Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD  (Read 3110807 times)

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD
« on: August 5, 2021, 10:55:25 am »
Let’s start again. Can we keep it light, be nice to each other, and try and stick to transfers as best we can?

Ta all you’re marvellous to a man, woman, or however else you define yourself.  :wave

-

There's no transfer news. So now that the thread has reopened, think about engaging with fellow forum users on a more balanced footing please. Also, try and consider context a little further. This is a club that walks a high wire in relation to squad depth - it's how the manager has said he wants it since his early days in German football. So just think about context a little more.

Stop complaining that the thread is 'being dominated'. Be more persuasive and do it politely if you feel you aren't 'winning'. The saying goes, "a man (person) convinced against his will is of the same opinion still". If that's the impression you're getting, don't call the other person an idiot and don't perpetuate it - go and do some crochet or something and save the site the expense of displaying yet another pointless argument.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 09:51:55 pm by John C »
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
If you go on and on and on, and you've already been warned several times, you may end up with a ban - just saying. Be all you can be.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
I think there were some good points made about us being competitive in the transfer market. There is still a few weeks left and I'm we all hope we can make another signing or 2. My problem is our lack of depth if we get another run of injuries ( doesn't need to be as bad as last season )
Look At Chelsea, city and Man Utd's benches compared to ours and it doesn't sit well.
Everyone stays fit then no problem but that's just not going to happen throughout a long season.
Klopp Will have everything under control, when he eventually leaves let's hope it's on good terms
I have plenty more views about replacing gini etc but those have already been covered

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
I think any Transfer complaints should be written on a bed sheet ( in your own blood prefrably) and posted on Shankly or Paisley gates.

I'm sure the club will get back you asap.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
I think there were some good points made about us being competitive in the transfer market. There is still a few weeks left and I'm we all hope we can make another signing or 2. My problem is our lack of depth if we get another run of injuries ( doesn't need to be as bad as last season )
Look At Chelsea, city and Man Utd's benches compared to ours and it doesn't sit well.
Everyone stays fit then no problem but that's just not going to happen throughout a long season.
Klopp Will have everything under control, when he eventually leaves let's hope it's on good terms
I have plenty more views about replacing gini etc but those have already been covered

We will never have a bench as strong as the richest 3 clubs in the league though. Unless we suddenly get a load of great young players coming through. I think everyone knows on here and most likely at the club we could do with an attacker and midfielder. But also Origi and Shaqiri have to go first, probably both in terms of being able to register players and money. If Shaqiri stayed fit would be a decent bench option. I think it's Origi who really needs to leave, he was very poor when he played last season.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2021, 12:02:32 pm by clinical »
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
I think any Transfer complaints should be written on a bed sheet ( in your own blood prefrably) and posted on Shankly or Paisley gates.

I'm sure the club will get back you asap.

A couple of points:

1. By the time the bedsheet is posted, the writing will be brown, not red.
2. If you're using bedsheets to send a message to LFC, they should be posted outside Prenton Park.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good

If we're all injury free, it'd look like this'ish:

Alisson, TAA, Van Dijk, Gomez, Robbo, Fabinho, Thiago, Hendo, Salah, Mane, Firmino SUBS Kelleher, Konate, Tsimikas, Keita, Jones, Jota, Origi

De Gea, Wan Bissaka, Varane, Maguire, Shaw, Fred, McTominay, Sancho, Fernandes, Pogba, Cavani SUBS Henderson, Telles, Lindelof, Van De Beek, Rashford, Greenwood, Martial

Ederson, Cancelo, Dias, Stones, Zinchenko, Rodri, Fernandino, De Bruyne, Foden, Jesus, Sterling SUBS Steffen, Mendy, Laporte, Gundogan, Mahrez, Torres, Silva

Mendy, James, Azpilicueta, Silva, Rudiger, Chilwell, Kante, Jorginho, Pulisic, Werner, Havertz SUBS Kepa, Alonso, Christensen, Kovacic, Mount, Ziyech, Abraham

What doesn't sit well?

Obviously we expect to see Abu Dhabi add Kane and Grealish, Chelsea probably Lukaku. But since they haven't happened yet.....dyou genuinely think we're particularly far off, if at all? We've all got strengths and weaknesses but I'm really not seeing that we're standing out as having a weak bench compared to the others. And our first 11 looks stronger than any of them. And thats with quite a few strong players not on the bench (Matip, Ox, Milner, Shaq, Elliott etc)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Alisson, TAA, Van Dijk, Gomez, Robbo, Fabinho, Thiago, Hendo, Salah, Mane, Firmino SUBS Kelleher, Konate, Tsimikas, Keita, Jones, Jota, Origi

De Gea, Wan Bissaka, Varane, Maguire, Shaw, Fred, McTominay, Sancho, Fernandes, Pogba, Cavani SUBS Henderson, Telles, Lindelof, Van De Beek, Rashford, Greenwood, Martial

Ederson, Cancelo, Dias, Stones, Zinchenko, Rodri, Fernandino, De Bruyne, Foden, Jesus, Sterling SUBS Steffen, Mendy, Laporte, Gundogan, Mahrez, Torres, Silva

Mendy, James, Azpilicueta, Silva, Rudiger, Chilwell, Kante, Jorginho, Pulisic, Werner, Havertz SUBS Kepa, Alonso, Christensen, Kovacic, Mount, Ziyech, Abraham

What doesn't sit well?

Obviously we expect to see Abu Dhabi add Kane and Grealish, Chelsea probably Lukaku. But since they haven't happened yet.....dyou genuinely think we're particularly far off, if at all? We've all got strengths and weaknesses but I'm really not seeing that we're standing out as having a weak bench compared to the others. And our first 11 looks stronger than any of them. And thats with quite a few strong players not on the bench (Matip, Ox, Milner, Shaq, Elliott etc)

Considering what all those teams are able to spend in relation to us, I'd say we have a pretty fucking great squad as it stands.

And not forgetting Matip, Ox, Shaqiri (for now)
« Last Edit: August 5, 2021, 12:12:49 pm by Dubred »

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
As the season approaches I think some of the smaller clubs will start to panic and look to bring someone in, especially if they've been inactive in the transfer market - they won't want angry fans on the first day of the season. Hopefully some of our disposable assets will be high up on their shopping list.
Until then it's a case of being patient, we're fully stocked (which is our own fault) and need to cut the numbers before we bring some in, unfortunately a lot of our less patient fans can't (or don't want to) understand that.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
Considering what all those teams are able to spend in relation to us, I'd say we have a pretty fucking great squad as it stands.
Definitely. Add in a Raphinha and a Bissouma, for example, and the squad is boss as fuck.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Definitely. Add in a Raphinha and a Bissouma, for example, and the squad is boss as fuck.

We could do with better than Raphinha.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan

What doesn't sit well?

I've very little to add to this post other than I completely agree with you.

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan

What doesn't sit well?

Interesting to look at, so thanks for posting.

I'd say, if you're looking at players who can come off the bench and change the game (attacking players), then we look the weakest. Even Utd have a wealth of attacking options now. If we're struggling to break teams down who do we turn to? If Mo gets injured in the derby who takes his place?

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
The fact that Matip, Ox and Shaqiri aren't in that 18, should show that we are not exactly paupers. Personally I'd have big Joel starting.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Only realised today that the PL starts next week!

That's come quick....have dipped in and out of the off-season goings on. But reckon we'll sign one more player and let a few more go...i don't think we will have no more incomings at all.

Quietly optimistic for the season barring injuries
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan

What doesn't sit well?

I agree with you, the squad is very good (I’ve said this on many occasions)

-We need 2 more (forward and midfielder) and better luck with injuries
-It doesn’t need Man City or Chelsea spending to do that

Budget range

Midfielder such as Neuhaus £30M
Forward circa £25-40M

So about £65-70M and we will hopefully raise funds with Origi/Shaqiri/Phillips to the tune of £30M at least so a nett spend of £40m

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
We could do with better than Raphinha.
That's why I said 'for example'. A 'Jota type' any better?

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
Much will depend on how Van Dijk,Gomez,Firmino & Mane perform this season I think.

On paper superb players but for different reasons they may not be at their peak anymore.

The other sides have younger players who will improve.
Its why we do need a couple of younger quality players ideally.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
Much will depend on how Van Dijk,Gomez,Firmino & Mane perform this season I think.

On paper superb players but for different reasons they may not be at their peak anymore.

I think Mane will be back to his best, he just got burned out and had a dip in confidence, I don’t think Bobby’s decline is down to fitness or injuries, he may be playing deeper and lost some self belief, hopefully he gets back to his best

VVD/Gomez will probably need until the new year before we see the best of them

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
The fact that Matip, Ox and Shaqiri aren't in that 18, should show that we are not exactly paupers. Personally I'd have big Joel starting.

as would anyone in their right mind  :P

I’m hoping Sadio having an extended break for the first time in a long time will have done him a world of good too, and with Jota fit, looking forward to seeing if they all hit their stride early in the season.  Reckon Harvey will play a fair bit more than maybe we expected too, he’s been given every chance pre-season so far to show he’s ready.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/feA64wXhbjo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/feA64wXhbjo</a>

We're keeping hold of our Torres' and our Suarez' this time round.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2021, 12:53:48 pm by BER »

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan

Can you elaborate on this? I feel like people always say 'he's young so will only get better', yet I feel like that isn't true much of the time.

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
Interesting to look at, so thanks for posting.

I'd say, if you're looking at players who can come off the bench and change the game (attacking players), then we look the weakest. Even Utd have a wealth of attacking options now. If we're struggling to break teams down who do we turn to? If Mo gets injured in the derby who takes his place?

Jota
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan

What doesn't sit well?

Think goals would be the concern.

The mancs as irritating and poor as they are have scorers on that bench. Greenwood will get goals, almost certainly, Rashford... goals and assists. Take Van De Beek out and you also have Lingard who for all his childish prancing about looked very impressive on loan last season and is a big goal threat

Abraham goals, Mount and Ziyech will contribute goals and likely set some up

Gundogan, Silva, Torres, Mahrez is incredibly strong but its to be expected given the spending but still, the point remains... goals

We rely on the front 3 for goals massively and if they aren't scoring, who from that bench is coming on and changing this to an even similar effect to those named amongst the other sides. Granted they have large sums to spend but goalscorers dont have to cost the earth. If the rumoured deals go through (which remains to be seen) it just adds to the fact they have options to use who will score for them. We have one realll consistent goal threat from our bench... ONE. For a side going for the title up against those sides mentioned plus others being in the mix to some degree, is our goal threat enough with the risk of injuries, loss of form etc?

We have a good squad, no ones arguing we need 8 or 9 but we dont have the same strength in certain areas from the bench. Its not to say the squad is poor or miles behind but in some aspects, some will argue it falls short and I do believe it's hard to argue that it does.

Jota is sublime, fits us brilliantly, but it seems to be just him! Origi seems done here, Shaq can be a goal threat but doesn't suit our playstyle and doesn't play, Jones for the first team is a different prospect in terms of goal threat to for the reserves.

If people are arguing our squad is weak compared the others i'd say they're wrong, but in terms of gamechangers and goal threat, we are lacking somewhat.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2021, 01:20:36 pm by RyanBabel19 »

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Think goals would be the concern.

The mancs as irritating and poor as they are have scorers on that bench. Greenwood will get goals, almost certainly, Rashford... goals and assists.

Abraham goals, Mount and Ziyech will contribute goals and likely set some up

Gundogan, Silva, Torres, Mahrez is incredibly strong but its to be expected given the spending but still, the point remains... goals

We rely on the front 3 for goals massively and if they aren't scoring, who from that bench is coming on and changing this to an even similar effect to those named amongst the other sides. Granted they have large sums to spend but goalscorers dont have to cost the earth. If the rumoured deals go through (which remains to be seen) it just adds to the fact they have options to use who will score for them. We have one realll consistent goal threat from our bench... ONE. For a side going for the title up against those sides mentioned plus others being in the mix to some degree, is our goal threat enough with the risk of injuries, loss of form etc?

We have a good squad, no ones arguing we need 8 or 9 but we dont have the same strength in certain areas from the bench. Its not to say the squad is poor or miles behind but in some aspects, some will argue it falls short and I do believe it's hard to argue that it does.

Jota is sublime, fits us brilliantly, but it seems to be just him! Origi seems done here, Shaq can be a goal threat but doesn't suit our playstyle and doesn't play, Jones for the first team is a different prospect in terms of goal threat to for the reserves.

If people are arguing our squad is weak compared the others i'd say they're wrong, but in terms of gamechangers and goal threat, we are lacking somewhat.

For me, as far as priorities go, a striker would have been the one this summer, but I don't see it happening (of course we definitely needed a quality centre half too, which hopefully we've found with Konate)

I'm surprised how anyone can look at Bobby's lacklustre form over the past 18 months and think otherwise, and it'd actually be pretty negligent not to buy one in my opinion. It doesn't need to spell the end of Firmino's role in the team or even the false 9, but I'm certain we could improve on him, goals wise almost certainly. I no longer even think Salah and Mane would suffer from it, as even Bobby's general play has dropped massively in that period of time.

Shaq and Divock may very well be done, of course Jota is a great player who I'd tip for another good season, and ideally Jones can showcase more of his creative and goalscoring flair, but without an alternative to Firmino through the middle I can see the same struggles at times for the front 3 next season, and put simply, if they can't go back to that level they were once at prior to last season, we will not win anything, there can't be any doubts over that. All the talk has been about younger wide forwards coming in if we are to buy someone, but really I think we need a centre forward who even when not always at the races, is a proper goal threat.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Dr Stu-Pid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Just a reminder that as things stand we will have 55,000 fans inside Anfield every other week.  That is a bigger bonus for us than any transfer could ever be, and a bigger advantage for us than it is for any of our rivals.  There is a 0% chance that we would have lost 6 home games last season with a full stadium, no matter how many injuries we suffered.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
Can you elaborate on this? I feel like people always say 'he's young so will only get better', yet I feel like that isn't true much of the time.

Maybe it would be more accurate to say that they have younger players who have time on their side to improve?

The gist is simply that our older age profile reduces the likelihood of players improving whereas their younger ones are in a period of the career where growth and improvement is more common.

Looking at the squad lists posted and things don't look bad to me - as others have said, we are fighting teams who can spend much more than us but we have still created a squad that can match them more or less.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We're doomed.

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite
See the Echo are suggesting that all of our sell on clauses are a % of the profit the club make on the sale. So we would do well from Alberto and Kent due to the low fees we sold them for but nothing on the likes of Brewster if they got sold due to their expected drops in value

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
See the Echo are suggesting that all of our sell on clauses are a % of the profit the club make on the sale. So we would do well from Alberto and Kent due to the low fees we sold them for but nothing on the likes of Brewster if they got sold due to their expected drops in value

Would be a bit harsh if, to take an extreme example, Sheffield took a massive loss and sold Brewster for £5m yet still had to pay us 20%.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
Just realised I put a  :wanker instead of a  :wave at the end of my post in the now-deleted previous thread. It was just meant to be a light hearted post, so I hope it wasn’t the reason/catalyst for the thread being deleted.

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
Jota

He's the only one. It doesn't leave much wiggle room.

I also think that Jota will start the Norwich game ahead of Bobby, and Bobby will struggle to get back in the team. If that does happen, then we'll lack game changers of any sort off the bench.

I'm definitely in the camp that would like to see us buy another pacy forward before the window slams shut. I'm not concerned by our midfield options.

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
Just realised I put a  :wanker instead of a  :wave at the end of my post in the now-deleted previous thread. It was just meant to be a light hearted post, so I hope it wasn’t the reason/catalyst for the thread being deleted.

It upset me at the time but glad you've cleared it up  :wanker
If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plow the family into the soil, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who is also your brother.

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite
He's the only one. It doesn't leave much wiggle room.

I also think that Jota will start the Norwich game ahead of Bobby, and Bobby will struggle to get back in the team. If that does happen, then we'll lack game changers of any sort off the bench.

I'm definitely in the camp that would like to see us buy another pacy forward before the window slams shut. I'm not concerned by our midfield options.
Would love another quality midfielder!

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite
Would be a bit harsh if, to take an extreme example, Sheffield took a massive loss and sold Brewster for £5m yet still had to pay us 20%.
Wouldn't put it past Edwards 😁

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan

Nah senor Bobbins - the thread had just descended into, in my view at least, the Monty Python 'Re-enactment of The Battle of Pearl Harbor' sketch. The idea of anyone dominating the discussion I objected to. People are repeatedly making the same points on both sides of the 'Do we have a right to complain?' discussion. Sometimes they do that while adding things like 'You'd have to be an idiot to disagree with my point of view'. It all escalates and next thing you can't actually figure out if there's been any actual transfer news.

All we want is a thread where we get transfer news. Not a load of rehashes of the same old posters' views we've heard a million times before. Mac Red isn't even back from his suspension yet and it's already unreadable.

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Posterior sponsored by Wilkinson Sword. On the Llama Protection Register. Should wash his mouth out with soap and water.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Experience is the name we give our mistakes
Dear Roy,

Please fuck off.

Hugs and kisses,

Henry Kissinger
"What's passive smoking? There's passive lots of things. Like passive listening to shitheads. I have to put up with that every day. Are you going to ban people from talking crap? They give me a headache. Believe me, they're killing me. One day people's conversations on the street will do me in." Terry Hall

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
To answer the question posed in the title..

Do we have a right to complain? I would say "yes, of course", then ask in return - do we have a reason to?

That becomes harder to answer I think. As Fucking Appalled has laid out - our squad is in a really, really strong place. Almost definitely the strongest it's been since the club was formed, maybe 2001 aside. Are there areas we could add additional players so that it was even stronger, again yes for sure, RB cover could be improved probably, our 5th choice attacker could be better suited to the style we play, there's a question mark over whether two of our midfield options (assuming this is where Ox is seen) are able to be fit enough to contribute.

So, after identifying the areas where we think we can easily improve the next step is to either think about the cost, value and ramifications of doing so. A few off the top of my head

- the amount of minutes those additions are likely to get and whether this fits with what the players you've targeted want.
- the value that these players would bring to the squad in comparison to the transfer fee, agent fee and wages - are they going to significantly increase our chances of being successful?
- Whether there is a knock on in terms of not being able to register other members of the squad. Subsequently to this - what that does in terms of the unwanted players market value and also to the morale of the group
- Opportunity cost - if we bring in players that strengthen those positions does that hinder us from pursuing better players in the future - because of the impact to available registration slots, playing minutes or cash to buy them with
- Opportunity cost - if we don't bring players in in these positions will this hinder our chances of achieving our targets and then have a knock on effect of hurting our chances of improving through quality purchases in the future

My frustration with a few posters and some of the discussions is because it seems that their starting position is "I want a new signing" and are happy to use that last point above in order to justify it without even stopping to consider for a moment if a) they're right or b) any of the other impacts of getting new players in.

I've seen a few people referencing Paisley and saying "If you don't strengthen you stand still" but I'd question whether the world in which Paisley worked and where we work today is even remotely the same? I saw that we revamped our youth system in 1998 - "to enhance it from the previous informal system" but I have no idea what sort of numbers of youth players the club had on its books back in those days. Did Paisley have a full squad of u23s and u18s that he could see the future being developed in? Did he have a 1st team squad of around 27/28 players - some of which have barely featured or are being developed in house and through the loan system in order to strengthen us in the future?

One of my other gripes is with a number of posts that have, at best, implied we've not really spent or strengthened under FSG and in particular 'recently'. This is patently, clearly and factually bullshit. Every season up until now we've bought at least 3 players across the summer and winter transfer windows. https://www.transfermarkt.us/fc-liverpool/alletransfers/verein/31 People will immediately jump on the 19/20 season for this and it's the only one where there's even a debate. That season we added Harvey Elliott, Sepp Van Den Berg and Takumi Minamino. So that season aside, where we have to ignore the fact that Elliott was seen by most clubs in the world as a huge talent and is possibly ready to contribute to the first team squad this season, we've spent and improved the squad in every window with at least 3 first team players up until this window. This window we immediately addressed the key weakness in the squad - Centrehalf - with a young monster of a human with huge potential. So what exactly is the beef here? Is that they haven't signed the players that *you* wanted? That they haven't spent money to the same level as other clubs? If it's the latter - WHY do you care what we spend? Surely it's about what we end up with? And at that point I refer you back to Fucking Appalled's first 18 lists (whilst asking you to consider which players on our books don't appear there)

So back to my question - do we have a reason to complain?

I don't really see one. I think our starting 11 is as strong as anything else that can be fielded in Europe. I think our CB and CM cover is, talent wise, as good as you could realistically hope for. We've got decent cover in the left fullback position and players who can do a job at RB if needed. In attack we've got the obvious front three who have a real competitor for their spots in Jota. Beyond that we have versatile players who can bring respite through rotation in Shaq & Ox, and we have further numbers in Origi and Minamino - Origi arguable fits into the previous category as well.

I would like us to move Origi, Shaq & maybe Minamino on and bring in a 5th forward either around or above the level and potential of Jota but ideally more suited to competing directly with Firmino. This forum (and footy manager) tells me that Martinez at Inter would be pretty ideal, but I'm not too aware of players playing outside of England. That seems to take into account all of the considerations I could think of earlier in the post with the exception of whether the new signing would be happy with that role and level of competition.

If we do, I think it would probably marginally increase our chances of winning the league/CL and more than marginally improve our chances in the domestic cups. I don't think there's any realistic business, or potentially ANY business, we could do that would make us certain to win either of the big ones. The competition is too rich & strong and the variables too many.

If we don't do any more than Konate, I think we'd be 2nd favourites for the league and amongst the top 3/4 favourites for the CL. I think we'd naturally strengthen and improve from last season by

- Curtis Jones being a year older, stronger, more adapted, more settled, more skilled, more aware.
- Harvey Elliott being part of the squad
- Van Dijk, Gomez, Matip, Keita and Ox being fit
- All the above 5 and the rest of the squad having a proper pre-season with Klopp (Something that even pre-covid they didn't necessarily get due to commercial constraints)
- The season being less congested
- Fans being back in the ground. Anfield isn't up for debate I don't think, but I think this team thrives off our away end and killing home ground atmospheres.
- The motivation and hunger from a season where I feel that they feel they were on track to win the title and were robbed by two thuggish morons in Everton shirts and a run of awful luck.

At some point this squad, and key players, need to be refreshed/replaced. I don't see why that is this year.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2021, 02:15:11 pm by wige »

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
At least we're not Everton :)

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
Most posters seem to be looking at our squad and viewing it as fully fit and at the peak of its powers - which seems one eyed to me when assessing it.

There are some significant questions ....
The first choice midfield of 'Thiago/Fabinho/Henderson' is elite but also made up of players that don't play full seasons. Last year they were fit for about 6 weeks of the PL at the same time - you'd hope we don't have to deal with anything that bad but it also seems unreasonable to think they won't miss game time, there'll clearly be a need to rotate and then there are questions marks over the back ups
At the back we have one attacking right back and a system built on an attacking right back so this hasn't been resolved (or even discussed anymore!) ... there's also the big question of is VVD the same player, if he is we have an elite defence if not there's a bigger question
Up front Firmino and Mane need to show they're still 'in peak' after down years last season and the other question is whether 4 attackers for 3 spots is enough to have enough consistent fire power for a full league season

We do have a strong squad with a ton of talent (as we proved last season its almost impossible for us to finish outside the top 4) and any squad will have weaknesses - the question is how often our best players are getting on the pitch and in a few cases are they still as good as they were
To me we pretty clearly need to strengthen to not be as significant underdogs to win the league this season as we currently are and not doing so compounds the weaknesses we have in the medium term
« Last Edit: August 5, 2021, 02:29:23 pm by JackWard33 »