashford still had a few opportunities in the prior games at the back post and on breaks.

But on the whole - if we can exert some control and limit those opportunities we should be fine.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #322 on: August 22, 2022, 02:14:35 pm »
I think a pretty boring 0-0 is on the cards.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Nyx

• Kemlynite
  • Has Gomez scored yet?
« Reply #323 on: August 22, 2022, 02:17:37 pm »
Starting to feel nervous now. At least in my dream Bobby scored a brace, but I can’t remember if we won.

I don’t even care about performance, just get the win.

Offline Bincey

• Legacy Fan
  • Is that Joe Pasquale? In the garden?
« Reply #324 on: August 22, 2022, 02:22:48 pm »
Wonder how these planned protests will affect the United players. A scabby 1-0 win will do us.

Cancelled a pre match meeting by the sounds of it.

"Exclusive: United cancel planned pre-match meeting at the Lowry at short notice due to security fears. United security staff expecting tonight's protest to be 'a big one'"
https://twitter.com/liamcorless/status/1561696969181077505

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: August 22, 2022, 02:27:58 pm »
It is must win. We know were going to need 90+ points  to win the title, nearer to 100 would be better.

I know it is just saying it’s ridiculous we’re at this point 3 games into the season due to our own poor start…

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: August 22, 2022, 02:39:16 pm »
This match is never fucking happening if the police can't get a grip of a few little knobheads outside a hotel.

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #328 on: August 22, 2022, 02:41:48 pm »
If this can't go ahead safely decisions need to be taken now before the vast majority of our fans start to travel. Ridiculous what is going on.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: August 22, 2022, 02:42:41 pm »
Just has to be 6 points from our games this week, a fuck up against a talented Palace side can happen but it shouldn't be happening here or on the weekend, would be a massive concern if it was. Some issues on our side but they don't have a player that makes our team so we gotta get it done.

Offline Bincey

• Legacy Fan
  • Is that Joe Pasquale? In the garden?
« Reply #332 on: August 22, 2022, 02:44:36 pm »

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: August 22, 2022, 02:58:16 pm »
Wonder why United fans didn't go to all this trouble of big protests when they were winning things ?

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: August 22, 2022, 03:12:25 pm »
Think Nunez would of terrorised Martinez in this so it's dissapointing from that point of view.
On the other hand, if Nunez got himself worked up by the pressure and from a mild scandinavian centre back, it's possibly for the best he isn't facing an Argenintian defender (and one who's had to learn how to compete on the edge with his small frame)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: August 22, 2022, 03:15:58 pm »
On the other hand, if Nunez got himself worked up by the pressure and from a mild scandinavian centre back, it's possibly for the best he isn't facing an Argenintian defender (and one who's had to learn how to compete on the edge with his small frame)

You're talking as if Darwin didn't come up against the shithouse Pepe for the last 2 years.  ;D

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: August 22, 2022, 03:20:19 pm »
Reckon they gonna play Martinez in front of the defence. I f we play high line they gonna go for Sancho Martial and Rashford hoof over the top and get them running past us. They used there speedy players in the friendly and they gonna try again. ronaldo benched.
The problem with dropping him is the media circus that comes with it. Ten Hag can't win.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #338 on: August 22, 2022, 03:23:21 pm »

Daft as it was, I think we can give him the benefit of the doubt that he was worked up for a home debut and he’s not going to react that way again
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #339 on: August 22, 2022, 03:33:52 pm »
The obvious key here is to stay focused to keep the clean sheet. The makeshift United defence and midfield will find it very hard to contain Mo and Luis for a full 90 minutes. I think if there's any game where Bobby will be prolific as a presence in the box it could be this one. He has the size over Martínez and hopefully he can use it.
Linudden.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #340 on: August 22, 2022, 03:34:20 pm »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #341 on: August 22, 2022, 03:38:21 pm »
Remarkable how people (myself included) are so unconfident about this one. We're so much better than them but it'll be a bag of nerves I reckon. Players know they must do a job. Forget about what's happened outside, because their players can't. If we turn up there should only be one winner.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #342 on: August 22, 2022, 03:42:01 pm »
Remarkable how people (myself included) are so unconfident about this one. We're so much better than them but it'll be a bag of nerves I reckon. Players know they must do a job. Forget about what's happened outside, because their players can't. If we turn up there should only be one winner.

There were all these times during the first five years of Jürgen where they always managed to raise their game and keep so many clean sheets when they really looked off the pace that has people concerned.
Linudden.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #343 on: August 22, 2022, 03:46:05 pm »

Last sentence sums it up. Fulham game was a promoted side away from home with a point to prove, Palace are no slouches and set up well under Viera and we didn’t take out chances

If we had won either of them games (repeats will happen during the season I’m sure) you’d be getting all the posts about how we’re gonna hit 5 or 6, regardless of it being Manchester United

Still quietly confident but a little wary

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: August 22, 2022, 03:46:45 pm »
Normally confident against this lot in recent years. However, our slow starts and walking wounded upfront has put a dent in my optimism.

I'd play Diaz, Salah and, fuck it, Carvalho if Firmino isnt ready. Fab, Hendo and Kieta if fit. If not, Milner over Elliot. Back five, same as usual.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: August 22, 2022, 03:47:06 pm »
I'd be a lot more confident if we had won both our opening games. 3 without a win makes the next game so much harder and so on. Even a draw tonight will seem like a defeat to me. Need to start getting decent points on the board sooner rather that  later
2 points from 9 would be a complete nightmare

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #346 on: August 22, 2022, 03:47:13 pm »
There were all these times during the first five years of Jürgen where they always managed to raise their game and keep so many clean sheets when they really looked off the pace that has people concerned.

We're their biggest game so they'll always raise it at home against us, especially after last week. Last season being the anomaly but it was still a tough first half there, they caused us problems till we took the game away from them, but their tactics were amateur.  You also know you'll be playing the ref as well.

When they play City their own fans want them to lose, so it's a different ball game.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: August 22, 2022, 03:48:08 pm »
Daft as it was, I think we can give him the benefit of the doubt that he was worked up for a home debut and he’s not going to react that way again

I think so too, but throw in an actual narky player (or several) and a hostile atmosphere (before they leave) and it could have been the site of something similar (in the imaginary world where he's available because he hasn't got worked up yet)

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #348 on: August 22, 2022, 04:13:06 pm »
Just score first for a change!

We can then control the game rather than having to chase it.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: August 22, 2022, 04:15:40 pm »

Just win.. not bothered if it's an ugly own goal or a Salah hattrick that wins it.. Just win pls..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: August 22, 2022, 04:23:08 pm »
The rules state we are awarded the game. It happened to Middlesboro, who forfeited the match.
We should flex our muscles and highlight the rules, which we failed to do last year.

Sick of the PL not imposing the rules.

They won't strike off their most-watched fixture.  No chance.

But yes, the PL aren't great with sticking to their own rules.

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #351 on: August 22, 2022, 04:24:03 pm »
Rumours are they’ve got Mick Lynch up front tonight

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: August 22, 2022, 04:30:29 pm »
No ronaldo or maguire. Gives them much more of a chance to be honest.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #353 on: August 22, 2022, 04:32:04 pm »
If he does go with Varane over Maguire and doesn't play Ronaldo and we still win, then ten Hag is in a real pickle as to what he should do in the next game.  If they get a result, then he's vindicated, but if we batter them with him making those changes, then where does he go from there?  He'll have already tried everything, and only 3 games in.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #354 on: August 22, 2022, 04:33:42 pm »
Continuing on from last season this is about as clear a mismatch vs. MUFC as at anytime I can remember in being a fan.  Even with the injuries and absences we have played well enough to have 6 points with some better luck. There should be little reason why our luck won't finally turn. We're clearly better than Brighton and Brentford who had little trouble turning them over. Unless Ten Haag was lying in his presser he's going to continue with the same tactics, albeit possibly with a shuffle in personnel, which we should be able to just crush.

A football is round and can bounce in funny ways. Its why results don't always go the way you think they'll go. But we should be confident here that we'll perform to the level needed and come away with the 3 points.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #355 on: August 22, 2022, 04:34:03 pm »

This.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #356 on: August 22, 2022, 04:36:56 pm »
Martial starting up front apparently
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #357 on: August 22, 2022, 04:40:32 pm »
Heard some say Varane may play. He's obviously their best centre half but he barely even played last season and couldn't be arsed for either of the games against us. Need a big performance from Bobby should he start.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: August 22, 2022, 04:42:45 pm »
Despite our injuries and suspension we should still have too much for this United,would be nice to not concede first for the 7th PL match in a row to give us a good platform for the game.

Always wary for these games and won't ever take the points for granted but it's about time we take 3 points this season.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #359 on: August 22, 2022, 04:52:15 pm »
Starting to get a bit edgy now.

On a side note I am currently on holiday and I am two hours ahead of you lot. So if you want to know the score earlier let me know and I will update you as it happens.
alf a pound of braeburns!