Author Topic: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez  (Read 616375 times)

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez
« Reply #5960 on: October 30, 2022, 05:26:14 pm »
He got pulled out wide early on to battle with Aaronson, who is far from a beefy forward, and he got turned twice, and both times he had a tug at his shirt.  Even when there was no real danger and he could've just got back goal side.

Just panics too much when he loses a battle and he needs to sort that out, the shirt grabbing has been a real issue for him in forever.

haha - I remember that. I was laughing only because it was absurd and not needed. He was almost hoping for a whistle because he was not sure what to do.

surprised he didn't get a card.

Offline StL-Dono

• Anny Roader
  • American Red since 1986
« Reply #5961 on: October 30, 2022, 05:48:56 pm »
Yeah, the blind pass back was inexcusable and clearly the goal was on him.

But, it was compounded by two bits of misfortune: Alisson's boots giving out and him slipping to the ground.  Not sure he gets to it even if he doesn't slip, but once he did, there was no chance.  Secondly, at the exact moment he plays that, VVD slips a look to his right to see where Robbo is.  Now, that in and of itself isn't so bad, but the timing of it was spectacularly bad.  He turns to his right just as Gomez slides a wild pass across the box and by the time VVD looked back, Rodrigo was two steps ahead of him. 

In other words, still a terrible play by Gomez, but he might have not been punished for it if those other two things don't also occur.  There is some truth to the idea that you make your own luck and if he doesn't make that pass at all, those other factors are non-issues.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5962 on: October 30, 2022, 05:58:37 pm »
Shocking. Just looks uncomfortable on the ball.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5963 on: October 30, 2022, 06:11:35 pm »
how can a player can go from universal acclaim one game (City) to basically playing like a Brainfart on Legs in each of the next 3?

Online Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5964 on: October 30, 2022, 06:27:25 pm »
how can a player can go from universal acclaim one game (City) to basically playing like a Brainfart on Legs in each of the next 3?

Ultimately, that's the difference between average/good players and the very best. I just think injuries have caught up with him and needs to keep a simple a lot more I don't think he has the highest football IQ so errors like yesterday will happen a lot with him. I think he will continue to be useful squad option but he just playing too much at the moment.   

Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #5965 on: October 30, 2022, 06:45:06 pm »

Because in the city game he could plant himself on the 18 yard line with a of teammates  round him

Offline tis the season to be jillc falafalalala la la la eh laaa

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #5966 on: October 30, 2022, 07:20:03 pm »
Some of these posts are just embarrassing.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline donnerz

• Main Stander
« Reply #5967 on: November 10, 2022, 11:50:58 am »
Rumours going round that Joey has made the WC squad - delighted for him, if true.

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5968 on: November 10, 2022, 11:53:35 am »
Rumours going round that Joey has made the WC squad - delighted for him, if true.

After all the bad luck he’s had it would be good for him. Just a pity it’s where it is.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5969 on: November 10, 2022, 11:54:36 am »
Not in according to Ornstein

Offline donnerz

• Main Stander
« Reply #5970 on: November 10, 2022, 11:55:34 am »
Not in according to Ornstein
Ah, would make sense given his form. But was hoping it would be true after the injuries he's had.

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5971 on: November 12, 2022, 08:33:07 pm »
Was at the scene of the crime for most of Southampton's chances - need Matip and Konate to stay fit post World Cup

Offline LFCJayy

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5972 on: November 12, 2022, 08:43:11 pm »
Was at the scene of the crime for most of Southampton's chances - need Matip and Konate to stay fit post World Cup
Feels harsh to say, but when he plays that right side is so vulnerable.
Nearly cost us against West Ham and did so against Forest and Leeds.

I think he will be going in the summer, decent player but probably needs a fresh start.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5973 on: November 12, 2022, 11:36:17 pm »
Feels harsh to say, but when he plays that right side is so vulnerable.
Nearly cost us against West Ham and did so against Forest and Leeds.

I think he will be going in the summer, decent player but probably needs a fresh start.
A good 4th choice. No?
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5974 on: November 12, 2022, 11:39:58 pm »
A good 4th choice. No?
Yes.
and CB's are very often "at the scene of the crime" when the oppo get a chance at goal.  by that logic we should bin Virgil as well.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5975 on: November 12, 2022, 11:46:29 pm »
Not sure he did much wrong. That half space on our right side has been targeted all season. I thought he had an okay game in all.

Offline UNO

• Kopite
« Reply #5976 on: November 12, 2022, 11:49:16 pm »
We gave out way too many big chances when he is playing. Thank god we have Ali today. We need to have a healthy Matip and Konate to have any chance to finish at top 4 this season.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5977 on: November 13, 2022, 12:09:21 am »
Think the biggest issue is the front of the CBs. Most times they fail to pick up the runners. Is it their job to do this?
It has happened umpteen times now this season. i suggest that this is due to the lesser pressing that we are employing nowadays.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline LFCJayy

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5978 on: November 13, 2022, 07:14:10 am »
A good 4th choice. No?
Yes but tbf to him, he’s better than that!
I like him but I really do think injury’s have or will catch up to him.
He’s missed so many games and being 4th choice won’t help him, get back into the rhythm of when he was one of the best in the 19/20 season.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5979 on: November 13, 2022, 10:44:55 am »
A good 4th choice. No?

Is probably right, although I saw a stat somewhere that suggested that he's made quite a few defensive errors compared to many other CBs in the league.

I dont think he starts for us with VVD, Matip and Ibou fit. If he's happy being a backup then pretty good I reckon. Wouldn't want him being first pick unless there's a significant improvement in form.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5980 on: November 13, 2022, 10:46:48 am »
Yes but tbf to him, he’s better than that!
I like him but I really do think injury’s have or will catch up to him.
He’s missed so many games and being 4th choice won’t help him, get back into the rhythm of when he was one of the best in the 19/20 season.

Think this is his level now. A decent squad player, very much doubt he will ever be first choice for us.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5981 on: November 13, 2022, 02:37:31 pm »
He is competing with Konate and Matip to partner VVD, even though VVD is still to reach peak form The problem for Gomez is that the other two are so solid, you don't expect them to makes mistakes, whereas with Gomez, no matter how well he might be playing, a mistake is never too far away. Konate and Matip are just so dependable compared to Gomez. I think he  would do well to move on and start a new chapter at a lesser club where the odd mistake is just part of the game and he won't be hung out to dry.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5982 on: November 13, 2022, 02:38:45 pm »
He is competing with Konate and Matip to partner VVD, even though VVD is still to reach peak form The problem for Gomez is that the other two are so solid, you don't expect them to makes mistakes, whereas with Gomez, no matter how well he might be playing, a mistake is never too far away. Konate and Matip are just so dependable compared to Gomez. I think he  would do well to move on and start a new chapter at a lesser club where the odd mistake is just part of the game. and he won't be hung out to dry.

He shouldn’t be considered for sale, he is relatively young and versatile. If we need the cash then maybe.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5983 on: November 13, 2022, 03:09:05 pm »
He shouldn’t be considered for sale, he is relatively young and versatile. If we need the cash then maybe.

He is relatively young and versatile but error prone and fourth choice; it would be in his own best interests to move on.

Offline rhysd

• Anny Roader
  • Igor
« Reply #5984 on: November 13, 2022, 08:57:06 pm »
He is relatively young and versatile but error prone and fourth choice; it would be in his own best interests to move on.

Don't think it's a good idea selling one of our 4 centrebacks and having to shell out for another, when we need heavy investment in the midfield and Virgil and Matip are both 32 at the end of the season.

Far more pressing issues than Gomez.
20 and 7

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #5985 on: December 1, 2022, 05:21:14 am »
Walks into every team above and below us except City. Looks shaky this year because a) the entire team does & b) he's coming back from massive injuries.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Online Al 666

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #5986 on: December 1, 2022, 07:54:50 am »
Walks into every team above and below us except City. Looks shaky this year because a) the entire team does & b) he's coming back from massive injuries.

I think he would struggle to start for Arsenal.
"We did what we did in the past with the way we did it; when there was money, we spent it, when there was no money, we didn’t spend". Jurgen Klopp May 22, 2021

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5987 on: December 1, 2022, 09:00:17 am »

Nah wouldn’t get in Arsenal, Chelsea or Utd’s team also.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5988 on: December 1, 2022, 09:15:57 am »
Nice to see the usual anti-Gomez tripe continuing. Some people have no ability to see the bigger picture in how players are forced to come back from continued injuries, strangely enough none of it surprises me. But as we've seen before people are so quick to write people off whatever the circumstances. Happily, Klopp is different to some on here. I am still confident that in the end Gomez will make some people feel very foolish given time.

Offline The G in Get Hard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5989 on: December 1, 2022, 09:19:07 am »
Nah wouldn’t get in Arsenal, Chelsea or Utd’s team also.
Ahead of Gabriel & White? Course he would.

Chelsea & United defence :lmao

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5990 on: December 1, 2022, 09:24:47 am »
It's not black and white, Gomez is still on his way back from some nasty injuries and it will take him a while to get fully back up to speed, he might be a little tentative on the pitch because of this.  But at the same time, he's made some absolute howlers, and he's not a young defender anymore, he's 25.

Konate has only just come back from an injury that kept him out for a while and he's younger than Gomez and hasn't been making the same sort of errors as he feels his way back into full fitness.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5991 on: December 1, 2022, 09:33:55 am »
It's not black and white, Gomez is still on his way back from some nasty injuries and it will take him a while to get fully back up to speed, he might be a little tentative on the pitch because of this.  But at the same time, he's made some absolute howlers, and he's not a young defender anymore, he's 25.

Konate has only just come back from an injury that kept him out for a while and he's younger than Gomez and hasn't been making the same sort of errors as he feels his way back into full fitness.

You can't compare Joe's injuries to Konates. Joe has had more than one serious injury and he was out for longer than Konate was, besides which you can't judge injuries in the same way as individuals are just that, different. This is what frustrates me about so much of what is said about Gomez. It has taken more experienced players longer to get back to form, than Joe. We need to see the bigger picture in terms of his recovery overall.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5992 on: December 1, 2022, 09:36:36 am »
You can't compare Joe's injuries to Konates. Joe has had more than one serious injury and he was out for longer than Konate was, besides which you can't judge injuries in the same way as individuals are just that, different. This is what frustrates me about so much of what is said about Gomez. It has taken more experienced players longer to get back to form, than Joe. We need to see the bigger picture in terms of his recovery overall.

There's a difference between not being at your peak after long injury (like we've seen with VVD), and what's going on with Gomez, who has made a lot of unforced and baffling errors this season.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5993 on: December 1, 2022, 09:42:10 am »
I think there is a difference in level between Konate and Gomez to be honest.

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
    • Some Film Reviews what I dun
« Reply #5994 on: December 1, 2022, 10:37:15 am »
I think there is a difference in level between Konate and Gomez to be honest.

About 2-3 inches is it?
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5995 on: December 1, 2022, 12:25:45 pm »
Aside from the injuries and the impact on him physically he's missed so much football at a really formative point of his career. He's a good 4th choice for us but I'd be looking to bring in another young top class CB who can compete to start once Matip leaves rather than someone lower down the pecking order who can slot into that 4th slot.

Offline JordanTremenderson

• Kopite
« Reply #5996 on: December 1, 2022, 01:44:32 pm »
I'm still a big fan of Gomez. Think he should be starting for England to be honest.

He can make the odd error, but I think Konate does this too.

I think Matip & VVD ar4e our best CBs.  Konate has so much potential to dominate in the future though, he has it all.

Gomez's record alongside VVD very very good. 

Offline Paisley79

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5997 on: December 1, 2022, 02:44:03 pm »
Gomez's form may have been patchy of late but can you name 3 better English centre backs than Gomez? There's an argument to be had for Stones I guess but other than that?

White? No. Coady? No. Dier? Not a chance. Maguire? Doesn't need answering.

And yet all at the World Cup & Joe isn't. It would be baffling if it wasn't for the fact Southgate & the FA are involved