Author Topic: Naby Keita Watch  (Read 1884813 times)

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Naby Keita Watch
« Reply #13720 on: August 21, 2022, 07:30:36 pm »

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13721 on: August 21, 2022, 08:50:42 pm »
There's a player in there as he's shown on many occasions but the fitness has killed his career here. I'd offer him a new deal personally as I think he's a good option for the squad and the less we have to do next summer the better (finding 3 new starting quality CMs will be almost impossible)

Start him tomorrow definitely. Fab/Keita/Elliott should absolutely dominate them

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13722 on: August 21, 2022, 10:40:54 pm »
Jurgen Klopp insists Naby Keita won’t be sold before transfer deadline

Selling Naby now and not replacing him?  No, that is not possible. It is not the plan. We are done. A player can go and we don’t replace him? No. Naby will not go but if he would, which he will not do, there would be a replacement of course.

https://theathletic.com/3526463/2022/08/21/jurgen-klopp-naby-keita-liverpool/

Offline Schmohawk

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13723 on: August 22, 2022, 07:18:16 am »
I guess that means Jude is not coming this summer.

Offline Anfield14

• Kemlynite
« Reply #13724 on: August 22, 2022, 07:56:01 am »
There's a player in there as he's shown on many occasions but the fitness has killed his career here. I'd offer him a new deal personally as I think he's a good option for the squad and the less we have to do next summer the better (finding 3 new starting quality CMs will be almost impossible)

Start him tomorrow definitely. Fab/Keita/Elliott should absolutely dominate them

I think he’s a luxury and don’t share your view that midfield  “should absolutely dominate” he has ability but in my opinion his tactical awareness and positioning can be quite poor.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #13725 on: August 22, 2022, 09:02:55 am »
I would liken him to a modern day Harry Kewell. His arrival seemed to be an integral part of the jigsaw and had the fans absolutely buzzing. Why not? He'd lit up the Bundesliga with his performances, just as Harry did at Leeds.

Just like Harry though, injury after injury plus a few invisible performances, had the fans running out of patience. Kewell did have a bit of a resurgence (who can forget that derby goal), so who knows what will happen with Naby.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13726 on: August 22, 2022, 09:26:06 am »
I should have a template list for this I’ve said it so many times… he’s been very good for us (aside from a couple of poor performances) when he’s been on the pitch. The issue with him has been availability, not performance.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #13727 on: August 22, 2022, 09:42:15 am »
I would liken him to a modern day Harry Kewell. His arrival seemed to be an integral part of the jigsaw and had the fans absolutely buzzing. Why not? He'd lit up the Bundesliga with his performances, just as Harry did at Leeds.

Just like Harry though, injury after injury plus a few invisible performances, had the fans running out of patience. Kewell did have a bit of a resurgence (who can forget that derby goal), so who knows what will happen with Naby.

And Kewell was a good player for us when he was actually fit which is overlooked or not remembered. Had a good first season in what was the end days for Houllier and a declining team at the time. If we'd signed him the year before instead of Diouf - for example - he might have had a more transformative effect.

Injury ravaged first season under Rafa culminating in Istanbul. 05/06 he was really good. It was after that he he barely played and with money tight his wages were a drain. I think he picked up a bad injury at the World Cup or something.

Perhaps in hindsight if Keita had came here a year earlier rather than stayed at Leipzig that extra year it may have worked better for him. Think for example of the run Ox had in the side in 17/18 after Coutinho left and was doing really well, that could have been Keita.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #13728 on: August 22, 2022, 09:42:40 am »
I should have a template list for this I’ve said it so many times… he’s been very good for us (aside from a couple of poor performances) when he’s been on the pitch. The issue with him has been availability, not performance.

He was available for the vast majority of last season and only started 19 league games, and didn't start the CL final despite Thiago and Fabinho having one fully working leg.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13729 on: August 22, 2022, 01:08:51 pm »
He was available for the vast majority of last season and only started 19 league games, and didn't start the CL final despite Thiago and Fabinho having one fully working leg.

In some respects I can see the point you're making but I think it also overlooks the fact that Hendo, Thiago and Fabinho were available for an extended run towards the end of last season and were in fine form, so weren't going to get displaced by Naby.

Time will tell whether the manager trusts him. I think Naby needs to be a bit better tactically with his positioning and closing down passing lanes and players, as well as his involvement in the press. No doubt about his gliding qualities on the ball, but like Ox I don't think he brings enough security in the middle to get a lot of minutes. Hopefully we will see a fit and in-form Naby against Utd and hopefully he can really kick on this season.

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #13730 on: August 22, 2022, 01:14:20 pm »

Thiago started 5 games more than him last season. Pretty clear Thiago and Keita were being rotated, with Thiago first choice of the two. It's not surprising Thiago got the nod for the CL final, though with his injury in the warm up Keita probably should have started.

His availability last season was good. Possibly because of the rotation. He's only missed 5 match day squads in the last 9 months, one with illness, two were League Cup games during AFCON, one an early round of the FA Cup with a weakened side (Ox, Jones, Tsimikas, Origi etc played). So that's 1 game missed through injury since early December.

He's been available and he's played almost as much as Thiago in 2022 who I think most would agree is one of the first names on the team sheet when fit. Making out he's not trusted to play is wide of the mark.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #13731 on: August 22, 2022, 01:52:50 pm »
I think he’s a luxury and don’t share your view that midfield  “should absolutely dominate” he has ability but in my opinion his tactical awareness and positioning can be quite poor.

Keita is in the top 90 percentile for tackles and interceptions so your opinion doesn't tally with the facts. 

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #13732 on: August 22, 2022, 01:53:42 pm »
Thiago started 5 games more than him last season. Pretty clear Thiago and Keita were being rotated, with Thiago first choice of the two. It's not surprising Thiago got the nod for the CL final, though with his injury in the warm up Keita probably should have started.

His availability last season was good. Possibly because of the rotation. He's only missed 5 match day squads in the last 9 months, one with illness, two were League Cup games during AFCON, one an early round of the FA Cup with a weakened side (Ox, Jones, Tsimikas, Origi etc played). So that's 1 game missed through injury since early December.

He's been available and he's played almost as much as Thiago in 2022 who I think most would agree is one of the first names on the team sheet when fit. Making out he's not trusted to play is wide of the mark.

Exactly.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13733 on: August 22, 2022, 02:00:43 pm »

This is incorrect.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #13734 on: August 22, 2022, 02:10:45 pm »
Would defo start him for this one

Hendo - Fab - Keita

Offline Anfield14

• Kemlynite
« Reply #13735 on: August 22, 2022, 02:17:51 pm »
This is incorrect.

Well it’s my opinion….

Offline Anfield14

• Kemlynite
« Reply #13736 on: August 22, 2022, 02:26:12 pm »

Keita is in the top 90 percentile for tackles and interceptions so your opinion doesn't tally with the facts. 

My opinion is something I have formed over watching him, honestly couldn’t give a shiny shit what the percentile for tackles and interceptions says. 

Lots of blind love in here and heaven forbid if anyone has an opinion.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13737 on: August 22, 2022, 02:41:59 pm »
That sounds a bit fanboyish

He was MOTM, that is not exagerrating or being "fanboyish" - and arguably the single best midfield performance for us since Stevie G in his pomp.

Offline JasonF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #13738 on: August 22, 2022, 02:47:21 pm »
He was MOTM, that is not exagerrating or being "fanboyish" - and arguably the single best midfield performance for us since Stevie G in his pomp.

I think they were joking. MonsLibpool made two consecutive posts in here, one calling people who are supportive of Naby 'fanboys' followed by another saying he should start against Man Utd.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13739 on: August 22, 2022, 03:14:00 pm »
My opinion is something I have formed over watching him, honestly couldn’t give a shiny shit what the percentile for tackles and interceptions says. 

I go to all home games and as many aways as I can and I rate Naby highly. Your view might have held some water in his early days as he tried to adapt to the way Jurgen wanted him to play, which was different to his Leipzig days. Now he is often the trigger to press and holds his position really well. Only my opinion based on watching him on the pitch and not through a tv director's idea on what is worth seeing.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13740 on: August 22, 2022, 03:15:37 pm »
Well it’s my opinion….

See the neat part about opinions is that they can be perfectly wrong. And yours is.

No one is stopping you from having one - not in the least!

Just understand that you can be called out on it as well.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #13741 on: August 22, 2022, 03:47:35 pm »

Lots of blind love in here and heaven forbid if anyone has an opinion

Isn't that blind...I don't know...dislike/disapproval though? Rejecting objective fact in favour of subjective opinion.

If he's doing the the business in terms of tackles & interceptions, I'm not really fussed what your or my opinion is on how it looks or whatever.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #13742 on: August 22, 2022, 04:00:50 pm »
Keïta hasn't been a success but at the same time no flop either. He's been treading that line between the two, scoring some important goals and looking quite lively a lot of times when he has played. I quickly realized after his arrival that the hype was overblown but that he would be a useful squad member at the same time. The issue mainly is he can't really stay fit and thus it's hard to ask for more money than he currently earns. It makes absolutely no sense letting him go before the window closes though, he's a borderline top-four calibre midfield player when he's around and there could still be time to work a new contract out if he earns it with proper perfomances on the pitch.
Linudden.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13743 on: August 22, 2022, 05:37:27 pm »
I think they were joking. MonsLibpool made two consecutive posts in here, one calling people who are supportive of Naby 'fanboys' followed by another saying he should start against Man Utd.
I was under the impression that English isn't Mons' first lnaguage.

if that's the case maybe the nuance of "fanboy" eludes him?

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13744 on: August 22, 2022, 06:09:19 pm »
I was under the impression that English isn't Mons' first lnaguage.

if that's the case maybe the nuance of "fanboy" eludes him?
He's a good player and he performed well there last season. What I don't agree with is calling posters names if they have doubts about him like I already said.

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13745 on: August 22, 2022, 07:01:38 pm »
Not even in the squad tonight.. Klopp said he was back so that’s a weird one.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #13746 on: August 22, 2022, 07:02:20 pm »
Either off or injured. Again.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.victoriacreperie.co.uk/
« Reply #13747 on: August 22, 2022, 07:02:24 pm »
I think that's the end of his lfc career
who are you to judge the life i live?
i know im not perfect-and i dont live to be,
but before you start pointing fingers make
sure your hands are clean!.

Offline JasonF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #13748 on: August 22, 2022, 07:02:56 pm »
The training ground witch got him Klopp says.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13749 on: August 22, 2022, 07:03:00 pm »
That's him done at LFC me thinks.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #13750 on: August 22, 2022, 07:03:32 pm »
Put a fork in him, he's not even in the squad for tonight, so much for "starting"

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #13751 on: August 22, 2022, 07:03:53 pm »
Get Rid what’s the point.

Offline JasonF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #13752 on: August 22, 2022, 07:04:37 pm »
I think that's the end of his lfc career

Why would it be though? First injury for 9 months. We don't even know what it is or how long it'll be.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13753 on: August 22, 2022, 07:04:42 pm »

Yep. Gone. Midfield depleted - not even in squad. Will probably be some mystery illness.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13754 on: August 22, 2022, 07:07:09 pm »
Why would it be though? First injury for 9 months. We don't even know what it is or how long it'll be.

Mate, he can't stay fit long enough to become consistently good for us.  We basically need 2 Gini's but a bit more technically gifted.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13755 on: August 22, 2022, 07:07:41 pm »
I’d say at this point it’s more likely there’s a deal rumbling behind the scenes and Klopp is just saying he’s out. Dunno, time will tell I guess.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #13756 on: August 22, 2022, 07:08:00 pm »
Finished here.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #13757 on: August 22, 2022, 07:08:59 pm »
I’d say at this point it’s more likely there’s a deal rumbling behind the scenes and Klopp is just saying he’s out. Dunno, time will tell I guess.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13758 on: August 22, 2022, 07:09:48 pm »
https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1561776884970651650

Naby Keita absent through injury for Liverpool.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #13759 on: August 22, 2022, 07:10:47 pm »

That's my feeling too.  Or he was on the bench again and got in a huff about it.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.