Author Topic: Naby Keita Watch  (Read 1712029 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Re: Naby Keita Watch
« Reply #13400 on: May 29, 2022, 11:45:34 pm »
Yet I remember when you drooled over him Yorky, because he did that rare thing - constantly played with his head up.

Has he, overall, been a disappointment? Given the general view that he would transform our midfield, undoubtedly yes. But whilst I think that, he nevertheless has performed well in a number of games. And I believe his finishing is no more erratic than the other midfielders, with the probable exception of Ox, who these days never gets a look in. Truth is, we donít have an Ďeliteí midfielder in the mould of Modric or de Bruyne - moreís the pity. (Thiago is very good, but his overall profile and fitness record preclude him imho).

If he has been a disappointment it's because I had such high expectations of him. For one reason or another he hasn't matched those. Injuries seem to have taken a big slice out of his Liverpool career and until this season, at least, he hasn't been in any position to show that he's indispensable to Liverpool. This season has been different of course. He's played very well on the whole and made a top class contribution to Liverpool's brilliant season. He remains the wonderful 'head-up player' I must have referred to. But I still wouldn't say he's indispensable. I never fret for example when he's on the bench or when he's unavailable. The same isn't true with Fabinho and Thiago (who I would put in the same bracket as de Bruyne and Modric).

His shooting is genuinely lousy though. It's not even "erratic". It's predictably poor.

PS Sorry for the nuance JackWard. I know you struggle with that.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Killin Grannies, Slappin Fannys Andy Fan (Lone Star Red)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Neda
« Reply #13401 on: May 30, 2022, 05:42:26 am »
He's capable of anything, his quality is there, but he flatters to deceive.

We'll lose dosh if we sell, but it's time to let the younger lads in.

Can't beat City on sentiment.  Gotta go undefeated every year.  Ruthless.  No quarter.  A joyful, cool machine.

We go again.
Be open minded.

Evolve.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Killin Grannies, Slappin Fannys Andy Fan (Lone Star Red)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Neda
« Reply #13402 on: May 30, 2022, 05:47:10 am »

Actually surprised you havenít flip flopped backed to the Henderson bashing after this thread didnít work out for you and after we failed to win a big game where he was captain Ö you couldíve dusted off a few of your Ďnot really a liverpool playerí vibes about the captain but I guess Keita remains an easier target

Yorky is right in his opinion of both these players.

With all due respect, you're a joke.
Be open minded.

Evolve.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #13403 on: May 30, 2022, 07:46:36 am »

The only opinion that counts is Klopp's.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13404 on: May 30, 2022, 07:53:20 am »
Shows how much trust Klopp has in both players doesnít it.

Klopp gambled with a more talented player but in retrospect we may have been better served going with the player closer to full fitness.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13405 on: May 30, 2022, 11:06:50 am »

Can't beat City on sentiment.  Gotta go undefeated every year.  Ruthless.  No quarter.  A joyful, cool machine.

We go again.
Naby started 14 league games this season. We won 12 drew one, against Tottenham, and lost against Leicester who only scored once he went off. But please, don't let facts get in the way of 'the narrative'.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #13406 on: May 30, 2022, 11:14:38 am »

Nah he's not, and nah he's not.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13407 on: May 30, 2022, 11:18:25 am »
The shot was infuriating, but those moments can happen to anyone.

Heís had a decent season. I accepted a while ago that we didnít get the player we expected when we signed him, but heís a very solid squad option and weíll see how he gets on next year. Iíd certainly keep him, whereas at the start of the year I was 50:50 whether it would be more sensible to cash in or not.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #13408 on: May 30, 2022, 11:21:07 am »
No point in being disappointed in Keita.
He is not the player we think we bought.

Decent enough player for the squad. Can be useful against weaker opposition of a certain type who we need to pick apart and open up for goals.
But many times when push came to shove against stronger opposition, we have looked to him to be the one to change the game, and mostly, he just does not.
Not his fault per se. He is not that player.

He is however, a nice rotation player to play selectively, manage fitness and be useful in specific games.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13409 on: May 30, 2022, 12:31:13 pm »
No idea why heís getting this kind of stick.

Because he is, and will remain, RAWK's favorite scapegoat. 

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13410 on: May 30, 2022, 12:54:57 pm »
'I'ver personally never seen such a consistently poor striker of the ball at Liverpool before'

Heard it all now :lmao

Go back and look at some of the names that have respresented this club over the years. Naby wouldn't make the top 50 for the most consistently poor strikers of the ball ffs

Also love how he is quite literally the only CM we have that gets goalscoring levelled at him as a criticism despite the fact only Fab (who has scored an uncharacteristically high amount this season) has more than him from midfield
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 12:57:25 pm by RyanBabel19 »

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #13411 on: May 30, 2022, 01:02:13 pm »

Odd people piling on Naby. I don`t think anyone was genuinely bad, we played well and were unlucky not to score a hatful. Diaz was stifled by gameplan and generous (to Madrid) refereeing. Apart from that i have no complaints about the efforts of anyone.
"Nobody knows anything..." William Goldman.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13412 on: May 30, 2022, 01:16:03 pm »
Fuck me, he slices a shot.

Get over it.

Are you still going on about that Villa one?  ;D

For the record I thought Keita was great when he came on. Made me think he might have started. But the shooting! It is so bad.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 01:17:56 pm by Yorkykopite »
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Neda
« Reply #13413 on: May 30, 2022, 01:17:06 pm »
It's mad to slate him for one kick.  He's just got no consistency and infrequent application of his outstanding talents.

He'd blossom out of the Prem.
Be open minded.

Evolve.

Offline Songs to Sing

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Hold your head up high He made the people happy
« Reply #13414 on: May 30, 2022, 01:24:01 pm »
Na for me itís understandable having a dig. Professional footballer, get that chance and that is what you produce? Itís not the fact that he missed. That is fine. Itís the fact he chose to go with that technique. Itís just really bad decision making. Itís shocking. Thatís one you go with side foot or laces, but that? This isnít a friendly or a prem game youíre 2-0 up. You go with percentages. I wouldve done a better job. Iím not one to be harsh on players but it was shockingly bad decision making given the context.
-Rafael Benitez 03/06/2010: "Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone." No, thank you, you wondeful, humble, gracious man. You fought for us for years and won't be forgotten.-
The 5th Benitle

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13415 on: May 30, 2022, 01:57:03 pm »
Naby started 14 league games this season. We won 12 drew one, against Tottenham, and lost against Leicester who only scored once he went off. But please, don't let facts get in the way of 'the narrative'.

Don't you mean drew 2? Brighton and Spurs? Brighton scored two goals after Keita went off. It was 2-0 before Keita broke down with his hamstring.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 02:10:25 pm by spider-neil »

Offline TheMan

• Kemlynite
« Reply #13416 on: May 30, 2022, 02:24:41 pm »
A talented player, there is no doubt about that.

But I don't trust him to impact big games positively, on the contrary he is one of the players I most worry about. It could be a mentality issue rather than any questions about his ability or technique. After 5 seasons he still seems a guy that is trying to impress, that feels like he doesn't really belong.

In short, I believe the player is too insecure to play for us and if we want to win big trophies then he shouldn't be involved. Sorry to be so harsh but we can hardly say he hasn't had enough time or opportunities. 

Sometimes you just know that a player doesn't have what it takes (again, not necessarily talking about ability here) and you can sense that they don't even have the belief in themselves which is the root cause of these anxious, nervy and flaky performances.

You see it sometimes with comedians on stage, within a minute or two with some of them you can almost smell their self-consciousness and it impacts on everything.

Time to sell, we will do well to get anything near 20 million.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13417 on: May 30, 2022, 02:32:34 pm »
Hang on, we might be on to something here.

Think of all the debating, arguing, and mental anguish we could save - not to mention the pixels! - if the club adopted the following policy:

"If a player balloons into the crowd more than X shots in a season, their other skills and contributions will be ignored and we will sell them at the first available opportunity and replace them with someone who might not do the same."

life would be so much simpler !!

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13418 on: May 30, 2022, 02:37:17 pm »
Hang on, we might be on to something here.

Think of all the debating, arguing, and mental anguish we could save - not to mention the pixels! - if the club adopted the following policy:

"If a player balloons into the crowd more than X shots in a season, their other skills and contributions will be ignored and we will sell them at the first available opportunity and replace them with someone who might not do the same."

life would be so much simpler !!

Christ, that seems a bit drastic.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13419 on: May 30, 2022, 02:39:20 pm »
Christ, that seems a bit drastic.
drastic times, drastic measures.

could extend it to defenders who score OGs as well.  or goalies who let in an easy goal.

poor throw-ins.

christ. I might spin a job out of this.  I could be a consultant to a top-level team.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13420 on: May 30, 2022, 03:21:35 pm »
If you want to read a bad take, click on the Keita thread. It's inevitable.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13421 on: May 30, 2022, 03:45:39 pm »
drastic times, drastic measures.

could extend it to defenders who score OGs as well.  or goalies who let in an easy goal.

poor throw-ins.

christ. I might spin a job out of this.  I could be a consultant to a top-level team.

At the moment you're the only person advocating this and quite frankly I wouldn't waste your time. I don't think it will catch on. Be worrying if it did!

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13422 on: May 30, 2022, 05:13:28 pm »
At the moment you're the only person advocating this and quite frankly I wouldn't waste your time. I don't think it will catch on. Be worrying if it did!

dear me .....  :)  ::)

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #13423 on: May 30, 2022, 06:08:48 pm »
This thread is unparalleled in just bringing out the worst of RAWK.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13424 on: May 30, 2022, 06:15:06 pm »
This thread is unparalleled in just bringing out the worst of RAWK.

That's not quite true. I've seen your name in other threads.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #13425 on: May 30, 2022, 06:28:10 pm »
That's not quite true. I've seen your name in other threads.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #13426 on: May 30, 2022, 08:43:11 pm »
I watched 'the shot' a couple of hours ago. First time I'd saw it since it happened.

I just laughed at it to be honest. It was strangely therapeutic.

No sour feelings about it. It was just one of 'those' nights. Scored about 150 goals this season but you draw a blank in the Champions League final. It's fucking annoying but it happens.

I think Keita's left himself something to build on next season. He has been and can continue to be a valuable member of the midfield, even if he won't be playing every week.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and much more successful football side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13427 on: May 31, 2022, 08:20:59 am »
I watched 'the shot' a couple of hours ago. First time I'd saw it since it happened.

I just laughed at it to be honest. It was strangely therapeutic.

No sour feelings about it. It was just one of 'those' nights. Scored about 150 goals this season but you draw a blank in the Champions League final. It's fucking annoying but it happens.

I think Keita's left himself something to build on next season. He has been and can continue to be a valuable member of the midfield, even if he won't be playing every week.

With 5 subs next season, I think Keita will play every week (fitness permitted) he just won't start every week nor should he. I don't think any of the midfielders should start every week this will keep them fresh for the run-in.

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13428 on: May 31, 2022, 08:25:37 am »
With 5 subs next season, I think Keita will play every week (fitness permitted) he just won't start every week nor should he. I don't think any of the midfielders should start every week this will keep them fresh for the run-in.
Fabinho Probably the most consistent starter, I do expect with 5 sub he may go 60/30(Or 75/15) with Henderson more at times. He did look a little tired in the run in where a game where he could have been benched for 60 or rested would have been helpful.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13429 on: May 31, 2022, 08:35:48 am »
Fabinho Probably the most consistent starter, I do expect with 5 sub he may go 60/30(Or 75/15) with Henderson more at times. He did look a little tired in the run in where a game where he could have been benched for 60 or rested would have been helpful.

I think the 5 sub rule is an opportunity to rotate more providing the quality of the team doesn't suffer. There were too many players that looked dead on their feet. Kostas, for example could and should have played more. The hard leg work is mostly in midfield and fullback so we need to rotate more or risk players breaking down or being knackered deep into the season.

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13430 on: May 31, 2022, 08:39:02 am »
I think the 5 sub rule is an opportunity to rotate more providing the quality of the team doesn't suffer. There were too many players that looked dead on their feet. Kostas, for example could and should have played more. The hard leg work is mostly in midfield and fullback so we need to rotate more or risk players breaking down or being knackered deep into the season.
Yea Agreed. I Fabinho is one who minutes I dont think will drop off as much. I think MF, Full backs and forwards are most likely to be subbed. 2 or 3 MF, 1 or 2 Forwards and either 0 or 1 Full Back. Should help keep everybody Fresher, Klopp and the medical team has a done a great job with it this year, would expect it too continue

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #13431 on: May 31, 2022, 09:06:14 am »
Naby has definitely being better this season. And he has had some very good games. But over 4 years I am just not sure he is good enough (I know injuries have played a part in that). We are still so reliant on goals from our attack and we need more from our midfield. Fabinho for me is always a definite starter. Then I would say Henderson. After that it is a toss up between the rest and I know some will shit the bed but I include Thiago in that.

I would have had wijnaldum over the others as he was consistent and did generally turn up in the big games. More importantly though we need some youth and energy in our midfield and more importantly goals, unless the likes of jones or elliott can step up then we need to look elsewhere for now.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #13432 on: May 31, 2022, 09:37:41 am »
Naby has definitely being better this season. And he has had some very good games. But over 4 years I am just not sure he is good enough (I know injuries have played a part in that). We are still so reliant on goals from our attack and we need more from our midfield. Fabinho for me is always a definite starter. Then I would say Henderson. After that it is a toss up between the rest and I know some will shit the bed but I include Thiago in that.

I would have had wijnaldum over the others as he was consistent and did generally turn up in the big games. More importantly though we need some youth and energy in our midfield and more importantly goals, unless the likes of jones or elliott can step up then we need to look elsewhere for now.

When he's played he's certainly been 'good enough' and he seems to finally be putting his injury problems behind him.

The problem will always be that a lot of fans expected a generational midfielder and because he hasn't been that, constantly throw the 'we didnt get what we thought we were getting' at him. Of course with no clue as to what we actually thought we were getting.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 10:14:53 am by El Lobo »
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13433 on: May 31, 2022, 09:41:25 am »

That's by design. In fact, earlier in the season when we were committing more midfielders to the attack we started leaking goals.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #13434 on: May 31, 2022, 10:18:10 am »

We go again.

Agreed.
"Donít criticize what you donít understand, son. You never walked in that manís shoes."

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13435 on: May 31, 2022, 12:01:57 pm »
Must be a relief to have found something else to not rate him at Ö did you just realize this or when you were banging on about him not getting stuck in a bit ago were you holding it in reserve ?
Actually surprised you havenít flip flopped backed to the Henderson bashing after this thread didnít work out for you and after we failed to win a big game where he was captain Ö you couldíve dusted off a few of your Ďnot really a liverpool playerí vibes about the captain but I guess Keita remains an easier target

That said Keita was good when he came on last night .. shouldíve been on 10/15 minutes sooner - had a great season, looking froward to watching him next year

You say Keita has had a great season, my God Jack, you are very easily pleased. I can think of nearly all of our team, squad having great seasons including Henderson who I think has had his best overall. The Ox and Keita for me have been average spread over the whole season.
Football is a game of opinions and it doesn't mean I am right, if you think Keita has had a great season it is up to you.
I just want the very best for Liverpool and Keita for me is a 6 outa 10 player..

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #13436 on: May 31, 2022, 12:41:14 pm »

The problem will always be that a lot of fans expected a generational midfielder and because he hasn't been that, constantly throw the 'we didnt get what we thought we were getting' at him. Of course with no clue as to what we actually thought we were getting.

In all honesty I had no idea about Naby before he came. I know a lot of people on here were buzzing about us signing him but I will be honest in saying I had never heard of him, and that's not a criticism, I just don't watch much other football apart from us. I have seen at times a good player but overall I have seen a player injured a lot. He has had some good games but I always feel he is one game away from being injured again. At times you would accept that if someone is exceptional but I just don't see it. Like I said he has had good games and some which are just ok.

I think we will see teams park the bus a lot more next season. Would rather get another midfielder who is a genuine goal threat. No idea who that is as I don't watch enough other teams. Is Bellingham that sort of player?
alf a pound of braeburns!

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13437 on: May 31, 2022, 01:06:27 pm »
So people are now using Henderson's form as a stick to beat Naby with? As if Hendo didn't balloon just as many long shots over the bar, seemingly without ever getting one in. I also seem to remember a big groundswell on here midway through the season where multiple people were suggesting Hendo wasn't good enough to play in an advanced midfield role and should be relegated to a Fabinho back up.

The fact is we have four top midfielders who can each offer something different as well as a couple of young prospects with real promise and a couple of experienced players who can do a job. We could do with an extra one simply because of the age profile but it isn't Keita's fault we didn't win the league or the CL, he's had a very good season all in all. He hasn't been great every game, no one has. But he's the best midfield tackler and he has the best goals return per minute - he certainly isn't a weak link.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13438 on: May 31, 2022, 04:17:09 pm »
Being linked with move to PSG maybe pinch of salt job here but if they did bid £40m id take it.

Im not desperate to see him leave us but everyone has a price and £40m with one year left that is a good offer.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #13439 on: May 31, 2022, 04:21:44 pm »
Being linked with move to PSG maybe pinch of salt job here but if they did bid £40m id take it.

Im not desperate to see him leave us but everyone has a price and £40m with one year left that is a good offer.

But itís only 1 year left on his contract if you canít reach an agreement on his contract extension.

If Keita wants to extend then the real Q is can you find a better player for the approximate value (fee + wages) of 40M + Keitaís next contract value.

If not then you should just extend Keita if possible. If Keita canít be extended then the Ď40M offer for a player with 1 year on his contractí comes into play
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.