Author Topic: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *  (Read 2819629 times)

Offline Waterpistol

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World
« Reply #22720 on: June 5, 2022, 05:07:47 pm »
The wage structure is sort of made up though (5 years ago we’d never paid a player over 150k a week then we gave Salah 200k a week plus bonuses… we’d never given a longer term contract to an older player - then we did for Henderson) and the owners can do what they like and have a lot of financial flexibility at the moment

I think Salah will leave on a free but I don’t think it’s totally certain
We can’t pay Salahs ‘market rate’ so it’s always depended on a compromise but there are clear reasons why we’d make an exception in his case - it would clearly be a one off. If it’s true he only wants 2 more years that changes my pervious opinion somewhat and I do think a deal can be done (especially with mane resolved)
Clearly if he wants 4 years at 20 million a year it’s not happening here but if he’ll compromise it’s possible

Exactly la. 'Wage structure' is an ever evolving thing. If reports are right, he isn't even asking for market rate (I think I used that term earlier, by mistake). Presuming Fenway see sense and offer him what he's asking for, no player can have the cheek to ask for parity with Mo unless they're also bagging a goal/assist per game ratio over 4 years like he has for us.

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22721 on: June 5, 2022, 05:23:33 pm »
Suggestions that we get rid of 'deadwood' to pay for Salah is nonsense, as today you lose Origi and Ox to keep Mo, then you get rid of Naby to keep Mane and before long your squad is too small to cope and you're even more reliant on older players who could fall off a cliff at any time.
The Barca approach. In order to pay Messi they ended up with a team of donkeys with no real value, but because they were Barca they still had to pay them decent wages.

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22722 on: June 6, 2022, 07:36:00 am »
See my post above. Salah isn't asking for 7 figures a week. Salah is the star in this team, when any other player contributes like he does then they have an argument for getting what he earns. It's the same at all clubs.

Nope.

The team of players and the coaching staff and the fans are the star of this team.

For some reason, people think football is like men's singles tennis. Or a lounge act in Vegas.  Some kind of one-man show.

Even people who run clubs, whom you would presume should know better, get caught in the hype and frenzy over money that has descended on football. 

So year after year you have the predictable, toxic situations, created over and over again, with a club desperately trying to get rid of a player on huge wages who has become a distraction and albatross around their necks.

Ozill at Arsenal
Sanchez at United
Ronaldo at Juventus
Pogba at United
Bale at Real
De Jong at Barcelona
Neymar at PSG
Etc
Etc
Etc

FSG need to "give him what he wants" like they need a hole in the head.  Sure way to ruin the club.

Or do you think Sadio Mane's behaviour has nothing to do with the kind of money that he saw Salah demanding from LFC?
« Last Edit: June 6, 2022, 07:42:50 am by FLRed67 »

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #22723 on: June 6, 2022, 07:52:50 am »
Exactly la. 'Wage structure' is an ever evolving thing. If reports are right, he isn't even asking for market rate (I think I used that term earlier, by mistake). Presuming Fenway see sense and offer him what he's asking for, no player can have the cheek to ask for parity with Mo unless they're also bagging a goal/assist per game ratio over 4 years like he has for us.

Wage structures are evolving not revolutionizing. For a club that spends within its means that's the most important thing. For others, who borrow against their future, it creates a market bubble. And for those for whom money is no object, it's irrelevant. At the end of the day, the oil-rich clubs will still be around until we use petrol, the speculators will disappear after the market bubble bursts, and we will remain stable and steady. At this very moment, there is no club simultaneously successful and better run than Liverpool. Sure, it hurts that one point difference over four seasons from City resulted in 3 to 1 titles, but name another club that can stand proud of what they have achieved without financial doping.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #22724 on: June 6, 2022, 09:06:37 am »
"Wage structure" is just a way to say that we have to consider what the other players in the team earn. Sure, Salah compares himself to what Mbappe earns, but players like VVD and Trent also look at Salah's wages. We can give Salah the highest wages, but the difference to other top players can't be too big. Otherwise they will get rightly angry and look for a pay increase as well, and we cant afford to pay 10 players 400 k/week.

Regarding ManU wages, they should be used examples for caution, not as a point of reference. They pay insane wages for average players, and that is precisely why they are so bad. They would pay 200 k/w for someone at the level of Ox, but that doesn't mean that we should do it.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22725 on: June 6, 2022, 10:20:51 am »
"Wage structure" is just a way to say that we have to consider what the other players in the team earn. Sure, Salah compares himself to what Mbappe earns, but players like VVD and Trent also look at Salah's wages. We can give Salah the highest wages, but the difference to other top players can't be too big. Otherwise they will get rightly angry and look for a pay increase as well, and we cant afford to pay 10 players 400 k/week.

Regarding ManU wages, they should be used examples for caution, not as a point of reference. They pay insane wages for average players, and that is precisely why they are so bad. They would pay 200 k/w for someone at the level of Ox, but that doesn't mean that we should do it.

That's it in a nutshell.

As for the Mbappe wages, as I've seen Barney say last week, no-one can or should look at his wages as a reflection of what clubs should pay, as PSG don't pay them, the country/state of Qatar pay them. Same as City, if you remove their sponsorship deals where the money comes from Abu Dhabi itself, then they cannot afford to pay their own wage bill.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #22726 on: June 6, 2022, 11:15:39 am »
We need this on a banner at the end of every season to remind the players of that. A salary cap could save football although a little too late for that now

Teams like City, PSG and soon Newcastle would find a way round that with their "ambassadorial duties" for these countries...

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
  • Doubters into believers
« Reply #22727 on: June 6, 2022, 11:25:38 am »
Anyone got an accurate up-to-date list of our player wage structure for reference?

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22728 on: June 6, 2022, 01:28:42 pm »
Egypt boss claims injured Salah turned down scan to play

Egypt manager Ehab Galal has reportedly claimed that Mohammed Salah played through injury in their 1-0 win over Guinea, having rejected Liverpool’s offer of a scan.

The Reds forward captained his country to a 1-0 win over Guinea in the opening match of their qualifying campaign for next year's Africa Cup of Nations.

"Salah was suffering from an injury and played through it," Egypt boss Galal said after the game.

"He rejected Liverpool's request for an X-ray before the game and will now undergo it."
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22729 on: June 6, 2022, 01:50:48 pm »
Anyone got an accurate up-to-date list of our player wage structure for reference?

Impossible

It's never out there,  the only ones you ever see reported appear to be wrong because we are apparently big on achievement based bonuses which never seem to be listed. If you have a look for our players wages you have the likes of Mane on 100k and top earners Salah and Van Dijk on around 200k - 220k which doesn't line up with the reports of us having one of the largest wage bills. It's part of the reason these 'breaking the wage bill' discussions are tough because no one actually knows what our top earners are currently on, it's not out there to use as a reference point

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #22730 on: June 6, 2022, 02:48:15 pm »

Its so bizarre that the manager and supporters don't like international football
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #22731 on: June 6, 2022, 03:07:07 pm »
Like for like, it seems almost impossible to replace Salah with a younger player who does what he does, strongly left-footed and cutting in from the right. Certainly, with his level of output.

I guess you'd buy a lesser player operating on the right and maybe skew the attack towards a more genuine, tall number 9 and change our emphasis a little bit.

We won't pay £400k a week or similar for Salah I don't think, so you probably start making moves this summer for the above.

Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22732 on: June 6, 2022, 03:17:18 pm »

Shame to hear. Should really be better regulation of how International squads handle players under contract. Granted clubs work to their own vested interests, but knowing more about injuries and risks of injuries is mutually beneficial and ultimately benefits the player over their career.

This isn't as bad as Virgil voluntarily playing a dumb friendly against Germany while we were in the 'every game is a cup final' stage of the season, but it's up there.

I've always been shocked players don't collectivise to protect themselves against dodgy international footnall administrators (eg Cameroon bullying Matip, the mathc fixing manager of Guinea forcing him to try to play through injury, Gerrard being forced to travel to England HQ to prove his injury was real and Sturridge deliberately being harmed by Hodgson).

I'm also shocked that clubs don't collectivise to try to better protect their player's - their main financial assets - from international football. These guys get paid obscene amounts of money to play football for Liverpool - why do they have no say in whether to enforce resting (as opposed to playing meaningless friendlies) or enforce harm/risk reduction policies when players go away on international duty. Should be written in his mega contract that Salah has to have that scan.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #22733 on: June 6, 2022, 03:24:41 pm »
Shame to hear. Should really be better regulation of how International squads handle players under contract. Granted clubs work to their own vested interests, but knowing more about injuries and risks of injuries is mutually beneficial and ultimately benefits the player over their career.

This isn't as bad as Virgil voluntarily playing a dumb friendly against Germany while we were in the 'every game is a cup final' stage of the season, but it's up there.

I've always been shocked players don't collectivise to protect themselves against dodgy international footnall administrators (eg Cameroon bullying Matip, the mathc fixing manager of Guinea forcing him to try to play through injury, Gerrard being forced to travel to England HQ to prove his injury was real and Sturridge deliberately being harmed by Hodgson).

I'm also shocked that clubs don't collectivise to try to better protect their player's - their main financial assets - from international football. These guys get paid obscene amounts of money to play football for Liverpool - why do they have no say in whether to enforce resting (as opposed to playing meaningless friendlies) or enforce harm/risk reduction policies when players go away on international duty. Should be written in his mega contract that Salah has to have that scan.

I think clubs need to take FIFA on, as they are the [corrupt] organisation pushing for more and more international football, and angling for international football to be seen as the football pinnacle and not clubs.

UEFA have their own agenda, too.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22734 on: June 6, 2022, 05:08:21 pm »
Like for like, it seems almost impossible to replace Salah with a younger player who does what he does, strongly left-footed and cutting in from the right. Certainly, with his level of output.

I guess you'd buy a lesser player operating on the right and maybe skew the attack towards a more genuine, tall number 9 and change our emphasis a little bit.

We won't pay £400k a week or similar for Salah I don't think, so you probably start making moves this summer for the above.

I guess we have to do what Bayern did after Robben
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22735 on: June 6, 2022, 05:17:05 pm »
I guess we have to do what Bayern did after Robben

Walk the league?

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22736 on: June 6, 2022, 05:57:02 pm »
walk the moon?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #22737 on: June 6, 2022, 05:58:02 pm »
walk the dinosaur?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22738 on: June 6, 2022, 06:05:17 pm »
walk the plank?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22739 on: June 6, 2022, 06:11:23 pm »
Walk like an Egyptian?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22740 on: June 6, 2022, 07:36:26 pm »

The whole thing is that he actually leaves the camp and get rested while the new NT manager can save face and say that Salah is not playing because he's injured. There is still a lot of backlash from the fans on him after failing to win the AFCON and qualifying to the WC.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline M4tt

• Anny Roader
« Reply #22741 on: June 6, 2022, 08:53:56 pm »
I think we need to get used to the business model that has clearly been set out. Get the prime years of some players that our world class human and manager Klopp can make people, and when they hit a certain age, recycle them. I disagree with it, but it is what it is. The most important person for me is Klopp.

Salah could go down as our best ever player but he's in danger of ruining his legacy imo with the way his contract is being addressed with his agent. Mane's recent comments are also putting a bit of a tarnish on what has been a flawless reputation.

Look at how Origi and Milner have conducted themselves. Bona fide Liverpool legends. Depending on how Salah and Mane conduct themselves going forwards could really alter how our fan base views their legacies over time.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22742 on: June 6, 2022, 08:56:04 pm »
Walk the league?

I was thinking about adapting to a right footed right winger. I wonder if that change would require other changes, like a more traditional #9?

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #22743 on: June 6, 2022, 09:44:53 pm »
Mohamed Salah: Egypt forward rejected Liverpool request for a pre-match injury scan (bbc)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61713141
"Salahs in here......"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22744 on: June 6, 2022, 09:46:32 pm »
Not great that, rejecting the clubs requests.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22745 on: June 6, 2022, 09:56:25 pm »
Mohamed Salah: Egypt forward rejected Liverpool request for a pre-match injury scan (bbc)

Contrast with this:

Quote from: campioni on June  1, 2022, 03:01:00 pm

Thiago has withdrawn from the Spain squad due to a muscular injury, according to Spanish press. He won't feature in any of the four Nations League games.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22746 on: June 6, 2022, 10:38:39 pm »

Any idea why he rejected that?

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22747 on: June 6, 2022, 10:38:59 pm »

Really bad form that. He needs to remember who pays his still very hefty wages.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Red1976

• Main Stander
« Reply #22748 on: June 6, 2022, 10:40:52 pm »
Salah can ask for what he wants but he wont necessarily get it. Salah has played in 3 European cup finals and in neither has he really been outstanding. Most of the big clubs would look at things like that and be wary of paying the big bucks. I read that Barcelona want Salah on a free transfer next season, and I guess some of that is to do with them thinking that Salah is worth a punt on a big wage without having to pay a big transfer fee -even if they did not have money worries.  PSG and Real Madrid are looking else where (e.g. Mbappe) and Man City prefer Haaland and would need to get rid of several big earners to afford Salah (e.g. Sterling; Gabriel Jesus), without FFP breathing down their necks again.

The most likely scenario is that Salah says another season and leaves on a free transfer.
« Last Edit: June 6, 2022, 10:43:04 pm by Red1976 »

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22749 on: June 6, 2022, 11:06:41 pm »
I wouldn’t pay too much attention to what the Egypt coach says, we don’t know the ins and outs of the story and can trust the coach and Salahs agent to twist it in a way to drum up some controversy.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #22750 on: June 6, 2022, 11:46:00 pm »
I wouldn’t pay too much attention to what the Egypt coach says, we don’t know the ins and outs of the story and can trust the coach and Salahs agent to twist it in a way to drum up some controversy.

It could be something simple like:

Fitness coach: "Hey Mo, how's the ankle? Do you think we'd better get it scanned?"

Salah "no, it feels good today, I don't think we need to do a scan. Let's check it after the Egypt game if it flares up again".

= Salah refuses scan

Probably nothing like as bad as it sounds.

Offline Waterpistol

• Main Stander
« Reply #22751 on: June 7, 2022, 08:41:10 am »
Nope.

The team of players and the coaching staff and the fans are the star of this team.

For some reason, people think football is like men's singles tennis. Or a lounge act in Vegas.  Some kind of one-man show.

Even people who run clubs, whom you would presume should know better, get caught in the hype and frenzy over money that has descended on football. 

So year after year you have the predictable, toxic situations, created over and over again, with a club desperately trying to get rid of a player on huge wages who has become a distraction and albatross around their necks.

Ozill at Arsenal
Sanchez at United
Ronaldo at Juventus
Pogba at United
Bale at Real
De Jong at Barcelona
Neymar at PSG
Etc
Etc
Etc

FSG need to "give him what he wants" like they need a hole in the head.  Sure way to ruin the club.

Or do you think Sadio Mane's behaviour has nothing to do with the kind of money that he saw Salah demanding from LFC?

;D

Salah is clearly the star of this team. He's the star of the PL. No one is close to his goal/assist record for us since 2018.

He's asking for similar to what other top players earn in the PL if reports are right.... 400k pw. He's clearly worth that.

We'd be insane if he wanted to earn what PSG pay out to their stars. But he isn't asking for those levels.

It's ridiculous to say he isn't the star of the team. We can't big him up as the best player in the world all season and then try and down play his worth/standing. Sometimes the club get it right, sometimes they get it wrong.

Mane isn't worth parity with Salah, because he doesn't hit the same numbers. You tell Mane this and offer him an increase but not the same terms as Mo. If he isn't happy then you find a solution. The same goes for anyone else unless they too start bagging 45 goals/assists seasons. What a lovely problem to have at that point though.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22752 on: June 7, 2022, 09:55:33 am »
We've a year of these stories and speculations, can't wait.

We need to force his hand but it's not Klopp's style, unless he signs i don't see this ending well.

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22753 on: June 7, 2022, 10:41:33 am »
If this is true we should be able to make some sort of complaint against Barcelona.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/mohamed-salah-liverpool-transfers-contract-27161150

Offline MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS
« Reply #22754 on: June 7, 2022, 10:43:18 am »
Feels like the beginning of the end. It’ll be a terrible shame if his time here becomes tainted to any degree.
"I was only in the game for the love of football -- and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22755 on: June 7, 2022, 10:51:51 am »
If this is true we should be able to make some sort of complaint against Barcelona.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/mohamed-salah-liverpool-transfers-contract-27161150

Nice weather, lots more in wages.

Shit team shit fans and rookie manager.

Pros snd cons.

Not much we can do if he doesnt want to stay

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22756 on: June 7, 2022, 10:55:21 am »
I wonder how many cautionary tales there need to be with Barca before they stop being able to attract top players :D Absolutely mental that the likes of Lewandowski and now apparently Mo are looking at them going 'Yeah that'll do me'

Offline anandg_lfc

• Anny Roader
« Reply #22757 on: June 7, 2022, 10:56:09 am »
There is nothing wrong in holding out for wages which is close to the market standard. Attackers generally tend to get paid the highest.

We cannot match the insane wage bills of Psg, city, united or madrid but there should atleast be a proper effort to retain our best attacking player who wants to stay. I believe Salah would accept something in the range that Kane is currently getting.   

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22758 on: June 7, 2022, 11:06:48 am »
Wonder would the useless c*nts over at UEFA actually do anything if someone presented them with proof that a player has been illegally approached.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22759 on: June 7, 2022, 11:20:58 am »
There is nothing wrong in holding out for wages which is close to the market standard. Attackers generally tend to get paid the highest.

We cannot match the insane wage bills of Psg, city, united or madrid but there should atleast be a proper effort to retain our best attacking player who wants to stay. I believe Salah would accept something in the range that Kane is currently getting.   

£1 million a month plus bonuses not enough to live on then?