Author Topic: The England Cricket Thread - 2024  (Read 640172 times)

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The England Cricket Thread - 2022
« Reply #14520 on: July 27, 2022, 10:02:22 pm »
Really enjoyable game there.

Was even some tension in it until Jordan and Gleesom did some exceptional death bowling.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14521 on: July 27, 2022, 10:02:58 pm »
Also great games like that are on the tele.

Bit of a bummer it’s on at the same time as the Euros though. Wasted opportunity.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #14522 on: July 27, 2022, 10:05:53 pm »
Never heard of that stubbs before but he can give it a whack.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14523 on: July 27, 2022, 11:35:20 pm »

His debut.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #14524 on: July 28, 2022, 08:03:17 am »
Purists may scoff, but I love T20 cricket.

Flat track, incredible hitting from both sides and some good death bowling.  Great match.

The ground is way too small though.

And what a season YJB is having. He is going to make a ton of money in the IPL next season with an upgraded contract.
Phuk yoo

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #14525 on: July 28, 2022, 09:42:41 pm »
Right or not, reviewing a ball down leg side when the 2 last batters need 58 from 20 runs is just a bit lame.

Batting second seems difficult on these pitches.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #14526 on: July 28, 2022, 09:44:03 pm »
seemed fairly obvious that wasn't being chased down from about 8 overs in if not before.

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14527 on: July 29, 2022, 10:06:44 am »

first time he batted for SA - actually his 3rd international T20 match.
he has played twice for Mumbai Indians in 2022 (but only batted once )  and played a blinder in SA T20 where he scored 80 not out

one for the future
let us see if he makes SA T20 WC squad?

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14528 on: July 29, 2022, 10:10:41 am »
South Africa have another young one to remember; Dewald Brevis. He played for Mumbai Indians. He's got a big reputation for a 19 year old.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14529 on: July 29, 2022, 05:44:54 pm »
What was behind the decision to bowl first?
 :o
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14530 on: July 31, 2022, 02:43:06 pm »
de Kock with another cock up?
 :-\
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Online Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #14531 on: July 31, 2022, 02:50:59 pm »
What was behind the decision to bowl first?
 :o

Possibly weather related? SA seem to be struggling to pick the ball a bit early on here
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #14532 on: July 31, 2022, 03:31:37 pm »
What's the score with Riley Rossouw? I thought he signed a Kolpak deal? Brexit?

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14533 on: July 31, 2022, 05:21:17 pm »
England are shite.

Online Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #14534 on: July 31, 2022, 05:29:44 pm »
Terrible batting again, game over.

Offline Joseph-Immanuel Queen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14535 on: July 31, 2022, 05:41:39 pm »
What's the score with Riley Rossouw? I thought he signed a Kolpak deal? Brexit?

Yup, Kolpak players aren't a thing anymore.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14536 on: July 31, 2022, 05:45:26 pm »
England are shite.

Wouldn’t worry. They’ll score 500 against Netherlands and everything will be fine.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #14537 on: July 31, 2022, 05:47:58 pm »
Wouldn’t worry. They’ll score 500 against Netherlands and everything will be fine.

This again? :D

‘Ahh they’re shit England, can only beat Netherlands’

England beat India, New Zealand and South Africa

England lose game

‘Ahh they’re shit England, can only beat Netherlands’
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #14538 on: July 31, 2022, 07:52:30 pm »
Just got back from the game.  That was genuinely the worst T20 match I've ever seen.  The England batsmen were timing the ball like they were hitting a potato with a wooden spoon.  Something is as wrong in the short format camp as it is right in the test squad at the moment.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14539 on: July 31, 2022, 09:09:37 pm »
Just got back from the game.  That was genuinely the worst T20 match I've ever seen.  The England batsmen were timing the ball like they were hitting a potato with a wooden spoon.  Something is as wrong in the short format camp as it is right in the test squad at the moment.

It’s like we can only ever be good at one or the other, not both.

Personnel doesn’t quite seem right at the moment, but of a job for the new coach, hope he’s up to it.

Online Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #14540 on: July 31, 2022, 09:11:36 pm »
It’s like we can only ever be good at one or the other, not both.

Personnel doesn’t quite seem right at the moment, but of a job for the new coach, hope he’s up to it.

That’s what my missus said, why can’t we have both!!!!

Easier a new captain and coach coming into a failing team, than one that’s on top of the world. They need to make sure they are set up for the world cup, and that means picking form players, not players that have played well before covid!

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #14541 on: August 1, 2022, 07:23:22 am »
Just a reminder we only see the tip of the iceberg. The now captain and coach don't come in and wave a magic wand (sorry, that sounds patronising, I don't mean it like that) 
I came in here to say for my U11 girls (amateur!) cricket, we travelled 3 hrs for 2xT20s yesterday. Got two more today, THEN a short training session. Unusually intense but that's the workload on very much junior players.  Made it home in time yesterday to see the extra time.  I was involved in coaching ladies football ( as it was called 20 years ago) , I wonder if I can bring my Midas touch to cricket :)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14542 on: August 1, 2022, 08:26:09 am »
Just a reminder we only see the tip of the iceberg. The now captain and coach don't come in and wave a magic wand (sorry, that sounds patronising, I don't mean it like that) 
I came in here to say for my U11 girls (amateur!) cricket, we travelled 3 hrs for 2xT20s yesterday. Got two more today, THEN a short training session. Unusually intense but that's the workload on very much junior players.  Made it home in time yesterday to see the extra time.  I was involved in coaching ladies football ( as it was called 20 years ago) , I wonder if I can bring my Midas touch to cricket :)

It sounds like your daughter has all the important qualities to make her a captain of her team: a dad who has a car and the wherewithal to ferry her and her team mates around. She'll go far (literally).
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14543 on: August 1, 2022, 08:59:57 am »
Haha. Yeah.
We are lucky that we are based close to the home ground. Many players are doing two hour trips just for training sessions.
At least it's got me out of building IKEA furniture for a little bit
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #14544 on: August 1, 2022, 10:10:49 am »

At that age they just need to keep their enthusiasm into their development years. I don't have any kind of backing for this, but I reckon girls mostly drop out of sports when they reach high school years and something like cricket might not seem cool or even available as male and female sports start to separate out.

If you can bring the team that feel of wanting to continue, get yourself involved, no matter your own cricketing knowledge levels!

Offline wah00ey

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14545 on: August 1, 2022, 10:19:28 am »
That’s what my missus said, why can’t we have both!!!!

Easier a new captain and coach coming into a failing team, than one that’s on top of the world. They need to make sure they are set up for the world cup, and that means picking form players, not players that have played well before covid!
Took my missus to the game for the first time yesterday.  I think she was somewhat underwhelmed!
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Online Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #14546 on: August 1, 2022, 10:27:25 am »
Took my missus to the game for the first time yesterday.  I think she was somewhat underwhelmed!

Ouch, not planning on going again then? Mine was already into cricket when we met, but so far have been to 4 games with her with great success:

Lancashire T20 in Liverpool that went down to the wire and I think was won with the last ball
England ashes match - a good full day of good batting and great wickets.
Lancashire T20 semi final a few weeks back
England vs South Africa shortened ODI - Had a rain delay to the start but was brilliant once it got going.

Going to the test at OT at the end of the month too so looking forward to another fun day!

Offline wah00ey

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14547 on: August 1, 2022, 10:42:06 am »
Ouch, not planning on going again then? Mine was already into cricket when we met, but so far have been to 4 games with her with great success:

Lancashire T20 in Liverpool that went down to the wire and I think was won with the last ball
England vs South Africa shortened ODI - Had a rain delay to the start but was brilliant once it got going.

Going to the test at OT at the end of the month too so looking forward to another fun day!
Might try another T20 with her next year.  I'm off to Lord's on 19th with a mate for the third day of the test :-)

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14548 on: August 1, 2022, 10:57:53 am »

Do you have tickets for the Man City and Chelsea games? I hope so.

And a reminder to Yosser0_0: your pond filters only clog up when England are bowling. Never when England are batting. If your pond floods when England are batting, think of it as a good omen and stay indoors.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14549 on: August 1, 2022, 02:33:16 pm »
Sat here, sun out ,24 degrees , beer in hand , mower in the distance , polite applause as we hit a four. Life can be very good .

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14550 on: August 2, 2022, 05:38:29 pm »
Seriously, what  does Zak Crawley have to do to get dropped? I'm sick of seeing the lanky streak of piss get dismissed for nothing and then somebody with affiliations to England falling over themselves to tell us why somebody with a worse first class average than Adil Rashid should be opening for England. 3 half centuries he's made for England since Joe Biden swore oath. 1 century in 34 innings. 1.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #14551 on: August 3, 2022, 09:10:13 am »
Seriously, what  does Zak Crawley have to do to get dropped? I'm sick of seeing the lanky streak of piss get dismissed for nothing and then somebody with affiliations to England falling over themselves to tell us why somebody with a worse first class average than Adil Rashid should be opening for England. 3 half centuries he's made for England since Joe Biden swore oath. 1 century in 34 innings. 1.

He's had a thin time in the County Championship since the last Test too. It's not exactly encouraging for anyone trying to break into the team.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14552 on: August 7, 2022, 08:19:36 pm »
That talented young Afghan lad from Freddie's BBC show has been granted asylum.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/aug/07/cricket-is-everything-adnan-miakhel-england-dreams-alive-as-asylum-granted

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14553 on: August 7, 2022, 11:29:31 pm »
That talented young Afghan lad from Freddie's BBC show has been granted asylum.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/aug/07/cricket-is-everything-adnan-miakhel-england-dreams-alive-as-asylum-granted

That’s brilliant. Look forward to him single handedly winning a Roses match in a few years!

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14554 on: August 8, 2022, 09:58:29 am »
That’s brilliant. Look forward to him single handedly winning a Roses match in a few years!

I'd give him that!

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14555 on: August 8, 2022, 01:13:32 pm »
Are England playing another test series this summer?

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #14556 on: August 8, 2022, 01:15:29 pm »
Three match series starting next week, against South Africa.
AHA!

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #14557 on: August 9, 2022, 05:39:30 pm »
The Hundred is not worth watching. Utterly pointless.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #14558 on: August 10, 2022, 08:04:16 pm »
The Hundred is not worth watching. Utterly pointless.

it's still (sort of) cricket so I've watched some. it's ok for what it is even if I don't think it really should exist.

101* off 50 is decent in any cricket too.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14559 on: August 10, 2022, 09:47:04 pm »
Will Smeed is all over Jason Roy’s spot in the team like a cheap suit. Roy has to be on extremely thin ice. Smeed can smash it and looks a serious beast.