Author Topic: Chelsea FC  (Read 339694 times)

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Chelsea FC - Sponsored by “The Liquidator"
« Reply #27120 on: August 5, 2022, 04:15:40 am »
I think Boehly is living his best life. Flying around Europe, eating and drinking well and making deals until Tuchel tells him no. Sounds pretty nice to me. In the end he'll hire a front office to clean up the mess he's making now and nobody will care long term.

As far as Cucerella, it's probably the same mistake FSG made with Carroll because MLB trades are always looked at from the "net" perspective and not what it does to the market overall. Boehly probably only views it as a ~£40m price or whatever after the Colwill fee from Brighton in return. That's just not the way European football markets work though and now he's setting a bad precedent for his club as far as what they're willing to pay for sub-superstar level players in that position.

He’ll have all the agents calling him inviting him to dinner.

Also, I read that he said he’d copy Liverpool and City In giving Tuchel full autonomy on transfers. But that’s not how we work! Apparently, Tuchel is the one requesting these players and they’re not using scouts, analysts or any recruitment team.

He’s appointed himself sporting director whereas at the LA Dodgers it’s Friedman responsible for recruitment, isn’t it?

He’s literally playing Football Manager.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Racer

• Shit Aldi Snickers
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #27121 on: August 5, 2022, 02:19:49 pm »
£52 mill for Marc Cucurella, that’s some hefty money, Chelsea yet again splashing a load of cash.

Sky (yes I know) are reporting in excess of £60m. After this signing Chelsea have already spent c£170m with more to come this window. How are they adhering to FFP?

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27122 on: August 5, 2022, 02:21:29 pm »
Sky (yes I know) are reporting in excess of £60m. After this signing Chelsea have already spent c£170m with more to come this window. How are they adhering to FFP?
BBC says £60m as well

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27123 on: August 5, 2022, 02:40:40 pm »
Didnt the plastics have a gorge in the transfer market last year to, though think they recouped most of it in sales.  .. Currently a net spend of -£160m and counting for this year and they already have quite a bloated squad.

Headless chickens with a wallet, trying to settle all those players in time for the season will be fun. Am sure Tuchel will lift the top moaner trophy again to when it goes pear shaped and has to spend another £100m on "tweaks".

What a crappy football club.
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #27124 on: August 5, 2022, 02:49:46 pm »

yeah that was the original fee.

It is now 62 mill, utterly bonkers.

If the get Forfana in as well and another midfielder as rumoured, they will end up spending in excess of 300 mill this summer  :o

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #27125 on: August 5, 2022, 02:52:06 pm »

Hazardous endeavour, that...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #27126 on: August 5, 2022, 03:06:01 pm »
Marc Cucarella would have to be the next Ashley Cole to justify that fee. It's a ridiculous fee that sets a precedent going forward. Brighton have taken them to the cleaners
Imagine how much Robbo is worth.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #27127 on: August 5, 2022, 03:52:09 pm »
Chelsea have more spending power than ever. What a surprise.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #27128 on: August 5, 2022, 04:04:04 pm »
Chelsea have more spending power than ever. What a surprise.

He is just making a name for himself if this pushes them backwards there is little reason that spending like this will continue.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27129 on: August 5, 2022, 04:19:33 pm »
He is just making a name for himself if this pushes them backwards there is little reason that spending like this will continue.
I agree.  I'd be a bit concerned if they were buying with any coherency but they're really not.  It's not far off PSG throwing money around to end up with a strike-force of Messi, Mbappe and Neymar then wondering why the manager can't make it work.

I've said before and still believe it that this is a one-off bonanza transfer window for Chelsea.  They're going to be left with a big hangover from this.

I'd be interested to know what our somewhat more experienced owners make of how Boehly has approached things.  It has strong summer 2014 vibes and that's a lesson our owners learnt the hard way.  It took us a good few years to shake off the negative impacts of that transfer window.

Offline Red46

• Main Stander
« Reply #27130 on: August 5, 2022, 04:47:32 pm »
You get the sense that Chelsea need these signings to work, unlike in the abramovitch era where they could just keep spending pretty much in perpetuity until they stumbled across a good side I don’t think they can do that anymore. If these players flop Chelsea could be in a bit of trouble.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #27131 on: August 5, 2022, 04:49:34 pm »
The problem is the lack of aligned thinking and the clear lack of structure to how they're recruiting - they have clear needs in specific areas and have only addressed them to an extent, whilst struggling to move on players in those positions who are no longer wanted, who themselves cost large fees to begin with. Werner, Lukaku and Ziyech was a front three costing £200m, yet two remain with few suitors and one is out on loan with about 5% of his transfer fee having been recouped. They've signed one CB and seem to be flitting from target to target looking for others, with no thought to how they play structurally speaking - attempts to get Kounde and Kimpembe seemed odd seeing as they profile so, so much like Koulibaly and even play in the exact same spot. Playing them in a three wouldn't work because they replicate each other's strengths whilst offering no variety or coverage of shared weaknesses.

Then they've allocated good chunks of budget to players you can't understand where they fit in such as Chukwuemeka. Then even players who make *some* semblance of sense - like Cucurella if Alonso is leaving - are being brought into positions where they already have expensive, quality players (albeit injury prone - Chilwell), but at massive cost. The actual spending profile of the way they've allocated limited resources (don't be fooled) is atrocious. They still need midfield reinforcement, a proper striker and maybe two more centre halves, but none of this is seemingly being prioritised. Well, it certainly isn't when they're bringing in wingers and full backs in positions they're stocked in.

It reeks of them having a list of players they like, that they know are linked to other successful clubs, such as Kounde, Cucurella etc.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #27132 on: August 5, 2022, 05:17:15 pm »
You get the sense that Chelsea need these signings to work, unlike in the abramovitch era where they could just keep spending pretty much in perpetuity until they stumbled across a good side I don’t think they can do that anymore. If these players flop Chelsea could be in a bit of trouble.
This is a great point and one I've thought all summer - part of the reason this is such a heady and risky splurge is that they need something to happen that virtually never does - every single big signing to be a big success. They also need them to have longevity, because they simply can't spend like this moving forward.

All the roadmaps set out by the consortium stated they had £1bn to allocate to player purchases over the first decade of ownership, and they're spending over £300m in one season, which would hypothetically leave them £700m for signings over 9 seasons with the market constantly inflating.

If this window is like their last big signing drive, where arguably 2/7 were successes and they're left with high-wage misfits, they will not properly recover from it.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27133 on: August 5, 2022, 05:37:58 pm »
This is a great point and one I've thought all summer - part of the reason this is such a heady and risky splurge is that they need something to happen that virtually never does - every single big signing to be a big success. They also need them to have longevity, because they simply can't spend like this moving forward.

All the roadmaps set out by the consortium stated they had £1bn to allocate to player purchases over the first decade of ownership, and they're spending over £300m in one season, which would hypothetically leave them £700m for signings over 9 seasons with the market constantly inflating.

If this window is like their last big signing drive, where arguably 2/7 were successes and they're left with high-wage misfits, they will not properly recover from it.

I agree they'll be more looking to offset from sales in the future. It's the Academy that allows them to do that though, it's a pure talent farm. The likes of Broja, Gallagher and Colwill seem to emerge every year. They sold the likes of Guehi, Abraham, Tomori and Livramento last year but there's just more and more. It really boosts the budget and they often get buyback clauses in as well.

It's like Abramavich's first summer at the minute. Like a kid in a sweetshop wanting to buy everything in it. They'll be inflating the price for the likes of Bellingham and Rice next year and the midfield market we'll want to buy in.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27134 on: August 5, 2022, 05:49:32 pm »
Madness paying that for him.

Online Breakdown

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #27135 on: August 6, 2022, 01:24:33 am »
60 odd million for cucurella is genuinely bonkers! think tuchel is gone before february.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27136 on: August 6, 2022, 01:39:39 am »
Imagine how much Robbo is worth.
Robbo may well not work as well in another team/tactical setup.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27137 on: August 6, 2022, 01:40:39 am »
The problem is the lack of aligned thinking and the clear lack of structure to how they're recruiting - they have clear needs in specific areas and have only addressed them to an extent, whilst struggling to move on players in those positions who are no longer wanted, who themselves cost large fees to begin with. Werner, Lukaku and Ziyech was a front three costing £200m, yet two remain with few suitors and one is out on loan with about 5% of his transfer fee having been recouped. They've signed one CB and seem to be flitting from target to target looking for others, with no thought to how they play structurally speaking - attempts to get Kounde and Kimpembe seemed odd seeing as they profile so, so much like Koulibaly and even play in the exact same spot. Playing them in a three wouldn't work because they replicate each other's strengths whilst offering no variety or coverage of shared weaknesses.

Then they've allocated good chunks of budget to players you can't understand where they fit in such as Chukwuemeka. Then even players who make *some* semblance of sense - like Cucurella if Alonso is leaving - are being brought into positions where they already have expensive, quality players (albeit injury prone - Chilwell), but at massive cost. The actual spending profile of the way they've allocated limited resources (don't be fooled) is atrocious. They still need midfield reinforcement, a proper striker and maybe two more centre halves, but none of this is seemingly being prioritised. Well, it certainly isn't when they're bringing in wingers and full backs in positions they're stocked in.

It reeks of them having a list of players they like, that they know are linked to other successful clubs, such as Kounde, Cucurella etc.
Ziyech is a class player, just made the wrong move from Ajax unfortunately for him.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27138 on: August 6, 2022, 12:18:44 pm »
According to a report on twitter, Newcastle's Saudi owners Public Investment Fund are a major investor in Chelsea's new majority shareholder Clearlake Capital. How can this be allowed, surely its open to abuse?  :o

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27139 on: August 6, 2022, 03:24:52 pm »
According to a report on twitter, Newcastle's Saudi owners Public Investment Fund are a major investor in Chelsea's new majority shareholder Clearlake Capital. How can this be allowed, surely its open to abuse?  :o
You mean something like Chelsea selling Pulisic to Vitesse Arnhem (one of their feeder clubs) for £100m, and then Saudi FC buying him from Vitesse a month later for £250k?

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27140 on: August 6, 2022, 03:25:40 pm »
You mean something like Chelsea selling Pulisic to Vitesse Arnhem (one of their feeder clubs) for £100m, and then Saudi FC buying him from Vitesse a month later for £250k?

Not just that either.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27141 on: August 6, 2022, 03:33:47 pm »
Robbo may well not work as well in another team/tactical setup.

Complete full back. You could drop him into any team and he would be sublime, very very few weaknesses in Robbos game. Elite going forward and defensively

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #27142 on: August 6, 2022, 03:39:51 pm »
Complete full back. You could drop him into any team and he would be sublime, very very few weaknesses in Robbos game. Elite going forward and defensively
Most definitely, and if Marc Cucurella is worth more than 60 million, Robbo must be worth 4 times that?

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27143 on: August 6, 2022, 05:21:50 pm »
I guess talk of their demise was greatly exaggerated.

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27144 on: August 6, 2022, 05:46:04 pm »
60 fuckin million.......

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #27145 on: August 6, 2022, 06:02:58 pm »
toilet club they should not exist

fake reality

I don't like these and what's weird is the head office in london well nobody there supports them (plenty Arsenal, some Spuds, even a Brentford)

void club imo yes I know this isn't news but I feel like saying it cause any day you wanna kick this club is a day I wanna have!

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27146 on: August 9, 2022, 03:45:16 pm »
I’d expected a bit more discussion on here after Saturday. Chelsea were time wasting from the 55th minute onwards. They wasted several minutes on throw-ins alone. It was like watching Atletico.
I wasn’t 100% sober but I will claim that there was about twenty minutes of actual football in the second half. They did not look threatening, as of right now.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27147 on: August 9, 2022, 05:51:43 pm »
I’d expected a bit more discussion on here after Saturday. Chelsea were time wasting from the 55th minute onwards. They wasted several minutes on throw-ins alone. It was like watching Atletico.
I wasn’t 100% sober but I will claim that there was about twenty minutes of actual football in the second half. They did not look threatening, as of right now.

They're always complete shite at Goodison. Good job for them Everton never had any forwards on the pitch.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27148 on: August 9, 2022, 05:57:00 pm »
well be fair .... the've been signing players so fast half of them don't know the names of the other half.  and yelling "hey you" when passing the ball doesn't work very well.

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27149 on: August 9, 2022, 06:43:15 pm »
Werner back to Leipzig

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #27150 on: August 10, 2022, 11:24:55 am »
Close to a deal for Frankie de Jong

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27151 on: August 10, 2022, 11:39:52 am »

Takes them over £200m spent in the window if so. 

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27152 on: August 10, 2022, 11:56:20 am »

If it means Man Utd miss out on their main target and it also gives Barca the money to spend on Bernardo Silva then it's a pretty satisfactory deal for us too.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27153 on: August 10, 2022, 12:21:25 pm »
80 mill for Fofana next. Come back Abramavich all is forgiven.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #27154 on: August 10, 2022, 12:22:53 pm »
They were always gonna spend big their first summer in charge

Let's see how long it continues
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27155 on: August 10, 2022, 12:25:09 pm »
They were always gonna spend big their first summer in charge

Let's see how long it continues

Spending big is one thing - spending more than anyone in any window in 10 years or so seems wild......

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #27156 on: August 10, 2022, 12:26:57 pm »
If it means Man Utd miss out on their main target and it also gives Barca the money to spend on Bernardo Silva then it's a pretty satisfactory deal for us too.

That was my initial thought! Win/win for us isn't it  ;D

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #27157 on: August 10, 2022, 12:35:15 pm »

Yeah FDJ was the first domino but what if it means they fall the way that sees City go for Bellingham?

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27158 on: August 10, 2022, 01:08:26 pm »
Yeah FDJ was the first domino but what if it means they fall the way that sees City go for Bellingham?
Nobody is signing Bellingham this summer.  Dortmund have seen to that by selling Haaland.

If anything it might mean Man City buy a replacement this summer - someone mentioned Verrati being linked in an earlier post - and therefore aren't in the market for a central midfielder next summer.  Similarly for Chelsea blurting all their money this summer, they won't be in a position to repeat the trick next summer.

If we go in for Bellingham I'd expect our biggest rivals to sign him will be Man U.  Just one more reason to hope they have a terrible season.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27159 on: August 10, 2022, 01:28:19 pm »
Spending big is one thing - spending more than anyone in any window in 10 years or so seems wild......

Yeah it's fishy if you ask me. Reports were he wanted to run them like FSG, he's come in and spent like Roman on steroids and cocaine. It can't be sustainable, from a wages POV alone. Something suspect about it for sure.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.