Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD  (Read 3121704 times)

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD
« Reply #35720 on: August 11, 2022, 10:47:12 am »
Thought this was interesting from Lijnders on Diaz:

“We never had any doubts. The only thing was that we really wanted him in January. I really felt that it was make-or-break. At one point it looked like we would have to wait until the summer, but then it changed, and we were very happy about that."

Shows that we actively wanted him in January, despite the reporting being that he was a summer target brought forward because Spurs agreed a deal with Porto. Seems the reality is that we tried to get him in January, then had to park it presumably because Porto were asking for too much, and then came back to the table after Spurs did the legwork.

I do think that this coming January is going to be a busy one with the season essentially split into two. Think Guardiola has hinted at City doing business then, and wouldn't surprise me if we're considering the same. Bellingham, for example, could be gettable in January if he has a good World Cup and his value peaks. Although of course Dortmund may be hesitant to sell mid-season.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #35721 on: August 11, 2022, 10:51:00 am »
Exactly. And he didn't say anything about us not being interested in Lar Janus so there's still hope.

When he signs, are they gonna invite us all to the big opening, or...
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35722 on: August 11, 2022, 11:05:30 am »
We wanted to go for Hugh Jass, but there was a backlash from the fans not happy with overpaying for British

Personally not arsed about nationality as long as they're good enough.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35723 on: August 11, 2022, 11:06:18 am »
Thought this was interesting from Lijnders on Diaz:

Shows that we actively wanted him in January, despite the reporting being that he was a summer target brought forward because Spurs agreed a deal with Porto. Seems the reality is that we tried to get him in January, then had to park it presumably because Porto were asking for too much, and then came back to the table after Spurs did the legwork.

I do think that this coming January is going to be a busy one with the season essentially split into two. Think Guardiola has hinted at City doing business then, and wouldn't surprise me if we're considering the same. Bellingham, for example, could be gettable in January if he has a good World Cup and his value peaks. Although of course Dortmund may be hesitant to sell mid-season.
Can't imagine Dortmund will be adamant he isn't for sale now but will do business mid season. Could obviously be wrong but i'd imagine he's there for the season then next summer they'll entertain bids

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35724 on: August 11, 2022, 12:41:11 pm »
Can't imagine Dortmund will be adamant he isn't for sale now but will do business mid season. Could obviously be wrong but i'd imagine he's there for the season then next summer they'll entertain bids

Our problem is now not next season, we seemed to have hoped the number of bodies we had would see us through (prior to addressing the quality issue) now we have fewer players available and the role of younger players is becoming more prominent we are not in a good place

Loss of form or further injuries now would seriously compromise our season

If we had spent massively then it would be much easier to accept but the reality is after sales we are almost neutral this summer and we’re placing all our eggs into signing someone who could easily have his head turned by more money / super club chasing him

Very risky approach and doesn’t make sense given the injury history of our senior players

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #35725 on: August 11, 2022, 12:54:04 pm »
Every year we go into a season leaving ourselves a bit short of what we need in one area or another but with the message from the usual hacks of "we'll deal with it next year". I think the issue with the midfield is with Gini leaving we needed someone in last year anyway.

The Diaz buy is an example of how being proactive rather than reactive can really benefit us. We don't always have to be so rigid and circumspect with making signings that can improve the squad.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35727 on: August 12, 2022, 09:19:15 pm »
I think we will sign him but more likely next season. Love the fact that he's left footed too

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35728 on: August 12, 2022, 09:34:30 pm »
I think we will sign him but more likely next season. Love the fact that he's left footed too

Salzburg like a January deal. Haaland, Minamino, Szoboszlai all moved in the winter window.

Said it in the other thread, but I think Sucic would definitely be gettable this summer, it's probably just not the right timing in our view. Better for his development to spend another year at Salzburg being one of their main men, starting every CL game, rather than coming here and being a squad option.

#BellinghamAndSucic2023

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35729 on: August 12, 2022, 09:38:56 pm »
Salzburg like a January deal. Haaland, Minamino, Szoboszlai all moved in the winter window.

Said it in the other thread, but I think Sucic would definitely be gettable this summer, it's probably just not the right timing in our view. Better for his development to spend another year at Salzburg being one of their main men, starting every CL game, rather than coming here and being a squad option.

#BellinghamAndSucic2023

That's a good point you've raised, mate.

I completely forgot that Salzburg have a history of selling players in the winter transfer window.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #35730 on: August 12, 2022, 10:34:28 pm »
It seems we're dead set on signing Bellingham and if we do I'll support him wholeheartedly and hope he's the greatest midfielder ever. With that said earlier in the thread I said I don't see why we would spend the £140m+ in total cost on Tchouameni and Bellingham as midfield is such a fungible position and in watching Bellingham today I can't see how that's wrong. Yes I know point and laugh at me as it's my own opinion so why would I disagree with it but at the same time I've been pretty clear now for 18 months that we needed to sign a midfielder as I don't think Jones or Elliott are midfielders, or at least the midfielders we need.  So why wouldn't I want us to sign Bellingham? Mainly if the rumored cost is anywhere near accurate I'm not sure he'll ever justify it and also his best attributes are almost nothing of what the squad needs.

Basically to me he's a slightly better defensively Curtis Jones, who we already have. He seems excellent around the opposition penalty area, can carry the ball up the field into the attacking 3rd quite well and will add goals from midfield. He won't dictate the game from midfield at all or consistently win the ball back from the opposition team. Freiburg basically had the run of the game today until their goalie let in a howler and they melted down. If you could tell Jude was out there doing anything it wasn't because he was stopping Freiburg from doing anything they wanted to do. Now the caveats here are that I have no idea what his instructions are as far as his roles and responsibilities, he's still only 19 so the more nuanced part of his game has a ton of time to grow and Dortmund just aren't very good compared to some recent versions.

But for me as much as it makes me want to vomit (and Ciara you're welcome to mock me forever) if you're telling me Rice and Bellingham are the same cost I'm taking Rice every time as things stand. Ideally I'm taking neither and getting two Bissouma's or Caicedo's but if we need to spend big on a midfielder then might as well as get the best at what the club needs now and not the best possibility of what the club could need in the future. We have Diaz, Jota, Nunez and Salah signed long term without getting into Ellott or Carvalho or the other U18's that we've spent a small fortune on. We don't need more goals and assists. We need more players to run and get the ball back and give it to those that make the goals and assists.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 10:36:11 pm by Dave McCoy »

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #35731 on: August 12, 2022, 11:07:31 pm »
Not seen anything of Sucic, would he compliment Mr Bellingham in midfield well by any chance? As I say I'm completely unfamiliar with his game.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35732 on: August 13, 2022, 12:04:58 am »
That's a good point you've raised, mate.

I completely forgot that Salzburg have a history of selling players in the winter transfer window.

Another thing worth noting is that Sucic is likely going to the World Cup with Croatia, so it may be beneficial for him to stay there and play week in week out for his international aspirations.

But once Croatia are out, he could conceivably come straight here to train as the Austrian league doesn’t restart until February.

Maybe it’d still end up a summer transfer - or maybe we don’t go for him at all - but there’s a few reasons to suggest a January move could happen.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35733 on: August 13, 2022, 01:16:35 am »
Not seen anything of Sucic, would he compliment Mr Bellingham in midfield well by any chance? As I say I'm completely unfamiliar with his game.
I'm completely unfamiliar with Bellingham never mind Susic, don't watch any other football than the Reds to be honest

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35734 on: August 13, 2022, 01:40:02 am »
It seems we're dead set on signing Bellingham and if we do I'll support him wholeheartedly and hope he's the greatest midfielder ever. With that said earlier in the thread I said I don't see why we would spend the £140m+ in total cost on Tchouameni and Bellingham as midfield is such a fungible position and in watching Bellingham today I can't see how that's wrong. Yes I know point and laugh at me as it's my own opinion so why would I disagree with it but at the same time I've been pretty clear now for 18 months that we needed to sign a midfielder as I don't think Jones or Elliott are midfielders, or at least the midfielders we need.  So why wouldn't I want us to sign Bellingham? Mainly if the rumored cost is anywhere near accurate I'm not sure he'll ever justify it and also his best attributes are almost nothing of what the squad needs.

Basically to me he's a slightly better defensively Curtis Jones, who we already have. He seems excellent around the opposition penalty area, can carry the ball up the field into the attacking 3rd quite well and will add goals from midfield. He won't dictate the game from midfield at all or consistently win the ball back from the opposition team.
Freiburg basically had the run of the game today until their goalie let in a howler and they melted down. If you could tell Jude was out there doing anything it wasn't because he was stopping Freiburg from doing anything they wanted to do. Now the caveats here are that I have no idea what his instructions are as far as his roles and responsibilities, he's still only 19 so the more nuanced part of his game has a ton of time to grow and Dortmund just aren't very good compared to some recent versions.

But for me as much as it makes me want to vomit (and Ciara you're welcome to mock me forever) if you're telling me Rice and Bellingham are the same cost I'm taking Rice every time as things stand. Ideally I'm taking neither and getting two Bissouma's or Caicedo's but if we need to spend big on a midfielder then might as well as get the best at what the club needs now and not the best possibility of what the club could need in the future. We have Diaz, Jota, Nunez and Salah signed long term without getting into Ellott or Carvalho or the other U18's that we've spent a small fortune on. We don't need more goals and assists. We need more players to run and get the ball back and give it to those that make the goals and assists.
Just a thought, Dave, but you're making Jude sound like the Newcastle version of Gini.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #35735 on: August 13, 2022, 08:03:18 am »
Bellingham was poor last night, one of his very, very rare off days. The entire Dortmund team
Was doing a passable impression of us v Fulham in the first 20 minutes, up until their equaliser. I don’t think he can be judged well on one poor game in isolation, just as he shouldn’t be judged on one incredible game in isolation, for example v Mainz last season where he got two assists and absolutely ran the game with non-stop pressing and great decision making. The truth is always somewhere in between but I’ve seen enough of Bellingham to confidently state he’s not in the same league as Jones at present, and I rate Jones but he’s not shown he’s consistently able to start for us and be depended on, whereas Bellingham would raise the level of the midfield.

He’s far from the only option but all things considered he might just be the best one.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35736 on: August 13, 2022, 09:25:33 am »
I'm completely unfamiliar with Bellingham never mind Susic, don't watch any other football than the Reds to be honest

I'm unfamiliar with them too but I hope we sign both of them, just for the song potential.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #35737 on: August 13, 2022, 10:07:13 am »
Bellingham was poor last night, one of his very, very rare off days. The entire Dortmund team
Was doing a passable impression of us v Fulham in the first 20 minutes, up until their equaliser. I don’t think he can be judged well on one poor game in isolation, just as he shouldn’t be judged on one incredible game in isolation, for example v Mainz last season where he got two assists and absolutely ran the game with non-stop pressing and great decision making. The truth is always somewhere in between but I’ve seen enough of Bellingham to confidently state he’s not in the same league as Jones at present, and I rate Jones but he’s not shown he’s consistently able to start for us and be depended on, whereas Bellingham would raise the level of the midfield.

He’s far from the only option but all things considered he might just be the best one.

Hot take: he’s not the best option because he’s not available this summer ;)

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #35738 on: August 13, 2022, 12:08:12 pm »
Bellingham was very poor last night. He's another one I've not really watched loads of, fucking hell he looks like a moaning bastard at times. Not sure that's a bad thing though, get it done Mr Ward  ;D
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35739 on: August 13, 2022, 12:21:17 pm »
... as midfield is such a fungible position...

Interesting post. Not a 100% convinced but I get where you are coming from. Just wondering - what's the basis for the bit quoted? My view has always been that the difference between a high end midfielder and a low end one is massive to a top team, but my view isn't based on anything more substantive than watching the game and received wisdom so interested to see if there's evidence to suggest its a low impact position.

(Not commenting on whether Bellingham is a high midfielder or not just the underlying point about midfielders.)
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35740 on: August 13, 2022, 05:12:31 pm »
Klopp wants to give Liverpool’s midfield a ‘makeover’ and Luka Sučić would be a long-term replacement for Jordan Henderson
[@SN_Aktuell]

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35741 on: August 13, 2022, 05:14:30 pm »
Interesting post. Not a 100% convinced but I get where you are coming from. Just wondering - what's the basis for the bit quoted? My view has always been that the difference between a high end midfielder and a low end one is massive to a top team, but my view isn't based on anything more substantive than watching the game and received wisdom so interested to see if there's evidence to suggest its a low impact position.

(Not commenting on whether Bellingham is a high midfielder or not just the underlying point about midfielders.)

Jake Livermore is an example of a high midfielder.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35742 on: August 13, 2022, 05:36:51 pm »

Bellingham seems to be the long term Henderson replacement target.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35743 on: August 13, 2022, 05:47:25 pm »
Sucic for one side, Bellingham the other.  8)

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #35744 on: August 13, 2022, 07:48:32 pm »

I think as time goes on I firmly believe more and more that you pay for either goals or to prevent goals. That's not to say our midfield 3 can be a bunch of scrubs but I don't think there is much difference in game outcomes if the midfielders are very good vs. world class and if you have finite resources you get much more diminishing returns by spending it on this area of the pitch vs. attack or defense.

The best example for me is if you were to take last years Norwich and replay the season once with Thiago in every game in midfield and then once with Salah in every game in attack with everything else the same. Would Norwich's results be any different? I'd bet the season with Thiago that no, they wouldn't be materially different because Norwich we're extremely bad at attacking and defending. Thiago being a great midfielder wouldn't materially change those facts. On the other hand I would bet on the season with Salah Norwich being better, possibly extremely so, because Salah is scoring goals and their attack is no longer worst in the league.

As far as evidence, you can read or watch Thom Lawrence's "Valley of Meh" presentation to explain this even better. Statistically you can't correlate almost any stat between the boxes as having any real influence on game outcomes whereas with a striker's xG you can clearly correlate it to game outcomes.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 07:51:12 pm by Dave McCoy »

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35745 on: August 13, 2022, 09:17:06 pm »
Bellingham and Sucic both being 6ft+ is handy. Tchouameni was the same obviously. Suggests we’re looking for a bit of height/physicality in the middle.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35746 on: August 13, 2022, 09:55:54 pm »
Bellingham and Sucic both being 6ft+ is handy. Tchouameni was the same obviously. Suggests we’re looking for a bit of height/physicality in the middle.
Tchouameni would have been boss here.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #35748 on: August 13, 2022, 10:22:08 pm »
I'm unfamiliar with them too but I hope we sign both of them, just for the song potential.

So I say thank you for the Susic, the goals he’s bringing

Offline marmite sw

• Main Stander
« Reply #35749 on: August 13, 2022, 10:58:19 pm »
why cant people see we only buy if theres someone we want ...since klopp has been with us that is the way .. we only buy who we want to buy no more pouring money down the drain on people who really dont fit not only has it worked but its won competitions and a premiership ....  trust the club i love how they do business without others knowing and always early ...

having faith in the youth is also big for klopp  we dont need a midfielder we will get by until a target is spotted ... some fans only seem to come alive when transfers happen like they support the club just for the transfer gossip ... i dont get it we have a great squad we buy great players leave em to it ..

my view is Bellingham if we want him we will get him maybe theres something there between the clubs and Bellingham for next summer ..i do hope so as he looks the real deal hes playing in a league thats the clostest to the prem but only if the club want him last thing we want is to be splashing cash on people that wont make it like we did for quite a few years ... trust klopp trust the club and most of all we are not like other clubs we are liverpool .....

roll on  monday night ...fingers crossed .. palace can be hard team to break depending on which one turns up

just my view anyway ... but then i always get told im not a liverpool fan as i dont live in liverpool lol
im autistic and have dyslexia as well as being born deaf so if thats a problem then its your problem ... awaits the gramma nazis ......lfc supporter since 1976 watch every game and get up to liverpool as often as i can......

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35750 on: August 13, 2022, 11:34:22 pm »
I think as time goes on I firmly believe more and more that you pay for either goals or to prevent goals.
sorry, but that made me laugh.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35751 on: August 14, 2022, 12:04:45 am »
Next summer I think we're getting at least 3 Midfielders who can play #6 and/or #8.

I expect Milner, Ox to go. Maybe Keita too. Hendo and Thiago will be a year older as well.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #35752 on: August 14, 2022, 12:06:50 am »
sorry, but that made me laugh.

Why?

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35753 on: August 14, 2022, 02:46:43 am »

I would love to see some technical ability to go with that. Especially in tight spaces. I think that piece alone makes Thiago super important for us as he's able to play out of a tight area. Bellingham looks like a bit of a unicorn and it would be terrific if we sign him although I have only seen limited bits of him play, so really can't comment too strongly on whether or not he's a good fit.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35754 on: August 14, 2022, 06:31:45 am »
I would love to see some technical ability to go with that. Especially in tight spaces. I think that piece alone makes Thiago super important for us as he's able to play out of a tight area. Bellingham looks like a bit of a unicorn and it would be terrific if we sign him although I have only seen limited bits of him play, so really can't comment too strongly on whether or not he's a good fit.

maybe thats the role that fabio will end up eventually?

imagine fab,sucic and jude. we be having one of the tallest midfield trio in epl.

we already have calls for trent in midfield. what about putting bobby in there once jota gets up to speed? think he might do a decent job there? he already have the engine, movement and touch.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35755 on: August 14, 2022, 07:14:07 am »
'No joy' - Jurgen Klopp makes Liverpool transfer admission as rival deals ignored
Jurgen Klopp has opened up on Liverpool's transfer situation as the clock ticks down towards September 1 deadline

By Ian Doyle Chief Liverpool FC Writer
22:30, 13 AUG 2022

Jurgen Klopp admits he doesn't take any joy from the transfer issues suffered by some of Liverpool's rivals - and is adamant he won't be influenced by business elsewhere.

Despite a lengthy injury list, the Reds are unlikely to make any further new signings after completing their recruitment drive ahead of pre-season with the arrivals of striker Darwin Nunez, attacking midfielder Fabio Carvalho and teenage right-back Calvin Ramsay.

While Manchester City, Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal have similarly prepared for the new campaign, both Manchester United and Chelsea - who will challenge for a top-four berth - are still scrambling to strengthen their squads with the Premier League season already underway.

Jurgen Klopp admits he doesn't take any joy from the transfer issues suffered by some of Liverpool's rivals - and is adamant he won't be influenced by business elsewhere.

Despite a lengthy injury list, the Reds are unlikely to make any further new signings after completing their recruitment drive ahead of pre-season with the arrivals of striker Darwin Nunez, attacking midfielder Fabio Carvalho and teenage right-back Calvin Ramsay.

While Manchester City, Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal have similarly prepared for the new campaign, both Manchester United and Chelsea - who will challenge for a top-four berth - are still scrambling to strengthen their squads with the Premier League season already underway.

"There's no joy in that the some teams are trying (to sign players). Other teams have finished their business as well. It's nothing to do with us.

"We cannot increase the rhythm or find money because other teams sign players and we say 'oh no, we have to do as well, because they signed him we now need him'. We have to be completely independent of whatever whoever is doing, and we are.

"We try to sort our situation, which is difficult enough very often but it's our situation at least. That's the only one we can have influence on. That's why it's the only one I'm concerned about."

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-transfer-breaking-24750125

What do people make of the comment in bold as I see people on twitter having a hissy fit and interpreting it to mean that we don't have any money?  ;D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 07:15:54 am by HardworkDedication »

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35756 on: August 14, 2022, 07:51:02 am »
We don't need more goals and assists. We need more players to run and get the ball back and give it to those that make the goals and assists.

We did the, ‘3 workers in midfield who’ll run all day’ thing. To some extent we’re still doing it now although Thiago is also evidence of an evolution. The thing is, we’ve begun to move away from it. We clearly want real technicians in midfield, players who’ll be able to progress the ball up the pitch and cope with being pressed. They also need to cover plenty of ground and get the ball back like you say. I’m not sure we need goals and assists although our midfielders have always chipped in a bit. But what we do want and need is progressing skills and your ‘give it the players who’ll score’ line risks downplaying this a little. The reality is Thiago is much, much better at getting the ball to our attacking players in positions they’ll be able to make an impact than our other CMs. We’ve been way too reliant on Trent for this and it’s good one of our m midfielders is doing more of that now.

The real problem at the moment is we’re dangerously close to, Thiago aside, having no players who are able to do both the running, defensive side of the game and the technical progressing side of the game. And some of those who used to do the hard running are slowing down. From hoping Elliot and Jones step up we’re now in a position with Thiago’s injury that we require them to step up. Not a good place go be in.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35757 on: August 14, 2022, 08:02:21 am »
Don't be surprised if Klopp views this season as a transitional season for the squad, Carvalho and Nunez need a season to get fully up to speed, midfield needs a bit of work, younger players certainly, and at the end of the season being content with 2nd or 3rd, with decent cup runs, before getting his preferred targets next summer and then going full throttle again, it's a reality of building squads that you'll have a fallow season from time to time.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35758 on: August 14, 2022, 08:52:38 am »
Don't be surprised if Klopp views this season as a transitional season for the squad, Carvalho and Nunez need a season to get fully up to speed, midfield needs a bit of work, younger players certainly, and at the end of the season being content with 2nd or 3rd, with decent cup runs, before getting his preferred targets next summer and then going full throttle again, it's a reality of building squads that you'll have a fallow season from time to time.

If Klopp gets his preferred targets next summer won't they also need a season to get fully up to speed? Then by 2024/5/6 Fabinho/robbo and VVD might need to be replaced, and we will need transitionary periods for their replacements, before we transition to the post klopp era itself.  We could be in a state of permanent transition.  Might be getting dizzy just thinking about it

« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 08:58:25 am by markmywords »

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35759 on: August 14, 2022, 09:56:51 am »

More likely to end up a transitional season if and when we have to overhaul the midfield in one go.