Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD  (Read 3113202 times)

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD
« Reply #43120 on: October 3, 2022, 12:25:41 am »
I can see us signing three midfielders before the end of next summer, with one of them a Bosman.

The contract expirations will thin the herd. But there are further question marks beyond that, and the reset for our midfield might go deeper.

It’s a solid point that we are better than what we’ve shown so far this season though. Mind you, more of a top four challenging team than a title challenging one, this season, is my expectation, before a midfield overhaul and getting the balance right up front sees us pushing higher again next time.

No need to turn on each other. It looks like a bit of a transitional season, but there’s plenty to play for.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43121 on: October 3, 2022, 06:46:16 am »
Some Samie tier links to Musiala.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43122 on: October 3, 2022, 07:29:05 am »

Is there a Google translate for this post?
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #43123 on: October 3, 2022, 08:33:19 am »
Is there a Google translate for this post?

Made perfect sense to me but if we think we're
signing Jamal Musiala from Bayern Munich, I'd put
the chances close to 0%.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #43124 on: October 3, 2022, 08:51:12 am »
We need 2 minimum quality athletic young robust midfielders about to enter their prime- looking at Bellingham, Caicedo, Kone, Barella and would love us to go for Guimaraes

You can have one! ................maybe, on loan, last day

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43125 on: October 3, 2022, 09:51:10 am »
Made perfect sense to me but if we think we're
signing Jamal Musiala from Bayern Munich, I'd put
the chances close to 0%.

Close to 0% but not actually 0? So maybe 0.5%? Meaning there's a chance?

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43126 on: October 3, 2022, 11:06:48 am »
Close to 0% but not actually 0? So maybe 0.5%? Meaning there's a chance?

If he gets food poisoning at his favorite Munich restaurant and falls in love with a beautiful Scouse girl, then (YES!) I'd say there is a chance!

Is the boy 18 or 19? He's cutting it up for Bayern, in a key attacking role and they love him. I'm sure they'd happily pop a £175 million tag on him, as is the way in 2022 and anyone aside from the mad Chelsea owner will jog onwards.

***Update, sorry he is 17 and has not signed a new contract. Putting the figure up to 1-2%***
« Last Edit: October 3, 2022, 11:12:07 am by lionel_messias »

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43127 on: October 3, 2022, 11:14:35 am »

No chance although..

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43128 on: October 3, 2022, 01:05:14 pm »
If he gets food poisoning at his favorite Munich restaurant and falls in love with a beautiful Scouse girl, then (YES!) I'd say there is a chance!

Is the boy 18 or 19? He's cutting it up for Bayern, in a key attacking role and they love him. I'm sure they'd happily pop a £175 million tag on him, as is the way in 2022 and anyone aside from the mad Chelsea owner will jog onwards.

***Update, sorry he is 17 and has not signed a new contract. Putting the figure up to 1-2%***

I remember seeing him was it at Euros last summer for the first time and it was obvious what a talent he was. Haven't seen Bayern at all this season bar the odd goal highlights, but I can not imagine them ever being so stupid to selling him.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #43129 on: October 3, 2022, 01:18:42 pm »

Musiala? He’s 19. He is on a long term deal at Bayern, contract till 2026 I think.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43130 on: October 3, 2022, 02:49:07 pm »
Colombian journo who was one of the very early ones to break the Luis Diaz news says we've sending scouts to see another 18 year old.

https://twitter.com/PSierraR/status/1576911803304419329

The same #Liverpool scout who followed Luis Díaz has gone to see Jhon Jáder Durán (18).  ‘The Reds’ already know the conditions and that for €10M #ChicagoFire would let the Colombian go.

Told me that #Lille, #EintrachtFrankfurt and #PSV want the striker.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43131 on: October 3, 2022, 02:51:57 pm »
Colombian journo who was one of the very early ones to break the Luis Diaz news says we've sending scouts to see another 18 year old.

We go there with a View to a Kill...

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43132 on: October 3, 2022, 03:02:37 pm »

Don't we send scouts to see a lot of players? It seems pretty common for us to track targets for multiple years before making any sort of move.

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #43133 on: October 3, 2022, 03:10:31 pm »
We go there with a View to a Kill...
And he's not based in Rio

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #43134 on: October 3, 2022, 03:22:11 pm »
Strong, quick and left-footed.  I'm in.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43135 on: October 3, 2022, 03:50:40 pm »
Don't we send scouts to see a lot of players? It seems pretty common for us to track targets for multiple years before making any sort of move.

It's practically done mate. Shaqiri plays for them too and he plays with the Luis Diaz in the national team.  ;D

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43136 on: October 3, 2022, 04:02:51 pm »
It's practically done mate. Shaqiri plays for them too and he plays with the Luis Diaz in the national team.  ;D

Didn't realise Shaq was there, I'll delete my post.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43137 on: October 3, 2022, 06:45:13 pm »
Not sure how good the lad might be, but I do like the idea of an understudy for Mo.

I'm not sure if Kaide Gordon will fill that role, in time?

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43138 on: October 3, 2022, 07:50:57 pm »
I’m guessing the problem is that there’s been a muddying of the lines of showing loyalty, and taking it too far.

A look back over threads would suggest many here where happy with contract extensions to players like Ox, Hendo, Milner. In fact, there where shouts of the club ‘doing right’ by Ox during a terrible injury for instance.

So for me the issue this summer was dictated by squad numbers. Hence no real right and wrong. Because it was logical to point out that there where enough midfielders here, as it was to say there was a need to get new midfielders. Both statements can be correct. Problem was - adding to a bloated squad. So the issue was more WHY they got themselves into that situation.   

We all got very attached to this squad for good reason - they won us the league, the CL, got us to many European finals, won us the domestic cups. But it’s almost like there needs to be more of an unemotional eye on things within the confines of Kirkby, to not allow the loyalty angle to get the squad balance in trouble.

Hindisght is great - and with it I guess we can say Milner should have been allowed to leave with his head held up high as a legend of this club, with no offer of a new deal. They shouldn’t have given into Henderson’s demands, and offered a season by season deal or something instead and put the ball in his court regards ’take it or leave it’.  Ox should never have been given a contract extension at that time. 

So here we are, with a shit ton of midfielders, far too many of them injured at the same time, and others running on empty.
Spot on. I hope going forward we are more ruthless. We should learn from the Gini/Mane situations and realise that we don’t need to flog the same players and we can cope with them leaving earlier than we want. We didn’t miss Gini the player last year (although it would have been wise to replace him, and seemed like a natural time to make an addition in midfield), and Mane has continued to show signs of regression at Bayern and although he’s still a very good player, Diaz has made an instant impact and came at just the right time.

The signings of Jota, Konate and Tsimikas were similar actually. Jota’s arrival allowed us to cut Bobby’s minutes and Konate will eventually replace Matip. All players who are perfect for the way we play too. We just didn’t do anything similar in midfield. Oxlade-Chamberlain should have been sold years ago, Milner should have left on a free last summer. Henderson I’d have kept given his influence, but replacing the others would have allowed us to reduce his minutes.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #43139 on: October 3, 2022, 10:07:04 pm »
Moises Caicedo only cost Brighton £3.6million! How has our scouting department not picked him up? Surely even at that price he would of been worth getting to give our midfield some rotation

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43140 on: October 3, 2022, 10:16:45 pm »
Moises Caicedo only cost Brighton £3.6million! How has our scouting department not picked him up? Surely even at that price he would of been worth getting to give our midfield some rotation

is this a serious post?

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43141 on: October 3, 2022, 10:22:06 pm »

General view on this (from what i've seen at least) tends to be that these kinds of players aren't bought at that stage by us as we prefer to mitigate risk and see whether they can cut it at the top level before buying them, offsetting the risk in exchange for having to pay a higher fee. It's not a case of our scouting department not picking up on it, in fact i'd bet good money he was being tracked/looked at, it's the weighing up of whether to move or buy said player.

I asked about this kind of thing previously regarding us signing players a stage earlier and that seemed to be the general concensus on not moving for talents with high potential sooner.

There's a huge pool of young talents you can see the potential of but whether they're ready or good enough seems to be something we feel is better to wait to see at another club before moving for them. To be honest it's worked extremely well for us so far and there will always be 'ones that got away' for pretty much every club as you cant hoover up all the best talent no matter how rich or appealing your club is. Add to this the fact there's an argument to be made that these younger players need more minutes to fulfil their potential and the expectation of hitting the ground running with us enough to be afforded a huge amount of minutes is huge, obviously some players will pull that off (Elliott for example) but sometimes players going to a smaller side getting regular gametime and ultimately costing more helps us get it right more often.

With all that being said there's still a bit of me that would love to see us get a few more of the talents it's glaringly obvious are going to be great, I still remember the first time I saw Camavinga play, outrageous and there's very few players i've seen once at such a young age that it's been so clear are going places. He was sublime in the CL games he got for Madrid last season

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43142 on: October 3, 2022, 10:26:25 pm »

I think some complications around 3rd party ownership or agents, so we never got involved. It was clearly resolvable as is the case with Brighton. Unless having a big club interested might have become more complicated? That's the story anyway, not sure if it's spin or truth

Offline lollysportswasher

• Wants us to accept the reality that Liverpool will never sign another player.
  • Kopite
« Reply #43143 on: October 3, 2022, 10:54:18 pm »
We should be all over Maddison, English homegrown with an amazing free kicks and can score goals.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43144 on: October 3, 2022, 11:49:46 pm »

Exactly the sort of deal we should be pursuing. Worst case scenario - you flog them for a small profit
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43145 on: October 3, 2022, 11:55:16 pm »
Exactly the sort of deal we should be pursuing. Worst case scenario - you flog them for a small profit

What about the bit where we deplete already tight funds on players who will find it difficult?

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43146 on: October 3, 2022, 11:58:51 pm »

Interesting prospect, for 10m I would say this is not a bad deal, but then again it is FSG and that might count against our budget to spend on revamping the midfield.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43147 on: October 4, 2022, 12:00:25 am »
What about the bit where we deplete already tight funds on players who will find it difficult?

You repurpose the funds tied up on ancient players like Milner and permacrocks like AOC and Keita. We already do these types of deals for the likes of Tsimikas, Carvalho, Minamino and Origi. There is often more value in South American markets than in European ones. I’d sooner see us spend 10m on a kid like this than fuck all on nobody. Or do you genuinely believe there is no middle ground between spending nothing and spending 100m+ on Bellingham which we are never, ever going to do anyway?
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43148 on: October 4, 2022, 12:05:31 am »
I see more links with Brozovic. Can't see us signing him. Almost 30

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #43149 on: October 4, 2022, 12:36:54 am »

Should send all those youth players back then that we've spent millions on. We're too poor to do anything.....

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43150 on: October 4, 2022, 12:56:06 am »
Should send all those youth players back then that we've spent millions on. We're too poor to do anything.....

How much is this guy going to cost? £10m? £15m? Id much rather keep doing what we have been doing in terms of the transfers we have been proven to be good at.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #43151 on: October 4, 2022, 01:46:36 am »
How much is this guy going to cost? £10m? £15m? Id much rather keep doing what we have been doing in terms of the transfers we have been proven to be good at.

What transfers are we not good at? Far as I can tell the only thing at the moment really questionable is whether Nunez is worth what we paid and I don't think 170 league minutes is the barometer.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43152 on: October 4, 2022, 06:09:01 am »
What transfers are we not good at? Far as I can tell the only thing at the moment really questionable is whether Nunez is worth what we paid and I don't think 170 league minutes is the barometer.

There are certain transfers though that have contributed to the success of this side. Nunez comes in that group as well, players of an age where they have some experience behind them and proven their ability, albeit with some space to grow. The likes of Mane, Jota for example. We have also been good at buying players already playing at close to a top level like Van Dijk, Salah etc.

What I havent seen is us sign 18 year olds for decent money and them turn out to be really top players. We tended to be picky for a reason so we reduce the risk.

I dont mind us signing them, but only if it doesnt impact our ability to bring in several first team ready players, which is quite clear that we need.

Offline Furmeeno

• Main Stander
« Reply #43153 on: October 4, 2022, 08:12:52 am »
There are certain transfers though that have contributed to the success of this side. Nunez comes in that group as well, players of an age where they have some experience behind them and proven their ability, albeit with some space to grow. The likes of Mane, Jota for example. We have also been good at buying players already playing at close to a top level like Van Dijk, Salah etc.

What I havent seen is us sign 18 year olds for decent money and them turn out to be really top players. We tended to be picky for a reason so we reduce the risk.

I dont mind us signing them, but only if it doesnt impact our ability to bring in several first team ready players, which is quite clear that we need.

This is mostly a matter of probability rather than transfer policy or scouting I think. Who else has done this with any kind of consistency?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43154 on: October 4, 2022, 08:27:38 am »
This is mostly a matter of probability rather than transfer policy or scouting I think. Who else has done this with any kind of consistency?

Indeed. Its very difficult for clubs like us because we are not a finishing school, we want to win. Again I dont mind us signing these players but I dont understand why some fans think signing lots of promising youngsters for relatively high fees for their age is a good tactic.

We have a tactic that works so just keep doing that.

To be fair I do understand what they are getting at. They look at the cost of Bellingham and Haaland and think they are out of our price range once they prove their ability, so get them early. But the fact is that Haaland and Bellingham are outliers. Lots of really good younger players who prove themselves dont go on to cost £100m. There are still loads in that 30-60m category.

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43155 on: October 4, 2022, 09:03:36 am »
We should be all over Maddison, English homegrown with an amazing free kicks and can score goals.

Good one.
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #43156 on: October 4, 2022, 09:48:45 am »

Well no, not quite. Worst case scenario is that he's a complete flop, we end up loaning him out until the end of his contract because no-one wants to take another punt on him, and in the meantime other promising youngsters look at us and go 'Well it didn't go great for him! I might go the tried and tested Dortmund/Red Bull route'

I agree it'd be nice to sign a few Caicedo/Bellinghams and see them develop here instead of somewhere else, but it really isn't this guaranteed home run that people seem to think it is. The reason most of our major successes are players of a certain age is because we sign them when there's plenty of data. Thats why we're so good at it, its not that we have a load of psychic scouts who just happen to spot the next Messi at 14 but we have a very, very good system data-wise. You sign 18 year olds the amount of data there is obviously drastically decreases, so the risk is a lot higher.

I'm sure this is something you can relate to, but I'll guarantee if we started dropping fairly big money on unproved 18/19 year olds and a couple of them flopped there'd be knives out saying we should have stuck with what worked for us and FSG are scraping the barrel relying on Klopp turning kids into megastars.

Hopefully FSG looking at buying other clubs and having our own 'network' isn't just media talk, because that really would help with the transition if we could get a couple of decent European sides who we could 'try them out' at first (particularly with the new rules after Brexit not allowing us to sign U18s from abroad). As much as its frowned upon and its not great morally.....if our rivals are doing it we're probably missing out by not doing the same.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43157 on: October 4, 2022, 10:34:43 am »
It's far too easy to look at signings like Caicedo and think we should be signing them before their price tag explodes, but for every Caicedo there are a ton of other players with potential who don't make the grade regardless of the club they go to or the games they get. There's little point switching to a focus on sifting through lots of emerging talent when our transfer strategy has been one of the best in the world in recent years (lack of spending aside).

The odd teenager as a backup option like Ramsey or Elliot makes sense, but I'd say we already have plenty of those at the club and our focus right now needs to be players in that 23-25 age range who can immediately come in and contribute to the midfield.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #43158 on: October 4, 2022, 11:25:11 am »
Indeed. Its very difficult for clubs like us because we are not a finishing school, we want to win. Again I dont mind us signing these players but I dont understand why some fans think signing lots of promising youngsters for relatively high fees for their age is a good tactic.

We have a tactic that works so just keep doing that.

To be fair I do understand what they are getting at. They look at the cost of Bellingham and Haaland and think they are out of our price range once they prove their ability, so get them early. But the fact is that Haaland and Bellingham are outliers. Lots of really good younger players who prove themselves dont go on to cost £100m. There are still loads in that 30-60m category.

That's the rub.

Clubs like Brighton (and Dortmund) can give promising young players the kind of extensive game time they need to develop. Clubs like ours, challenging for the top honours, simply can't. We have done some pieces of great player development, but in most cases it will be a case of slowly introducing them to the first team but playing mostly reserve/u-21 football.

Would players like Bellingham now be the players they have become, without that constant involvement in the first team that he wouldn't get at Abu Dhabi (or any of the top clubs)?
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43159 on: October 4, 2022, 11:34:02 am »
Hopefully FSG looking at buying other clubs and having our own 'network' isn't just media talk, because that really would help with the transition if we could get a couple of decent European sides who we could 'try them out' at first (particularly with the new rules after Brexit not allowing us to sign U18s from abroad). As much as its frowned upon and its not great morally.....if our rivals are doing it we're probably missing out by not doing the same.

There may be a thread for this already and genuine question, but what's wrong with it? There's probably stuff I've not thought of but instinctively I don't have a problem with it. I wouldn't want to go down the, 'if our rivals are going it' line because our rivals are happy selling their soul to sportwashers who then dodge financial rules and ruin competitive integrity and I'd be quite keen to avoid that even if we do miss out!