Author Topic: Fuel & energy prices  (Read 120469 times)

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Fuel & energy prices
« on: February 25, 2022, 12:40:36 am »
Petrol, Diesel and Home Heating Oil are all going through the roof.

Home heating is the one I have always watched and over the past 2 years it has been bonkers and covid played a part but it then kept rising.
Recently it has been on an upward trend which is understandable with the current crisis in Eastern Europe.

But I am shocked at how prices have gone this week.

I am in Northern Ireland (as regional prices have always differed) and decided on Mon evening I would order next day, the next morning everyones price had risen by £10 on a 900 Ltr fill, I ordered from a big supplier for delivery next week at £549 for 900L.

The price has been rising every couple of hours and because of todays tragic news is now at £630 for delivery over the next few days - thats nearly a £100 extra in two days.

Same oil bought months ago but now in view of recent events they can command a greater price !!!

I understand the free market.
Everyone wants to make a Shilling.
Supply and Demand.

That said . . . When the oil companies are currently raking it in should our government step in and cap Oil Petrol and Diesel prices for the greater good.

What I have seen with prices here is just pure business overgrab - yeah we know prices go up but £100 in two days is disgraceful when their supply's where margined months ago.

If our supposeded Govt wants to keep us on side they need to act.

A cap has to be introduced on Gas, Petrol and Oil.

Check the prices in your area and order now if you can as its likely to get worse.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 08:07:41 am by John C »

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Oil prices - Let the Price Gouging begin !
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 01:44:31 am »
I literally bought 1000L of home heating oil on Wednesday for £600, guy delivered it today and told me if I'd on Thursday morning it would have cost me £675, 15% or so since Putin invaded Ukraine.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 08:37:36 am »
That said . . . When the oil companies are currently raking it in should our government step in and cap Oil Petrol and Diesel prices for the greater good.

If you do that the oil producers will just sell it abroad for higher prices. Oil is much more transportable than gas.

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 09:34:43 am »
If you do that the oil producers will just sell it abroad for higher prices. Oil is much more transportable than gas.
I think King Kenny was referring to the on-sellers rather than the producers when he talked about capping (happy to be corrected).

In the UK it's irrelevant either way as the state has ceded all control to the private sector but France have introduced a cap on price increases.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out with EDF as the costs globally continue to rise.  I guess the percentage of energy they generate through nuclear will soften the blow to an extent.

I've not heard about France doing anything to stem the rise in petrol/diesel prices but they may do as that will just add further to inflation.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 12:45:00 pm »
I think King Kenny was referring to the on-sellers rather than the producers when he talked about capping (happy to be corrected).

In the UK it's irrelevant either way as the state has ceded all control to the private sector but France have introduced a cap on price increases.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out with EDF as the costs globally continue to rise.  I guess the percentage of energy they generate through nuclear will soften the blow to an extent.

I've not heard about France doing anything to stem the rise in petrol/diesel prices but they may do as that will just add further to inflation.

Allowing a global market total control of wholesale prices (even for domestically-produced and domestically-used oil/gas) is madness and a recipe for both price turbulence and manipulation.

Ideologically, I'd rather see oil and gas natural resources in the ownership of the state and revenues used for the common good of society, rather than feeding mega-profits and snouts-in-trough greed by directors/executives and shareholders.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 12:52:40 pm »
Saying that, I'm pleased to have struck lucky on my current energy provider.

Looked to move providers last summer and was in the process of moving to a cheaper provider but hesitated a couple of days and they rescinded that price plan; this was at the time when prices were beginning to climb. Ended up moving to E-On (badged as Sainsburys) on a two-year fixed that was more than I'd been paying with my last fixed price deal, but was the best price then available. Just got the deal tied up when the shit hit the fan and loads of smaller companies - including the one I'd intended to move to - went bust, and all deals were jibbed-off by providers.

I'm just hoping E-On keep to the fixed-rate, because they must be losing money on me by now.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2022, 12:59:41 pm »

Looked to move providers last summer and was in the process of moving to a cheaper provider but hesitated a couple of days and they rescinded that price plan; this was at the time when prices were beginning to climb. Ended up moving to E-On (badged as Sainsburys) on a two-year fixed that was more than I'd been paying with my last fixed price deal, but was the best price then available. Just got the deal tied up when the shit hit the fan and loads of smaller companies - including the one I'd intended to move to - went bust, and all deals were jibbed-off by providers.

I'm just hoping E-On keep to the fixed-rate, because they must be losing money on me by now.

Did the exact same last Autumn and despite my bills going up 50% I think I have got off lightly.

Offline shy_talk

• Main Stander
  • Shy talkin so misunderstood... really no good
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 10:00:45 pm »
I hope it has occurred to you what is coming on Friday, thats regards the energy price cap moving.

We have seen tens of companies fold as they were not insulated (I'd laugh but it's not appropriate really, and there'll be some drip cable tied to my pc next...) from the energy price increases that have graduated from minor inconvenience to fully fledged panic, through a mixture of covid, kremlin, staffing, greed and transportation mis/plannings.

Gas is circa 60% more expensive, elec some 30% more, forecourts have seen an across the board 20% increase etc in spite of Richie Rich Sunak prostrating himself for the sake of his great buddy Boris best interests with a 5p off a litre tax cut that was instantaneously absorbed by those doing the selling*

(*figures are rough and not all companies and supermarkets jumped on the 5p cut in all honesty but still)

So some energy suppliers have folded and customers absorbed elsewhere, some companies have gone to the wire and survived on borrowed monies and former profits, so...

...those left in the market will be eyeballing any possible future increases in base cost then adding their take on top so as to claw back whats been lost and or to provide some margin to rely on if things get worse.

Ukraine will still be the headline in this Fridays news but its families, its pensioners, its young kids that gets the bulk of the coverage with the 'cost of living' pandemic now sweeping the country/europe. Buckle up cos it aint going to be pretty.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 10:41:59 pm »
Tip for everyone not on pre pay meters and not on a fixed deal - do a meter reading and make sure it is submitted tomorrow, to makeu sure you r supplier isn't "estimating" your usage before and after the price rise on April 1st.

Not just me saying that, it is Martin Lewis' advice as well.

(Note: Bumping up your reading tomorrow to get more energy at the cheaper price is fraud and I couldn't possibly endorse such behaviour).

Online wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 10:45:20 pm »

Yeah, I got on a two year fixed-rate with E-On last September.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2022, 10:48:57 am »
Tip for everyone not on pre pay meters and not on a fixed deal - do a meter reading and make sure it is submitted tomorrow, to makeu sure you r supplier isn't "estimating" your usage before and after the price rise on April 1st.

Not just me saying that, it is Martin Lewis' advice as well.

(Note: Bumping up your reading tomorrow to get more energy at the cheaper price is fraud and I couldn't possibly endorse such behaviour).

Bloody smart meters  :butt

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2022, 12:22:49 pm »
Managed to get on a fixed deal for a year last month with Eon but jumping from £89 to £119 a month.  Still not sure if it was the right thing to do with summer heading our way but fortunately we can manage the increase for now.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2022, 02:46:22 pm »
Managed to get on a fixed deal for a year last month with Eon but jumping from £89 to £119 a month.  Still not sure if it was the right thing to do with summer heading our way but fortunately we can manage the increase for now.

That sounds a bloody good deal and it was the right thing to do. I can't see this shitshow abating for a long while yet (it'll take that c*nt Putin severely backing down and then ramping up supply... or a huge new gas field being discovered in the Med or southern North Sea)

We need to move away from using gas to generate electricity. Gas is needed for domestic consumption. Burn other shit at power stations whilst hugely escalating renewables (including nuclear)

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2022, 03:23:03 pm »
Had a fella from British Gas round this morning installing a smart meter and he said that they are expecting another massive price rise in November so tying yourself down for a year is a great bit of work

Feel sorry for those who are going to be fucked with this

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2022, 03:38:21 pm »
Got my smart meters installed recently - I'm one of the unlucky ones who's going to be screwed from tomorrow, unfortunately.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2022, 07:07:39 pm »
The world is held to ransom by the bastards in opec but the twat in number 10 says fuck all,was different when he commented on the ESL,then it was "Cartels are bad".

Fucking c*nt.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #16 on: April 1, 2022, 10:44:58 am »
So when do the riots start? There is no way the country is going to just accept the corporate greed that is going on for much longer, people won't be able to live

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 1, 2022, 10:48:53 am »
When does the 5p cut in the fuel duty kick in? Assume they're waiting until the recently reported wholesale price reductions to kick in.

Corrupt c*nts everywhere. Haven't seen a single petrol station near me reduce their prices. The closest one to me has been 175 for a litre of diesel for the last 2 weeks. Not a single penny up or down.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 1, 2022, 11:12:32 am »
When does the 5p cut in the fuel duty kick in? Assume they're waiting until the recently reported wholesale price reductions to kick in.

Corrupt c*nts everywhere. Haven't seen a single petrol station near me reduce their prices. The closest one to me has been 175 for a litre of diesel for the last 2 weeks. Not a single penny up or down.

Most of the ones I've seen did reduce by the 5p.

The Mozzers near us cut by 5p the day after, then knocked another 4p off a few days later (177p -> 172p -> 168p)

Oil price has fallen from its $119/barrel peak a couple of weeks ago, now sitting at $100/barrel. Biden announced a massive release of oil reserves to help reduce the market price.

Those c*nts in the ME are stubbornly refusing to increase output to replace the gap caused by the absence of Russian oil.

Offline Runehammer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #19 on: April 1, 2022, 11:13:15 am »

It was supposed to be from 6pm the same evening but an awful lot of companies just upped the price by the same amount!

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #20 on: April 1, 2022, 06:10:35 pm »
With all these companies going bust surely the time is right to nationalise energy once again
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #21 on: April 1, 2022, 06:15:38 pm »
I'm one of the unlucky ones who's going to be screwed from tomorrow, unfortunately.
same here, I've increased my monthly DD from £107 to £150, account in credit at the moment but will have to monitor to see how it goes.

Fortunately not driving as much now, still WFH  but that means we use more energy at home so it's swings and roundabouts

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 1, 2022, 06:21:26 pm »
same here, I've increased my monthly DD from £107 to £150, account in credit at the moment but will have to monitor to see how it goes.

Fortunately not driving as much now, still WFH  but that means we use more energy at home so it's swings and roundabouts
I hope you're claiming the WFH allowance from HMRC.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #23 on: April 1, 2022, 06:46:08 pm »
yes but only worth £6 per week, might look into claiming the heating and lighting too now that it's permanent but it's a bit more complicated as tried to do it before

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 1, 2022, 06:48:29 pm »
yes but only worth £6 per week, might look into claiming the heating and lighting too now that it's permanent but it's a bit more complicated as tried to do it before
It's better off in your pocket no matter how small the amount is.Definitely look into claiming for your increased costs if your WFH is permanent.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 1, 2022, 06:52:32 pm »

It's £6 tax relief per week, which works out at about £1.50 per week for basic rate tax payers.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #26 on: April 1, 2022, 07:02:02 pm »
It's £6 tax relief per week, which works out at about £1.50 per week for basic rate tax payers.
yes I know, hardly worth the effort really

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #27 on: April 1, 2022, 07:02:40 pm »
It's better off in your pocket no matter how small the amount is.Definitely look into claiming for your increased costs if your WFH is permanent.
certainly will be doing that

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 2, 2022, 07:51:04 am »
The tax relief for working from home has ended I think
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #29 on: April 3, 2022, 12:29:32 am »

That’s about 3 hours worth of heating in my house at current prices.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Online wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: April 3, 2022, 12:44:44 am »
They scrapped that didn't they?  Probably to try to force people back to the offices.  Part of me suspected that the gas and electricity rises were also a deliberate ploy to make people think they'd be better off back in the office but that kinda fell apart with petrol going up so much as well.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2022, 12:47:21 am by wampa1 »

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 6, 2022, 08:55:19 pm »
While the yanks oil companies are animals when it comes to profiteering over dead bodies and various wars i will be curious to see how their 2022 numbers fare eventually. Approx 25 companies in the US industry saw their 2020 profits of 175 billion grow to 205 billion by the end of 2021. It is also no coincidence since the first gulf war BP, Shell, Chevron n Exxon have recorded 2 trillion in profits. No price gouging to report here.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #32 on: April 6, 2022, 09:05:24 pm »
I’m with utility Warehouse.  Got my new bill today.   £0

It’s possible that something has gone wrong!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 6, 2022, 09:31:50 pm »
£22 spent just on gas in 3 days in my house, and yet Mrs WLR still puts the fucking thermostat up to 22c in evening  :butt
Thinking is overrated.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #34 on: April 6, 2022, 09:36:00 pm »
I pay the energy bills.

My wife

“we should try and save money on the gas bill”

Me “how do you intend to do that?”

“Not use it as much, like turn it off in the summer”

Me. “Thank you for that advice, however, you may have noticed that we have never had the heating on in the summer”.

My wife “oh”
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 6, 2022, 09:45:57 pm »
Women!

The worst thing is we split the bills 60:40 so it’s not like she’s not contributing. Walks around the house in a T-shirt half the time, uses the dryer when there’s hardly anything in it, she just doesn’t seem to understand how much we’re spunking unnecessarily despite me telling her and the smart meter being impossible to miss!

Thinking is overrated.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 7, 2022, 09:14:04 am »
Women!

The worst thing is we split the bills 60:40 so it’s not like she’s not contributing. Walks around the house in a T-shirt half the time, uses the dryer when there’s hardly anything in it, she just doesn’t seem to understand how much we’re spunking unnecessarily despite me telling her and the smart meter being impossible to miss!

You need to keep on at her. 

It's criminal the amount of resources people waste.  Absolutely no need to have the temperature so high - mine is at 18 C.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 7, 2022, 04:43:09 pm »
You need to keep on at her. 

It's criminal the amount of resources people waste.  Absolutely no need to have the temperature so high - mine is at 18 C.

I don’t think I could do 18c, 20c is where I am at but even that’s been an adjustment for me. But every home is different too, we live in quite a big house as my parents live with us so there’s 6 of us and it’s detached so it’s a bitch to keep warm, and I’m sure things like laminate flooring and bifolding doors have their advantages but they don’t help keep a house particularly warm either.
Thinking is overrated.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 7, 2022, 07:05:41 pm »
I don’t think I could do 18c, 20c is where I am at but even that’s been an adjustment for me. But every home is different too, we live in quite a big house as my parents live with us so there’s 6 of us and it’s detached so it’s a bitch to keep warm, and I’m sure things like laminate flooring and bifolding doors have their advantages but they don’t help keep a house particularly warm either.

Is it insulated at all?

I live in a detached house, and cavity and loft insulation has made a huge difference!  Doesn't feel anywhere near as cold as it did previously.  I also have laminate, but with nice thick underlay underneath.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: April 7, 2022, 08:25:04 pm »
Is it insulated at all?

I live in a detached house, and cavity and loft insulation has made a huge difference!  Doesn't feel anywhere near as cold as it did previously.  I also have laminate, but with nice thick underlay underneath.

It’s a mixed bag to be honest but I’m no expert. The roof has loads of the woolly stuff in the roof, but we also have a sky light in one room that’s is only a single pane of glass (this is from before we bought the house), but the rest of the windows are all new with all of the windows at the front of the house triple glazed (we live on a busy road so it helps with the noise) and the rest double. With the walls I have no idea as the house was extensively extended by the previous owners from the original house and then we extended a bit again. One positive with all of this is that it’s kiboshed my dads ideas around further (and completely unnecessary) extensions or building projects as I’m not paying to heat any more house!
Thinking is overrated.