Author Topic: Things you find..weird  (Read 63597 times)

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Things you find..weird
« Reply #240 on: August 18, 2022, 03:10:54 pm »
Here's one I recently come across: In the UK, distance signs on roads are in miles. But distance sings on footpaths/walking are in km. ???
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #241 on: August 18, 2022, 03:12:55 pm »
I find it weird that Edinburgh, on the east coast of Scotland, is actually situated further west than Liverpool.

There is lots of weird things like this when you actually look at maps and country sizes. The world is nothing like a normal flat map would have you believe.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #242 on: August 18, 2022, 03:20:06 pm »
There is lots of weird things like this when you actually look at maps and country sizes. The world is nothing like a normal flat map would have you believe.

One I've always thought a bit wierd is if you are travelling from the Caribbean to the Pacific on the Panama canal you have to go in a south easterly direction.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #243 on: August 18, 2022, 03:39:20 pm »
I moved to Plymouth over twenty years ago and I always find it weird that although most of the blokes I work with support Argyle they all have a Prem team , how can you support two teams , weirdo’s  :duh :duh :duh

I get that to be fair - especially as the odds are that the team's paths won't cross.

There is a huge difference between being a fan(atic) of Argyle and supporting/following a Prem team - with how much of office/workplace chat is around football too you can be almost left out if you aren't up to date on the prem so eventually you will just have one that you prefer.

Pep era Barce and Klopp era Dortmund were a bit like that for me - Liverpool would always be my team but those two teams were so iconic that I couldn't help but appreciate them and want to keep on top of what they were doing in their own leagues.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #244 on: August 18, 2022, 03:48:50 pm »
Here's one I recently come across: In the UK, distance signs on roads are in miles. But distance sings on footpaths/walking are in km. ???
Really? Do you have a definite source for that?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: August 18, 2022, 05:24:24 pm »
Really? Do you have a definite source for that?

I don't know if its all of them, but I was recently in the Peak, and noticed the walking signpost was in km.

...just had a quick google, and apparently its down to the local authority. That is even more weird.

Here's an article from the UK metric society (didn't know that exists): https://ukma.org.uk/road-signage/metric-road-signs/
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 05:32:46 pm by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: August 18, 2022, 05:55:40 pm »
I live in Yorkshire and I always find it weird when I see planes from LHR enroute to USA flying directly over my house. You'd think they would go West but the Earth curvature is strange

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: August 18, 2022, 05:59:39 pm »
I live in Yorkshire and I always find it weird when I see planes from LHR enroute to USA flying directly over my house. You'd think they would go West but the Earth curvature is strange

how on earth do you know where they going/coming from?

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: August 18, 2022, 06:02:07 pm »
how on earth do you know where they going/coming from?
Flightradar24

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #249 on: August 18, 2022, 08:27:04 pm »
The best app on the internet.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #250 on: August 18, 2022, 08:33:21 pm »
I don't know if its all of them, but I was recently in the Peak, and noticed the walking signpost was in km.

...just had a quick google, and apparently its down to the local authority. That is even more weird.

Here's an article from the UK metric society (didn't know that exists): https://ukma.org.uk/road-signage/metric-road-signs/
Thanks. A very measured article ;)

I'm comfortable with both miles and kilometers but never really stopped to think about where they are variously used
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: August 18, 2022, 08:50:41 pm »
Hence why the tragic Pan Am 103 flight from London to NY was downed over Lockerbie.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #252 on: August 18, 2022, 10:22:27 pm »
Hence why the tragic Pan Am 103 flight from London to NY was downed over Lockerbie.

I was going to post that.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: August 18, 2022, 10:25:16 pm »
Thanks. A very measured article ;)

I'm comfortable with both miles and kilometers but never really stopped to think about where they are variously used

Yep, there's a ton of examples if metric signs I didn't think of before.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: August 18, 2022, 11:03:29 pm »
iguys who wear necklaces.  any kind of necklaces.

I just don't get it -- 99.999999% of them (imo) look like idiots with them.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #255 on: August 19, 2022, 02:44:49 pm »
Women who are single on dating apps, over 45 and looking to have babies.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #256 on: August 19, 2022, 03:10:16 pm »
Women who are single on dating apps, over 45 and looking to have babies.
Come on bro, don't judge. You don't know what their life stories and struggles might be

Never used a dating app, mind.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #257 on: August 19, 2022, 03:54:55 pm »
Come on bro, don't judge. You don't know what their life stories and struggles might be

Never used a dating app, mind.

True. I just find it weird. I usually talk to them anyway, if they are interested.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #258 on: August 19, 2022, 03:58:08 pm »

People who feel the need to put their countries flag up in their garden. Do they forget where they live sometimes?
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #259 on: August 19, 2022, 03:58:46 pm »
Star signs. Never understood how they became so popular and why people believe the shite related to them. It's a load of rubbish in my opinion.

But I suppose that's just typical of a virgo like me.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #260 on: August 19, 2022, 04:23:57 pm »
Star signs. Never understood how they became so popular and why people believe the shite related to them. It's a load of rubbish in my opinion.

What an apt star sign you have.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #261 on: August 19, 2022, 06:04:38 pm »

Yes, because human vanity seems to think that the stars and planets are only in the positions they are in in order to predict the futures of some primitive life on a spec of cosmic dust we call Earth.  ::)

I just don't really care if the Moon is in Uranus tonight.

As a Scorpio, I'm rather sceptical.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: August 20, 2022, 10:39:54 am »
Men who don't eat!  What's all that about 🤷

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #263 on: August 20, 2022, 11:16:38 am »
I find it bizarre the reasonable amount of people who just aren’t all that arsed about food in general. To some it is only eaten because they have to.

One of my ex’s wasn’t quite like that but she didn’t like virtually any food, only got joy from McDonald’s and Dominos, that kind of junk food. I found it weird and she just generally wasn’t that fussed about food. It’s one of the great pleasures of life in my opinion.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: August 20, 2022, 01:33:44 pm »
I find it bizarre the reasonable amount of people who just aren’t all that arsed about food in general. To some it is only eaten because they have to.

One of my ex’s wasn’t quite like that but she didn’t like virtually any food, only got joy from McDonald’s and Dominos, that kind of junk food. I found it weird and she just generally wasn’t that fussed about food. It’s one of the great pleasures of life in my opinion.

We've got one of Paul's mates staying for the weekend and he's skin and bone haggered looking as he just doesn't eat. 

I'd cooked bacon and sausages on a bap for breakfast and he only ate half of it.  Even when we used to go to Silverstone for the Grand Prix he'd barely eat or drink.

He's done heavy, manual type jobs all his life and I've no idea how he has the energy to do anything.

As a family we've always been big foodies, it's a social thing for us so I do find it weird when others don't join in 🤷

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: August 20, 2022, 01:38:58 pm »

my wife really couldn't care less about eating. many days I have to remind her that it's mealtime and get an "oh, yeah I forgot" reply. food holds very little interest and it's purely eat to live not live to eat.

her mother was the same.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: August 20, 2022, 01:43:28 pm »
We've got one of Paul's mates staying for the weekend and he's skin and bone haggered looking as he just doesn't eat. 

I'd cooked bacon and sausages on a bap for breakfast and he only ate half of it.  Even when we used to go to Silverstone for the Grand Prix he'd barely eat or drink.

He's done heavy, manual type jobs all his life and I've no idea how he has the energy to do anything.

As a family we've always been big foodies, it's a social thing for us so I do find it weird when others don't join in 🤷

I'm cursed in that I'm really into food but I just don't have a big appetite. When eating out I always want to get a starter, main, sides etc but I just don't anymore because I know I won't finish it.

I empathise with the guy staying with you - I hate eating breakfast after getting up - at home I usually wait a couple of hours after getting up before eating. It's always really awkward staying with someone else because they go to all this effort to make a cooked breakfast and it really is a struggle to eat it, and it's impossible to just say no.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: August 20, 2022, 01:45:30 pm »
player loans ....

one is loaning the guy, the other club is borrowing him. 

but people say "the club loaned [name]" to describe BOTH clubs involved.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: August 20, 2022, 02:00:39 pm »
I'm cursed in that I'm really into food but I just don't have a big appetite. When eating out I always want to get a starter, main, sides etc but I just don't anymore because I know I won't finish it.

I empathise with the guy staying with you - I hate eating breakfast after getting up - at home I usually wait a couple of hours after getting up before eating. It's always really awkward staying with someone else because they go to all this effort to make a cooked breakfast and it really is a struggle to eat it, and it's impossible to just say no.

I get that mate and I'm used to him being like it as I've known him for long enough and I did ask him if he wanted something.

I'm not a big eater, I'll have a starter and a pud rather than a main or just a main if we eat out.

My other weird thing of the day is how stupid so many people are when it comes to their own and a there's safety.

There's been an unusually high spate of near misses and RNLI rescues on the island.  Mainly kids on paddle boards or kayaks without bouyancy aids or lifejackets being taken out to sea on tides or strong winds.

There's been warnings all summer about the dangers on social media and on the beaches themselves but they're ignored.

Only yesterday a 4yr old on an inflatable and oblivious parents who were on the beach was rescued and when the coastguard tried to explain the dangers to the parents was told he'd have been ok and they shouldn't have stopped him having fun 😯

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #269 on: August 20, 2022, 02:53:33 pm »

When my missus goes on holiday with her mates, I quite often don't eat for 2 or 3 days.

Can't usually be arsed. Might plump for a big curry then tho
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: August 20, 2022, 03:01:27 pm »
That standing on the beach, the horizon on the sea is only about 3 miles away.

I thought I saw Denmark once on a clear day looking out from Whitley Bay. Apparently not.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #271 on: August 20, 2022, 03:20:08 pm »

I thought I saw Denmark once on a clear day looking out from Whitley Bay. Apparently not.

You can see way, way, way further if the conditions are right.

Refraction of some sort (Alan X put an explanation in the Gullsuckers thread recently)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: August 20, 2022, 03:21:29 pm »
You can see way, way, way further if the conditions are right.

Refraction of some sort (Alan X put an explanation in the Gullsuckers thread recently)

Right. Thanks.

Perhaps it was Denmark !

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #273 on: August 20, 2022, 03:26:39 pm »

Haha..I eat because I have to, but I find the whole process a pain in the arse. Luckily on County Road, there is a Maccies a KFC and lots of burger /Pizza food outlets to choose from. I never use an oven, so if I fancy something different, I just buy a ready made meal for a quid from Iceland and chuck it into the microwave for 5 minutes.

My way, means very little shopping, no preparing or cooking food and hardly any washing up (other than my brekky plates after my weetabix and toast)

My Thai girlfriend is the opposite, she loves her food and is forever cooking. This means me getting dragged to Chung Wah in Town or down by Evertons new ground to Thai Pan to buy ton weights of sticky rice etc.

The flat constantly smells of hot chillies and other spicy stuff which actually takes my breath away, also she's leaves my spotless kitchen in a mess, and won't wash the dishes for hours, knowing I'll do them first to preserve my pristine kitchen!

However, she is nearly 20 years my junior....so I put up with it!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 03:36:09 pm by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: August 20, 2022, 04:06:40 pm »
Haha..I eat because I have to, but I find the whole process a pain in the arse. Luckily on County Road, there is a Maccies a KFC and lots of burger /Pizza food outlets to choose from. I never use an oven, so if I fancy something different, I just buy a ready made meal for a quid from Iceland and chuck it into the microwave for 5 minutes.

My way, means very little shopping, no preparing or cooking food and hardly any washing up (other than my brekky plates after my weetabix and toast)

My Thai girlfriend is the opposite, she loves her food and is forever cooking. This means me getting dragged to Chung Wah in Town or down by Evertons new ground to Thai Pan to buy ton weights of sticky rice etc.

The flat constantly smells of hot chillies and other spicy stuff which actually takes my breath away, also she's leaves my spotless kitchen in a mess, and won't wash the dishes for hours, knowing I'll do them first to preserve my pristine kitchen!

Isn't that more to with the planning, shopping, prepping and cooking rather than eating though?

Fair play to your missus too but I agree, the chef never cleans down although I've no idea why her age should be mentioned 🤷

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #275 on: August 20, 2022, 04:10:25 pm »
Isn't that more to with the planning, shopping, prepping and cooking rather than eating though?

Fair play to your missus too but I agree, the chef never cleans down although I've no idea why her age should be mentioned 🤷

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: August 21, 2022, 12:08:59 am »

No offence intended, but it also sounds like your way means that you have a pretty awful diet! You should try your best to clean that shit up.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: August 21, 2022, 01:55:27 am »

From about 15 feet away from my front door, I can see Scotland if the conditions are right. Not sure on the distance but I guess about 50 miles or so.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #278 on: August 21, 2022, 02:47:36 am »
From about 15 feet away from my front door, I can see Scotland if the conditions are right. Not sure on the distance but I guess about 50 miles or so.

I can see Scotland out of every window here. Can't get away from it:

Basically what Fife is like 24/7.

She sounds like a lucky lady!
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #279 on: August 21, 2022, 04:58:32 am »

Haha...good one, anything to see a Partrige clip, even if it is at my expense!

Regarding my poor diet I have tried to improve it and cut down on the crap but end up just going back to my old ways. I worked permanent nights for 25 years and I think it stemmed from that, I ate junk food in the night, slept all day and never got iinto the routine of eating a balanced diet.

I have tried eating more greens on doctors orders lately though, I was due a total knee replacement op earlier this year, but it was delayed due to a lack of folic acid in my system. So I have made the effort to eat more green veg etc to get the levels of folic acid up.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 05:13:48 am by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)