Author Topic: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *  (Read 2851114 times)

Offline fallenhd

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World
« Reply #24160 on: September 3, 2022, 03:21:37 pm »
Think we need to review with this right-sided triangle we've been doing to get trent more Central. We're doing it to be more unpredictable. Problem is it hasn't been working going back to last season. When Henderson plays there he isn't good with the ball at this feet and elliot is close to Salah in terms of what he want to do (cut in on his left) so it's a bit predictable. The only time it works well is with Keita because he can progress the ball forward which draws players out of position. We may need to go back with our three attackers playing closer together so they can interchange and Robertson and Trent playing high and providing the width.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24161 on: September 3, 2022, 03:23:43 pm »
Pleeeease get him closer to the goal
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #24162 on: September 3, 2022, 03:25:04 pm »
He is creating an insane amount of chances, more than bloody De Bruyne. Its just we have decided thats what we want him to do.
Indeed, and if we persist with that then we'll need others to do the scoring from the chances that he will create, and he will still be a highly valuable part of the team.

But it might take time to click or for us to accept it ain't working and row back to the tried and tested

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Ste08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24163 on: September 3, 2022, 03:25:07 pm »
I don’t understand the tactic, he used to have the most touches in the box and now hes rarely ever in the box.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24164 on: September 3, 2022, 03:32:14 pm »
Agree with what others have been saying about how Elliott’s role has impacted Mo’s. Along with having a traditional striker in Nunez he’s no longer operating in the same space as he used to be. Perhaps Elliott needs to move more centrally and we push the other midfielder back to create a double pivot.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24165 on: September 3, 2022, 03:45:12 pm »
It's not purely Elliot, we've been doing this sort of thing for quite a long time now. The RCM pushed high, Salah staying wide.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24166 on: September 3, 2022, 03:46:01 pm »
It's not purely Elliot, we've been doing this sort of thing for quite a long time now. The RCM pushed high, Salah staying wide.

Yep, we have been doing it win Henderson as well.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24167 on: September 3, 2022, 04:03:50 pm »
Klopp was asked in his presser about Mo playing out so wide, and he basically said he wasn't playing any wider than previous seasons.

I think it's just a case of him not having enough reasons/opportunities to come in side more often.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2022, 04:05:22 pm by kennedy81 »

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #24168 on: September 3, 2022, 04:06:56 pm »
Klopp was asked in his presser about Mo playing out so wide, and he basically said he wasn't playing any wider than previous seasons.
Well yes, technically that's true as if he were any wider he'd be off the pitch. But he seems to be spending much of his time there and no longer coming into play close to the other attackers in goal-scoring positions.

Unless we're all imagining it.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24169 on: September 3, 2022, 04:10:37 pm »
I don’t understand the tactic, he used to have the most touches in the box and now hes rarely ever in the box.
My wild theory is he's being told to stay wide to avoid creating space for their LB to have a run at AA who is struggling more than anyone else right now ...which is why he's getting subbed.  The lad will be crawling around the pitch soon.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24170 on: September 3, 2022, 07:58:40 pm »

I think it's just a case of him not having enough reasons/opportunities to come in side more often.
His heat maps since the AFCONs when we shifted Mane central tends to completely disagree with that.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline markiv

• Main Stander
« Reply #24171 on: September 3, 2022, 08:32:42 pm »
I think Mo has lost a yard of pace or so and that's one of the main reasons he's been a bit wider this season. In previous season, he would come centrally through 2 ways - 1. Take on the left back and move centrally towards the goal. 2. Make runs through the middle between the left back and central defender.

He hasn't been doing either of it for a while now, since he's lost a hit of pace and hence lost of bit of confidence in taking on his man or making those runs. Although he's got a couple of assists and goals this season, he really hasn't been very involved in and around the box. Now that we have Jota back, It might be worth giving him a hit of a break from the starting 11 and bringing him on against tired defender to get his confidence going.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #24172 on: September 3, 2022, 08:34:33 pm »
Fatcontractitis.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24173 on: September 3, 2022, 08:34:36 pm »
I think Mo has lost a yard of pace or so and that's one of the main reasons he's been a bit wider this season. In previous season, he would come centrally through 2 ways - 1. Take on the left back and move centrally towards the goal. 2. Make runs through the middle between the left back and central defender.

He hasn't been doing either of it for a while now, since he's lost a hit of pace and hence lost of bit of confidence in taking on his man or making those runs. Although he's got a couple of assists and goals this season, he really hasn't been very involved in and around the box. Now that we have Jota back, It might be worth giving him a hit of a break from the starting 11 and bringing him on against tired defender to get his confidence going.

The loss of pace thing is crazy and I find very lazy. Form drops = loss of pace. Mane went 18 months with people saying he has lost pace.

Also he is very involved, he is the highest chance creator in the league. He just isnt getting into the box enough.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #24174 on: September 3, 2022, 08:46:05 pm »

I think most of that is reasonable and what’s undeniable is that for much of the game today and in earlier games, he has been a pale shadow of his best.

Furthermore he is guilty of losing possession on numerous occasions - often accompanied by a big smile suggesting he believes he’s been fouled. Sometimes that’s true, and because he doesn’t go down theatrically (unlike that Princess Di tribute act in blue😡) he gets fewer free kicks than he’s entitled to.

Even so, it’s increasingly apparent to my eyes that his inability to retain possession is often the trigger for opposition’s counter attacks. I really hope he regains some form - at present he’s barely worth his place, as counterintuitive as that sounds.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24175 on: September 3, 2022, 08:47:18 pm »
I think most of that is reasonable and what’s undeniable is that for much of the game today and in earlier games, he has been a pale shadow of his best.

Furthermore he is guilty of losing possession on numerous occasions - often accompanied by a big smile suggesting he believes he’s been fouled. Sometimes that’s true, and because he doesn’t go down theatrically (unlike that Princess Di tribute act in blue😡) he gets fewer free kicks than he’s entitled to.

Even so, it’s increasingly apparent to my eyes that his inability to retain possession is often the trigger for opposition’s counter attacks. I really hope he regains some form - at present he’s barely worth his place, as counterintuitive as that sounds.

He is our most creative player most of the time and this season. Fuck knows how we are scoring without him.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #24176 on: September 3, 2022, 08:54:36 pm »
He is our most creative player most of the time and this season. Fuck knows how we are scoring without him.

The stats say so. The eye test - for me - sees something very different. Some folk ‘dine out’ on stats. I’m old and distrustful of them as the principal means of judging performance - particularly when it’s counter to what my eyes and instincts tell me.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24177 on: September 3, 2022, 08:59:49 pm »
I was really disappointed that he chose to shoot when he could have chosen to slip Diaz through one-on-one late on. That was our best chance IMO because Diaz would have had time to finish it. Mo is a freak statistically. That's why he's one of the best in the world. He just tends to get frustrated and take shots when he's not scoring. He needs a goal to relax.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24178 on: September 3, 2022, 09:00:53 pm »
The stats say so. The eye test - for me - sees something very different. Some folk ‘dine out’ on stats. I’m old and distrustful of them as the principal means of judging performance - particularly when it’s counter to what my eyes and instincts tell me.

He's been off his game since AFCON.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24179 on: September 3, 2022, 09:02:18 pm »
I was really disappointed that he chose to shoot when he could have chosen to slip Diaz through one-on-one late on. That was our best chance IMO because Diaz would have had time to finish it. Mo is a freak statistically. That's why he's one of the best in the world. He just tends to get frustrated and take shots when he's not scoring. He needs a goal to relax.

Has to back himself to score that though,it's how he has gotten to where he is & it's not like he is a selfish player.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24180 on: September 3, 2022, 09:04:22 pm »

Has to back himself to score that though,it's how he has gotten to where he is & it's not like he is a selfish player.
He always does and that's what makes him the player he is. That said, sometimes you have to recognise that a team mate is in a better position and pass.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24181 on: September 3, 2022, 09:05:24 pm »
He needs someone to play off him. For the first 10 minutes of today's game, there was a triangle of Elliot, Trent and Salah and it was working well when those other two were feeding him short balls into his feet...then Trent forgot he was in a football match and started playing like a twat by attempting comic book superman balls every time he had it. Klopp rightfully hooked him off. It's just unfortunate that our options were Milner, Milner and Milner to replace him.

Offline markiv

• Main Stander
« Reply #24182 on: September 3, 2022, 10:39:34 pm »
The loss of pace thing is crazy and I find very lazy. Form drops = loss of pace. Mane went 18 months with people saying he has lost pace.

Also he is very involved, he is the highest chance creator in the league. He just isnt getting into the box enough.

Both Mane and Salah have lost a bit of pace. They both used to constantly beat their man on the outside and then drive into the box and they both barely ever do that anymore. Mane reinvented himself through the middle in a role where pace wasn't as critical.

And I never said he wasn't creating chances but if you think hes anywhere close to being the threat that he was, then you're wayching a different game. He's staying a bit wider to be more involved in the game and that's making it much easier for defenders. We have always had a fairly narrow front 3 who were constantly interchanging and I don't see that anymore - except in the case of Diaz to tends to pop up in central positions.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24183 on: September 3, 2022, 10:46:01 pm »
Seems to me that he has swapped roles with Trent. Mo used to come inside and leave Trent the space to maraud into. Now it seems the other way round, with Trent increasingly coming inside. And Mo's not a traditional "take him on on the outside" winger.

And to be honest its not benefitting either of them, or the team.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24184 on: September 3, 2022, 10:50:54 pm »
Just seems so easily dispossessed by average defenders, absolute polar opposite to Diaz.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24185 on: September 3, 2022, 10:57:20 pm »
Seems to me that he has swapped roles with Trent. Mo used to come inside and leave Trent the space to maraud into. Now it seems the other way round, with Trent increasingly coming inside. And Mo's not a traditional "take him on on the outside" winger.

What I would ideally like to see is Salah positioned between the opposition full-back and the opposition left-sided central defender, not only dragging them inside and giving space for Trent and Elliott, but also just getting into more dangerous areas where he is more likely to win us football matches. Like you’ve said, it feels at times like Trent is the one ending up in said dangerous area, where I believe he is just not as likely to score a goal and not as likely to make the most of having possession in the tighter space.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24186 on: September 3, 2022, 11:03:19 pm »
Definitely not at his best. You'd like to hope we aren't compromising his strengths to cater to other players. Salah is who we should be building the team around if anything.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24187 on: September 3, 2022, 11:05:24 pm »
What I would ideally like to see is Salah positioned between the opposition full-back and the opposition left-sided central defender, not only dragging them inside and giving space for Trent and Elliott.

Same. It makes no sense to me that our best goal scorer is so far from goal all the time. He, Trent and Elliot seem to be in each others’ way. Elliot needs to move towards zone 14, Trent should stay wide and Salah should be between the penalty spot and right hand side of the box plus or minus 10 yards between the goal line and 40 yards out.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #24188 on: September 3, 2022, 11:08:18 pm »
Hope he gets rested on Wednesday. Seems to be trying too hard in the wrong areas where he’s getting limited joy. He’s played every minute of the last few games too so could do with at least the majority of the night off.

"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #24189 on: September 3, 2022, 11:11:52 pm »
Hope he gets rested on Wednesday. Seems to be trying too hard in the wrong areas where he’s getting limited joy. He’s played every minute of the last few games too so could do with at least the majority of the night off.

CL on Wednesday, not a chance of him being rested.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #24190 on: September 4, 2022, 01:53:15 am »
Its incredible to me how for such a great player, Mo is obnoxiously one footed. I feel like you almost need to be able to use your weaker foot to some sort of degree. There are moments where if he shifts to his right he has an opportunity for a clear shot on goal. This seems to be a thing common with left footed players, not so much right footed.
Seen us win everything

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24191 on: September 4, 2022, 01:53:37 am »

Not sure that is deliberate.  Trent is coming forward to support. The attack and those are the only spaces he's finding to run into.  Salah is staying wide a lot this season.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24192 on: September 4, 2022, 05:15:58 am »
Some of the posts are so blindingly stupid, I mean he’s literally the most creative player in the league, there’s no loss of form, there’s no loss of pace, he’s just having a normal start, he isn’t quite in Messi mode like at the start of last season but if he was like that all the time then I guess he would be Messi.

To think the player who has created the most chances in the league is even a hint of a problem is bleeding stupid, that’s the only way to describe it, Salah based on last 4 years is quite easily the best player in this club.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24193 on: September 4, 2022, 05:17:28 am »
Its incredible to me how for such a great player, Mo is obnoxiously one footed. I feel like you almost need to be able to use your weaker foot to some sort of degree. There are moments where if he shifts to his right he has an opportunity for a clear shot on goal. This seems to be a thing common with left footed players, not so much right footed.

https://youtu.be/Rd0TsrsGNQc

Online simplyred84

• Holding back the years, but unfortunately not holding back the nonsense
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #24194 on: September 4, 2022, 05:45:06 am »
https://youtu.be/Rd0TsrsGNQc

Great finish but the point still stands, Mo's right foot is not good enough. As he loses a certain amount speed to go on the outside, he'll have to adapt accordingly. That means working on his right foot to at least get a shot off instead of tirelessly get shots blocked as he tries to get in on his favoured left.

Generally speaking, I don't care how good a player's game is, there is absolutely no excuse for not being able to use both feet comfortably in the modern game. For context, Trent has worked on his left which has provided more options. De Bruyne uses both feet with ease. Even God and Barnes were not as painfully one-footed as Salah. Mane is another case in point.

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #24195 on: September 4, 2022, 03:17:18 pm »
Some of the posts are so blindingly stupid, I mean he’s literally the most creative player in the league, there’s no loss of form, there’s no loss of pace, he’s just having a normal start, he isn’t quite in Messi mode like at the start of last season but if he was like that all the time then I guess he would be Messi.

To think the player who has created the most chances in the league is even a hint of a problem is bleeding stupid, that’s the only way to describe it, Salah based on last 4 years is quite easily the best player in this club.
We're on page 606 so expect the shite spouted to get worse before it gets better ;)

Online Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #24196 on: September 4, 2022, 04:26:52 pm »

This x 100.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline NightDancer

• Anny Roader
  • Bleep Bloop Bleep Bloop
« Reply #24197 on: September 4, 2022, 04:46:03 pm »

Think that is fair.

He is simply having a good to very good start to the season in terms of his return and good to very good is about as bad as things get with Salah anyway when he is not in crazy levels form.

Six games into the season and he has 2 goals and 3 assists. Not to mention the chance creation rate you mentioned. That would put him on course for "only" a 13 goal and 19 assist league season or 32 goal involvements.

Last season he has 39 goal involvements (g+a) in the league and the season before that he had 28.

Zero worries about Salah. Guy will keep racking up the goals and assists this season and keep making chances for others along the way.
What's your pleasure?

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24198 on: September 4, 2022, 04:49:49 pm »
Great finish but the point still stands, Mo's right foot is not good enough. As he loses a certain amount speed to go on the outside, he'll have to adapt accordingly. That means working on his right foot to at least get a shot off instead of tirelessly get shots blocked as he tries to get in on his favoured left.

Generally speaking, I don't care how good a player's game is, there is absolutely no excuse for not being able to use both feet comfortably in the modern game. For context, Trent has worked on his left which has provided more options. De Bruyne uses both feet with ease. Even God and Barnes were not as painfully one-footed as Salah. Mane is another case in point.

Mo's right foot is as good as most left footed players could dream of. The guy is a phenomenon and I doubt many defenders would feel particularly comfortable keeping him on his right side.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #24199 on: September 4, 2022, 07:24:40 pm »

Agreed, he still looks sharp, incisive and creative when he gets the ball, IMO.

The issue is he's not getting the ball enough and he's definitely too wide - I'm fine with him providing width at times but Diaz should be doing the same on the other side to allow Salah to come in as well.