Author Topic: 4th place is lava, who'll get it?  (Read 25829 times)

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 4th place is lava, who'll get it?
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2022, 02:47:35 pm »
Arsenal look heavy favourites, potentially five points clear of United if they win their games in hand (if, if, if - and in fairness one of the games they'll have in hand is against us). Pretty much going to be a two-horse race unless Spurs can arrest their slide - maybe if they could play City more?

538 has Arsenal at 61% for fourth, United at 24% and Spurs at 12%. FWIW, they also think Arsenal have a 13% chance of overtaking Chelsea and finishing third.

As someone else mentioned, Arsenal only having the league to focus on should help, although I think it's likely that United only have one more CL game to contend with anyway and they're already out of the FA Cup.

they would only be 9 points behind us too!! :D

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2022, 08:37:43 pm »
they would only be 9 points behind us too!! :D
Amazing if you think about it- IF they win their games in hand- except the one against us. ;)
They aren't having such a disaster of a season as has been made out. Granted- there is the small matter of them being out of all the cups, but in terms of league performance, they've done well. Building valuable league experience into the young lads and the squad, which they can build on.
They've certainly been better than United- and they actually play football.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 08:42:36 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2022, 02:18:38 am »
It's funny but quite possible too Arsenal getting 3rd and Chelsea getting 4th.
I could be wrong, but I’m not kidding. I think that Chelsea would lose it at some point while Arsenal are on the up.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2022, 09:02:48 am »
It’s amazing that we are even in the conversation for 4th never mind 3rd. It’s a good thing we never sacked Arteta, when pretty much every pundit and self proclaimed expert and statistician were scratching their heads at the aberration that his management is. It’s all coming together now in terms of culture, discipline and application. Just need some star quality in a couple of positions in the summer, and to beef up the squad we are so short on numbers and will have a lot more games to play next season.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2022, 09:05:32 am »
 ;D This boasting is mad, how low the standards have fallen there nowadays. The discipline does look incredible though, 2 games without a red card is impressive!

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2022, 09:06:45 am »
I still think Utd will get top 4. Arsenal will bottle it, in my opinion. Although, I prefer they didn't.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2022, 09:56:00 am »
Amazing if you think about it- IF they win their games in hand- except the one against us. ;)
They aren't having such a disaster of a season as has been made out. Granted- there is the small matter of them being out of all the cups, but in terms of league performance, they've done well. Building valuable league experience into the young lads and the squad, which they can build on.
They've certainly been better than United- and they actually play football.

For the wage bill they have and the money Arteta has spent, if you have a season out of Europe and are out of all the cups by January then a push for top 4 is the absolute minimum that can be accepted.

The fact Leicester have collapsed (from last 2 seasons standards) and Spurs and United have been terrible enough to sack their managers - while their replacements have not been convincing - has also given them an open goal to get 4th.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2022, 03:00:28 pm »
Completely. Games in hand are overrated when all of those fighting for 4th spot have been so inconsistent, and the way things are going with Arsenal I’d be as impressed if they managed to finish both games with 11 players on the pitch as I would be if they won them both.

While they are somewhat overrated, that's when they are being equated to an extra 3 points on a team's total, but united are currently only a point ahead of arsenal having played two games more, so it isn't really the same situation.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 03:02:53 pm by Skeeve »

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2022, 04:52:46 pm »
I still think Utd will get top 4. Arsenal will bottle it, in my opinion. Although, I prefer they didn't.

Same, Its between United and Spurs

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2022, 05:02:16 pm »
Arsenal's to lose now.
If they don't get at least 4th, then they should have a good look at themselves.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: February 26, 2022, 05:06:43 pm »
no way Utd is getting 4th, watch them getting 6th behind Tottenham.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2022, 05:08:57 pm »
It’s amazing that we are even in the conversation for 4th never mind 3rd. It’s a good thing we never sacked Arteta, when pretty much every pundit and self proclaimed expert and statistician were scratching their heads at the aberration that his management is. It’s all coming together now in terms of culture, discipline and application. Just need some star quality in a couple of positions in the summer, and to beef up the squad we are so short on numbers and will have a lot more games to play next season.

You’ll finish fifth, you really do get giddy when you support a club that are known for shitting the bed.  Culture ? You have none. Discipline ? You have none.  Carry on though I guess.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2022, 05:15:09 pm »
You’ll finish fifth, you really do get giddy when you support a club that are known for shitting the bed.  Culture ? You have none. Discipline ? You have none.  Carry on though I guess.

Thats very harsh, 5th is still progress, I predicted 6th. You probably predicted a relegation battle. We were both wrong, but im nowhere near as upset as you.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2022, 05:26:19 pm »
Thats very harsh, 5th is still progress, I predicted 6th. You probably predicted a relegation battle. We were both wrong, but im nowhere near as upset as you.

I thought you’d finish top eight but make no real progress, you’ve been better than I thought but you have no culture and definitely no discipline, absurd to think you do.

I don’t mind Arsenal, rather them top four than United or Spurs, but we’ve been here before.  You’ll fuck up at the end and demand Arteta gets backing because he’s a genius or some such nonsense.  You’d actually be better off if Wenger was still in charge, but you all chased him out..

If you get fourth it says a lot about the league.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: February 26, 2022, 05:30:08 pm »
I thought you’d finish top eight but make no real progress, you’ve been better than I thought but you have no culture and definitely no discipline, absurd to think you do.

I don’t mind Arsenal, rather them top four than United or Spurs, but we’ve been here before.  You’ll fuck up at the end and demand Arteta gets backing because he’s a genius or some such nonsense.  You’d actually be better off if Wenger was still in charge, but you all chased him out..

If you get fourth it says a lot about the league.

When I say this is the weakest premier league ever I get slaughtered.

Who do you think will get 4th, do you agree its between Man utd and Spurs?

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: February 26, 2022, 05:41:48 pm »
When I say this is the weakest premier league ever I get slaughtered.

Who do you think will get 4th, do you agree its between Man utd and Spurs?

I think United will get it, just because they normally find a way and I think they’re mentally stronger than Arsenal.  Hope they don’t, but think you’ll implode and they’ll do enough.

The league is poor, but the top two are the two strongest clubs in Europe.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: February 26, 2022, 05:55:23 pm »
I think United will get it, just because they normally find a way and I think they’re mentally stronger than Arsenal.  Hope they don’t, but think you’ll implode and they’ll do enough.

I make you right .

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2022, 06:35:35 pm »
So, Utd end their 'easier' fixture run from December to February just a point clear of us having played 3 games more. Dropping points to Southampton, Burnley, Watford, Newcastle, Wolves & Villa.

They now have to play City, Spurs & Liverpool in their next 3. I'm hoping to be a handful of points ahead of them by that stage still with a couple of games in hand.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 06:37:18 pm by ScottishGoon »

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: February 26, 2022, 06:40:33 pm »
So, Utd end their 'easier' fixture run from December to February just a point clear of us having played 3 games more. Dropping points to Southampton, Burnley, Watford, Newcastle, Wolves & Villa.

They now have to play City, Spurs & Liverpool in their next 3. I'm hoping to be a handful of points ahead of them by that stage still with a couple of games in hand.

United are no longer  our main challengers , I want them to beat Spurs in a couple of weeks

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #139 on: February 26, 2022, 06:40:35 pm »
As long as Arsenal don't Spurs it, they should get fourth place.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #140 on: February 26, 2022, 06:41:31 pm »

Same here. Mentality-wise, if there’s one team I wouldn’t back in terms of making use of the games in hand, it’s Arsenal. Hoping they prove me wrong though. Don’t want United qualifying again simply because the rest gift it to them.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2022, 06:47:44 pm »
Yeah, it still looks like Arsenal's to lose.
I don't think anyone can out-Spurs, Sir Percy's boys, BUT it's between L'Arse and Spurs.

Their discipline and self-control is their main weakness though.
For United.. it's not that they don't want 4th- I just think they cannot do it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 06:50:56 pm by the_red_pill »
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2022, 06:47:57 pm »
Same here. Mentality-wise, if there’s one team I wouldn’t back in terms of making use of the games in hand, it’s Arsenal. Hoping they prove me wrong though. Don’t want United qualifying again simply because the rest gift it to them.
Ignore the games in hand for a moment and assume that they've played the same number of games. Who do you think will get more points in the run-in based on their performances so far?

For me, Arsenal.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2022, 06:49:00 pm »

As per my previous post, considering they've dropped points vs Watford, Southampton, Wolves, Newcastle, Burnley etc recently, they will need a big upturn in form to get full points from games coming up vs City, Spurs, Liverpool, Leicester, Everton & Arsenal.

My ever growing belief isn't just that we are managing to beat the teams outside the top 6 in general, it's that I just can't see Utd suddenly snapping into any sort of consistent form now.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2022, 06:52:04 pm »
Ignore the games in hand for a moment and assume that they've played the same number of games. Who do you think will get more points in the run-in based on their performances so far?

For me, Arsenal.
Yep. Like I said- United just isn't a 4th-placed team- they haven't performed like one- even through their most favorable run of fixtures- and they've got one hellish fixture list to look forward to. I just can't see any way back for them- even with the refs' help, whereas Chelsea and Arsenal look the part.
I just can't see them making up those lost points in their upcoming fixture list.
If they couldn't do it then, how will they do it in this upcoming run?

I mean they can't even score... at home... against Watford!?

JUST DON'T DROP MAGUIRE!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 07:03:20 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #145 on: February 26, 2022, 07:01:12 pm »
As per my previous post, considering they've dropped points vs Watford, Southampton, Wolves, Newcastle, Burnley etc recently, they will need a big upturn in form to get full points from games coming up vs City, Spurs, Liverpool, Leicester, Everton & Arsenal.

My ever growing belief isn't just that we are managing to beat the teams outside the top 6 in general, it's that I just can't see Utd suddenly snapping into any sort of consistent form now.
At least 3 pts from that run for them.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: March 4, 2022, 01:16:16 am »
Interesting that all of the clubs competing for 4th are out of the FA Cup - Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham and Wolves. Only the Mancs and Hammers are still in Europe, so they've all had a pretty good go at clearing their schedules for the 4th place race!

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: March 6, 2022, 03:59:47 pm »
Between Spurs and Man utd this . We just haven’t got the character , mentality or discipline for it. Nor the quality or manager to be fair.
I know we got games in hand, but give me points on the board at this stage.

Bite hand off for 6th.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: March 6, 2022, 04:08:58 pm »
Between Spurs and Man utd this . We just haven’t got the character , mentality or discipline for it. Nor the quality or manager to be fair.
I know we got games in hand, but give me points on the board at this stage.

Bite hand off for 6th.

Even though it would be criminal not to get 4th, I still don't have faith in your lot to do the job.

Hope I'm wrong. I'd rather see Arsenal finish 4th than any of the realistic alternatives.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: March 6, 2022, 04:18:04 pm »
Even though it would be criminal not to get 4th, I still don't have faith in your lot to do the job.

Hope I'm wrong. I'd rather see Arsenal finish 4th than any of the realistic alternatives.

Im with you, United or Spurs sadly.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: March 6, 2022, 04:54:25 pm »
Im with you, United or Spurs sadly.
Reverse mockers... ;)

I want you to pile points until we meet so you'd have more than enough to clinch 4th after we whoop you. :) But you are still to play United, aren't you? Do you have a game with Spurs too?

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: March 6, 2022, 05:15:15 pm »
Reverse mockers... ;)

I want you to pile points until we meet so you'd have more than enough to clinch 4th after we whoop you. :) But you are still to play United, aren't you? Do you have a game with Spurs too?

We do , The Godfather and the winner. We play both after we play you. Not looking good .

Offline Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: March 6, 2022, 06:29:55 pm »
Would be a massive failure for Arsenal if they don't get it now. Arsenal literally just need to keep up their form against weaker sides in the league and they are home and dry. 
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #153 on: March 6, 2022, 06:37:59 pm »
Monumental bottle job from here if Arsenal don’t finish at least 4th
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: March 6, 2022, 06:39:40 pm »
Would be a massive failure for Arsenal if they don't get it now. Arsenal literally just need to keep up their form against weaker sides in the league and they are home and dry.

I wouldnt go that far, I mean it looks like we have a chance, but no one wants 4th this season. Weve only won 8 of our last 10 league games, a better record than Liverpool and City.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: March 6, 2022, 06:47:05 pm »
I wouldnt go that far, I mean it looks like we have a chance, but no one wants 4th this season. Weve only won 8 of our last 10 league games, a better record than Liverpool and City.

City also won 8 of last 10 and got 25 points from last 10. I hope you keep winning and kick Utd out of Top 4.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: March 6, 2022, 06:53:52 pm »
United :D

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: March 6, 2022, 06:57:23 pm »
City also won 8 of last 10 and got 25 points from last 10. I hope you keep winning and kick Utd out of Top 4.
Arsenal are a point ahead with three games in hand. They just have to avoid a collapse.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: March 6, 2022, 06:59:30 pm »

Better record on goal difference... I think only spurs can stop us now but they go to United next Saturday, if they lose that it’s nearly done.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #159 on: March 6, 2022, 07:16:13 pm »
Told yas these will not get 4th. They are abysmal.
4th is still still Arsenal's. They're nailed on.

United's nightmare will just get worse from here on-out. They're crying for this season to be over, but it's long overdue- the wailing, weeping and gnashing of teeth! ;D

I didn't even bother to watch or follow that derby today, cause I knew they'd get smashed to bits..
Unlike Everton, who will do us by not trying hard enough, these are just incapable of a result against half the league.

Just came back at home and saw the score. It proves this- They're just as bad as they were in November!

No amount of referee interference or flukes are gonna save them from 7th or 8th this season.
« Last Edit: March 6, 2022, 07:19:42 pm by the_red_pill »