Author Topic: Pre-match thread: Manchester United vs Liverpool  (Read 35492 times)

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Pre-match thread: Manchester United vs Liverpool
« on: August 17, 2022, 02:17:57 pm »
Manchester United vs Liverpool

20:00, Monday 22nd August
Old Trafford, Manchester
Premier League
Referee: Michael Oliver

This is it lads and lasses; The biggest game in English football without a shadow of a doubt. The two teams are storied clubs that enjoyed two decades of domestic success constructed by legendary Scottish managers and they have 39 league titles between them. They’ve also endured tragic events i.e. The Hillsborough and Munich disasters.

Although Liverpool have a greater European heritage, the two giants are more similar than their supporters would like to admit. Both have had legendary Scottish managers and Sir Matt Busby, their greatest ever manager in my opinion, captained Liverpool. Perhaps, the familiarity with the experiences of their opposite number is what breeds contempt.   

I grew up in the Fergie era and I absolutely hated them because they chipped away at and eventually surpassed our record number of league titles. Their fans used to rub our noses in it with glee. Things have changed now and, even though we are currently not as dominant as they were, we can now say that the shoe is firmly on the other foot. Since they last won a trophy, we’ve won the lot and we are firmly back on our perch.

That was unthinkable when Mr. Ferguson decided to retire but if that great Liverpool side founded on the traditions of the Boot Room could collapse and go 30 long years without a league title, then anything can happen. They are currently stuck in a post-Fergie rot and have tried to spend their away out of trouble. Their net spend since 2013 has exceeded GBP1bn but it has gone from bad to worse for them and they haven’t won a trophy in 6 seasons, the league in 10 seasons and the European cup in 15 seasons.

I believe that they’ve not been successful in the last decade because they have deviated from their way of doing things which was laid down by Sir Matt i.e. promoting young players and making the odd big signing to top it up.

The winner will get 3 points for a win but this game is a lot more important than that. Given how both sides have started the season, a win would be a big relief while a loss would be a disaster. It is white and black with no shades of gray. A lot of media pressure comes with it because it is the most televised football match in England. The loser would therefore be subject to severe press criticism for weeks which can put a dent in squad morale.  Basically, only a win is good enough for both sides.

Recent meetings
Our 5-0 win at Old Trafford last season was fun, wasn’t it? Prior to that, we didn’t have a good record there both performance-wise and in terms of results(1 win in 7). We used to play within ourselves which is understandable given how big the game is and the hostility we are subjected to. Now that we’ve gotten over that mental block, we can focus on the match and not the occasion.

Our 4-2 win at the back end of the 2020/21 season was also thoroughly satisfying. All our senior centrebacks were out injured and they rested many players in their previous game against Leicester, our rivals for the top 4. They took an early lead but we turned it around with a late Salah goal sealing the comeback.

Expected lineups
At the time I drafted this, I expected Harvey and Darwin to start but the latter’s straight red has changed things. None of our recognized center forwards are available for this clash. Personally, I’d opt for Fabio Carvalho as a false 9 because playing Mo as a striker will mean that either Fabio or Diaz will play on the right which doesn’t suit them.

I’d also reward Harvey’s good form by starting him. It’d be a huge test for the lad but he can only learn how to play these types of games by actually playing them. Joe looked good against Palace and should start to counter their pace on the counter.

With respect to Man Utd, I feel Ronaldo will start because of the magnitude of the fixture. Varane should also come in due to Lisandro Martinez’s poor form.

Therefore, the lineups should look like this:

LFC- Alisson, Trent Gomez Virgil Robbo, Fabinho Henderson Harvey, Diaz Carvalho Salah.

Man Utd- De Gea, Dalot Maguire Varane Shaw, Mctominay Fred Bruno Fernandes, Sancho Ronaldo Rashford.

Tactics
The sample size is really small but I expect United to come out of their traps with an aggressive press to get their fans onside. We have to make sure that we don’t concede in the first ten minutes to quieten their crowd then we can take it from there.

Football teams are only as strong as their weakest link and United’s major weaknesses are their lack of recovery pace when countered and the fact that they are not press resistant. If they play the way they played in their first two games, we can really hurt them with Diaz’s and Salah’s speed. Our pressing goes without saying and that should put them under a lot of pressure.

Weather
It is likely to be dry which will suit us to the ground because we are simply a better football team than them. This will also reduce the risk of injuries as a result of players slipping or due to the slickness of the pitch making tackles more ferocious than intended.

The big picture
Given that City play the day before, we are likely to be more than two games off the pace going into this. We can’t afford to get carried away by the occasion or the pressures of the title race at this stage (as ridiculous as it sounds).

We have to go into the game with the knowledge that we are a better team than them and that if we play to our potential, we will win.

Safety
The most successful team in England are coming to town and they are planning to take advantage of the media frenzy by organizing Anti-Glazers protests. Reds attending the game should stay safe and stay clear of knob heads that might want to use the negative atmosphere as an excuse.

Who do you think will replace Darwin and why and how are you feeling going into this?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 03:09:24 pm by MonsLibpool »

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
Re: Pre-match thread: Manchester United vs Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 02:27:55 pm »
Great Op, very to the point..
We simply must win this, and we should be heavy favorites, our slow start and the dent not winning our first two is a risk. But surely our quality will tell early enough, and we shout rout them, 4-1 to us.
Elliott to start, I agree. we need to control the game from the start.
Nervous as hell to be honest.. will Bobby be back
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 02:30:44 pm by Realgman »
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 02:28:27 pm »
Must win.

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 02:30:50 pm »
Superb OP.

p/s: Monday night is a trend.  8)
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 02:33:03 pm »
Starting 11 should be more than enough, assuming the 50/50 guys like Gomez, Keita and Henderson are all back.  Hopefully Bobby has recovered from his knock too.

The bench will be threadbare though, but surely we won't need to chase the game.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 02:35:22 pm »
Starting 11 should be more than enough, assuming the 50/50 guys like Gomez, Keita and Henderson are all back.  Hopefully Bobby has recovered from his knock too.

The bench will be threadbare though, but surely we won't need to chase the game.

Thats the bloody issue though isnt it, going behind in our last 6 league games... These ropey starts are killing us...

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 02:38:10 pm »
Must win.

I mean...yeah it kind of is isn't it?

If he's fit Gomez absolutely has to start. He was superb Monday when he came on. I'd like to see Keita back in midfield. I wouldn't mind Fab being on the bench and Jordan in the #6. I think Elliot's weaker points in defence can be accepted for what he gives us. Up top here's hoping Bobby makes it, if not then would it be carvallho or a formation tweak with Mo and Diaz up top?
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 02:44:18 pm »
They look horrendous but i'm not overly confident ahead of this which feels weird.

Just fucking win. Think our 2 starting line ups have had questionable choices so far so be good to see back to basics and take the game to them. Might seem harsh to some but no excuses mot to beat these. Even with the injuries and suspension they're abysmal

Offline Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 02:55:05 pm »
Mancthony Taylor ?. I thought i had read somewhere it was Oliver ?.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 03:02:14 pm »
Great Op, very to the point..
We simply must win this, and we should be heavy favorites, our slow start and the dent not winning our first two is a risk. But surely our quality will tell early enough, and we shout rout them, 4-1 to us.
Elliott to start, I agree. we need to control the game from the start.
Nervous as hell to be honest.. will Bobby be back
Yes mate. I know it's a cliché but this is really a must-win game. I'd take any win.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2022, 03:03:34 pm »
Next 5 games are

Man Utd (a)
Bournemouth (h)
Newcastle (h)
Everton (a)
Wolves (h)

Win all those (I see no reason why we can't), we'll be on 17 points out of a possible 21 after 7 games, which is the exact same number of points we had after our first 7 games last season.

Alisson
Trent
Gomez
Van Dijk
Robertson
Fabinho
Henderson
Keita
Diaz
Firmino
Salah

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2022, 03:07:32 pm »
Superb OP.

p/s: Monday night is a trend.  8)
COME ON!

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2022, 03:07:36 pm »
Don't concede the first goal and take our chances and we'll be fine  :)

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2022, 03:09:46 pm »
Mancthony Taylor ?. I thought i had read somewhere it was Oliver ?.
You are right. I've updated it.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2022, 03:10:20 pm »
must win.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2022, 03:12:39 pm »
They look horrendous but i'm not overly confident ahead of this which feels weird.

Just fucking win. Think our 2 starting line ups have had questionable choices so far so be good to see back to basics and take the game to them. Might seem harsh to some but no excuses mot to beat these. Even with the injuries and suspension they're abysmal
Same here. If we'd beaten Palace and Núñez hadn't been sent off, I'd have been extremely confident.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2022, 03:20:07 pm »
Same here. If we'd beaten Palace and Núñez hadn't been sent off, I'd have been extremely confident.

On the other hand, think we will come out swinging against United, as they can't even claim to be underdogs with a full team on hand for the match. Ten Hag won't be as pragmatic as Ole, think they will suffer from a lack of decisiveness when coming up against us. Spaces will open up as they try to play out from the back, and their lack of midfield quality will show in transition.

Think we will do well actually.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2022, 03:22:58 pm »
Noticed that Trent was popping up as a number 9 on monday, obviously because of the need for a goal. It's a long time since we last had a gap there because of Firmino's reliability so if we don't have anybody to fill the gap will we choose to play a different style? Will be an interesting sight the line up but I expect to see Gomez, Henderson, Carvalho and Elliott (depending on fitness) which would be interesting.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2022, 03:28:03 pm »
Is as much a derby game as the blue shite one is. Anything goes in this fixture, sometimes form doesn't matter 1 bit.

It is, however, as good a time to meet them as its ever been, despite our injury issues.

Probably a must win, if only to get our season rockin again.
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2022, 03:28:30 pm »
United will be parking the bus for this one. Nunez’s absence gives the little guy in United’s defence a chance to build some confidence as he won’t have as much to worry about in the air.
Another draw coming up I’m afraid.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2022, 03:33:19 pm »
^ no doubt about it, like all small teams they park the bus against us and try a smash and grab.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2022, 03:36:31 pm »
ten haag may be stubborn and keep trying to play his way, which would play right into our hands. fingers crossed.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2022, 04:08:24 pm »
United will be parking the bus for this one. Nunez’s absence gives the little guy in United’s defence a chance to build some confidence as he won’t have as much to worry about in the air.
Another draw coming up I’m afraid.

Ten Hag never parked the bus at Ajax, even when he was going up against big teams in the CL. I doubt he will start doing that now, he's a fairly stubborn manager that will force his will over the squad no matter the cost. I am pretty certain, for example, he will continue to make them play it out from the back much like how Arteta forced Arsenal to do it against us time and time again.

For him, it's about educating the squad, which will work perfectly fine for us. If he has to play the second string in order to make it happen, he will do it.

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2022, 04:21:14 pm »
Ten Hag never parked the bus at Ajax, even when he was going up against big teams in the CL. I doubt he will start doing that now, he's a fairly stubborn manager that will force his will over the squad no matter the cost. I am pretty certain, for example, he will continue to make them play it out from the back much like how Arteta forced Arsenal to do it against us time and time again.

For him, it's about educating the squad, which will work perfectly fine for us. If he has to play the second string in order to make it happen, he will do it.
Maybe so, however we are down to the bare bones of the squad now so I don’t think it will be an easy game either way.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2022, 04:25:10 pm »
Play fast, stop dwelling on the ball, pass to each other on the ground, pull them apart with quick passing, attack their weak points, which they have all over the team. They won't be able to cope with the best of us. If the best of us shows up...

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2022, 04:39:05 pm »
This is me every single time we play these bastards.

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2022, 04:46:49 pm »
I think the biggest pick is Gomez. It was weird watching Virgil coming across to cover the space in behind Phillips against palace. Its probably been covered on the forum why Gomez didn't start. Anyway think we have got this in a close game.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2022, 04:54:04 pm »
Some #mufc players feel Ten Hag's approach does not suit their skill set and they would favour a more pragmatic approach against Liverpool [@samuelluckhurst]
ETH would be on borrowed time if we win.

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2022, 05:23:45 pm »
This is me every single time we play these bastards.

I've always hated this fixture.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2022, 05:47:24 pm »
Got a draw all over it unfortunately.

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2022, 05:51:17 pm »
Got a draw all over it unfortunately.

Ah stop, you reckon a draw really, why? We have had a slow start, but we are miles better than these. I know anything can happen, especially in this fixture, but do you reckon a draw based on the ability of both teams right now?

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2022, 05:55:55 pm »
Ah stop, you reckon a draw really, why? We have had a slow start, but we are miles better than these. I know anything can happen, especially in this fixture, but do you reckon a draw based on the ability of both teams right now?
I reckon we’re miles better than Fulham and Palace too.
We’re just not playing well enough yet, missing so many of the chances we are creating plus conceding almost as many chances.

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2022, 06:01:23 pm »
I reckon we’re miles better than Fulham and Palace too.
We’re just not playing well enough yet, missing so many of the chances we are creating plus conceding almost as many chances.
I agree we are playing poorly relative to where we were for most of last season (the last few games notwithstanding), but united are on the floor...

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2022, 06:02:00 pm »
I'm putting my hands up straight away.

Since their 4-0 thrashing I've been loving watching their fan reaction stuff. Only cos I got Mancs among the inlaws like. Its been amazing and brilliant.

Karma is bound to bite me in the ass so not tooooooooo confident about this one. 7-1 Liverpool.

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2022, 06:05:26 pm »
I agree we are playing poorly relative to where we were for most of last season (the last few games notwithstanding), but united are on the floor...
Yet if they win they go above us. Neither side can lose this game which is why I reckon a draw. If we had a full team I would think differently, but we haven’t.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2022, 06:18:59 pm »
Draw would be a huge blow and most likely put us 6 behind City. A loss would be a disaster.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2022, 06:20:43 pm »

I think they will have to be up for it due to their start and it’s away and we aren’t firing on all cylinders at the minute and lost our number 9 for 3 matches. 2-2 I think.

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2022, 06:28:43 pm »
 ;D

This sounds more like it!

I do get the apprehension around draws, and I am nervous, but jaysis we are a way better team, with better players, and a better coach, and (bad as it is), better form..
I hope you lads predicting the draw are wrong.. and Andy Muller, its this that brings me some optimism, that they have to go for it..if we contain for the first 15 or so, with them coming at us, I think we will bash them.

I'm putting my hands up straight away.

Since their 4-0 thrashing I've been loving watching their fan reaction stuff. Only cos I got Mancs among the inlaws like. Its been amazing and brilliant.

Karma is bound to bite me in the ass so not tooooooooo confident about this one. 7-1 Liverpool.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 06:30:23 pm by Realgman »

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2022, 06:44:02 pm »
Draw would be a huge blow and most likely put us 6 behind City. A loss would be a disaster.
Losing this is unthinkable. I'd stay off RAWK and social media in general for a week.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2022, 06:46:19 pm »
Let’s see if it actually goes ahead….
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W