Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1386410 times)

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #9880 on: September 26, 2022, 04:52:18 pm »
Southgate is yet another average England manager that does not get the best out of talented players and also sidelines them. Trent would probably start for Brazil, Holland, Belgium, Argentina and many more countries. You can go back to Stan bowels, Glenn hoddle, Chris Waddle, Matthew Le tissier, John Barnes, and many more that were not given enough time by England. I am English but I have no faith in Southgate at all. Totally inept and his in game management is terrible. Bottled a world cup semi final against Croatia, and bottled a euros final at Wembley against Italy. It looks like Trent won't be going to the world cup sadly, for him and the country. But at least he gets a well earned rest. I have always been club over country, and when England get knocked out of the world cup in Qatar, at least Trent won't be associated with the shit show that will follow. England have alot of good attacking talent being wasted again by a manager that got Middlesbrough relegated and also managed to get England relegated in the uefa nations league and England are only the 2nd team not to score from open play in that Mickley mouse tournament, the other country is San Marino, what a joke.
Is it really bottling when the other team is a lot better?

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9881 on: September 26, 2022, 04:54:22 pm »
A huge disappointment for Trent. Excellent for us. Nonetheless there’s no shame in being excluded from a cowardly Southgate team. Continue to play like that, they may not go very far in Qatar …
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9882 on: September 26, 2022, 05:01:26 pm »
Not really sure why this is such a big story - Southgate didn't fancy him when he was turning in world class performances every week, he's certainly not going to pick him when he's in arguably the poorest form of his career, and Trent will probably know deep down his current levels don't necessarily warrant it.

Honestly, as much as I obviously totally disagree with the Southgate's use of Trent more generally, there's zero merit in playing him right now. He's clearly not in Southgate's plans for the short term - giving him minutes in a dead-rubber against Germany clearly isn't going to suddenly change his mind, and it isn't going to help him learn anything useful for the World Cup, so it would purely be bowing to the media narrative when he's already made a decision. It'll be a shame for Trent if this is indicative of him being dropped from the WC squad altogether, but it was always a possibility and his standing with the NT clearly won't change until the manager does.

It feels like the media are piling onto this particular story because it's an easy narrative in light of a poor run of England performances when in terms of issues with this England side, I'd actually put the Trent vs James vs Walker debate pretty far down the list.

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What doesn't kill you, makes you...stranger!!!
« Reply #9883 on: September 26, 2022, 05:05:12 pm »

They were better because England under Southgate made them look better then they were. In the euros final we score after 2 minutes then did not have a shot on target for the rest of the game just defend and let Italy attack and attack, And against Croatia Southgate let modric run the 2nd half and so inept with no game management to counter it with quality players on the bench. So yes Southgate did bottle it twice in these tournaments.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9884 on: September 26, 2022, 05:16:38 pm »
https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/1574411091601510401

Ignoring Trent Alexander-Arnold is bizarre. Gareth Southgate has failed a special talent.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9885 on: September 26, 2022, 05:23:42 pm »
I quite like Southgate and think he has done a far better job with England than the vast majority of those who have gone before him, but I think he has made a rod for his own back with this right-back issue by not making a decision. His argument has been that all four offer different qualities, and he would be right. Walker's recovery pace makes him a great option defensively, plus he can play in a back three. James is not as quick as Walker, but shares the versatility while also being better going forward. Trippier has always performed well for England under Southgate and has been a solid option for him at left-back also. And Trent has been the best right-back in the world for the last three or four seasons.

There is an argument that Southgate can take three if a couple can play more than one position and there are two extra spots in the squad rather than the usual 23. But no one needs four. So if it's Trent who Southgate doesn't fancy then just stop selecting him. It can't be good for him at this point to just constantly be called up but hardly ever used.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9886 on: September 26, 2022, 05:42:23 pm »
Nothing wrong with Southgate as a person, and off the pitch he fits the England managers job perfectly. However, on the pitch he is failing badly, and to not manage to get anywhere near the best from Trent and give up on him shows a huge failing in his management. The incoming sack will be deserved.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9887 on: September 26, 2022, 05:46:05 pm »
Tomori is as strange. With James, England have a player who isn’t as good as Alexander-Arnold but is a very good player. England have no centre backs but somebody who is first choice for Milan and playing out of his mind can’t get a look in ahead of Harry Maguire.

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9888 on: September 26, 2022, 05:47:32 pm »
Trent at RWB, James at RCB and Bellingham at RCM should be the easiest parts of that team to pick. I'd actually be pretty interested in seeing Trent play regularly as a RWB in a system that utilises a back three.

Southgate just doesn't have it, and I'm glad that the public perception of him (media friends not withstanding) is starting to turn. Anything less than the QF in the World Cup and I think there might be very serious questions. The closest comparison for me is probably Ole and I actually think Ole's in-game management, which was arguably his biggest weakness, is better than Southgate's.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9889 on: September 26, 2022, 06:00:02 pm »
This motherfucker would make Sacchi's AC Milan side look average.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9890 on: September 26, 2022, 06:00:25 pm »
A few Journos rightfully calling Southgate out over this.

https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/1574411091601510401

I never thought I'd say this but can I hear more from Henry Winter please?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #9891 on: September 26, 2022, 06:01:34 pm »
I'm pretty confident not getting picked by a dinosaur and staying home with the likes of Robbo, Mo and Luis isn't going to cripple him.
You've got to stop looking it it from our point of view. One of the journos said he still turns up to every England training session even though he knows Southgate won't pick him. He cares, don't doubt that. He could easily jack it in and stick with us but he wants it all.

This is why I'm pissed off that he is treated this way, as it's Jurgen who has to pick up the pieces, as he had to last year.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #9892 on: September 26, 2022, 06:02:44 pm »
We should thanks Southgate for dropping Trent and also leboeuf's comments.

More rest and a good way for Trent to prove them wrong.
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9893 on: September 26, 2022, 06:03:44 pm »
To be honest I think it makes sense to leave him out given the style of football that Southgate wants to play. People ask why Maguire constantly gets picked but it's clear he's the kind of backs to the wall type player that tends to look alright in that England set up. He also is a threat from corners which was basically England's only weapon in the last world cup. Trent is one of very few genuinely world class players that England have but he's not going to shine in a defensive minded system.

He didn't fancy him for his team when he was putting in outstanding performances week in week out. He's not going to pick him while we are a shambles at the back and conceding for fun, often from Trent's side.

The best thing that can happen for Trent is Southgate getting sacked and someone with experience managing top players in a positive system coming in. He'll quickly become one of the first names on the team sheet. For now I just hope he doesn't let it get him down and that he can concentrate on improving his form for us, which I'm sure he will.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #9894 on: September 26, 2022, 06:12:23 pm »

Home advantage, 1-0 up, Italy are that good they couldn't qualify for the World Cup a few months later (and didn't qualify for the last one). Far from a vintage tournament winner.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 06:13:55 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9895 on: September 26, 2022, 06:35:20 pm »
Home advantage, 1-0 up, Italy are that good they couldn't qualify for the World Cup a few months later (and didn't qualify for the last one). Far from a vintage tournament winner.
But they were very good in the Euros. I watched all their games and they were a well-oiled machine that was levels above England. There is a reason why Southgate is the best manager in 60-odd years. Maybe other teams are just better? It can'tbe a coincidence.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 06:37:02 pm by MonsLibpool »

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9896 on: September 26, 2022, 06:38:32 pm »
Is it really though?  Trent obviously wants to go to the WC and this nonsense could undermine his confidence and influence his mental state.  He's playing under the best manager to work this through and I'd back him to come through a better and stronger player.  But who knows - we all have egos and most players are desperate to represent their country regardless of what we think as club fans.

He wouldn't have made it as an elite footballer feeling sorry for himself.

He'll get a rest during this bloodsoaked World Cup and attack the PL season with a chip on his shoulder.

Bad news for our rivals, great news for us.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9897 on: September 26, 2022, 06:40:40 pm »
I never thought I'd say this but can I hear more from Henry Winter please?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9898 on: September 26, 2022, 06:41:17 pm »
Henry Winter sums it up for all of us.  ;D

“He’s good enough for Klopp but not Southgate. Go figure.”

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9899 on: September 26, 2022, 06:48:09 pm »
Its almost like Southgate is asking to be sacked - the press will be brutal if we lose tonight.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #9900 on: September 26, 2022, 06:50:50 pm »
A few Journos rightfully calling Southgate out over this.

And Henry Winter is generally a twat on a number of levels...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9901 on: September 26, 2022, 06:54:53 pm »
Samie, no more Henry Winter please (I wasn't serious ;)), it's already too much from a know nothing know it all. Seems like it's easy right now to knock Southgate, no surprise Winter's got involved.

And Southgate's never seemed keen on Alexander-Arnold, he never picked him regularly when he was the best right back in the world, it's no surprise he's not picking him now when him and us aren't in the best of form. Great for us though.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9902 on: September 26, 2022, 06:55:07 pm »
Its almost like Southgate is asking to be sacked - the press will be brutal if we lose tonight.
He's lucky world cup is so close otherwise he should have gone already. He's peaked last summer.

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9903 on: September 26, 2022, 06:55:41 pm »

He has got it spot on. A player who’s played a pivotal role in a team that has won it all in the past few years isn’t trusted by Gareth f*cking Southgate. It’s an insult. He’s 23 years old and has won it all, lauds of individual awards. Teams of the year. Not to mention his assists. He’s never gave him any sort of recognition or praise. I don’t particularly follow England, but Trent is one of our own and I always want to see him do well whether it be for Liverpool or England. To leave him out of the 23 player squad tonight is an insult having not used him against Italy. The sooner Southgate fucks off, the better for Trent. Good enough for one of the worlds best but not for the most middle of the road managers known in football.

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #9904 on: September 26, 2022, 07:05:19 pm »
Tomori is as strange. With James, England have a player who isn’t as good as Alexander-Arnold but is a very good player. England have no centre backs but somebody who is first choice for Milan and playing out of his mind can’t get a look in ahead of Harry Maguire.

As if it wasn't bad enough with the Trent situation, to completely exclude Tomori to squeeze in the liability that is slab head is madness. 'Oh, but he doesn't play in the premier league'.... boo fucking hoo. The lad is one hell of a talent and playing in a much better league than the PL.

Actually now I think about it, I've just described exactly why the lad isn't getting a look in. Different manager, same stupidity, overlooking the actual talent regardless of where they're playing in favour of the mediocrity plodding around for the favoured clubs (Le Tissier was arguably the greatest example of this although as mentioned earlier there have been numerous others). He'll be gone by Christmas and it'll be rinse, repeat with the next guy. Precisely why I don't give a flying bollocks about England, never have and never will.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9905 on: September 26, 2022, 07:08:42 pm »
Samie, no more Henry Winter please (I wasn't serious ;)), it's already too much from a know nothing know it all. Seems like it's easy right now to knock Southgate, no surprise Winter's got involved.

And Southgate's never seemed keen on Alexander-Arnold, he never picked him regularly when he was the best right back in the world, it's no surprise he's not picking him now when him and us aren't in the best of form. Great for us though.

I think it is not so much that Southgate isn't keen on Trent. I think the problem is that he has gone all in on Maguire. Once that decision is made then having Walker or James babysit Maguire actually makes sense.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9906 on: September 26, 2022, 07:19:28 pm »
To be honest I think it makes sense to leave him out given the style of football that Southgate wants to play. People ask why Maguire constantly gets picked but it's clear he's the kind of backs to the wall type player that tends to look alright in that England set up. He also is a threat from corners which was basically England's only weapon in the last world cup. Trent is one of very few genuinely world class players that England have but he's not going to shine in a defensive minded system.

He didn't fancy him for his team when he was putting in outstanding performances week in week out. He's not going to pick him while we are a shambles at the back and conceding for fun, often from Trent's side.

The best thing that can happen for Trent is Southgate getting sacked and someone with experience managing top players in a positive system coming in. He'll quickly become one of the first names on the team sheet. For now I just hope he doesn't let it get him down and that he can concentrate on improving his form for us, which I'm sure he will.

Good points there. It could well be a shi*show in November anyway so maybe he's better off out of it for now. I'm Irish so I couldn't care less one way or the other myself.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9907 on: September 26, 2022, 07:20:23 pm »
I think it is not so much that Southgate isn't keen on Trent. I think the problem is that he has gone all in on Maguire. Once that decision is made then having Walker or James babysit Maguire actually makes sense.

If true, why go all in on Maguire?

Offline rojo para la vida

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #9908 on: September 26, 2022, 07:27:42 pm »
I don't know what Southgate is like as a person but this seems petty, leaving out one of the few players available to him, who at times has been world class. Is there a non-football reason for it? I joked earlier today that it was because Trent doesn't sing the national anthem but a royal arse licker like Southgate would be offended by that. That's of course me speculating outlandishly but despite Trent not being at his best, I can't think of football reasons to leave him out.
Against Italy, they were 1-0 down and the obvious thing to have done, with relegation on the table was to put on your most attack minded players but Southgate couldn't figure that out.
There's not a top manager in the world, who wouldn't name Trent in a squad and that's the crux of it, Southgate isn't top class.
I'm not an England follower so this shouldn't upset me but Trent is our lad and I figure going to Qatar is important to him. I can only see that happening if England lose badly tonight and Southgate has to leave.
That said, he'll come back in January refreshed and ready to show the world. It could be a big advantage for us.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #9909 on: September 26, 2022, 07:32:10 pm »
But they were very good in the Euros. I watched all their games and they were a well-oiled machine that was levels above England. There is a reason why Southgate is the best manager in 60-odd years. Maybe other teams are just better? It can'tbe a coincidence.

Still there for the taking in a home final for England after the early goal and they just sat back and invited pressure.

Thought Italy lost a lot when Spinazzola got injured, they played good football up to that point.

Ultimately they had a smarter coach in Mancini who is a PL title winning manager (although not a top manager). Southgate got Middlesbrough relegated and that's about it.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9910 on: September 26, 2022, 07:33:28 pm »

Southgate is a dinosaur tactically and wants to defend deep and try and counter attack. Maguire fits in with that philosophy. Trent doesn't.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9911 on: September 26, 2022, 07:34:22 pm »
Southgate is a dinosaur tactically and wants to defend deep and try and counter attack. Maguire fits in with that philosophy. Trent doesn't.

But Maguire is a lunkhead.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9912 on: September 26, 2022, 07:56:17 pm »

Because Maguire's a mans man,players player & because you know,he's a moron who should never have removed that paper bag.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9913 on: September 26, 2022, 07:57:12 pm »

I agree with a lot of what is said about the Trent/England situation but this particular narrative conveniently ignores that Walker himself has won 4 PL, 1 FA Cup and 3 LCs, and if the CL is more your barometer, well James has won that. Even saying that, it's not really about what each has won at club level - we're not talking about some absolute cloggers, Walker and James are excellent players in their own right.

I think alonsoisared makes a pretty fair point - if you're going to use Trent in a way that best utilises his talents then you have to be able to make certain tactical allowances/adjustments. We've maybe taken that for granted in the past but even at club level this season we've really struggled to make those adjustments properly (for a combination of reasons, including injuries, form and fatigue), and it's contributed to us looking as porous defensively as we maybe ever have under Klopp. We've trained a system heavily based around Trent every week for four years and we're struggling to get the balance right at the moment - those adjustments aren't going to be easier to make at NT level where they meet up periodically and you've got players coming in from all different teams with different styles. Of course Trent is talented enough to adjust his game and play more conservatively, but then you take away a big chunk of what makes him so good.

To be honest I think he's better off out of it, until England hire a more progressive coach.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #9914 on: September 26, 2022, 08:08:24 pm »
Hopefully Trent is mature enough to realise that the decision says far more about Southgate's limited coaching ability and tactical rigidity than it does about what Trent can bring to a team.

There's a reason England haven't won anything for almost 60 years - because the managers/FA/coaching setup is always 20 years behind the rest of the world, and they regularly waste the best talent on offer, or can't seem to fit the best players into a tactically limited system.

Echoes of Sven Goran Eriksson, who couldn't figure out how to get the best of Scholes, Lampard and Gerrard in midfield, despite them being arguably in the top 5 English midfielders of the last 30 years, and amongst the best players in the world in their positions at the time.

England will always find a way to balls it up - it's what they're good at, and why I gave up caring long ago after we couldn't win a tournament with the best group of players you could possibly want in a major tournament at their peak - Ashley Cole, Ferdinand, Terry, Neville, Beckham, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney and Owen. We won't ever get a group like that again who were all at the top of their game for their respective clubs, and a better/more tactically flexible and innovative manager would've won at least one major tournament with that crop.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Online Saus76

• Complete and utter embarrassment
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #9915 on: September 26, 2022, 08:08:48 pm »
Hope England get smashed tonight. I used to enjoy watching them back in the day. I loved the world cups and euros and watching the highlights midweek on itv back in the 80s/90s.

Slowly but surely over the years I've become disengaged. Its just a southern thing and for fans of shit teams in lower leagues. The whole setup is cringe and Southgate is a championship level manage who ticks the boxes for the corrupt c*nts in grey suits at the FA.

Dropping Trent is a bonus for us, but a blow for him. The fact Southgate doesn't rate him says everything about the clueless dickhead.

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #9916 on: September 26, 2022, 08:24:04 pm »
Southgate. Ex Middlesbrough manager.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9917 on: September 26, 2022, 08:46:57 pm »
But Maguire is a lunkhead.

He is just an old-fashioned traditional English stopper. Get other players to do his running and just get him to stay central and head things away. Southgate is just a reincarnation of the owl.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9918 on: September 26, 2022, 08:58:24 pm »
He is just an old-fashioned traditional English stopper. Get other players to do his running and just get him to stay central and head things away. Southgate is just a reincarnation of the owl.

Prob need people to do his tackling too  :o

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9919 on: September 26, 2022, 08:59:46 pm »

It does cause a bit of a problem when the ball is on the ground though.