Author Topic: The England Cricket Thread - 2024  (Read 639081 times)

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Re: The England Cricket Thread - 2022
« Reply #13920 on: June 27, 2022, 01:56:24 pm »
The 2016 Kabaddi final with Iran running India close was quite special, but India managed to find a way to win which ruined that all time great sporting moment...

I think mine are the Wilkinson drop goal and probably some cricket related moments.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13921 on: June 27, 2022, 01:56:46 pm »
Fair point.  Admittedly rugby is shite , but the Johnny Wilkinson winner was something special.

:D Extra marks because it involved Australia losing a final.

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #13922 on: June 27, 2022, 01:56:49 pm »
Back to the cricket.... England can't fuck this up can they?
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #13923 on: June 27, 2022, 01:57:37 pm »
the england cricket team is about the only non-lfc sporting 'thing' that I have any type of emotional investment in.

though I watch fuckloads of other sport just because I enjoy the sports themselves, but 'top moments' will always be ones that meant something.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13924 on: June 27, 2022, 01:58:45 pm »
Back to the cricket.... England can't fuck this up can they?

Sorry. Should have saved that for the rain delay.

These two look comfortable enough. NZ need us 5 down before 250 to have much chance but the ball seems to be doing more today so could be tricky for new starters.

But England to get home fairly comfortably is, still a bit strange to say, the likeliest outcome I think.

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #13925 on: June 27, 2022, 01:58:54 pm »
the england cricket team is about the only non-lfc sporting 'thing' that I have any type of emotional investment in.

though I watch fuckloads of other sport just because I enjoy the sports themselves, but 'top moments' will always be ones that meant something.

Yeah, a bit of the 2012 Olympic was exciting, but wasn't properly invested. Find it hard to be so in individual sports.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13926 on: June 27, 2022, 02:00:07 pm »
Yeah, a bit of the 2012 Olympic was exciting, but wasn't properly invested. Find it hard to be so in individual sports.

I love the Olympics and getting right behind some random man or woman from a bang average town who suddenly finds them self at the pin vault of their sport. There’s something quite endearing about that still.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13927 on: June 27, 2022, 02:05:36 pm »

"We only wish you were English."
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Joseph-Immanuel Queen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13928 on: June 27, 2022, 02:15:29 pm »
On the greatest non-LFC sporting memories, the Miracle at Medinah, anyone?

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13929 on: June 27, 2022, 02:18:37 pm »

I think so, got to be up there hasn't it?
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13930 on: June 27, 2022, 02:19:25 pm »
Currently going at 8.4 per over!
 :o
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13931 on: June 27, 2022, 02:21:19 pm »
Well done - all reviews used up. Very consistent.
 ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13932 on: June 27, 2022, 02:22:18 pm »

Yeah that was great too. Golf not for everyone but a good Ryder Cup is always compelling viewing.

The first prick to mention F1 is getting turfed out though.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13933 on: June 27, 2022, 02:29:31 pm »
Yeah that was great too. Golf not for everyone but a good Ryder Cup is always compelling viewing.

Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know how to bring up Help in MS Office? Which key do you press?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13934 on: June 27, 2022, 02:31:26 pm »
Three good test matches. Three great chases. Very un-Englandlike of late. Perfect start to Stokes' reign.

Looks like good weather for the India test in Birmingham. Rohit Sharma has COVID so looks unlikely he'll play.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13935 on: June 27, 2022, 02:35:45 pm »
What a finish :lmao

He's hit some unreal form.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #13936 on: June 27, 2022, 02:36:03 pm »
Bairstow has just taken about an hour or so off this afternoons entertainment for me.

What unbelievable for he is in.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #13937 on: June 27, 2022, 02:38:28 pm »
3-0 really doesn't even begin to say anything about this series.

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #13938 on: June 27, 2022, 02:39:34 pm »

It doesn't, but 3-0 on paper against the best test team in the world is amazing for this new set up. Hope this fun can continue through the summer and on our travels!

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13939 on: June 27, 2022, 02:48:52 pm »

Eddie the Eagle making that 71m ski jump in '88?

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #13940 on: June 27, 2022, 02:50:46 pm »

not many people can say they quite literally changed their sport. I think the ioc or whoever hated the fact he was shite but amazingly popular.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #13941 on: June 27, 2022, 02:58:09 pm »
does lees ever not squint?

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #13942 on: June 27, 2022, 03:07:23 pm »
England scored at an average rate of 5.41 runs per over for the whole match.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13943 on: June 27, 2022, 03:14:12 pm »

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #13944 on: June 27, 2022, 03:57:16 pm »
That makes my list ( I was never good at counting to three). Torville and Dean too.

The Eddie film is quite refreshing too.

--Colin Kapernick, and the black power salute at the Olympics too make my 3. --
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 03:58:57 pm by PaulF »
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #13945 on: June 27, 2022, 04:29:26 pm »

Yeah but England have killed us in the fourth innings of every match. Not sure a little more luck with injuries/exclusions, dismissals/DRS or weather our way would've done much to stop us losing, we never had enough in the bank each time.

Sucks that Johnny fucking Bairstow has done most of the damage but you got to hold your hands up when it FINALLY works out for him.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13946 on: June 27, 2022, 05:26:01 pm »

Doesn't really but new Zealand have been very underwhelming. Not ruthless enough to see through good positions to a winning position. Bullied in the fourth innings of each match with a fairly toothless.bowling performance. They've thrown some punches but not enough really. Don't think England's approach is sustainable in tough conditions against a bowling attack with depth but they've come out swinging here and fair play it's worked.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13947 on: June 27, 2022, 05:33:59 pm »
Yeah but England have killed us in the fourth innings of every match. Not sure a little more luck with injuries/exclusions, dismissals/DRS or weather our way would've done much to stop us losing, we never had enough in the bank each time.

Sucks that Johnny fucking Bairstow has done most of the damage but you got to hold your hands up when it FINALLY works out for him.

No sour grapes then eh?
 ;D

It think there is more to it than that, for example Roots scored a few runs too, as did others. Then there was the bowling, Broad and Anderson were both excellent and still showed why they are among the best seamers in the games history. The new lads were very good too and have arguably been let down by some average catching throughout the series. Oh and then there's that other bloke, Leach? He did rather well too but I don't think he'd have had the opportunity without Stokes taking the captaincy and I think the change in captain is the single biggest factor in this turnaround.

Does this series win demonstrate that the team were actually under performing with the previous captain / management? I think it was mentioned in this thread that perhaps they'd got over analytical which was making players risk adverse and stifling their talent. That includes the captain Root who seemed negative with this field placings and there is no way I could see him giving the spinner that many overs and backing him with an attacking field, Cook was the same to be honest.

I read somewhere that Stokes hates lengthly team meetings about tactics etc. after a quarter of an hour he's ready to blow a stack and just wants to get out there and play - where you can actually affect the game. Initially I thought, that's fine for a bloke that can literally do anything at an exceptional level on a cricket field but then I thought that should apply to any of these players, they are at the top of their profession and should all be capable of significant contributions.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13948 on: June 27, 2022, 06:03:25 pm »
No sour grapes then eh?
 ;D

It think there is more to it than that, for example Roots scored a few runs too, as did others. Then there was the bowling, Broad and Anderson were both excellent and still showed why they are among the best seamers in the games history. The new lads were very good too and have arguably been let down by some average catching throughout the series. Oh and then there's that other bloke, Leach? He did rather well too but I don't think he'd have had the opportunity without Stokes taking the captaincy and I think the change in captain is the single biggest factor in this turnaround.

Does this series win demonstrate that the team were actually under performing with the previous captain / management? I think it was mentioned in this thread that perhaps they'd got over analytical which was making players risk adverse and stifling their talent. That includes the captain Root who seemed negative with this field placings and there is no way I could see him giving the spinner that many overs and backing him with an attacking field, Cook was the same to be honest.

I read somewhere that Stokes hates lengthly team meetings about tactics etc. after a quarter of an hour he's ready to blow a stack and just wants to get out there and play - where you can actually affect the game. Initially I thought, that's fine for a bloke that can literally do anything at an exceptional level on a cricket field but then I thought that should apply to any of these players, they are at the top of their profession and should all be capable of significant contributions.

In fairness you look at lees, Crawley and pope. They've all had their techniques exposed again at one time or another. Pope of course managed to build a ton. I don't think a more aggressive outlook has influenced that side of it. Root has had support though and the middle order not melting away makes a huge difference to momentum. Some of that can probably be put down to an aggressive mindset I suppose

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13949 on: June 27, 2022, 06:28:15 pm »
In fairness you look at lees, Crawley and pope. They've all had their techniques exposed again at one time or another. Pope of course managed to build a ton. I don't think a more aggressive outlook has influenced that side of it. Root has had support though and the middle order not melting away makes a huge difference to momentum. Some of that can probably be put down to an aggressive mindset I suppose

That's why these are known as Test Matches?

I think with Root as captain, England lose this 2-0 or 3-0. Would Anderson / Broad have been picked or Leach for that matter, let alone been given many overs.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #13950 on: June 27, 2022, 06:28:31 pm »
If England found two openers they would become a fearsome batting machine. I actually like Pope at 3 and think it will work out for him. The sequence of Root-Bairstow-Stokes is as frightening as anything in world cricket right now.

There's a real damning assessment of Crawley by the excellent Jonathan Liew in today's Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2022/jun/26/zak-crawley-should-be-a-perfect-fit-for-this-england-but-offers-only-high-farce

What a fantastic series though. One of the best I've ever seen. The two sides are much closer than the score would suggest and the Kiwis might easily have won the series but for some gobsmacking cricket from Root and Bairstow in particular.

I bet Mitchell can't believe he's been on the losing side in three consecutive Tests. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13951 on: June 27, 2022, 06:47:43 pm »

Has anyone noted Eddie the Eagle's real name?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13952 on: June 27, 2022, 07:19:22 pm »
That's why these are known as Test Matches?

I think with Root as captain, England lose this 2-0 or 3-0. Would Anderson / Broad have been picked or Leach for that matter, let alone been given many overs.

Was the broad/Anderson non selection in the windies on Root? Never really followed how that panned out

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13953 on: June 27, 2022, 08:00:57 pm »
Was the broad/Anderson non selection in the windies on Root? Never really followed how that panned out

Hard to know for certain but traditionally the captains have a very big say in selections, I believe Stokes was influential in bringing in Potts. Long term, I just hope that the captaincy won't have too much of a detrimental effect on Stokes' performances, but somehow I don't think it will as He'll just keep it simple.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 08:14:09 pm by Yosser0_0 »

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13954 on: June 27, 2022, 08:04:54 pm »
Was stokes out for a good few months for 'personal reasons'. Or am I getting him mixed up .
Pressure of that job could go either way.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13955 on: June 27, 2022, 11:21:04 pm »
Well hats off to England. That was fun and so unusual.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13956 on: June 28, 2022, 07:15:37 am »
A super enjoyable series for the neutral.

I couldn't help but thinks the constant references to Potts' durability at every turn was a barely veiled dig at that lanky fella with the dodgy tweets who couldn't bowl a five over spell without picking up an injury.

Bairstow genuinely playing his best cricket ever. Even that chancer Pope getting some runs.

Feels like England have dispensed with with an awful lot of bullshit in the dressing room, everyone knows what they are doing.

Out of interest, why has Kohli stood down as India test captain?

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13957 on: June 28, 2022, 08:32:49 am »
I'm really getting into this cricket malarky.  I've even started the don Bradman book. Fascinating stuff, but clearly geared to test cricket. I suspect he'd write a lot differently if assuming at a short form player.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #13958 on: June 28, 2022, 09:13:04 am »
Bairstow is absolutely unstoppable atm. He is empirically proving that its just a different coloured ball in test cricket. His IPL stint has clearly helped his confidence significantly.

I have a feeling Butler will be brought back into the fold as he fits the McCullum template. If he is allowed to play the way he wants to, he could be a force to reckon with.

I like Overton as an all- rounder at no 6 or 7. He has the batting technique and power to make it work. His forward defensive shots are also excellent.

Bad management by NZ to pick only 3 bowlers and keep Ejaz out of the playing 11.  Bracewell is not and never will be front line spinner. He is a decent batsman but his bowling is barely batter than part time.  If they didn't trust Ejaz to do a job, they could have stuck to their strengths and gone with a 4 man seam attack.  Time to try other bowlers again, perhaps the likes of Ferguson and Milne with their genuine pace.

All in all,  England look a different side now. I am loving this new approach to test cricket. 

On this form, India should not worry England. 

Phuk yoo

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13959 on: June 28, 2022, 09:57:20 am »
Is this a shift to how test cricket is played, or just the way England approach the game?