Author Topic: THE NON-LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD  (Read 1730700 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: THE NON-LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD
« Reply #14360 on: November 30, 2022, 10:42:13 am »
Bizarrely going to agree with Dave here. I dont think you can really class Joelinton as a success when he was signed as a striker and was so poor, so wasteful that he's ended up dropping into midfield and doing fairly well for half a season. If Darwin Nunez ends up as an adequate defensive midfielder and we have to then go and spend another shitload on a striker again because the one we signed hasn't worked as a striker (as Newcastle have had to do with Isak) then I dont think anyone will be painting Darwin as a good signing.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14361 on: November 30, 2022, 11:41:05 am »
I hate Joelinton and his short shorts. He is shite aswell.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #14362 on: November 30, 2022, 05:54:23 pm »
Can't agree with that Lobo, if you sign a player and he ends up being good in any position then he's a success.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #14363 on: November 30, 2022, 06:15:53 pm »
Can't agree with that Lobo, if you sign a player and he ends up being good in any position then he's a success.

And I guess regardless, he didn’t turn out to be the shit footballer many thought he was! It’s this thing about trying to prove a league is shit because of how signings do in other leagues. Yet somone like him didn’t light up the league he came from either. He just took a lot of time to get going, and yep, in a different role, he isn’t the first or the last player who’ll end up turning their careers around with a switch of position. And of course what was a hefty price tag at the time, put the spotlight on far more.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #14364 on: November 30, 2022, 09:35:37 pm »
Dave, I didn't quite make it clear, I do agree with you, it's a league that is attack focused so allows attackers especially the space to flourish and pad stats etc that they might not necessarily get in other leagues. I was confident for example that Sancho wouldn't reach anywhere near the numbers he got at Dortmund, but didn't think he would bomb this badly.

My point was in addition to that, clubs in this league have too much money and not enough brains when signing players in general, and are signing players having a good season or 6 months and playing  them in different positions and formations than they are used to and expecting the same results.

Joelinton and Haller both played in a 2 and they were put up front on their own, Werner often played in a 2 at Leipzig, Havertz is more a number 10 in an era where we don't really play with 1, Pulisic was always talented but suffered with injuries, Utd signed Sancho to play right wing when I always found him better coming in off the left, then they proceeded to play him with a lamp post up front.

Even looking at my own club, we signed a wing back in Kolasinac who couldn't defend and played him in a back 4, it's took us years to get the best out of Xhaka eventually realising leaving him exposed as the deeper midfielder isn't a good idea, Sokratis was always just an ok defender. Auba was a success for the first 2 and a half years so can't argue with that.

I'm just saying it can't be all the clubs. If they were all run the exact same way you'd have a point but even if we concede they are run poorly they are run poorly in completely different ways. So to say it blanketly explains everything is just ridiculous. I get that some want to defend the Bundesliga and that's fine but they are blinded to the fact that I'm not really attacking it per se more than just saying their players are over valued. If Havertz or Sancho had cost half then it's a totally different discussion.

So if you bought a striker for £40m instead of a midfielder for £20m and the £40m striker ends up being a decent midfielder but worse than the one you could have bought for £20m then it's a success? That's bonkers and no "real" club could actually afford to live that way.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14365 on: November 30, 2022, 09:37:57 pm »
When did that happen?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #14366 on: November 30, 2022, 09:54:24 pm »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #14367 on: December 1, 2022, 10:15:04 am »

If you spend £40 million on a striker and he’s so bad as a striker that you convert him into a half decent midfielder, it’s not a success. He’s just the modern day Brazilian Alan Smith.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14368 on: December 1, 2022, 10:20:33 am »
And I guess regardless, he didn’t turn out to be the shit footballer many thought he was! It’s this thing about trying to prove a league is shit because of how signings do in other leagues. Yet somone like him didn’t light up the league he came from either. He just took a lot of time to get going, and yep, in a different role, he isn’t the first or the last player who’ll end up turning their careers around with a switch of position. And of course what was a hefty price tag at the time, put the spotlight on far more.

He isn't exactly pulling up trees in midfield though is he? I watched him live against us this season and he is just average/shite.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14369 on: December 1, 2022, 11:04:48 am »
If you spend £40 million on a striker and he’s so bad as a striker that you convert him into a half decent midfielder, it’s not a success. He’s just the modern day Brazilian Alan Smith.

To be fair to him whilst Newcastle may well have spent £40 million on what they thought was a striker I'm not sure he actually was one. Happy to be corrected on this one but if I recall correctly he was in reality a bit of an 'in between' sort of player rather than an out and out striker  Which makes Newcastle look pretty stupid and does absolve Joelinton somewhat.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14370 on: December 1, 2022, 12:19:05 pm »

But what if he was destined to be a midfielder all along and it was the others who had got it wrong. When a signing plays well for you and contributes to the success of the team then I don't care if he was initially signed as a goalkeeper, it's still a good signing  ;D

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #14371 on: December 1, 2022, 12:55:10 pm »
That 40m fee was agreed between a chairman who wanted to show spending and a chairman who wanted to show earnings, wasn't it?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14372 on: December 1, 2022, 12:55:19 pm »
Real question - in FIFA 23 is he listed as a Mid or Striker now? I'm waiting for my son's copy to arrive today.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #14373 on: December 4, 2022, 12:57:24 pm »
Another signing for Forest. Gustavo Scarpa from Palmeiras, an attacking mid who's won a couple of Brazilian Championships and Copa Libertadores titles with them in the past few years. Quite an impressive signing actually.

Seems like an interesting character judging by his wikipedia page ...

Scarpa is well-known for his hobbies, including skateboarding, rock music, Rubik's cubes, wakeboarding and reading novels, all of which have received extensive attention thanks to his posts on social media and goal celebrations. Among his favourite pre-game songs are Dire Straits's "Sultans of Swing" and Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Free Bird," and his favourite books include Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis and Fyodor Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov. In 2018, Palmeiras posted a video on social media of Scarpa playing the club's anthem on electric guitar to celebrate World Rock Day. In 2022, after Scarpa's love of Rubik's cubes went viral on social media, Palmeiras began to sell personalised Rubik's cubes in their club shop in his honour.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
  • Superduperfan & Whopper. Ooh sexist.
« Reply #14374 on: December 4, 2022, 01:35:49 pm »
Another signing for Forest. Gustavo Scarpa from Palmeiras, an attacking mid who's won a couple of Brazilian Championships and Copa Libertadores titles with them in the past few years. Quite an impressive signing actually.

Scarpa is well-known for his hobbies, including skateboarding, rock music, Rubik's cubes, wakeboarding and reading novels, all of which have received extensive attention thanks to his posts on social media and goal celebrations. Among his favourite pre-game songs are Dire Straits's "Sultans of Swing" and Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Free Bird," and his favourite books include Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis and Fyodor Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov. In 2018, Palmeiras posted a video on social media of Scarpa playing the club's anthem on electric guitar to celebrate World Rock Day. In 2022, after Scarpa's love of Rubik's cubes went viral on social media, Palmeiras began to sell personalised Rubik's cubes in their club shop in his honour.

If he plays the album version, the pre-game talk is going to have to be short :)
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Offline Skagger

• Main Stander
« Reply #14375 on: December 4, 2022, 01:52:36 pm »
But he doesn't play as a striker anymore, he plays as a midfielder. He was never an out and out striker to begin with.

I see you've learned a new word for the day, brilliant, he's much better than acceptable or adequate though. I said it's the going rate these days as in if they were to go out and buy a midfielder comparable to Joelinton in January he'd cost at least 40 million.

I'd always thought it was a made up word on The Simpsons, the things you learn on RAWK eh?
Henderson has been very good in patches and if he had the confidence of Shelvey he would be some player.
Shame how it ended, hell of a ride though.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14376 on: December 5, 2022, 09:29:39 am »
Sounds like Wolves will be getting Matheus Cunha in January.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14377 on: December 5, 2022, 10:59:28 am »

About his level really, or at least Wolves working correctly is. Too good for Hertha, not good enough for teams playing in European competition. Still quite young so could maybe kick on from there

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14378 on: December 5, 2022, 05:37:39 pm »

He should do well for them. Not dirty enough for Simeone's team ...

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #14379 on: December 5, 2022, 10:25:50 pm »

Wasn’t that one of the Owl’s favourite bedtime books?

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14380 on: December 6, 2022, 01:52:39 am »
He is well read and speaks several languages.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14381 on: December 6, 2022, 08:18:12 am »
He is well read and speaks several languages.

He’s a broadsheet manager in a tabloid world.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14382 on: December 6, 2022, 05:19:47 pm »
He’s a broadsheet manager in a tabloid world.
I present to you one of the all time greatest puff pieces in the history of football journalism (it has not aged well).

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2010/jul/01/roy-hodgson-liverpool

Offline Americano12345

• Main Stander
« Reply #14383 on: December 6, 2022, 09:47:17 pm »
Villa's being linked to João Félix now  ;D

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #14384 on: December 7, 2022, 11:37:17 am »
Villa's being linked to João Félix now  ;D

Are they selling the Stadium or rights to Stan Collymore's map of places to visit in Birmingham by car.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #14385 on: December 7, 2022, 08:10:01 pm »
Are they selling the Stadium or rights to Stan Collymore's map of places car parks and lay-bys to visit in Birmingham by car.

Edited for historical accuracy.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14386 on: December 12, 2022, 07:49:50 am »
Arsenal priority for January window is Mykhaylo Mudryk. No agreements but conversations happening & 21yo Shakhtar Donetsk winger keen. Sources say deal can be done for lower than €100m public valuation - Ornstein

When did Arsenal turn into a serious club.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14387 on: December 12, 2022, 08:45:04 am »
Ornstein also says Chelsea exploring signing Youssoufa Moukoko - isn't done yet but he says other PL clubs think Moukoko to Stamford Bridge is advanced.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14388 on: December 12, 2022, 08:46:10 am »
Ornstein also says Chelsea exploring signing Youssoufa Moukoko - isn't done yet but he says other PL clubs think Moukoko to Stamford Bridge is advanced.

Would be such a huge waste

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14389 on: December 12, 2022, 08:47:59 am »

Its a story as old as time- good young player goes to Chelsea, gets wasted by a succession of managers and finishes on loan at Vitesse/ AC Milan

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14390 on: December 12, 2022, 09:25:48 am »
Not what Chelsea need nor the player.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14391 on: December 12, 2022, 09:37:49 am »
I present to you one of the all time greatest puff pieces in the history of football journalism (it has not aged well).

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2010/jul/01/roy-hodgson-liverpool

On so many levels it was a terrible article, but what jumps out is the criticism of Rafa's mechanical football, likening it to chess. But then goes on about Hodgsons repetitive work on patterns of play.

Hodgson was dreadful for us and a disaster for England, but Neville has got off scot free for his time with England. Knowing what we do about him and also how passive Hodgson was, it's fair to speculate that he held a fair bit of sway. Perhaps he learned about Tefloning from Hodgson.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14392 on: December 12, 2022, 10:44:49 am »
Arsenal are developing a great squad.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14393 on: December 12, 2022, 11:06:56 am »
Maddest potential deal this January - reputable reports saying Jorge Mendes is trying to get Joao Felix to Villa.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14394 on: December 12, 2022, 11:08:22 am »
Maddest potential deal this January - reputable reports saying Jorge Mendes is trying to get Joao Felix to Villa.

His injury record isn't great but I would have loved for him to sign for us, could have been a great false 9 for us.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #14395 on: December 12, 2022, 11:10:09 am »
Haha no chance he goes to Villa.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14396 on: December 12, 2022, 11:42:32 am »
Arsenal reportedly getting N'Dicka on a free transfer in summer too, good move.

Not sure on Mudryk though - hefty fee, looks tidy but not sure there are serious numbers goals wise in him.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14397 on: December 12, 2022, 12:00:20 pm »
Arsenal reportedly getting N'Dicka on a free transfer in summer too, good move.

Not sure on Mudryk though - hefty fee, looks tidy but not sure there are serious numbers goals wise in him.

N’Dicka ;D

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #14398 on: December 12, 2022, 12:21:02 pm »
Bit of chatter that Bensebaini will swap Borussias in the summer on a Bosman. Eberl doubling down and not cashing in on players before they hit 24 months to go is starting to take effect.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14399 on: December 12, 2022, 06:43:40 pm »

Why would he go there right now?
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."