Author Topic: Pre-match thread: Manchester United vs Liverpool  (Read 35477 times)

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
Re: Pre-match thread: Manchester United vs Liverpool
« Reply #200 on: August 21, 2022, 11:45:05 am »
I get where you're coming from mate. I think she's referring to the effect it'd have on our momentum and theirs which is true but you're also right because we wouldn't declare ourselves champions if we were in that position.

Some of us are just jaded after near misses but we have to remember that the all-conquering City almost bottled a 14-point lead last season despite the clear advantage they had (lighter calendar and the ability to switch to another sport and play basketball). They are good but I think we tend to overrate them.

We don’t, they’re excellent at footer. What did they run at last season .. 1.6 xg per 90 better than the league ?
honestly it belittles our team if you don’t rate them because they keep beating us to league titles

Against pretty much any other squad in domestic history (maybe 1 or 2 exceptions) this liverpool squad would be on 3 or 4 titles 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 11:46:40 am by JackWard33 »

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: August 21, 2022, 12:07:52 pm »
We don’t, they’re excellent at footer. What did they run at last season .. 1.6 xg per 90 better than the league ?
honestly it belittles our team if you don’t rate them because they keep beating us to league titles

Against pretty much any other squad in domestic history (maybe 1 or 2 exceptions) this liverpool squad would be on 3 or 4 titles
If they are that good, why haven't they won a European cup? Also, they benefited from abject refereeing performances (Arsenal and the Ev while we got shafted against Spurs). In 2019, they benefited from that non-red card that would have been a huge momentum shift.

Manchester teams usually suck in Europe because their refs are unbiased. How many did Fergie win any way and how many have Abu Dhabi won? Coincidence?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 12:16:30 pm by MonsLibpool »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: August 21, 2022, 12:45:50 pm »
See, its logic like this that genuinely perplexes me. If we were 6 points behind City with 5 games to go then there'd be a reasonably good chance of catching them. Granted, it'd be somewhat of an ask, but it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility for us to pull it off. 1 loss for City in a situation like that would have us breathing down their necks going into the final straight. No one would be throwing in the towel. Yet somehow, a 6 point gap with 35 games remaining supposedly makes the title a complete write off? As I say, I just don't get the line of thinking, I really don't

I don't mean to sound provocative here, nor am I aiming this directly at you in any way, but just because you might be the type who doesn't have the stomach for a fight doesn't mean our players are of an equally shithousely nature. Nor does it mean the wider fanbase share your shithousely genes. If you want to throw your towel in in August then go ahead. Just don't expect the rest of us to tolerate your shithousiness, because it ain't a good look

Again, I'm not aiming that directly at you. It's aimed at the few on here who seem to think we're just going to lie down and let City walk this

I dont think its a write off, I still believe we will win the league. But I see it slightly different than you in that City for me dominate a lot of my thoughts in regards to a title race. As I have said before, they definitely live rent free in my head (albeit I hardly watch them play) so I am always on the look out for their results, always thinking about how many points they are ahead, whether they will drop points.

For me they are just such a points winning machine that I don't see how anybody who has an interest in winning the league can not think about them. In your scenarios I would write us off in many of them because they have shown they a) dont give up points easily and b) we have to go on historically great runs just to get close to them.

Thats just how I see it anyway. I think at this point its important for me to state that it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of watching this Liverpool side. I have said many times this is a golden period and I won't be one of those looking back at this period bemoaning what we didn't win, but absolutely delighted I got to see this team win a league, CL, League cup and FA Cup.

After the draw at Chelsea in January last season I threw the towel in, but it didn't stop me enjoying the rest of the league campaign and even if we hadn't have gotten so close, I still would have enjoyed the season. Even if we are out of it (in my opinion) at some stage this season then whilst it will be disappointing from a title challenge point of view, it won't spoil my enjoyment.

Clearly thats not the case for some people. It looks like it really affects some people's happiness and enjoyment. I fortunately am not one of those who gets upset by any of it, even a bad result for us.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #203 on: August 21, 2022, 12:51:36 pm »
I get where you're coming from mate. I think she's referring to the effect it'd have on our momentum and theirs which is true but you're also right because we wouldn't declare ourselves champions if we were in that position.

Some of us are just jaded after near misses but we have to remember that the all-conquering City almost bottled a 14-point lead last season despite the clear advantage they had (lighter calendar and the ability to switch to another sport and play basketball). They are good but I think we tend to overrate them.

Ummm, no?! LOL.

You don’t amass the points totals they have in the league in recent seassons, unless you are REALLY good - like one of the best ever in the league level good.

That is a high level technical team coached to within an inch of their lives to play their robo-football.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: August 21, 2022, 01:11:56 pm »
Ummm, no?! LOL.

You don’t amass the points totals they have in the league in recent seassons, unless you are REALLY good - like one of the best ever in the league level good.

That is a high level technical team coached to within an inch of their lives to play their robo-football.
Then why do they need dodgy decisions to get over the line? It's not in a vacuum, overrating them also entails underrating how good we are.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: August 21, 2022, 01:20:31 pm »
Then why do they need dodgy decisions to get over the line? It's not in a vacuum, overrating them also entails underrating how good we are.

Underrating them is actually a bit of a dig at our own team, but that’s for another discussion (which I have zero interest in having). 

Be careful not to go into Andy levels of referee conspiracy theories. It doesn’t lead to good discussion! 

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #206 on: August 21, 2022, 01:40:53 pm »
Still irks that they got away with getting the match called off last year without any repercussions and we weren't awarded the victory. I expect the match will take place but if it doesn't, it wouldn't surprise me if it gets rearranged again.
If the match doesn't go ahead it will definitely be rearranged. The idea the Premier League would just award us the three points is laughable.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: August 21, 2022, 02:19:20 pm »
If the match doesn't go ahead it will definitely be rearranged. The idea the Premier League would just award us the three points is laughable.

Why is it laughable? They may not because they'd lose on showing one of the biggest matches of the season but there should be a punishment for teams when their fans cause a match to be cancelled.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: August 21, 2022, 02:38:22 pm »
Underrating them is actually a bit of a dig at our own team, but that’s for another discussion (which I have zero interest in having). 

Be careful not to go into Andy levels of referee conspiracy theories. It doesn’t lead to good discussion!
I beg to differ. If we were 7 points clear of them after 3 games, many on here would be shitting it worrying about where we can potentially drop points. We underrate our boss team and overrate theirs.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: August 21, 2022, 02:38:59 pm »
Why is it laughable? They may not because they'd lose on showing one of the biggest matches of the season but there should be a punishment for teams when their fans cause a match to be cancelled.

I’m guessing laughable cos it’s the premier league we’re talking about!

It for sure would be the right thing to do, but who trusts this league to do what is right. This is one of the very biggest games in their calendar.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #210 on: August 21, 2022, 02:50:11 pm »
Some mad talk here of easy wins etc... Yes we may win 4/5 nil again but right now we just need a win any type of win against our traditional biggest rival who usually have the officials onside also. I'd take a a 1-0 right now if i could and move on.
Why does that matter, though? Surely it's in the nature of fans to be excessively positive about their side? If we say we'll thrash them, put 5 past them etc it creates a positive can-do, we'll twat 'em type atmosphere which is much better than an anxious, doubt-ridden one; for a fan site, I mean.

And if we then fail to twat them, or even if we lose, so what? It'll only matter if you care about what others 'banter' at you. And taking it on the chin after a loss or dropped points or poor performance is also part of being a fan.

And anyway rivals and bantz boys will take the piss regardless of what we said before the game. They don't become all even-handed and say "fair enough me old mucker you never said it'd be a twatting and an easy win so I'll leave you alone and not take the piss".

So let's twat these!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 02:54:47 pm by Ghost Town »
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #211 on: August 21, 2022, 02:59:53 pm »
See, its logic like this that genuinely perplexes me. If we were 6 points behind City with 5 games to go then there'd be a reasonably good chance of catching them. Granted, it'd be somewhat of an ask, but it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility for us to pull it off. 1 loss for City in a situation like that would have us breathing down their necks going into the final straight. No one would be throwing in the towel. Yet somehow, a 6 point gap with 35 games remaining supposedly makes the title a complete write off? As I say, I just don't get the line of thinking, I really don't
You think not? I think you're expecting more than you'll get here ;) ;D

I don't mean to sound provocative here, nor am I aiming this directly at you in any way, but just because you might be the type who doesn't have the stomach for a fight doesn't mean our players are of an equally shithousely nature. Nor does it mean the wider fanbase share your shithousely genes. If you want to throw your towel in in August then go ahead. Just don't expect the rest of us to tolerate your shithousiness, because it ain't a good look

Again, I'm not aiming that directly at you. It's aimed at the few on here who seem to think we're just going to lie down and let City walk this
Yep. Well said

Last season crowds of posters here had given up part way through the season. And weren't slow in telling us, over and over again, even calling us deluded if we said "this is sport, let's wait and see what happens".

Yet we got to within a Villa collapse of winning the title.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #212 on: August 21, 2022, 03:16:59 pm »
I can’t be arsed thinking about weeks in which City may drop points or where we can catch them up. I love a title race but thinking about making up 6 or 7 points in August is bollocks.

I dont think its a write off, I still believe we will win the league.

Almost so ridiculous that I actually think that’s a tremendous fishing trip
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: August 21, 2022, 03:45:09 pm »

Almost so ridiculous that I actually think that’s a tremendous fishing trip

Whats wrong with what I said? It is bollocks if we had to chase 6 or 7 points?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: August 21, 2022, 03:54:37 pm »
Whats wrong with what I said? It is bollocks if we had to chase 6 or 7 points?

That we couldn’t win the title? Um…yeah, grade A premium type bollocks. We were further behind than that in January last season and chased it down to a point, so why on earth would anyone think we couldn’t do it with nine months of the season left? If we were seven points clear of Man City in August I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t proclaim us champions
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: August 21, 2022, 04:01:37 pm »
That we couldn’t win the title? Um…yeah, grade A premium type bollocks. We were further behind than that in January last season and chased it down to a point, so why on earth would anyone think we couldn’t do it with nine months of the season left? If we were seven points clear of Man City in August I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t proclaim us champions

Yeah we could win the title. Didnt say we wont.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: August 21, 2022, 04:09:02 pm »
Yeah we could win the title. Didnt say we wont.
Relax.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #217 on: August 21, 2022, 04:22:56 pm »

I would love it if they got the match cancelled and our fans got the rearranged fixture cancelled to make a point about the PL allowing their antics to go unpunished.
Believer

Offline Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: August 21, 2022, 04:29:03 pm »
Isn’t there a deadline for rearranged games, that they have to be rescheduled within a certain time period? Can’t just shift a game from August to say January, whatever the reason. IF it gets called off, they forfeit. The PL ought to be making a statement to that effect now, if only to act as a deterrent to their horde of unhinged green and gold gobshites.

if its called off the, they need to forfeit the points and receive a points deduction..
unless there is a massive police presence, and with people like Goldbridge goading the fans, cant see a 10,000+ fan protest not turning ugly..
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 04:30:48 pm by Paul_h »

Offline andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #219 on: August 21, 2022, 04:33:58 pm »
If they get it postponed, they should be docked 3 points and WE get to choose when the rearranged game is...probably a Friday night after they've played Thursday.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: August 21, 2022, 05:35:03 pm »
If they get it postponed, they should be docked 3 points and WE get to choose when the rearranged game is...probably a Friday night after they've played Thursday.

They should use the UEFA method of simply awarding 3 points with a 3:0 scoreline then fine them.

Offline buttersstotch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: August 21, 2022, 05:43:10 pm »
It is surely much harder for the game to get called off this time? Pretty sure it was because they couldn't gurantee security last time - can't see the fans breaking in to the ground, changing rooms etc.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: August 21, 2022, 06:33:34 pm »
Phew so only five points at the moment, we’re still in this! And I would love it, love it if we beat these tomorrow!

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: August 21, 2022, 06:40:32 pm »
Takes a shit tonne of pressure off our game tomorrow.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #224 on: August 21, 2022, 06:41:32 pm »
Winning 3 times in a row at OT is gonna be...uhhmm yeah.

I'm more interested in finding some rhythm in our play even if it means not winning. The sooner we get our groove back the sooner we can go on a run.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #225 on: August 21, 2022, 06:50:52 pm »
Big game just got bigger...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #226 on: August 21, 2022, 06:53:43 pm »
Huge match already wasn’t it ?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: August 21, 2022, 06:55:32 pm »
Have to win tomorrow. It’s not going to be easy but we have to capitalise on dropped points by City.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: August 21, 2022, 06:56:49 pm »
Come on!

Offline Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: August 21, 2022, 06:59:27 pm »

Offline Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: August 21, 2022, 07:01:21 pm »
It is surely much harder for the game to get called off this time? Pretty sure it was because they couldn't gurantee security last time - can't see the fans breaking in to the ground, changing rooms etc.

unless the Neviller accidentally leaves them all open before the game... :D

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: August 21, 2022, 07:04:05 pm »
I’m guessing laughable cos it’s the premier league we’re talking about!

It for sure would be the right thing to do, but who trusts this league to do what is right. This is one of the very biggest games in their calendar.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect them to do the right thing. I doubt it's going to happen now anyway, for one security will be much tighter but mainly the Glazers have thrown them a bone in Casemiro so that will have appeased them for a while.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: August 21, 2022, 07:20:04 pm »
It would be an great way to kick start the season, smash them at their own gaff, humiliate them and then go on a winning run

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: August 21, 2022, 07:25:24 pm »
It would be an great way to kick start the season, smash them at their own gaff, humiliate them and then go on a winning run
Win and the first two games become irrelevant.

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: August 21, 2022, 07:27:14 pm »
Takes a shit tonne of pressure off our game tomorrow.

not really, still need the win

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: August 21, 2022, 07:43:11 pm »
So many factors in this game but I see a 1-1 draw happening.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #236 on: August 21, 2022, 07:46:54 pm »
There should be, but there isn't and won't be one.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #237 on: August 21, 2022, 07:53:11 pm »

Well they could pursue the pitch invasion option.

That doesn’t seem to lead to any penalty, does it you Bitter bastards?

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #238 on: August 21, 2022, 07:54:02 pm »
Snow Salah is coming out early this season, and it begins on Monday.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: August 21, 2022, 08:14:24 pm »
Hope they play Davis at the back.