Author Topic: Pre-match thread: Manchester United vs Liverpool  (Read 35544 times)

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Pre-match thread: Manchester United vs Liverpool
« Reply #280 on: August 22, 2022, 11:11:04 am »
Just worried we are short on fire power up front.
Mo is an obvious threat. The who?  Hope fully Luis fills up the blanks.
Set pieces are key.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: August 22, 2022, 11:17:01 am »
Would be funny if they get the game called off only to have it rescheduled when our squad is less depleted with injuries and suspension.

The rules state we are awarded the game. It happened to Middlesboro, who forfeited the match.
We should flex our muscles and highlight the rules, which we failed to do last year.

Sick of the PL not imposing the rules.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #282 on: August 22, 2022, 11:17:41 am »
Just need to play Allisson and Keita

Rest all the lads and keep it to a respectable 12-0
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: August 22, 2022, 11:23:27 am »
Game 3 and we’re at must win stage :lmao

Please just win

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: August 22, 2022, 11:28:08 am »
Just worried we are short on fire power up front.
Mo is an obvious threat. The who?  Hope fully Luis fills up the blanks.

Diaz is a major threat if he doesn't come so deep and plays like he did second half against Palace

Firmino scored a brace against United not long ago

Not got much on the bench though so hopefully those 3 can do the job!

Offline MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #285 on: August 22, 2022, 11:30:36 am »
Into these tonight, reds!

No fucking about - quick start and don't concede first please!

2-0 Mo & Diaz. :scarf

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #286 on: August 22, 2022, 11:38:15 am »
Into these tonight, reds!

No fucking about - quick start and don't concede first please!

2-0 Mo & Diaz. :scarf

That would be marvellous.

Subject to any more injuries Gomez and VVD should be more than capable of dealing with their attacks.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: August 22, 2022, 11:46:51 am »
Think Nunez would of terrorised Martinez in this so it's dissapointing from that point of view.

Hopefully Bobby is more up to speed because against Fulham it was like playing with 10, which I know we did well with against Palace, probably better than 11 but not sure we should play every game like that.

Same goes for Fabinho, just need to find intensity because it's crippling otherwise.

As it's Man United I hope the players have that extra motivation to help get us the win.

Offline Gerard00

• Anny Roader
« Reply #288 on: August 22, 2022, 11:51:05 am »
Any win will do as 2 points from 9 given our fixtures and Utds form would be bordering on disaster.

Not sure if its surprising or not but the pressure is all on us- looking at the usual reports its all about whether utd stand any chance of winning - given their form its understandable but heaping the pressure on us always seems to backfire in some way so i'm hoping we live up to the hype and find our shooting boots tonight.

Online vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #289 on: August 22, 2022, 12:02:28 pm »
In some ways its a shame Brentford hammered them as I think they will now compromise and set up much more defensively. I think TAW suggested that they might put Martinez in front of the back 4 and try to hit us on the break, that wouldn't surprise me. Had they not been thrashed I think Ten Hag would have persisted with his more attacking midfield. I now expect a more pragmatic defensive team and approach from them.

Feels like we need to start fast and put them under pressure, if we do and score I would expect them to crumble. If we don't then I would be concerned with giving them hope and something to build on. Sancho and Rashford are very capable given the right circumstances. We need to push them back and isolate whatever forwards they play.

Online has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: August 22, 2022, 12:11:04 pm »
They have much more to lose by not going for it than we do. Am sure it will be a cagey start, though as the game opens up, gaps appear and they will be hopefully be horribly exposed. Our team should mop them up.
- all in my opinion of course -

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: August 22, 2022, 12:13:51 pm »
In some ways its a shame Brentford hammered them as I think they will now compromise and set up much more defensively. I think TAW suggested that they might put Martinez in front of the back 4 and try to hit us on the break, that wouldn't surprise me. Had they not been thrashed I think Ten Hag would have persisted with his more attacking midfield. I now expect a more pragmatic defensive team and approach from them.

Feels like we need to start fast and put them under pressure, if we do and score I would expect them to crumble. If we don't then I would be concerned with giving them hope and something to build on. Sancho and Rashford are very capable given the right circumstances. We need to push them back and isolate whatever forwards they play.
I agree.  They dominated possession against Brentford but I don't think they'll be trying that against us.  We'll see a lot of "qaurterback passes" from Fernandes looking to spring their wide forwards.

If Gomez is fit and starts I'm pretty chilled about them playing that way as we can snuff out the threat to a large extent.  It will make it harder to score if they defend deep and in numbers but that's hardly a new challenge for us.

As others have said the first goal seems very important.  We started slowly against Fulham and conceded while we started really well against Palace but missed chances and then conceded.  More than those games though getting a goal up and ratcheting up the tension amongst the Man U players and supporters feels pivotal.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #292 on: August 22, 2022, 12:20:29 pm »
Not just Nunez, but Jota could have totally had their small centre half off, he's outstanding in the air.

These were truly abject against Brighton and especially Brentford. For me there's nothing they can do to change things up that should be of any worry given our own quality, but tonight we have to perform too. No excuses. If Christian Eriksen is playing in that number 6 role again I expect genuine tears on thousands of faces at Old Trafford as another pummelling should be in order. I want Harry Maguire to receive untold abuse. That said, any win will do ...
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: August 22, 2022, 12:21:06 pm »
It would be great if we could give Casemiro a lovely welcome to his new club by flogging them at home.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: August 22, 2022, 12:22:49 pm »
Don't see it being a one-sided scoreline like last year, surely United have enough about them even in their shit state to make it difficult for us.

Score first, be patient and take them apart. Any win would do for me, particularly with yesterday's results.

Offline RedSmoke

• Main Stander
  • He'll pass the ball, calm as you like....
« Reply #295 on: August 22, 2022, 12:32:58 pm »
Don't see it being a one-sided scoreline like last year, surely United have enough about them even in their shit state to make it difficult for us.

Score first, be patient and take them apart. Any win would do for me, particularly with yesterday's results.

Agree with all of this.

Not comfortable with how the media seem to be expecting us to batter them...

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #296 on: August 22, 2022, 12:33:33 pm »

They'll definitely try harder than any other game this season, hopefully that's not enough though

Online markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #297 on: August 22, 2022, 12:33:59 pm »
They will behave like a cornered rat, after the humiliation of being at the bottom of the table and facing the team they hate most, with the 9-0 of last seasons two thrashings. We are just a bit off, possibly a little twitchy because of results so far. We should win, but we all thought that about the 1st 2 games. Two in the first half please lads to calm me down, given that its another low options bench again.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: August 22, 2022, 12:57:03 pm »
Set pieces are key.

Problem with this is we're missing threats with no Konate/Matip. Gomez doesn't even go up for corners when he plays. Add to that no Mane anymore(and no Nunez to replace that threat) and Elliot in midfield. i'm not sure our set pieces will be as lucrative as we'd like.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Online Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #299 on: August 22, 2022, 12:57:11 pm »
Yep, the timing of this game given the recent results and media stuff does us absolutely no favours - Klopp said he’d have preferred to play these after they’d won 4-0; I think that’s very shrewd, and was for our team’s consumption as much as everyone else.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: August 22, 2022, 12:58:25 pm »
If we score first they'll go down without a fight. Unfortunately scoring first isn't something we've been doing lately.

Online Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #301 on: August 22, 2022, 01:04:26 pm »
Relegation battle this one. Please just win don't care how. We need to take our chances when they come.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #302 on: August 22, 2022, 01:08:20 pm »
I hope Harry Beckenbauer is up to his usual tricks tonight.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #303 on: August 22, 2022, 01:09:37 pm »
We need a Bobby special, it's been a while since he's had a memorable game for us.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Online Saus76

• Complete and utter embarrassment
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #304 on: August 22, 2022, 01:09:47 pm »
A bit of negativity in here. Let's not forget how good we are - and how shit they are. Regardless of injuries, our expected team is strong and more than capable of winning.

Online StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: August 22, 2022, 01:22:05 pm »
I hope Harry Beckenbauer is up to his usual tricks tonight.

Reportedly, he isn't starting.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #306 on: August 22, 2022, 01:32:04 pm »
Problem with this is we're missing threats with no Konate/Matip. Gomez doesn't even go up for corners when he plays. Add to that no Mane anymore(and no Nunez to replace that threat) and Elliot in midfield. i'm not sure our set pieces will be as lucrative as we'd like.

Van Dijk will go up for set-pieces, I don't know why we need both CB's to be doing that anyway.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline BigRedFeetBed

• Main Stander
« Reply #307 on: August 22, 2022, 01:34:50 pm »
I'm confident we win..not as confident as last season but I reckon we still do them. Cant have them taking anything at all away from this game..Social media would be awful but RAWK would be absolute carnage!

3 points, plenty of goals to put a + next to ours, no red cards, no injuries. Clean sheet would be nice too.

5-0 to us please  ;D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 01:38:06 pm by BigRedFeetBed »

Offline Rawkybalboa

• "I wouldn't have a clue..."
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • somebody puts his hand on u, send him2the grave
« Reply #308 on: August 22, 2022, 01:34:56 pm »
Reckon they gonna play Martinez in front of the defence. I f we play high line they gonna go for Sancho Martial and Rashford hoof over the top and get them running past us. They used there speedy players in the friendly and they gonna try again. ronaldo benched.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: August 22, 2022, 01:38:27 pm »
Van Dijk will go up for set-pieces, I don't know why we need both CB's to be doing that anyway.

It's not about CB going up. it's about having a number of guys great in the air attacking the ball. Obviously if we had VVD, Konate and Darwin in the box you increase your chances of one of them getting on the end of a corner or free kick. Right now we have VVD and that's it unless Phillips plays. It's also a concern when defending also.

Online CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: August 22, 2022, 01:41:30 pm »
Yep, the timing of this game given the recent results and media stuff does us absolutely no favours - Klopp said he’d have preferred to play these after they’d won 4-0; I think that’s very shrewd, and was for our team’s consumption as much as everyone else.
I also don't like the media angle on this game. It's like how many are we going to win by. No mention anywhere of a Man Utd win. As a player that must hurt. I expect them to start like Fulham did against us, all guns blazing. I hope we don't get off to one of our 'recent slow starts'
It's a must that we score first.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #311 on: August 22, 2022, 01:42:09 pm »
Reckon they gonna play Martinez in front of the defence. I f we play high line they gonna go for Sancho Martial and Rashford hoof over the top and get them running past us. They used there speedy players in the friendly and they gonna try again. ronaldo benched.

They've been training with Varane alongside Martinez.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #312 on: August 22, 2022, 01:42:47 pm »

Is that a position he played for Ajax?

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #313 on: August 22, 2022, 01:45:17 pm »
Be surprised if they drop Maguire.

And think Ronaldo will start too.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: August 22, 2022, 01:48:03 pm »
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Rawkybalboa

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #315 on: August 22, 2022, 01:53:48 pm »
Is that a position he played for Ajax?

Yes except that he used to clean up with Ajax

Online Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: August 22, 2022, 01:55:14 pm »
Agree with all of this.

Not comfortable with how the media seem to be expecting us to batter them...

Not comfortable with their pace up top, especially if we play are usual high line.

Seems they could go with Sancho, Martial and Rashford.  However rubbish they have been they have the pace to hurt us on the counter.

Offline Rawkybalboa

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #317 on: August 22, 2022, 01:56:29 pm »
Not comfortable with their pace up top, especially if we play are usual high line.

Seems they could go with Sancho, Martial and Rashford.  However rubbish they have been they have the pace to hurt us on the counter.

Agree with this. We really leave our defence exposed sometimes

Online hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #318 on: August 22, 2022, 02:03:28 pm »
Game 3 and we’re at must win stage :lmao

Please just win
It is must win. We know were going to need 90+ points  to win the title, nearer to 100 would be better.

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: August 22, 2022, 02:08:36 pm »
Wonder how these planned protests will affect the United players. A scabby 1-0 win will do us.