Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD  (Read 3110754 times)

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD
« Reply #43080 on: October 2, 2022, 07:29:28 am »
Is that what you took away from the post?  ;D

It's actually 7 midfielders (Thiago, Fab, Henderson, Jones, milner, Keita, Ox) :)

It's a massive rebuild if Jones, Carvalho or Elliot turn out to be too injury prone/ not really 8s/ not good enough. We'll legitimately need to replace Milner, Keita and Ox as well as find 'succession' players for Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago. Lots of that needs to be done now, well the summer but that's gone.

Even if 1/2 of Jones, Elliot or Carvalho can step up, it's still a big ask, but it becomes a bit more manageable.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43081 on: October 2, 2022, 08:21:07 am »
Buy from a position of strength and now we're reacting to situations and not being proactive, simply to save money which there's an argument for you lose a lot of money because of it.

FSG need to think about what they want. Spurs and Arsenal spending way more than us now too. Can't keep being the lowest spenders in the top 6 and expecting Klopp to work miracles every season.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43082 on: October 2, 2022, 08:33:05 am »
Buy from a position of strength and now we're reacting to situations and not being proactive, simply to save money which there's an argument for you lose a lot of money because of it.

FSG need to think about what they want. Spurs and Arsenal spending way more than us now too. Can't keep being the lowest spenders in the top 6 and expecting Klopp to work miracles every season.

Shouldnt Klopp be involved in this discussion. Clearly we have a budget and there may be some evidence that the budget isnt enough but I think Klopp, Ward, Edwards and the whole transfer team are knee deep in this.

It wasnt FSG that would round on journalists the second they mentioned a midfielder. Pretty much all reporting suggests that it was Klopp who wanted to give Henderson and Milner new contracts. He wanted to keep Wijnaldum as well.

Somehow in all of this, the bar to become a Liverpool player, or should that be a new signing, has been set far, far too high. Are we signing Matip or a Wijnaldum type signing now? I dont think we are. We have chief scouts giving presentations about how transfers are just completely risky full stop.

I dont think at any point that FSG are turning around to Klopp and saying you cant sign players because what do they know about who is good and who isnt? Gordon wouldnt claim (i dont believe so anyway) to say we cant sign someone as long as we stayed within budget.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43083 on: October 2, 2022, 08:36:54 am »
Shouldnt Klopp be involved in this discussion. Clearly we have a budget and there may be some evidence that the budget isnt enough but I think Klopp, Ward, Edwards and the whole transfer team are knee deep in this.

It wasnt FSG that would round on journalists the second they mentioned a midfielder. Pretty much all reporting suggests that it was Klopp who wanted to give Henderson and Milner new contracts. He wanted to keep Wijnaldum as well.

Somehow in all of this, the bar to become a Liverpool player, or should that be a new signing, has been set far, far too high. Are we signing Matip or a Wijnaldum type signing now? I dont think we are. We have chief scouts giving presentations about how transfers are just completely risky full stop.

I dont think at any point that FSG are turning around to Klopp and saying you cant sign players because what do they know about who is good and who isnt? Gordon wouldnt claim (i dont believe so anyway) to say we cant sign someone as long as we stayed within budget.

But what Klopp says and what he really thinks may be different. For example he said there's no one as dynamic as Ox in the market last summer. Now he couldn't have been serious right?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43084 on: October 2, 2022, 08:41:30 am »
But what Klopp says and what he really thinks may be different. For example he said there's no one as dynamic as Ox in the market last summer. Now he couldn't have been serious right?

That certainly is possible, but we cant then claim to know what goes on behind the scenes. However, what we know is that by the end Klopp did want a midfielder. However, what we will never know is what names our transfer team were putting forward to FSG. What if there were competing forces between Klopp and the transfer team itself?

What we know now is that quite clearly we have got this summer’s planning badly wrong. Physically we look shot and I dont really know how that comes about when physical stats and numbers should be the easiest to measure.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43085 on: October 2, 2022, 09:43:28 am »
Summer was a bit of a disaster really, wasn’t it?

The midfield situation has been discussed enough already, it was negligent to wait until next summer, and even the midfielder we panic-bought on deadline day is a poor fit in terms of what we need. Spent big on a striker who will take a while to bed in. Sign an injured teenager to be back-up to Trent. Carvalho a talent for the future but not immediately clear where he fits in to our system.

The club deserve a lot of credit for how they’ve built this side, but they also deserve criticism for this current situation.

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43086 on: October 2, 2022, 09:48:35 am »
That certainly is possible, but we cant then claim to know what goes on behind the scenes. However, what we know is that by the end Klopp did want a midfielder. However, what we will never know is what names our transfer team were putting forward to FSG. What if there were competing forces between Klopp and the transfer team itself?

What we know now is that quite clearly we have got this summer’s planning badly wrong. Physically we look shot and I dont really know how that comes about when physical stats and numbers should be the easiest to measure.

We're a side that needs quite a bit of work doing if we are to get back to City's level now. It's going to require more than the usual £10m net spend.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43087 on: October 2, 2022, 10:24:48 am »
Summer was a bit of a disaster really, wasn’t it?

The midfield situation has been discussed enough already, it was negligent to wait until next summer, and even the midfielder we panic-bought on deadline day is a poor fit in terms of what we need. Spent big on a striker who will take a while to bed in. Sign an injured teenager to be back-up to Trent. Carvalho a talent for the future but not immediately clear where he fits in to our system.

The club deserve a lot of credit for how they’ve built this side, but they also deserve criticism for this current situation.
I don't think there was anything wrong with Carvalho or Ramsay. We've committed a fair bit to players in their main positions and bringing in younger players who may end up being good for us is the right way to go when we do that. Nunez, or any striker was odd as it suggests Klopp really didn't rate Jota as a striker which seems mad as a fan as i'd have built the next side around him through the middle.

If we're going off this season then we backed the wrong players to build around and should have blown it all up sooner, but we had a pretty amazing season last year so can't be too annoyed if that turns out to be the case.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #43088 on: October 2, 2022, 10:41:10 am »
We're a side that needs quite a bit of work doing if we are to get back to City's level now. It's going to require more than the usual £10m net spend.

When you say usual, you mean ‘that one time’, right? :D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43089 on: October 2, 2022, 10:41:45 am »
Its hard to see a solution other than Guardiola leaving whilst Klopp is still here and getting replaced by an average manager.

The fact that before you spend a penny, any new owners will need to spend £billions to purchase the club tells you what motive the owners had when buying the club. They didn't buy us to save us from H&G or to win trophies, they did it to make money. This financial prudence is a choice.

After massive efforts last year, of course they were tired, The players are probably tired of being let down by the owners and being asked to go again with no help.

New faces, give players a boost.  After the trauma of last year that boost was essential.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43090 on: October 2, 2022, 10:47:19 am »
And yet if Villa had played like even an average PL team for the last half hour of the season, Courtois hadn’t had the game of his career, and everything else had transpired exactly the same this summer and this season…I can’t imagine many of us would give much of a fuck. So imagine how the players and manager feel. Essentially cheated out of immortality. But yes I imagine they’re far more disillusioned because we didn’t sign a midfielder in the summer.

Honestly I struggle to understand why some of you even bother with football because it really doesn’t seem to give you the joy it’s meant to.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #43091 on: October 2, 2022, 10:58:32 am »
After massive efforts last year, of course they were tired, The players are probably tired of being let down by the owners and being asked to go again with no help.

New faces, give players a boost.  After the trauma of last year that boost was essential.

Precisely....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43092 on: October 2, 2022, 11:07:36 am »
And yet if Villa had played like even an average PL team for the last half hour of the season, Courtois hadn’t had the game of his career, and everything else had transpired exactly the same this summer and this season…I can’t imagine many of us would give much of a fuck. So imagine how the players and manager feel. Essentially cheated out of immortality. But yes I imagine they’re far more disillusioned because we didn’t sign a midfielder in the summer.

Honestly I struggle to understand why some of you even bother with football because it really doesn’t seem to give you the joy it’s meant to.

Losing to cheats and needing a couple of refreshments, aren't mutually exclusive.

Even if we had won the quad last year, we still would've needed one or two in the middle.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43093 on: October 2, 2022, 11:09:43 am »
Losing to cheats and needing a couple of refreshments, aren't mutually exclusive.

Even if we had won the quad last year, we still would've needed one or two in the middle.

I certainly refreshed myself at the end of the season but it was more than a couple, more like a pallet full.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43094 on: October 2, 2022, 11:13:48 am »
I certainly refreshed myself at the end of the season but it was more than a couple, more like a pallet full.

Shouldn't you be off the wine  ;)

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43095 on: October 2, 2022, 11:22:16 am »

:) The Brighton post match thread certainly reads like some posters have refreshed with too much coke.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43096 on: October 2, 2022, 11:26:50 am »
:) The Brighton post match thread certainly reads like some posters have refreshed with too much coke.

I have already got my order in of that, delivery around the City game.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43097 on: October 2, 2022, 11:27:38 am »

I was trying to find that thread last night but every time I clicked on it, it was a transfer thread?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43098 on: October 2, 2022, 11:29:01 am »
I was trying to find that thread last night but every time I clicked on it, it was a transfer thread?

:D Yeah,got some Blue Loon vibes there as well.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43099 on: October 2, 2022, 11:29:48 am »
I have already got my order in of that, delivery around the City game.

Haha  ;D

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43100 on: October 2, 2022, 12:21:37 pm »

and if your aunt had a penis she’d be your uncle

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43101 on: October 2, 2022, 12:34:44 pm »
:D Yeah,got some Blue Loon vibes there as well.

For sure. Another reason why we definitely need to get back to winning ways!
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43102 on: October 2, 2022, 04:23:18 pm »
Jurgen can be ruthless when he wants to be. Time to wave goodbye to majority of the midfielders we do have and over the next two windows and crack on with getting proper #6's and #8's.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43103 on: October 2, 2022, 05:05:35 pm »
Jurgen can be ruthless when he wants to be. Time to wave goodbye to majority of the midfielders we do have and over the next two windows and crack on with getting proper #6's and #8's.

When?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #43104 on: October 2, 2022, 05:06:31 pm »
Klopp is only ruthless with players who don't fit his ethos, but he's too sentimental with players who have done amazing jobs for him in the past.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43105 on: October 2, 2022, 05:10:15 pm »

This is exactly why I'm giving it up.

Although I watched some amateur  "park football" and enjoyed it, so maybe that's the way forward for me.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #43106 on: October 2, 2022, 05:11:34 pm »
Klopp is only ruthless with players who don't fit his ethos, but he's too sentimental with players who have done amazing jobs for him in the past.

Very like Shankly in that respect.

Unlike the quiet but ruthless Paisley.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #43107 on: October 2, 2022, 05:13:56 pm »
When?

Coutinho, Sakho, he also had a big turnover of players at the start of his reign. The thing is with Klopp was when he was at Dortmund his best talents were always getting taken by Bayern, it's only since he came here, he's had the chance to hold onto players and see them through to their peak years. He has made some errors in keeping players too long as we are seeing now, but some will still do better once we find a way of adapting.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43108 on: October 2, 2022, 05:20:15 pm »
Coutinho, Sakho, he also had a big turnover of players at the start of his reign. The thing is with Klopp was when he was at Dortmund his best talents were always getting taken by Bayern, it's only since he came here, he's had the chance to hold onto players and see them through to their peak years. He has made some errors in keeping players too long as we are seeing now, but some will still do better once we find a way of adapting.

I’m not sure I’d say either of them were particularly ruthless. It’s just not really the sort of manager he is. If someone has played a big role in our success I think rightly or, more likely, wrongly he’ll pretty much let them leave on their terms.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #43109 on: October 2, 2022, 05:24:02 pm »
I’m not sure I’d say either of them were particularly ruthless. It’s just not really the sort of manager he is. If someone has played a big role in our success I think rightly or, more likely, wrongly he’ll pretty much let them leave on their terms.

Sakho was, especially after the messing about he did on the tour. He hardly bothered with him after that, Coutinho as well was pushed to go in the end after he was threatening club harmony.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43110 on: October 2, 2022, 05:37:24 pm »
Sakho was, especially after the messing about he did on the tour. He hardly bothered with him after that, Coutinho as well was pushed to go in the end after he was threatening club harmony.

Sakho was good timing. There’s no way he’d have had a long term future here, even if he wasn’t a twat in pre-season.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #43111 on: October 2, 2022, 05:39:12 pm »
We’ve bought one midfielder since 2018. Pretty incredible when you think about it.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43112 on: October 2, 2022, 05:42:54 pm »
We’ve bought one midfielder since 2018. Pretty incredible when you think about it.

That can’t be true?

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #43113 on: October 2, 2022, 05:45:02 pm »
That can’t be true?
We brought in Thiago in 2020. That’s it, unless you want to bucket Elliott in there
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline Wghennessy

• Embarassing
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43114 on: October 2, 2022, 06:08:12 pm »
Its so frustrating because there were so many on here saying "we need a midfielder". It took a single game in the PL this season for that to be an issue.

Its negligence and we are now paying for it.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #43115 on: October 2, 2022, 06:58:29 pm »
I’m guessing the problem is that there’s been a muddying of the lines of showing loyalty, and taking it too far.

A look back over threads would suggest many here where happy with contract extensions to players like Ox, Hendo, Milner. In fact, there where shouts of the club ‘doing right’ by Ox during a terrible injury for instance.

So for me the issue this summer was dictated by squad numbers. Hence no real right and wrong. Because it was logical to point out that there where enough midfielders here, as it was to say there was a need to get new midfielders. Both statements can be correct. Problem was - adding to a bloated squad. So the issue was more WHY they got themselves into that situation.   

We all got very attached to this squad for good reason - they won us the league, the CL, got us to many European finals, won us the domestic cups. But it’s almost like there needs to be more of an unemotional eye on things within the confines of Kirkby, to not allow the loyalty angle to get the squad balance in trouble.

Hindisght is great - and with it I guess we can say Milner should have been allowed to leave with his head held up high as a legend of this club, with no offer of a new deal. They shouldn’t have given into Henderson’s demands, and offered a season by season deal or something instead and put the ball in his court regards ’take it or leave it’.  Ox should never have been given a contract extension at that time. 

So here we are, with a shit ton of midfielders, far too many of them injured at the same time, and others running on empty.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #43116 on: October 2, 2022, 09:56:35 pm »

Really strange post. Accusing people of not taking joy from last season
because we appear to be a busted flush this term? Klopp is a genius, top level manager
which is how we stretched every last sinew to be in contention last season. But at what cost?
It was not Villa who stopped us winning the league, let's cite one other example: Spurs away.
Klopp had to start James Milner and Tyler Morton in midfield. Ended 2-2.
The lack of investment to refresh this squad means Klopp continually has to pull
rabbits out of hats to somehow stay in touch.

Well, the rabbits eventually disappear and nearly the whole squad looks knackered now.

We need to back the manager in a serious and material way now, or else we'll be
Way behind City and not in contention.

All want to see another league title for Klopp...
« Last Edit: October 2, 2022, 09:58:12 pm by lionel_messias »
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #43117 on: October 2, 2022, 09:57:34 pm »
Hard to disagree with much of this fair summation of our level of under investment in the playing squad and the factors that have led to it

https://twitter.com/mochatra/status/1576652421262381056?s=46&t=MK09DeK064rBDPiAa4h4hw

Change is needed

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43118 on: October 2, 2022, 10:20:44 pm »
Hard to disagree with much of this fair summation of our level of under investment in the playing squad and the factors that have led to it

https://twitter.com/mochatra/status/1576652421262381056?s=46&t=MK09DeK064rBDPiAa4h4hw

Change is needed

I posted this same one in the Klopp Template thread - it's a very succinct and to the point series of posts.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43119 on: October 3, 2022, 12:14:06 am »

Change is needed

Yeah it is, still think we are better than we are showing atm but we needed more in the summer. For the midfield (which is the biggest issue) we are at a natural inflection point next summer- Naby, Ox, Milner all are leaving and a decision needs to be made over Jones too. We need 2 minimum quality athletic young robust midfielders about to enter their prime- looking at Bellingham, Caicedo, Kone, Barella and would love us to go for Guimaraes