Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD  (Read 3110788 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD
« Reply #42760 on: September 21, 2022, 10:37:28 pm »
It’s the amount we raise from sales overall, the club is not spending massively over what it takes in but it wouldn’t be like you to miss a chance to deliberately miscrue data now would it?

We spent £320 million in two seasons and raised £200 million in sales. That’s spending a fair whack over what ‘it takes in’ (and no Al, that includes Coutinho :))

But as Peter says (and it does apply very appropriately for yourself and DonkeyWan in particular…)

Go and do something useful with your life. Bitching and moaning in the transfer thread during the international break is a pure waste of time. Time that you'll never get back ...
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42761 on: September 21, 2022, 10:43:35 pm »
We spent £320 million in two seasons and raised £200 million in sales. That’s spending a fair whack over what ‘it takes in’ (and no Al, that includes Coutinho :))

But as Peter says (and it does apply very appropriately for yourself and DonkeyWan in particular…)

We definitely do spend more than we earn in sales. Clearly the club has some money to spend, believe we have spent around £200m net since 16/17.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42762 on: September 21, 2022, 11:51:20 pm »
FSG are in talks about acquiring Atletico Mineiro of Brazil. 

Buy All The Brazilians! :D

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42763 on: September 22, 2022, 02:08:28 am »

Hulk to Liverpool  :o :o :o :o :o :o :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :shocked :shocked :shocked :rollseyes :rollseyes :rollseyes :rollseyes

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #42764 on: September 22, 2022, 06:08:23 am »
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #42765 on: September 22, 2022, 08:54:42 am »
We aren’t signing Bellingham and, frankly, for the price quoted in the papers we shouldn’t.

What have we been doing all summer then?

I've said often enough myself over the summer when 'but Bellingham' would be given as the reason for not buying a midfielder, that we'd soon hear the excuse that "he's too expensive" or "we can't offer the wages other clubs are" when we get to next summer. The only way we're signing him is if the whole deal is basically agreed already with the player and Dortmund and nothing else gets in the way of it (and we're not talking anything like 150 mill). I'd say that's possible but unlikely.

Of course we'd love Tchouameni and Bellingham but if we aren't dining at that top table when it comes to transfers, then we have to strategise better than this and box smarter.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42766 on: September 22, 2022, 09:02:02 am »

Nowhere near enough in my view. We were never seriously in for Mbappe and we won’t go for Bellingham beyond “inquiries” or “conversations”. Fans and some enterprising journalists appear to have magicked the whole story up out of thin air.

I agree we need to be smarter. We should be all over the French, Portuguese and South American markets and getting the hottest prospects before they go to a club like Dortmund and have a ridiculous price tag slapped on them.

Our owners are supposed to be all about finding value. Bellingham would be a great signing but he doesn’t represent value at all.

We need to take a little more risk and be buying the next Bellingham and Tchoumani before every man and their dog is after them.

I said after the Napoli game that their recruitment was very impressive. Napoli are exactly the sort of club we should be bullying. Once their lads go to Dortmund or PSG they are out of our price range.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #42767 on: September 22, 2022, 09:23:51 am »

I've said often enough myself over the summer when 'but Bellingham' would be given as the reason for not buying a midfielder, that we'd soon hear the excuse that "he's too expensive" or "we can't offer the wages other clubs are" when we get to next summer. The only way we're signing him is if the whole deal is basically agreed already with the player and Dortmund and nothing else gets in the way of it (and we're not talking anything like 150 mill). I'd say that's possible but unlikely.

Of course we'd love Tchouameni and Bellingham but if we aren't dining at that top table when it comes to transfers, then we have to strategise better than this and box smarter.

Well it's pretty obvious there's only 2 midfielders in the whole world who would have improved us, One has gone to Madrid and the other is apparently now too expensive.

May as well offer Hendo and Milner 5 year extensions then  ;D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42768 on: September 22, 2022, 09:34:42 am »
Nowhere near enough in my view. We were never seriously in for Mbappe and we won’t go for Bellingham beyond “inquiries” or “conversations”. Fans and some enterprising journalists appear to have magicked the whole story up out of thin air.

I agree we need to be smarter. We should be all over the French, Portuguese and South American markets and getting the hottest prospects before they go to a club like Dortmund and have a ridiculous price tag slapped on them.

Our owners are supposed to be all about finding value. Bellingham would be a great signing but he doesn’t represent value at all.

We need to take a little more risk and be buying the next Bellingham and Tchoumani before every man and their dog is after them.

I said after the Napoli game that their recruitment was very impressive. Napoli are exactly the sort of club we should be bullying. Once their lads go to Dortmund or PSG they are out of our price range.

Tend to agree but.....finding value and taking more risks probably don't go hand in hand.

Leicester are a good example at the moment. If Soumare and Daka had stayed at their respective clubs for one more season instead of moving to Leicester and carried on their form there, every man and his dog would have been after them. So they got them before....and they've both flopped. Its easy to say we should have got Bellingham or Tchouameni early, but there must also be a shitload of youngsters who we were linked with, didn't buy, and have flopped. Bellingham and Tchouameni have got to the level they're at because they've played so regularly. Dortmund in particular are always going to be a favourite for youngsters because they do play them so often. Its all very well saying we should get these players before they explode, but they potentially don't explode without moving to a 'transitional' club like Dortmund or Monaco in between. Brexit doesn't really help us here either, since we can't sign anyone foreign under 18, can only sign three U21s per window from abroad, everyone from abroad needing a work permit. Makes it a lot harder to try and stockpile that sort of player.

I do like the idea of FSG buying Atletico Mineiro, in a 'if you cant beat them, join them' sort of way. A few more like that would help. Red Bull have a great process (not particularly morally right or sporting) with having Red Bull Salzburg as essentially a feeder club to Leipzig but in a decent league and playing regular CL football.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42769 on: September 22, 2022, 09:51:04 am »
There is nothing wrong with our approach of buying players when they have proven themselves first and then signing them. Yes, it may cost more, but ultimately thats a model that has worked for us and we should continue it.

You also have to be careful about using the likes of Bellingham as an example. He is in a bracket close to his own and not every club, even at mid sized clubs, will be asking for £100-130m for their players. We can still afford players at 60-80m and they can be our 30-50m transfers we are good at. We also have contracts we can exploit.

I also think we need to disentangle ourself from the belief that we only spend on the best player available and use Van Dijk and Alisson. Those were exceptions and there are plenty of players who may not be the best that can still do amazing jobs for us. Classic example being Diaz.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42770 on: September 22, 2022, 09:55:37 am »

We will never know and a lot of the success depends on Nunez, but at the moment it does seem that we really misjudged this past summer. Not only were we desperate at the end but looks like we misjudged the level that some players in the squad are at.

We are still a top team but in terms of work, whether through arrogance, misjudgement, mistakes etc. we dont appear to have done enough.

Thankfully January wont be long away so we will have a chance to rectify it and we have players contracts ending so we will be forced into it in the summer. If we give contracts out to Keita/Ox/Firmino/Milner then we will know that we have not learnt anything.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42771 on: September 22, 2022, 10:07:06 am »

Napoli are difficult to buy from as well. They only sell big. That's how Koulibaly basically spent his career there as they priced him out of a move every summer.

We tend to have the right idea in looking at clubs like Benfica and Porto because these clubs scout well from markets like South America (and have good academies) but always sell their best players every summer which leaves a churn. Nunez and Diaz are therefore affordable for us, albeit Nunez just about with a very incentivised fee and a high minimum.

Obviously we can't just be Dortmund and just sign young players but that's the kind of market of player we need to be looking at more. We've done it with players like Kaide Gordon, Bajcetic and Harvey Elliott in getting them very young which we need to do. If we want a player like Bellingham get him from Birmingham, not Dortmund.

It's just really bad strategy to have a list with only a couple of players on it when they're both going to be out of our price range anyway once certain other clubs become involved. Man City or Real Madrid might be able operate like that, but we clearly can't.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42772 on: September 22, 2022, 10:14:54 am »
Bellingham was only going to go to Dortmund. Some players are good enough and back themselves to take that kind of route

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42773 on: September 22, 2022, 10:23:01 am »
Bellingham was only going to go to Dortmund. Some players are good enough and back themselves to take that kind of route

In which case you miss the window anyway. If we wanted Carvalho for example we had to get him from Fulham, not from the club that signed him from Fulham.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42774 on: September 22, 2022, 10:28:23 am »
It's just really bad strategy to have a list with only a couple of players on it....

It's a very low base at the moment in terms of improving our midfield options which gives him an opportunity.

See this, with respect, sums you up more than really saying anything else.

Firstly....you think we have a scouting list with two CMs on? :D

Secondly....you think its a very low base to improve our midfield? So going on that.....do you think we should have tried to get Fred or McTominay in the summer? Maybe Granit Xhaka? My guess is you think the 'bar' is he needs to be better than Milner when he's playing badly, right? Thankfully, really thankfully, the club doesn't work like that. Before we signed Sadio Mane and then Mo Salah we didn't really have any wingers, so anyone would have been an improvement on what we had. Another very low base. We were looking to improve on Jordan Ibe, Ryan Kent and Sheyi Ojo. So maybe someone like Nzogbia should have been signed back in 2016.  Scott Sinclair maybe. Someone like Nacer Chadli would have been utopia. 

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42775 on: September 22, 2022, 10:28:37 am »

they must have heard that clubs there are moving away from a not for profit model, and there's talk of a breakaway super league on the horizon for the bigger clubs.

they're still jonesing to invest in a club just before it becomes a closed shop

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42776 on: September 22, 2022, 10:32:30 am »
In which case you miss the window anyway. If we wanted Carvalho for example we had to get him from Fulham, not from the club that signed him from Fulham.

Yet the bulk of our successful signings under Klopp have been from either established PL clubs or big clubs across Europe like Porto, Roma, Monaco, etc.

People seem to be very down on the transfer strategy that has delivered so much success for us, while praising clubs that haven't been able to achieve what we have, all because of very specific examples like Bellingham, while ignoring that Dortmund sign plenty of players that will never reach the level required to play for us.

Even if we do miss out on Bellingham because some other club out prices us, I don't think that changes how successful our approach has been. It's debatable whether we should even be getting dragged into a bidding war with him, our midfield isn't in need of final touches, it needs to be rebuilt entirely.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42777 on: September 22, 2022, 10:43:12 am »

Nice try, over the last 5 years we've spent £470M and brought in £390M, so net spend of £18.5M per year
Peter is a genuine person, everyone can see what you are.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42778 on: September 22, 2022, 10:55:03 am »
Nice try, over the last 5 years we've spent £470M and brought in £390M, so net spend of £18.5M per year
Peter is a genuine person, everyone can see what you are.

What do you mean nice try? :D

In 2017 we spent £160 million
In 2018 we spent £160 million

In 2017 we recouped £165 million
In 2018 we recouped £35 million

I couldn't honestly give a toss what our net spend per year is, that's for people like yourself who like playing Football Manager and (with the greatest respect to you) are more interested in how much a club spends than what it does on the pitch. I think that's fair considering you said in the summer that you'd be happy for us to waste a load of money just as long as we were spending it.

Our 'net spend' over those two seasons (the last time we really hammered it in terms of improving the first team) was £120 million. Net. Not 'oh but that doesn't include Coutinho'. It does. So the idea that we 'only spend big after we've sold a big player' doesn't work. Now Asam, if you're not going to hibernate like usual until January then please do try a little harder to contribute.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42779 on: September 22, 2022, 10:57:33 am »
See this, with respect, sums you up more than really saying anything else.

Firstly....you think we have a scouting list with two CMs on? :D

Secondly....you think its a very low base to improve our midfield? So going on that.....do you think we should have tried to get Fred or McTominay in the summer? Maybe Granit Xhaka? My guess is you think the 'bar' is he needs to be better than Milner when he's playing badly, right? Thankfully, really thankfully, the club doesn't work like that. Before we signed Sadio Mane and then Mo Salah we didn't really have any wingers, so anyone would have been an improvement on what we had. Another very low base. We were looking to improve on Jordan Ibe, Ryan Kent and Sheyi Ojo. So maybe someone like Nzogbia should have been signed back in 2016.  Scott Sinclair maybe. Someone like Nacer Chadli would have been utopia.

No, you've just took a quote from a post on a completely different thread out of context.

I said it's a low base to improve the midfield options right now (in terms of Arthur) given all the injuries we've had and we've kids on the bench all season and Milner starting, hence Arthur has an opportunity.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42780 on: September 22, 2022, 11:07:35 am »
No, you've just took a quote from a post on a completely different thread out of context.

I said it's a low base to improve the midfield options right now (in terms of Arthur) given all the injuries we've had and we've kids on the bench all season and Milner starting, hence Arthur has an opportunity.

Ok so if its a low base, surely you'd have taken any old midfielder in the summer? Others have said it too. 'I cant believe only two midfielders would have improved our midfield'. Well no, many would have 'improved' our midfield. Thats not how we work, particularly at the level we're trying to compete at.

What would your criteria be for the sort of midfielder we should have signed in the summer? Better than Milner? Or Keita? Or Henderson? Or just more reliable fitness wise than what we have already?

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42781 on: September 22, 2022, 11:10:36 am »

I couldn't honestly give a toss what our net spend per year is, that's for people like yourself who like playing Football Manager and (with the greatest respect to you) are more interested in how much a club spends than what it does on the pitch. I think that's fair considering you said in the summer that you'd be happy for us to waste a load of money just as long as we were spending it.

Our 'net spend' over those two seasons (the last time we really hammered it in terms of improving the first team) was £120 million. Net. Not 'oh but that doesn't include Coutinho'. It does. So the idea that we 'only spend big after we've sold a big player' doesn't work. Now Asam, if you're not going to hibernate like usual until January then please do try a little harder to contribute.
Net spend is also a poor way of judging the expenditure of FSG.  Even ignoring the considerable infrastructure investments they increased our wage bill from £109m in 2012 to £326m in 2020.  Their model has always been about trying to sign players for value and then using competitive wages to attract and retain them.

Realistically we don't have the financial means to compete with the net spends of the big clubs and support our wage bill.  The prioritisation of wages seems to have worked out pretty well so far.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42782 on: September 22, 2022, 11:11:04 am »

The way we measure how much the owners invest into the team is to look at the nett spend, now if you couldn't give a toss about how much the owners are actually investing because you're happy for them to see their investment grow while they invest very little into the club then that explains much about your posting history, it's sad but there are always traitors in the midst.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42783 on: September 22, 2022, 11:16:32 am »
Net spend is also a poor way of judging the expenditure of FSG.  Even ignoring the considerable infrastructure investments they increased our wage bill from £109m in 2012 to £326m in 2020.  Their model has always been about trying to sign players for value and then using competitive wages to attract and retain them.

Realistically we don't have the financial means to compete with the net spends of the big clubs and support our wage bill.  The prioritisation of wages seems to have worked out pretty well so far.

Wasn't this all funded by the club though? Or was it out of FSG's pocket.

I genuinely don't know by the way, but lean towards self funded.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42784 on: September 22, 2022, 11:24:39 am »
Wasn't this all funded by the club though? Or was it out of FSG's pocket.

I genuinely don't know by the way, but lean towards self funded.
I don't know either but I would expect it came from the club (or from loans taken out against the club).  Either way though if they'd instead spent that money on a few hundred £m of new signings our net spend would be much larger and that argument would be dead in the water.

Arguably they prioritised infrastructure over signings as it provides a guaranteed increase in the value of their asset.  I've not got a problem with that but appreciate why others may do.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42785 on: September 22, 2022, 11:25:11 am »
Ok so if its a low base, surely you'd have taken any old midfielder in the summer? Others have said it too. 'I cant believe only two midfielders would have improved our midfield'. Well no, many would have 'improved' our midfield. Thats not how we work, particularly at the level we're trying to compete at.

What would your criteria be for the sort of midfielder we should have signed in the summer? Better than Milner? Or Keita? Or Henderson? Or just more reliable fitness wise than what we have already?

It became a low base because of all the injuries. We wouldn't have signed Arthur otherwise in a blind panic on the last day of the window. It obviously wasn't a low base before a load of players got crocked.

A replacement for Wijnaldum would have been ideal (which we didn't do last year either)/someone who can offer similar qualities to Thiago at least when he's unavailable.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42786 on: September 22, 2022, 11:27:33 am »
The way we measure how much the owners invest into the team is to look at the nett spend, now if you couldn't give a toss about how much the owners are actually investing because you're happy for them to see their investment grow while they invest very little into the club then that explains much about your posting history, it's sad but there are always traitors in the midst.

:D

See the problem you have quite often Asam, is that you're like a little excited puppy when you think you can get one over on someone. And inevitably fail because you launch yourself in without thinking. Someone said 'we haven't got anyone we can sell to fund any big transfers'. We have had a summer where we spent well over £100 million net. Net. Net. Net. Just to repeat, net spend. So the idea that we need to 'sell to buy' or we 'need a big sale to fund a big purchase' is, again, nonsense. Net spend over 5/10/whatever years isn't really a great stat to be honest when talking about what we might spend in individual windows.

It does again sum you up though. What they've invested in the 'team'. You need to try and get out of the mindset of 'transfers, signings, oooh exciting'. I know its hard, I was honestly the same when I was a kid too. I remember buzzing over us being linked with Hakan Yakin, and fuming when we didn't get him. But they own the 'club'. So you can't really just ignore all of the other improvements under their ownership, as much as you are just interested in signings.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42787 on: September 22, 2022, 11:28:14 am »
It became a low base because of all the injuries. We wouldn't have signed Arthur otherwise in a blind panic on the last day of the window. It obviously wasn't a low base before a load of players got crocked.

A replacement for Wijnaldum would have been ideal (which we didn't do last year either)/someone who can offer similar qualities to Thiago at least when he's unavailable.

Thiago was the replacement for Wijnaldum, like it or not.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42788 on: September 22, 2022, 11:42:40 am »
There is nothing wrong with our approach of buying players when they have proven themselves first and then signing them. Yes, it may cost more, but ultimately thats a model that has worked for us and we should continue it.

Also, a large part of the club's fanbase (I'd actually say the vast majority) don't have the patience to let the young kids develop.  Just look at Harvey's thread as a perfect example. 

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42789 on: September 22, 2022, 11:47:17 am »

Our revenues are $654M per year, no-one expects us to be spend at the level of a club that's cheating but we do expect them to invest on a par with an Arsenal who has revenues of almost 171M a year less than us or Spurs with 219M less than us.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42790 on: September 22, 2022, 11:51:32 am »
:D

See the problem you have quite often Asam, is that you're like a little excited puppy when you think you can get one over on someone. And inevitably fail because you launch yourself in without thinking. Someone said 'we haven't got anyone we can sell to fund any big transfers'. We have had a summer where we spent well over £100 million net. Net. Net. Net. Just to repeat, net spend. So the idea that we need to 'sell to buy' or we 'need a big sale to fund a big purchase' is, again, nonsense. Net spend over 5/10/whatever years isn't really a great stat to be honest when talking about what we might spend in individual windows.

It does again sum you up though. What they've invested in the 'team'. You need to try and get out of the mindset of 'transfers, signings, oooh exciting'. I know its hard, I was honestly the same when I was a kid too. I remember buzzing over us being linked with Hakan Yakin, and fuming when we didn't get him. But they own the 'club'. So you can't really just ignore all of the other improvements under their ownership, as much as you are just interested in signings.

Jurgen Klopp has revealed that the club do have to sell players in order to buy

"It’s a wealthy club with no problems but the policy here is clear. We spend what we earn, if we earn more, we can spend more. If we earn less, we can spend less"

Look, you can call Klopp a LIAR if you want, clearly you know more about our policy than he does, it's quite sad and pathetic that you would stoop that low but not a surprise

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42791 on: September 22, 2022, 11:58:20 am »
Jurgen Klopp has revealed that the club do have to sell players in order to buy

"It’s a wealthy club with no problems but the policy here is clear. We spend what we earn, if we earn more, we can spend more. If we earn less, we can spend less"

Look, you can call Klopp a LIAR if you want, clearly you know more about our policy than he does, it's quite sad and pathetic that you would stoop that low but not a surprise

Do you honestly need the difference explaining to you between what the club earns, and what we bring in through transfers? :D Again, its that tunnel vision on transfers Asam. Honestly mate, log off for a few hours and come back refreshed because you're having a mare.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42792 on: September 22, 2022, 12:03:26 pm »
Our revenues are $654M per year, no-one expects us to be spend at the level of a club that's cheating but we do expect them to invest on a par with an Arsenal who has revenues of almost 171M a year less than us or Spurs with 219M less than us.
Arsenal's wage bill in 2020 was £225m, over £100m/year less than us.  In 2012 their wage bill was £143m, £34m higher than us.

In terms of the relative successes of the two clubs I'd say FSG pumping money into wages rather than signings was pretty smart.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42793 on: September 22, 2022, 12:05:32 pm »
How much do we earn as a club and how much do we spend?

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42794 on: September 22, 2022, 12:06:04 pm »
Also, a large part of the club's fanbase (I'd actually say the vast majority) don't have the patience to let the young kids develop.  Just look at Harvey's thread as a perfect example.

Of course the issue with Elliott isn’t so much anything he’s done wrong rather he is hurting the team by the skill set he does and doesn’t have. You can’t just prioritise individual development over team cohesion at this level.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42795 on: September 22, 2022, 12:09:03 pm »
Thiago was the replacement for Wijnaldum, like it or not.

He was but Wijnaldum was an ever present in his last season here. Those minutes needed replacing and Thiago will always pick up injuries and is 31 himself. We need his longer term replacement.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42796 on: September 22, 2022, 12:30:29 pm »
Of course the issue with Elliott isn’t so much anything he’s done wrong rather he is hurting the team by the skill set he does and doesn’t have. You can’t just prioritise individual development over team cohesion at this level.

And you just proved my point. 

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42797 on: September 22, 2022, 12:32:54 pm »

We're not a feeder club. We don't exist to satisfy young players. Liverpool FC exists to win. You have to be absolutely exceptionally talented and fit exactly the system with and without the ball to make it here. If you're not able to do that as a young player you can't be upset at it. It's a tough school but it should be.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42798 on: September 22, 2022, 12:33:04 pm »

Would argue the club doesn't have the patience for that much either.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42799 on: September 22, 2022, 12:54:45 pm »
Arsenal's wage bill in 2020 was £225m, over £100m/year less than us.  In 2012 their wage bill was £143m, £34m higher than us.

In terms of the relative successes of the two clubs I'd say FSG pumping money into wages rather than signings was pretty smart.

Which is fine but that has nothing to do with the point you were making about our revenues and spend compared to other big clubs

We are in the top 5/6 largest clubs in the world today and will be in the top 3 in the next few years, there aren't many clubs bigger so our baseline in terms of expectations shouldn't be a mid table premier league club unless you are El Lobo in which case us getting a draw vs Everton is utopia