Author Topic: Naby Keita Watch  (Read 1884896 times)

Offline red vinyl

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Naby Keita Watch
« Reply #13640 on: August 17, 2022, 11:25:59 pm »
You’re the one missing the point here, a fit and maturing Naby would suit where we are going in style of play, that’s why we bought him no?

Offline red vinyl

• Kopite
« Reply #13641 on: August 17, 2022, 11:27:05 pm »
Read that before, nothing new to add.

Offline DarkOfTheManatee

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13642 on: August 17, 2022, 11:33:39 pm »
I wonder how many of the more unforgiving takes on Keita in here still stem from the sky-high expectations that surrounded his arrival?

I remember genuinely thinking we had signed a midfielder who was the complete package and would go on to be the best in the world. The anticipation of waiting a whole season for him to arrive. The stats being shared on RAWK that showed him as being elite on pretty much every metric. Keita might be the most I've been excited for a transfer, to be honest.

So even though he's been one of my favourite players to watch when he's on form, the fact that he's not consistently reached those (probably unattainable) expected levels means that it's easier to feel underwhelmed, and magnify any perceived faults through that lens.

Otherwise it seems strange that someone who has been at worst a useful squad player in the best Liverpool team of my lifetime is sometimes turned against so readily.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13643 on: August 18, 2022, 12:05:54 am »
you'd think the experience of going through Mo's renewal would have taught people not to jump to conclusions.

yet so many still assume that their pure unadulterated speculation about his attitude and desires are somehow, magically, facts -- coz, y'know, they typed them.

giving one of our players the benfit of the doubt is too much to ask for with some people I guess.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13644 on: August 18, 2022, 12:07:53 am »
Sqaud players now are important more than ever because of the amount of games and let's be real we won't find a sqaud player with his qualities. If not for his injury issues we are talking about a +50m player so it make sense to keep him but we need the three first choice midfielders to be reliable. This of course assuming he is fine with staying and accepting he will not be first choice.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #13645 on: August 18, 2022, 12:09:18 am »
Ah yeah, so different, because Keita wasn't trying to help us get to Champions League finals or partake in any periods of good form.

What the fuck am I missing? Do you two think Keita has voluntarily chosen to sometimes be unavailable? Why are you guys acting like he's a twat?

Maybe you angry guys should read what the clubs mouthpiece has put out this evening, before you judge Keita a piss taker

It’s so weird, as why would any actual fan feel compelled to post what these two have tonight? We know Keita is a very good player who sadly has been hampered badly. BUT all this shit coming off the back of a good season where he played a big part in an amazing season. Just agenda driven nonsense more suited to Tiwtter. 

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13646 on: August 18, 2022, 12:38:47 am »
He has to be our most divisive player for some time. Some think he's Excellent others think he’s terrible, theres no middle ground.

He’s been a huge disappointment for me, probably should’ve cashed in last summer.

I think loads of people are in the middle ground on Keita - it's just not a particularly interesting take and gets lost between the extremes anyway.

We were all incredibly excited to sign him, eagerly anticipating his arrival, he was slow to settle, gets injured a lot, has gradually put together a reasonable number of 'decent' appearances and a handful of really good ones. The manager seems to have doubts about him, regularly substituting him or not using him at all for spells when he's actually fit.

Meh. He's not going to be the driving force of our midfield, he's not terrible. He gets injured a lot (worth mentioning twice). Given that we have a few other midfielders with dubious fitness records, he's part of a vulnerability in that area of the squad - and one that, ultimately, his performances and usage by the manager don't really justify. At this stage (assuming they're both fit, which is... rare), I'd probably rather give playing time to Jones in that role, behind the (also rarely fit) Thiago. There's not a huge amount between Keita and Jones in their output to date, but one has the potential to be around for a lot longer.

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #13647 on: August 18, 2022, 01:07:32 am »
Well Fuck me

Lively start to the season. 

Edit  I must say though, this puts us 1 step closer to the "Matip steps into midfield and breezes the balon d'or" scenario that i am pretty much counting on  ;D 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 01:11:46 am by Bobinhood »
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13648 on: August 18, 2022, 06:02:08 am »
As another poster said on the transfer thread that Keita doesnt exist in his own world, the fact is we have far too many unreliable players so any chance we have to sell him, we should let him go. I find it completely bizarre the talk of offering him a new contract.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13649 on: August 18, 2022, 06:16:53 am »
I wonder how many of the more unforgiving takes on Keita in here still stem from the sky-high expectations that surrounded his arrival?

I remember genuinely thinking we had signed a midfielder who was the complete package and would go on to be the best in the world. The anticipation of waiting a whole season for him to arrive. The stats being shared on RAWK that showed him as being elite on pretty much every metric. Keita might be the most I've been excited for a transfer, to be honest.

So even though he's been one of my favourite players to watch when he's on form, the fact that he's not consistently reached those (probably unattainable) expected levels means that it's easier to feel underwhelmed, and magnify any perceived faults through that lens.

Otherwise it seems strange that someone who has been at worst a useful squad player in the best Liverpool team of my lifetime is sometimes turned against so readily.

Good post. And whilst he is here, maybe we will him on rather than show him the door.

Offline 205mob

• Main Stander
« Reply #13650 on: August 18, 2022, 06:36:32 am »
Naby keita the tout see ye fella

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #13651 on: August 18, 2022, 07:41:54 am »
Doyle and Jones have both said Keita and his representatives still hold a good relationship with the club. So the previous Tweet saying he isn't happy probably a load of shite not that it will matter one iota to the people that have already made up their minds about Keita.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 07:46:06 am by spider-neil »

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13652 on: August 18, 2022, 07:58:27 am »
So many people seem okay at the idea of Keita living which is baffling.

His availability is under rated too, yes he misses some games due to injury but I honestly think people blur the lines between games where he doesn't start too, like do people realise he was available against Palace??

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13653 on: August 18, 2022, 08:09:33 am »
I think loads of people are in the middle ground on Keita - it's just not a particularly interesting take and gets lost between the extremes anyway.

We were all incredibly excited to sign him, eagerly anticipating his arrival, he was slow to settle, gets injured a lot, has gradually put together a reasonable number of 'decent' appearances and a handful of really good ones. The manager seems to have doubts about him, regularly substituting him or not using him at all for spells when he's actually fit.

Meh. He's not going to be the driving force of our midfield, he's not terrible. He gets injured a lot (worth mentioning twice). Given that we have a few other midfielders with dubious fitness records, he's part of a vulnerability in that area of the squad - and one that, ultimately, his performances and usage by the manager don't really justify. At this stage (assuming they're both fit, which is... rare), I'd probably rather give playing time to Jones in that role, behind the (also rarely fit) Thiago. There's not a huge amount between Keita and Jones in their output to date, but one has the potential to be around for a lot longer.

Think this is about right and pretty much where I'm at.

I don't think Keita is a flop - he's contributed to the last few years. Maybe not as much or as often as we might have hoped, but he's been just about worth the decent outlay on him. As the same time though, I am struggling to care much about the talk at the moment because he's not a key player and I don't think he'll ever be.

I also think the culture war around him is tiresome. Some will absolutely never praise him, some go far out of their way to over-praise merely decent performances as evidence that he's 'arrived'  or should be in our strongest XI (answer: he shouldn't be if everyone is fit).

If he goes I'll wish him good luck, but I don't think we'll struggle to replace him and it'll be fine.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 08:11:26 am by decosabute »

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13654 on: August 18, 2022, 08:12:22 am »

His availability is under rated too, yes he misses some games due to injury but I honestly think people blur the lines between games where he doesn't start too, like do people realise he was available against Palace??

I know Keita has his haters but I'm sure they don't want him dead :o

Offline abetts

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13655 on: August 18, 2022, 08:14:00 am »

Agreed - with his injury record, he should have been put down a long, long time ago.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13656 on: August 18, 2022, 08:15:07 am »

He also clearly wasn't fit enough to play much, if at all. It's ok being available, but is there any evidence he can actually play a lot of league minutes for us? Extreme example is Sturridge, he only missed the match day squad in the league 3 times in 18/19 but I don't think anyone would have expected him to be able to play loads more than he did.

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13657 on: August 18, 2022, 08:37:35 am »
If you owned a state of the art 65 inch TV which was great to watch but would randomly shut down for 2-3 days every week would you keep it, because your viewing pleasure is great when it does work, or replace it with a 55 inch option with 5 stars for reliability?

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #13658 on: August 18, 2022, 08:39:59 am »
If you owned a state of the art 65 inch TV which was great to watch but would randomly shut down for 2-3 days every week would you keep it, because your viewing pleasure is great when it does work, or replace it with a 55 inch option with 5 stars for reliability?

it would depend what else I had

I have other screens for entertainment. it wouldn't stop that one failing. I'd still want rid of it.

But if my phone and tablet were both damaged, my other screens my other devices, I'd make do with that telly. But yes, I'd replace it for reliability.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13659 on: August 18, 2022, 08:41:50 am »

I'd find out what was wrong with the TV and fix it. And by all accounts that is Liverpool have done based on Keita's improved availability last season. This season Keita is ill not injured, there's a difference.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13660 on: August 18, 2022, 08:54:13 am »
As another poster said on the transfer thread that Keita doesnt exist in his own world, the fact is we have far too many unreliable players so any chance we have to sell him, we should let him go. I find it completely bizarre the talk of offering him a new contract.

I agree. The phrase “cut your losses” has never been more apt.

He is a good player, I have seen it with my own eyes at Leipzig, but he just doesn’t fit our team and our game for whatever reason. Four seasons is plenty enough time to see that given he should be a regular, important first team player by now. We need better and more reliable players than Naby if we are to progress.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13661 on: August 18, 2022, 08:56:37 am »
if there were any players in the squad you would be worrying about losing, it certainly isnt him.

Will forever remember the toe punt into row Z in the champions league final

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #13662 on: August 18, 2022, 08:57:01 am »
A very underwhelming signing. 4 inconsistent and injury ridden seasons

It’s a shame we aren’t in the position to ‘cash in’ as we need bodies. The fact we’re having to start a 37 year old James Milner, no matter his impeccable fitness levels, says it all really

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13663 on: August 18, 2022, 08:57:43 am »
I'd find out what was wrong with the TV and fix it. And by all accounts that is Liverpool have done based on Keita's improved availability last season. This season Keita is ill not injured, there's a difference.

He started a ridiculously low amount of games considering his availability. Maybe thats because he cant play unless he is 100% right? Maybe Klopp only trusts him certain games?

Either way, there are too many issues with him and the midfield in general.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #13664 on: August 18, 2022, 09:00:08 am »

Think this sums it up for me.  The fact that we're in the middle of a bit of an injury crisis and I'm still pretty ambivalent to the thought of him leaving this window says it all.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #13665 on: August 18, 2022, 09:07:50 am »

He`s not lived up to expectations, and he`s often been unavailable, but there is a player there...perhaps we haven`t used him properly , he needed to be picked for certain situations or perhaps he was never gonna fit? I`d expect the professional coaches at the club would know better than me. There have been highlights: one game i was actually at, 5-0 at home to Huddersfield, he pressed and robbed their midfielder and scored after 15 secs and set us on our way. The first goal against United last season. Some cracking shots. We can`t afford to sell him at this point with no replacements, certainly none that are bedded in.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #13666 on: August 18, 2022, 09:11:23 am »
Some right knobhead posts in here
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #13667 on: August 18, 2022, 09:12:32 am »
He started a ridiculously low amount of games considering his availability. Maybe thats because he cant play unless he is 100% right? Maybe Klopp only trusts him certain games?

Either way, there are too many issues with him and the midfield in general.
The Daniel Sturridge effect. So sad to see when he was such a delight before it. Something gets in to some players heads and they start protecting themselves for a future that is disappearing as this desire to save themselves for when they feel 100% builds in their minds. At least that's how it seemed to me.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 09:14:15 am by markedasred »
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13668 on: August 18, 2022, 09:14:21 am »
Think this sums it up for me.  The fact that we're in the middle of a bit of an injury crisis and I'm still pretty ambivalent to the thought of him leaving this window says it all.

Speak for yourself don't presume to speak for others. I'm certainly not ambivalent to Keita leaving in this window.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #13669 on: August 18, 2022, 09:14:59 am »
Speak for yourself don't presume to speak for others. I'm certainly not ambivalent to Keita leaving in this window.

I was speaking for myself, that's why I said it sums it up for me and that I'm ambivalent.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13670 on: August 18, 2022, 09:17:00 am »
The Daniel Sturridge effect. Something gets in to some players heads and they start protecting themselves for a future that is disappearing as this desire to save themselves for when they feel 100% builds in their minds. At least that's how it seemed to me.

To be fair what I meant is maybe the club feel he needs to be 100% right to play and not the situation we had from Gomez and Henderson this week, where they had a knock and were only brought on still.

I dont know really. Ultimately though he isnt really a reliable option in terms of being in as soon as he is fit or being available in the first place.

He is a luxury player and currently we have far too many of those.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #13671 on: August 18, 2022, 10:17:17 am »
He is a luxury player and currently we have far too many of those.
Not sure what is meant by this, maybe naming the others might help clarify?

As it stands, “luxury” isn’t the right word I don’t think. Surplus or non-critical maybe. Contributes now and then and obviously has talent but for whatever reason isn’t able to apply it consistently. If he’s not in the team, he’s never really missed.

Nobody says “oh if only Naby was fit/available/brought on off the bench, we’d have won”. I’d have put him in the shop window before now if I’m brutally honest.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 10:18:59 am by rossipersempre »
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13672 on: August 18, 2022, 10:20:46 am »
Nobody says “oh if only Naby was fit/available/brought on off the bench, we’d have won”. I’d have put him in the shop window before now if I’m brutally honest.
Last heard that three games ago, in a stadium in Paris

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #13673 on: August 18, 2022, 10:22:07 am »
Oh RAWK, meltdowns, missed these haha!

I doubt we would want to let him leave on a free or a pre-contract, so lets see if a team can test our resolve with a decent bid. Naby Keita is a strange profile for a Premier League midfielder, he doesn't have a physical attribute which suits this league, he does have an abundance of skill, but his dribbling has declined since he came in, and his shooting is hit and miss.

Carvalho and Elliot are more dynamic players than Keita, they have youth and enthusiasm to try to win the game (vs Palace). Most believed Naby was a game-changer, but that hasnt really happened, though he has shown some flashes of brilliance, its just not been consistent enough. Right now, there is no way I'd be dropping Elliot in this form for Keita, Klopp probably wouldnt either. So yeah, being 4th or 5th choice midfielder would really piss him off. There is no way Milner should be playing ahead of him....and I love Milner, what he's done for this team over the years.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13674 on: August 18, 2022, 10:25:21 am »
I was speaking for myself, that's why I said it sums it up for me and that I'm ambivalent.

;D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #13675 on: August 18, 2022, 10:32:52 am »
Depends on wages, etc.
He's a really good player but maybe not suited to the amount of intense Premiership games? Always injured or were waiting for his next injury (same Thiago).
If we keep him, it'll hopefully be on less money.

Offline lfcred1976

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13676 on: August 18, 2022, 10:37:18 am »
The Daniel Sturridge effect. So sad to see when he was such a delight before it. Something gets in to some players heads and they start protecting themselves for a future that is disappearing as this desire to save themselves for when they feel 100% builds in their minds. At least that's how it seemed to me.

Was defo psychological with Sturridge I think. In Gerrard’s book before the Man United match at home in the 2013/14 season where Sturridge said he didn’t feel right so didn’t want to play. Doctors and physios couldn’t find nothing up with him and Gerrrard had to talk him into playing the game just about summed him up.

Think it was Thierry Henry who said you’re never 100% niggle free as a footballer.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13677 on: August 18, 2022, 11:24:57 am »
Keita injuries have been his thigh, his groin and hamstring. You'd have to be an idiot if you think he could run that off. In fact, his international team attempting to play him through his groin injury is probably what caused the long lay off as Keita doesn't have a string of injuries pre-Liverpol.

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #13678 on: August 18, 2022, 01:00:34 pm »
Keita injuries have been his thigh, his groin and hamstring. You'd have to be an idiot if you think he could run that off. In fact, his international team attempting to play him through his groin injury is probably what caused the long lay off as Keita doesn't have a string of injuries pre-Liverpol.

Pretty clear we were rotating him and Thiago too, in an attempt to keep them both fit. People who are saying he didn't start many games because he wasn't trusted are rewriting history.

I'd say the rotation has worked better for Keita than Thiago to be honest but I doubt Thiago is coming in for anything like this much criticism for his injury than Naby is for his illness.

Klopp says Naby is in the best shape of his life. Maybe we should give him a chance to show it rather than assuming he's made of glass.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13679 on: August 18, 2022, 02:36:59 pm »
Pretty clear we were rotating him and Thiago too, in an attempt to keep them both fit. People who are saying he didn't start many games because he wasn't trusted are rewriting history.

I'd say the rotation has worked better for Keita than Thiago to be honest but I doubt Thiago is coming in for anything like this much criticism for his injury than Naby is for his illness.

Klopp says Naby is in the best shape of his life. Maybe we should give him a chance to show it rather than assuming he's made of glass.

thats just klopp isn't it. he will and never throw any of his players under the bus unless his name is sakho

i am hoping at least he will be on the bench for the man u game but wouldn't even be surprised if he isn't due to illness or some other "reasons" picked up during training or while warming up. Unfortunately that's just how it has been with him for the past 4 years even though we all know how much quality he brings.