Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD  (Read 3110816 times)

Offline lfcred1976

• Anny Roader
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD
« Reply #42880 on: September 26, 2022, 10:40:33 pm »
:D

Deadly serious. No way these owners put up £100m+ without assistance.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42881 on: September 26, 2022, 10:51:26 pm »
Deadly serious. No way these owners put up £100m+ without assistance.
I know. We aren't in the position to spend £100m on a player that's not yet world class.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #42882 on: September 26, 2022, 10:52:57 pm »
Anyone know what Mon's opinion on Bellingham is yet? Not sure if I've seen him mention it.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42883 on: September 26, 2022, 10:58:33 pm »
Anyone know what Mon's opinion on Bellingham is yet? Not sure if I've seen him mention it.
What's yours? Is he worth 100m?

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42884 on: September 26, 2022, 11:07:45 pm »
Thanks for the patronising response.

I thought I returned in kind. If I misread your post as patronizing, apologies.

The point I was making about buying the Brazilian team is that hopefully it gives us an edge in procuring South American talent, before they make their first move to Europe, when the price blows up beyond all proportion.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42885 on: September 26, 2022, 11:13:47 pm »
My tuppence worth on football finances is that the usual notions of what a signing might be worth went out of the window some years ago. If our money men can make the deal work, and he wants to play for us, then we should do it.

Bellingham is an excellent player, who is only going to go from strength to strength. As a teenager he is already comfortable in the CL and in international football against top teams like Germany.

He could easily be a key fixture in the midfield for a decade, and if he does fancy another move after us, say to a Real Madrid, we could have some excellent years out of him and still get a hefty fee.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #42886 on: September 26, 2022, 11:16:23 pm »
What's yours? Is he worth 100m?

Genuinely not too fussed what the cost is. If the manager wants him and the club decided he's doable within budget then I'll be happy.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42887 on: September 26, 2022, 11:25:16 pm »
Genuinely not too fussed what the cost is. If the manager wants him and the club decided he's doable within budget then I'll be happy.
Fair enough.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #42888 on: September 26, 2022, 11:42:19 pm »
I'm probably just wasting my time going through this but after watching no Football for over a week now I'm feeling a bit frisky and thought I'd revisit this pet peeve of mine. We currently count 8 players as first team midfielders with Arthur Melo being the 9th. Is there any other similar level team where going 8 or 9 deep in midfield is even a part of the conversation?

ManC? No, they have 5 midfielders that play all their minutes
Chelsea? No, they have 4 midfielders that play all ther minutes
Spurs? No, they have 3 midfielders that play all their minutes
Real Madrid? No, they have 5 midfielders that play all their minutes
Barcelona? No, they have 5 midfielders that play all their minutes
Bayern? No, they have 4 midfielders that play all their minutes
Inter? No, they have 4 midfielders that play all their minutes

I can keep going but suffice to say there is no CL level team that is going 8-9 deep on midfielders. And you know what? Given a choice Klopp won't either. The whole run-in last year was basically Fabinho-Thiago-Hendo every game with a bit of Keita sprinkled in. 18/19 was Fabino, Gini, Hendo every game.

So then we have a couple of explanations here. Either we truly don't have 8-9 midfielders, we are the only club in the world that needs 8-9 midfielders or some bad choices have been made that have compounded on each other to create this situation. In none of these is the answer then that Klopp hasn't been supported and was left high and dry to operate on a shoe string. Same as it was with the CB's and forwards, choices were made and resources allocated. What you can truly then say is the resources we've allocated to midfield have been misused, not that there were no resources spent. You can't on the one hand claim we can realistically go 8-9 players deep, more than any other team in the world, and then on the other say it's a travesty how underfunded the squad is. One doesn't equal the other.

For me, LFC as a club have just not made great choices, relatively speaking, at this position and now we're paying the piper for those choices. If you replace Gini with a younger and healthier player than Thiago, or if you decide by signing Thiago you don't need Hendo, or if you move on from Ox or Keita quicker, if you don't re-sign Milner, if you decide Jones won't be good enough, etc etc. There's a ton of choices here that were made that would completely alter the dynamic of the conversation about why this position group now is an issue. All in isolation make sense but only viewed as a whole can you start to see that we just haven't made ideal choices. Even if you want to accept the premise that FSG have short changed the club, between all these players listed you figure there has to be about £1m per week in wages going to it. How is that not enough in resources to not have a better option to play in meaningful games than Milner and Elliott or Elliott and Fabio? It's kind of insane when you think about it that way.

Anyway, for my own sanity and enjoyment of RAWK I think I'm going to start ignoring any poster that says the club is being short changed now that I figured out how the ignore function works. There will always be someone richer but the real issue here is a misuse of the resources we have, not a lack of resources.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42889 on: September 27, 2022, 01:00:43 am »
We have far too many numbers, but not enough durability. You would have to think the engine room is in for a reset. At least three will be gone as their contracts expire. And the refresh might be deeper than that.

Like all reds I’d prefer 5 good ones than 8 or 9 that are either aging, starting out, or just not able to stay fit and available for selection.

The disquiet on all Liverpool forums about the midfield is justified, but there’s a sense in which you can’t keep going back and saying shoulda coulda woulda.

If the engine room isn’t put right by the end of summer 2023, with quality, durability, and the age of the group as a whole coming down, then it is time to get out the pitch forks. It has been mismanaged, a bit, especially for a well run club, but I think we are going to sort it out as some unproductive wages come off the books.

In the meantime, we are all hoping we can get enough quality on the pitch in the midfield to stay relevant at the top end, while we go through a reset.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #42890 on: September 27, 2022, 05:00:50 am »
We have far too many numbers, but not enough durability. You would have to think the engine room is in for a reset. At least three will be gone as their contracts expire. And the refresh might be deeper than that.

Like all reds I’d prefer 5 good ones than 8 or 9 that are either aging, starting out, or just not able to stay fit and available for selection.

The disquiet on all Liverpool forums about the midfield is justified, but there’s a sense in which you can’t keep going back and saying shoulda coulda woulda.

If the engine room isn’t put right by the end of summer 2023, with quality, durability, and the age of the group as a whole coming down, then it is time to get out the pitch forks. It has been mismanaged, a bit, especially for a well run club, but I think we are going to sort it out as some unproductive wages come off the books.

In the meantime, we are all hoping we can get enough quality on the pitch in the midfield to stay relevant at the top end, while we go through a reset.

I think the takeaway though is the club thought they had accomplished that as well. Otherwise the only other answer is they truly didn't think that but were spending all this money anyway with a reduced chance to win. Unless you can get Ward, Klopp, Gordon or Hogan to confirm that then there's no way that can be true. The club truly went into the year thinking they had the squad to compete on all fronts same as last year.

Put another way, even moving on from Milner, Ox, Arthur and Keita you are still left with Fabinho, Thiago, Hendo, Jones and Elliott. That's 5 midfielders, right? Just as many as every other team we compete with, correct? So even still the numbers don't add up to be adding 3 new players unless we're also moving on more players than anybody cares to admit which most certainly isn't happening in reality. Odds are we're adding one, two at best, next season unless we're also moving on more than just those out of contract or out of loan term.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42891 on: September 27, 2022, 05:37:05 am »
I agree that missteps in the market have been more of an issue than negligence. Keita and Ox were intended to be the bridge between the old guard and the new, and the first of the new guard, Jones, has had his own development stalled by injuries (plus there are question marks over his true ceiling) so we've been left with a vast chasm where there should be a logical succession plan. We may be compounding these misses by extending the contracts of Milner and Hendo, I'm not sure. I don't reckon either of those would have happened if Keita or Ox had met expectations. I do also agree with Dave that just one or two astute signings in the right age bracket could improve the outlook dramatically, talk of 3 or 4 midfield signings is based on a false assumption that each outgoing needs to be met with an incoming.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42892 on: September 27, 2022, 07:12:59 am »
The amount of midfielders we have is absolutely mad and thats a combination of missteps (both at the time and with hindsight) and some bad luck.

The issue is that whilst I have always believed 6 midfielders should be enough, you have to remember that when we go to 5 next season (Keita, Arthur, Milner, Ox leave) that still means of our 5, two of them will be Thiago and Henderson. So straight away we are carrying a couple of injury prone players. Therefore 6 would not be enough and hence the need for at least two more midfielders to come in.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42893 on: September 27, 2022, 07:27:47 am »
Id rather our nerds got 2 or 3 players for Klopp. Cant be spending all our money on one player.
We don't have unlimited cash mate. It's important to consider the opportunity cost. If we spend £100m on him (which he isn't worth), it'll reduce the scope to sign other players.
There will be players out of contract like Tielemans for example. Don't necessarily need to buy incoming players to change our squad next season if Bellingham is our priority (which it should be).

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42894 on: September 27, 2022, 07:50:14 am »
It'll come down to how much does Klopp rate Jones and Elliott. Henderson has played about 2000 league minutes the last few years, similar to Gundogan, would expect the same this year and then next you ideally see that reduced as Elliot and Jones or new signing/s take more minutes. If he's not going to trust those two to play 2000ish league minutes then yeah we'll need more than 1 or 2

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #42895 on: September 27, 2022, 08:35:02 am »

We have too many midfielders but we probably need a couple more than City who for one thing rarely get injuries and also they just dominate games and rest with the ball. We expend a lot more energy and need energy in there. And when are City on the end of tackles like Elliott last season or what we get against Everton?

If we had 5 or 6 durable players then maybe but when - in the context of next season - you have a 32 year old Thiago and 33 year old Henderson - then you do need more options
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #42896 on: September 27, 2022, 10:26:28 am »
We have too many midfielders but we probably need a couple more than City who for one thing rarely get injuries and also they just dominate games and rest with the ball. We expend a lot more energy and need energy in there. And when are City on the end of tackles like Elliott last season or what we get against Everton?

If we had 5 or 6 durable players then maybe but when - in the context of next season - you have a 32 year old Thiago and 33 year old Henderson - then you do need more options
I would imagine that we will see both Thiago(2024) and Hendo leave at the end of their contracts. (2026) So there will be space for regeneration to make both of those more bit part players than the ones we rely on for 3000+ minutes.

Fab/Hendo/Thiago are the current incumbents of the midfield and Harvey/Carvalho are not ready for that 8 spot and can easily rotate in the forward line. We need 2 players in next season who can immediately be put into that midfield to freshen it up and add the physicality we are missing right now.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Jayo10

• Kopite
« Reply #42897 on: September 27, 2022, 11:52:00 am »
Looks like Bellingham favours a move to Real Madrid over the premier league. They supposedly asked him not to sign a new deal in the last 12 months.

Tchouameni, Camavinga, Valverde and Bellingham, not bad succession planning is it? How to get things done!

Offline Jayo10

• Kopite
« Reply #42898 on: September 27, 2022, 12:03:26 pm »
Might want to check the source on that

Marca apparently

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #42899 on: September 27, 2022, 12:06:09 pm »
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #42900 on: September 27, 2022, 12:09:54 pm »
Looks like Bellingham favours a move to Real Madrid over the premier league. They supposedly asked him not to sign a new deal in the last 12 months.

Tchouameni, Camavinga, Valverde and Bellingham, not bad succession planning is it? How to get things done!

Says who? The Spanish pro-Madrid media?   

Might be true, but more likely to be sort of blowing-smoke-up-arses that RM fans love.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42901 on: September 27, 2022, 01:25:57 pm »
Relatively encouraging quotes from Laimer. Thought he'd definitely be off to Bayern on a free (probably still is) but some quotes today of him saying he's a Liverpool fan and likes the PL a lot...

You get him on a free - albeit with a chunky signing on fee and wage - and it maybe gives you the freedom to splash the cash on Bellingham.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42902 on: September 27, 2022, 01:37:39 pm »
After next summer, we should be left with Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago, Elliot and Jones. The midfield refresh might go deeper in terms of outgoings, but that would be a small surprise.

(I personally think it was a mistake to give Henderson a few more years on a good whack, as his contribution on the pitch will wane, but on the other hand, he is the captain, he helps to set standards for the group, and Klopp is loyal and generally that is a big positive).

Since three are a bit older in the expected remaining group, and at least two of them struggle to stay fit regularly, we would need two signings.

Talent is a prerequisite. Then I’d like to see them come in at a good age, with years ahead of them, and preferably they will be athletes who can cover the ground and close down space rapidly, while also having excellent durability.

That’s what I expect will happen. And as we go forward again, Bacjetic might start to see a bit of action as the end for a couple of the remaining old guard starts to come into view.

I think a whole combination of factors have made us slightly more vulnerable in the engine room than we would like, even if we currently have numbers. But I’m confident it will be significantly improved by the end of the summer 2023 window.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 01:42:08 pm by G Richards »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #42903 on: September 27, 2022, 01:38:12 pm »
Didn't he recently tear a ligament or something?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42904 on: September 27, 2022, 01:41:03 pm »
After next summer, we should be left with Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago, Elliot and Jones. The midfield refresh might go deeper in terms of outgoings, but that would be a small surprise.

Since three are a bit older in the expected remaining group, and at least two of them struggle to stay fit regularly, we would need two signings.

Talent is a prerequisite. Then I’d like to see them come in at a good age, with years ahead of them, and preferably they will be athletes who can cover the ground and close down space rapidly, while also having excellent durability.

That’s what I expect will happen. And as we go forward again, Bacjetic might start to see a bit of action as the end for a couple of the remaining old guard starts to come into view.

I think a whole combination of factors have made us slightly more vulnerable in the engine room than we would like, even if we currently have numbers. But I’m confident it will be significantly improved by the end of the summer 2023 window.
Thiago will only have a year on his contract next summer too, however he's the type of player you could easily use in your squad until he's 35 or so.

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42905 on: September 27, 2022, 01:41:34 pm »
Didn't he recently tear a ligament or something?

Laimer? Yeah, out for six weeks or so.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42906 on: September 27, 2022, 01:43:28 pm »
Laimer? Yeah, out for six weeks or so.
Sounds just right for us.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42907 on: September 27, 2022, 01:46:52 pm »
Thiago will only have a year on his contract next summer too, however he's the type of player you could easily use in your squad until he's 35 or so.

He is silk. In our good performance recently he was head and shoulders above the rest of the midfield group, lifting the whole level. If we sign a couple of athletes, younger, who can do a lot of the work, it could well extend Thiago’s time here.

It will be interesting to see what he does. Part of me has wondered if he might like to see out his last couple of years in an easier league than the Prem, but hopefully we stave that off, as his passing and vision are just so good.

Offline Jayo10

• Kopite
« Reply #42908 on: September 27, 2022, 02:34:50 pm »
Laimer would be a fantastic addition on a Bosman, really terrific player. Exactly what our midfield needs.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #42909 on: September 27, 2022, 02:39:33 pm »

Playing for the biggest and most successful club in Europe whilst living in Spain and earning shit loads! I'm not surprised he would favour that  ;D

I saw a brief interview with his dad in the summer and he said his son has no major desire to return to England and enjoys experiencing different leagues and cultures so a few years in Spain would actually make a lot of sense for him.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42910 on: September 27, 2022, 04:03:51 pm »
laimer on a free?

sounds like too sensible a transfer? who can we raise the cash for the sign on fee? keita and ox is crocked.

more likey we extend milner and hendo contract as FSG balance the books to avoid the massive sign on fee. ;D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42911 on: September 27, 2022, 04:41:41 pm »
Playing for the biggest and most successful club in Europe whilst living in Spain and earning shit loads! I'm not surprised he would favour that  ;D

I saw a brief interview with his dad in the summer and he said his son has no major desire to return to England and enjoys experiencing different leagues and cultures so a few years in Spain would actually make a lot of sense for him.

So you believe basically Real Madrid's in house publication on a target? Marca are so, so bad when it comes to this sort of thing.  ;D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42912 on: September 27, 2022, 04:55:25 pm »
So you believe basically Real Madrid's in house publication on a target? Marca are so, so bad when it comes to this sort of thing.  ;D
I refuse to believe they're as big as the Reds worldwide, its a nonsense.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #42913 on: September 27, 2022, 04:56:15 pm »

I believe in common sense  ;D Any player in world football is going to give it some serious thought if Real Madrid are interested.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42914 on: September 27, 2022, 05:13:33 pm »
laimer on a free?

sounds like too sensible a transfer? who can we raise the cash for the sign on fee? keita and ox is crocked.

more likey we extend milner and hendo contract as FSG balance the books to avoid the massive sign on fee. ;D
Don't forget that we renewed Salah's contract which has eaten into our budget for the next 4 seasons :lmao :lmao

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42915 on: September 27, 2022, 05:15:28 pm »
They are reliable but it depends on who writes the article kinda like the Echo.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42916 on: September 27, 2022, 05:17:07 pm »
I believe in common sense  ;D Any player in world football is going to give it some serious thought if Real Madrid are interested.

Common sense should then also tell you they spent 100 million on Tchoo Tchoo and already have Valverde there. That's their future midfield.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42917 on: September 27, 2022, 05:17:50 pm »
They are reliable but it depends on who writes the article kinda like the Echo.

They are Real Madrid's mouthpiece and propaganda machine.  They may as well be called Daily Real Madrid.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42918 on: September 27, 2022, 05:26:07 pm »
Common sense should then also tell you they spent 100 million on Tchoo Tchoo and already have Valverde there. That's their future midfield.
They are really interested in Bellingham regardless. Valverde is versatile and currently plays on the wing.

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42919 on: September 27, 2022, 06:36:02 pm »
Not convinced Real will the money for Bellingham.
They will need to spend huge money on 2 forwards most likely.
They will need a CF & another forward too.