Poll

Obviously the Brexit effects are only just showing and it's going to get a lot, lot worse.. but for now..

.. Brexit is going great. Sunlit fucking plateaus full of fucking wonder
.. Brexit is just taking time, it'll be reet
Moo!
.. Brexit is pretty bad, but maybe will get better
.. Brexit is terrible
.. Rees Mogg and all the Brexiters should be hung off a lamp-post.
.. Rees Mogg and all the Brexiters should be hung off a lamp-post AND I like cheese

Author Topic: Brexit. the Con continues  (Read 533613 times)

Online Mahern

• Kopite
Re: Brexit. the Con continues
« Reply #7040 on: September 20, 2022, 11:49:01 am »
Decimalisation refers to both currency and weights.

Pennies don't

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7041 on: September 20, 2022, 12:13:27 pm »
Pennies don't
Huh? Twelve pennies to the shilling, and twenty shillings to the pound = 240 pennies to the pound.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7042 on: September 20, 2022, 12:13:28 pm »
Decimalisation refers to both currency and weights.

I was highlighting the return to '240 pennies in a pound' part of the suggestion that the UK was considering.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7043 on: September 20, 2022, 12:20:04 pm »
I was highlighting the return to '240 pennies in a pound' part of the suggestion that the UK was considering.
All I was suggesting is that decimalisation refers to both currency and weights. So, if considering reverting to ounces and pounds, or pennies, shillings and pounds, they both are Imperial non-decimal. You cannot have ounces/pounds or pennies/shillings/pounds without a (partial) reversal of decimalisation. I guess I don't understand your point.
Why on earth would any right-minded, logical thinking, intelligent person consider going back to 240 pennies in a pound, 16 ounces in a pound and all the rest of the illogical Imperial weights and measures when we can all count in multiples of TEN?? It's  no-brainer!!
Don't think there has ever been the suggestion that they would reverse decimalisation.
Edit: clarification.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 12:59:31 pm by Jiminy Cricket »
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7044 on: September 20, 2022, 12:43:12 pm »
All I was suggesting is that decimalisation refers to both currency and weights. So, if considering reverting to ounces and pounds, or pennies, shillings and pounds, they both are Imperial. You cannot have ounces/pounds or pennies/shillings/pounds without a (partial) reversal of decimalisation. I guess I don't understand your point.Don't think there has ever been the suggestion that they would reverse decimalisation.

I'm pretty sure currency isn't imperial.

My point is that all the talk is about reverting back to imperial measures from the metric system.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7045 on: September 20, 2022, 12:58:24 pm »

My point is that all the talk is about reverting back to imperial measures from the metric system.
Oh, right you are about my use of 'Imperial' - and my misnomer - with regard to currency. I meant that they both are non-decimal. The change of both weights & measures, and currency, are both part of decimalisation (base 10 counting), that's all.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 01:00:05 pm by Jiminy Cricket »

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7046 on: September 20, 2022, 01:03:51 pm »

Yes - I think that's correct. Or, at least, that's what Rees-Mogg has been talking about of late. There are some, however - largely, the same people who back reverting to ounces and pounds - who would love to go back to pounds, shillings and pence. Of course, it all complete and utter nonsense.

Online Mahern

• Kopite
« Reply #7047 on: September 20, 2022, 01:10:03 pm »
Huh? Twelve pennies to the shilling, and twenty shillings to the pound = 240 pennies to the pound.

Pennies don't relate to weight

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #7048 on: September 20, 2022, 01:10:53 pm »
Fucking ridiculous. Shall we just move all our freight by canal too?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7049 on: September 20, 2022, 01:16:50 pm »
Pennies don't relate to weight
Of course not.* I was responding to this:
Why on earth would any right-minded, logical thinking, intelligent person consider going back to 240 pennies in a pound, 16 ounces in a pound and all the rest of the illogical Imperial weights and measures when we can all count in multiples of TEN?? It's  no-brainer!!
Don't think there has ever been the suggestion that they would reverse decimalisation.
The use of 100 pennies to the pound is part of decimalisation, that's all. Decimalisation refers to both weights (& measures) and currency.

* Actually, penny can relate to weight too - but of course we are talking about that. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennyweight

But I think we are mostly talking at cross-purposes. And I'm sure it is not important or of interest to most here anyway.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 01:19:22 pm by Jiminy Cricket »

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7050 on: September 20, 2022, 01:19:03 pm »
Shall we just move all our freight by canal too?

For none perishables this is actually a good idea.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Online Mahern

• Kopite
« Reply #7051 on: September 20, 2022, 02:49:12 pm »
Of course not.* I was responding to this:Don't think there has ever been the suggestion that they would reverse decimalisation.

The use of 100 pennies to the pound is part of decimalisation, that's all. Decimalisation refers to both weights (& measures) and currency.

* Actually, penny can relate to weight too - but of course we are talking about that. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennyweight

But I think we are mostly talking at cross-purposes. And I'm sure it is not important or of interest to most here anyway.

Fair enough out-pedanted 🤣

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7053 on: September 20, 2022, 03:55:36 pm »
Post Brexit trade deal with US is ‘years away’ admits the flip flop Truss.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/liz-truss-admits-uk-trade-deal-with-us-years-away-despite-brexit-promises/ar-AA121vB6

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/1ba02602-38b3-11ed-84dd-c16384999350?shareToken=269a023aa277a7b0c0e0fdb3c6b147c2
"Years away" as in any negotiations won't even start whilst Biden is in the White House and the ERG run the Tory party.  The Tories are still tied in knots with Brexit and its impact on the Good Friday Agreement and the Biden administration have been very clear on how they see that.

Had Trump held onto power then I think by now we'd be despairing over the exploitative trade deal we'd signed up for.  We should be grateful for small mercies.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7054 on: September 20, 2022, 04:07:42 pm »
"Years away" as in any negotiations won't even start whilst Biden is in the White House and the ERG run the Tory party.  The Tories are still tied in knots with Brexit and its impact on the Good Friday Agreement and the Biden administration have been very clear on how they see that.

Had Trump held onto power then I think by now we'd be despairing over the exploitative trade deal we'd signed up for.  We should be grateful for small mercies.

Yep Johnson’s mob were banking on Trump in 2020 and hoping for him or similar in 2024 alongside obviously the Tories winning here in 24.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7055 on: September 20, 2022, 10:47:40 pm »
Fair enough out-pedanted 🤣
Yeah, I deserved that. :)

Oops. Typo. I meant to write:

"Actually, penny can relate to weight too - but of course we are not talking about that."

You should have pulled me up on it, then you would have won the pedantry showdown. ;D

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7057 on: September 26, 2022, 06:49:57 am »
At least when the UK rejoins the EU there won't be any reservations about adopting the Euro  :P

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #7058 on: September 26, 2022, 06:51:00 am »
At least when the UK rejoins the EU there won't be any reservations about adopting the Euro  :P

Should be at parity by then, so easy conversions.

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=EUR&to=GBP&view=1W

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7059 on: September 26, 2022, 04:17:24 pm »
Is there much talk in the UK (yet) about Brexit (and all the other insane economic decisions which go along with it) being the cause of the UK's economic crisis?

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #7060 on: September 26, 2022, 04:50:32 pm »
Is there much talk in the UK (yet) about Brexit (and all the other insane economic decisions which go along with it) being the cause of the UK's economic crisis?

Is there shite.

The BBC runs screaming from the notion, whilst the majority of the print media are owned by tax-dodging, right-wing arseholes who hate EU regulation
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7061 on: September 26, 2022, 04:59:22 pm »
Is there shite.

The BBC runs screaming from the notion, whilst the majority of the print media are owned by tax-dodging, right-wing arseholes who hate EU regulation
What the fuck will it take for people and media to get a clue? :(

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7062 on: September 26, 2022, 05:18:18 pm »
The Economist's analysis on Sterling's troubles: it's not just about Kwarteng's budget - it's about Brexit. BoA's "Britain as an emerging market" theme is going mainstream ...

https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/1574405596018839552?s=48&t=p8qMRViMWQQZeBx4XAlldQ

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7063 on: September 26, 2022, 06:40:45 pm »
The Economist's analysis on Sterling's troubles: it's not just about Kwarteng's budget - it's about Brexit. BoA's "Britain as an emerging market" theme is going mainstream ...

https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/1574405596018839552?s=48&t=p8qMRViMWQQZeBx4XAlldQ
Thanks for posting that, Machae.

The Economist article is quite brief, really. But it does at least reference the issue.

Non-paywalled version:

https://archive.ph/1Wmx9

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7064 on: September 26, 2022, 07:27:45 pm »

The Yanks aren't as keen on British cheese as Liz is then?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7065 on: September 26, 2022, 07:29:03 pm »

I know the country is in the shit at the moment, but that's not reason enough to take that fruitcake Paul Mason seriously is it?

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7066 on: September 26, 2022, 07:30:36 pm »
The Yanks aren't as keen on British cheese as Liz is then?

It's too much like actual cheese for the Yanks tastes.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7067 on: September 26, 2022, 08:42:17 pm »
I know the country is in the shit at the moment, but that's not reason enough to take that fruitcake Paul Mason seriously is it?
Well, Mason is referencing The Economist - and I liked to the actual article - so the proper question to ask yourself is: do you take The Economist seriously? I, for one, take The Economist more seriously than Paul Mason.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7068 on: September 26, 2022, 08:53:20 pm »
Well, Mason is referencing The Economist - and I liked to the actual article - so the proper question to ask yourself is: do you take The Economist seriously? I, for one, take The Economist more seriously than Paul Mason.
I really don't care who Mason references, the man is a c*nt.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7069 on: September 26, 2022, 09:10:03 pm »
I really don't care who Mason references, the man is a c*nt.
But what of The Economist article?* That's the important bit - not Mason's twitter account being used to reference the article.

* No matter - a rhetorical question.

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7070 on: September 26, 2022, 09:45:26 pm »
I thought we were talking about taking Paul merson seriously. Now that would be beyond the pale ale.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7071 on: September 26, 2022, 10:06:19 pm »
We won't be reversing decimalisation of our currency. The BoE has just spent six years phasing in the use of polymer bank notes, a process that is due to conclude on September 30th. They probably have billions of £s in notes stockpiled. They are in no mood to bin them all to start printing notes of identical value with C3's mug on them - so they certainly won't want to rejig the entire bloody currency from scratch to revert back to 240 pennies in the pound.

At the very least, such a switch over would cost an arm and a leg when the country is extremely short of financial limbs. The upheaval would be like joining the Euro without joining the Euro. Everton That. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 10:08:53 pm by Red Berry »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7072 on: September 26, 2022, 10:14:11 pm »
There’s so much crap going on with the latest cabal this one has sneaked out and gone under the radar somewhat

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/liz-truss-immigration-rules-relax-shortage-occupation-brexit-b1027904.html

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7073 on: September 27, 2022, 11:45:30 am »
I thought we were talking about taking Paul merson seriously. Now that would be beyond the pale ale.
At this point listening to Paul Merson is infinitely better than Mason.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #7074 on: September 27, 2022, 12:22:39 pm »

It's too much like actual cheese for the Yanks tastes.

umm. Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Gouda.
Gruyere.
Roquefort.
Feta.
Halloumi.
Ricotta.
Burrata.
Tulma.
Comte.
Edam.
Cotija.
Minas Frescal.
Cantal.

Stilton.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7075 on: September 27, 2022, 08:40:26 pm »

when the next general election happens starmer should get all the early votes and then at the last
minute announce his intention to rejoin the EU

all the disgruntled ex tories would’ve voted for him already, all the youngsters will actually get off their arse and vote

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7076 on: September 28, 2022, 01:48:46 am »
when the next general election happens starmer should get all the early votes and then at the last
minute announce his intention to rejoin the EU

all the disgruntled ex tories would’ve voted for him already, all the youngsters will actually get off their arse and vote

ha ha

great shout  ;D

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7077 on: September 28, 2022, 08:14:04 am »
Presumably the EU would have no problem with a state owned renewable energy company?  I believe France have nationalised EDF so can't see there being a problem.  Ah well 4 years on and something but blue passports seem still seem to be the only benefit.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7078 on: September 28, 2022, 08:51:31 am »
Presumably the EU would have no problem with a state owned renewable energy company?  I believe France have nationalised EDF so can't see there being a problem.  Ah well 4 years on and something but blue passports seem still seem to be the only benefit.
Actually, burgundy passports are only advised, and Croatia has a blue one! So, even having a blue passport is not a benefit. Further:

https://futureu.europa.eu/processes/OtherIdeas/f/8/proposals/20758?component_id=8&locale=en&order=recent&participatory_process_slug=OtherIdeas&toggle_translations=true

:)

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7079 on: September 28, 2022, 08:57:19 am »
Presumably the EU would have no problem with a state owned renewable energy company? I believe France have nationalised EDF so can't see there being a problem.  Ah well 4 years on and something but blue passports seem still seem to be the only benefit.
I'd be interested in hearing a proper answer to that.  I think the purpose of the State Aid rules was to stop companies like Amazon shopping around EU countries looking for the biggest tax cuts to move their operations there, like they do across the US States.  I don't think it was ever intended to stop Nationalising utilities or infrastructure, and a quick look at all of the Nationalised railways in the EU seems to back that up.  It was one of the main arguments from the Lexiters though, and I think even Gove referred to it during his famous 'experts' speech when he was talking about the EU stopping us from nationalising Tata Steel (which he wouldn't have done anyway).