Author Topic: The Golf Thread  (Read 295449 times)

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Golf Thread
« Reply #3960 on: June 16, 2022, 10:02:07 pm »
Why give them a hard time? They are playing for a country that must have banked several trillion dollars in the US VIA various military deals over the past decade or two. Olympics in China, World Cup in Qatar, its all nonsense but don't hold these golfers on a higher standard where others have failed miserably
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3961 on: June 16, 2022, 11:26:53 pm »
Why give them a hard time? They are playing for a country that must have banked several trillion dollars in the US VIA various military deals over the past decade or two. Olympics in China, World Cup in Qatar, its all nonsense but don't hold these golfers on a higher standard where others have failed miserably

That would make sense if the US Government funded the PGA tour, or the Chinese paid Olympians etc.

What you're doing is making the same argument Man City fans make about Liverpool being owned by Americans and America being just as bad as the oil states.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #3962 on: June 16, 2022, 11:34:12 pm »
Was Koepka just on a (fairly long) hot streak when he won his Majors? How come he’s dropped back into the pack?
He's a weird one in that half of his wins on the PGA Tour have been majors - 4, and just 4 other events. (Rory has 4 majors and 17 regular events, by comparison).

He's like latter years Serena Williams - all his focus is on the majors, but might mean he has little form going into some of them.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3963 on: June 16, 2022, 11:38:07 pm »
Jamal Khashoggi: Saudi embassy street in US renamed after murdered journalist

A street in front of the Saudi embassy in Washington DC has been renamed after Jamal Khashoggi, whose murder by Saudi agents caused shock around the world.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-61831193

Just as good in here.
#Sausages

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #3964 on: June 17, 2022, 01:21:04 am »
Was Koepka just on a (fairly long) hot streak when he won his Majors? How come he’s dropped back into the pack?

Was recovering from a knee injury last year. Then his hip has been bothering him.

According to ESPN, Koepka partially tore his patella tendon in 2019 and had an MRI conducted on his knee prior to the Memorial in July.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3965 on: June 17, 2022, 06:59:05 am »
That would make sense if the US Government funded the PGA tour, or the Chinese paid Olympians etc.

What you're doing is making the same argument Man City fans make about Liverpool being owned by Americans and America being just as bad as the oil states.

It's a slippery slope virtually all professional sports is on. The PGA tour had no problem stealing the best talent from Europe via bigger prize money / minimum events to be played. LIV are going announce the next four big names to join next week including Koepka, Scheffler etc so unless both tours can get together n sort things out then the golf fans will suffer.

Anyway great to see everyone contending for the US Open as it should be a great weekend for the golf couch fans
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3966 on: June 17, 2022, 09:12:23 am »
It's a slippery slope virtually all professional sports is on.

Fully agree. But you can't say X is doing this so Y is okay too. That's exactly what makes the slope more slippery.

The PGA tour had no problem stealing the best talent from Europe via bigger prize money / minimum events to be played.

Again fair enough, but that's basically a competing business. The Saudi's on the other hand can just keep throwing money at players and completely destroy golf as we know it. They don't need a relationship with the existing tours.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3967 on: June 17, 2022, 09:18:36 am »
It would be a lot more palatable if the funding source wasn’t so detestable. In fact if a multi billionaire without human rights abuses on his CV was devising a plan to finish the PGA Tour I would almost celebrate it. The way that tour has tried to cannibalise golf is nothing short of dreadful. Unfortunately the only ones with the readies and willingness to do it are undesirable regimes.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3968 on: June 17, 2022, 04:19:03 pm »
It's a slippery slope virtually all professional sports is on. The PGA tour had no problem stealing the best talent from Europe via bigger prize money / minimum events to be played. LIV are going announce the next four big names to join next week including Koepka, Scheffler etc so unless both tours can get together n sort things out then the golf fans will suffer.

Anyway great to see everyone contending for the US Open as it should be a great weekend for the golf couch fans

Where you seeing that? Have heard some rumblings about Koepka and the way he's played the last couple of years, it wouldn't be a shock to see him join his brother.

But I haven't heard or read anything about Scheffler. That would send shockwaves if he went and I just don't see him being a LIV guy at all.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #3969 on: June 17, 2022, 04:21:59 pm »
Sorry, Shane.
AHA!

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3970 on: June 17, 2022, 04:53:59 pm »
Are conditions getting tougher or are Rose and Fitzpatrick just having a mare?

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3971 on: June 17, 2022, 04:59:38 pm »
Conditions have definitely toughened up. Lots of scores in the black so far today.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #3972 on: June 17, 2022, 05:01:15 pm »

Disgraceful post.

The LIV scumbags should be ostracised from the professional game like the Apharteid cricketers were.

No publicity, no TV exposure, don't report on these joke LIV events, let them slip out of the public consciousness, watch their sponsorship money drain away.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #3973 on: June 17, 2022, 07:09:36 pm »
Rory absolute meltdown happening

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3974 on: June 17, 2022, 07:13:19 pm »

Disgraceful post.

The LIV scumbags should be ostracised from the professional game like the Apharteid cricketers were.

No publicity, no TV exposure, don't report on these joke LIV events, let them slip out of the public consciousness, watch their sponsorship money drain away.

+1

Fwiw, I live 20 minutes from where the next Liv event will be played. Pumpkin Ridge CC.

Was talking to our pro shop about this event as the local news has been airing some dissatisfied local mayors and one of our States US Senators ( who said this was sports washing).

There was a mention of members dropping their membership and leaving Pumpkin Ridge. So asked in the shop. The head pro said he's heard about 30 members have quit.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3975 on: June 17, 2022, 08:00:48 pm »

Disgraceful post.

Where was the uproar when some of the top players played in Saudi Arabia a couple of years ago? How about the annual WGC event in China?

The CEO of the USGA took a stance and didn't bar the LIV players as he must be thinking a lot of the top players are going to playing on that tour soon. The 2021 US amateur winner went straight to LIV n skipped on the PGA tour which is nuts but just shows the next young guns may head that way which will be seriously damaging to the PGA.

Im no fan of Saudi Arabia that's for sure but if Koepka, Scheffler and Fowler join the tour by next week then the powers to be will be really worried.

Online 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3976 on: June 17, 2022, 08:27:58 pm »
Where was the uproar when some of the top players played in Saudi Arabia a couple of years ago? How about the annual WGC event in China?

The CEO of the USGA took a stance and didn't bar the LIV players as he must be thinking a lot of the top players are going to playing on that tour soon. The 2021 US amateur winner went straight to LIV n skipped on the PGA tour which is nuts but just shows the next young guns may head that way which will be seriously damaging to the PGA.

Im no fan of Saudi Arabia that's for sure but if Koepka, Scheffler and Fowler join the tour by next week then the powers to be will be really worried.

Apples and oranges.

Playing in a Tour tournament in Saudi Arabia or China, is a one of.

That is not nearly the same as playing in tour designed to compete against an existing tour(s).

How about the Crown Prince just start his own "Saudi International League" and buy all the best footy players. Have them break their existing contracts to go get even more riches " to provide for their families". He could buy enough players to form 18 teams and move his matches around the globe. He could play at Wembley, Cardiff, Hampden Park, Aviva stadium, etc.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 08:31:18 pm by 4pool »

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3977 on: June 17, 2022, 09:04:12 pm »
Apples and oranges.

SNIP

Playing in a Tour tournament in Saudi Arabia or China, is a one of.

Tell that to the 2m people  currently held in internment camps in China doing forced labour. Hardly Apples and oranges.

Online 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3978 on: June 17, 2022, 09:25:21 pm »
Tell that to the 2m people  currently held in internment camps in China doing forced labour. Hardly Apples and oranges.

I suggest you file a formal complaint with the DP World Tour ( European tour) as they are the ones who schedule the WGC China tour event a $10 million event. The PGA Tour has nothing to do with that event other than to grant a few PGA tour players an exception to go play there if any requests come in.

Same with the Saudi International ( a $5 million tournament ) now part of the Asian Tour. The PGA Tour has nothing to do with that either.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3979 on: June 17, 2022, 09:37:10 pm »
I suggest you file a formal complaint with the DP World Tour ( European tour) as they are the ones who schedule the WGC China tour event a $10 million event. The PGA Tour has nothing to do with that event other than to grant a few PGA tour players an exception to go play there if any requests come in.

Same with the Saudi International ( a $5 million tournament ) now part of the Asian Tour. The PGA Tour has nothing to do with that either.

Complaint filed lol just pointing out the WGC tournament has been recognised by the PGA tour as an official event and the winner gets a three year exemption on the tour. I guess it has nothing to do with the PGA 😉
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 11:12:07 pm by fowlermagic »

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #3980 on: June 17, 2022, 10:29:06 pm »
Morikawa, Scheffler, Rahm, Fitzpatrick, Rory all within 2 shots at the top of the board.
Going to be a great weekend.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3981 on: June 17, 2022, 11:11:27 pm »
Hotting up nicely for moving day.

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #3982 on: June 17, 2022, 11:13:55 pm »
Shaping up brilliantly. Rory has really found something with his approach play.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #3983 on: June 18, 2022, 01:41:35 pm »
Cool conditions over the weekend but with a breeze. Hopefully they don't water the greens too much and we can see some carnage. The winning score could be around about what the leaders are at now.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #3984 on: June 18, 2022, 10:12:34 pm »
Rory's putting today is absolutely fucking pathetic. He'd be better off giving me the putter and letting me have a go.

Offline gemofabird

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3985 on: June 18, 2022, 10:39:50 pm »
Think I would last 3 holes on that course, before walking off.

Tough looking course
The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3986 on: June 18, 2022, 10:44:51 pm »
Think I would last 3 holes on that course, before walking off.

Tough looking course
Probably how Scheffler is feeling right now.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3987 on: June 18, 2022, 11:35:21 pm »
Come on Fitzy lad.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3988 on: June 18, 2022, 11:36:53 pm »
Come on Fitzy lad.

Weighing up whether to cash out or hold fire fully expecting him to just fade away tomorrow!

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3989 on: June 18, 2022, 11:49:07 pm »
Weighing up whether to cash out or hold fire fully expecting him to just fade away tomorrow!

He's a very good putter, think it matters massively here. Accurate iron player too which is also huge with the daft way they setup US Open courses. Made up Bryson won it the other year to make a mockery of this hitting the fairway nonsense, it helps but there is more to golf than that, that's why Seve hated the US Open.

Anyway only 12 minutes of my birthday left, another beer I think!
 :hally
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 12:05:30 am by Yosser0_0 »
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3990 on: June 19, 2022, 12:34:49 am »
Rahm is by far the best player out there, could easily have had another 4 birdies today, think he ll walk it tomorrow

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3991 on: June 19, 2022, 12:49:25 am »
Rahm is by far the best player out there, could easily have had another 4 birdies today, think he ll walk it tomorrow

Is no sport safe from TNB’s predictions? :D

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3992 on: June 19, 2022, 12:59:50 am »

Im just going through the tv channels now, to see who else I can get behind and ruin.

Online 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3993 on: June 19, 2022, 01:21:12 am »

Just consigned poor Rahm to 5th, just like Arsenal finished last season.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3994 on: June 19, 2022, 02:20:07 pm »
Still backing Rahm to win it. 50 quid to get back 250. Let’s go .

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3995 on: June 19, 2022, 02:21:50 pm »
Still backing Rahm to win it. 50 quid to get back 250. Let’s go .

I actually agree, of the top 3 he’s probably most likely. Scheffele or Rory could get in a charge though. I do like Rahm and would be happy if he won but my money went on Fitzpatrick so I’ll be rooting for him.

Online 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3996 on: June 19, 2022, 04:12:58 pm »
The fallout from the introduction of the LIV Golf Invitational Series shows no sign of abating any time soon, and according to one report, the Scottish Open is the latest event that won't permit its players to participate.

The PGA Tour acted decisively by suspending members who participated in the inaugural LIV Golf Invitational Series event. However, there has been far less certainty over how the DP World Tour will react, with suggestions it could forge links with the Saudi-backed Series and others saying that the organisation is in advanced negotiations with the PGA Tour to counter its threat.

Now, an Observer report states that the Scottish Open, which is co-sanctioned by the PGA Tour and DP World Tour, will not allow LIV Golf players to compete in the event, beginning on 7 July, saying they will be told they are not welcome.

The tournament, which will take place at North Berwick’s Renaissance Club, is one of the most high-profile events in this year’s calendar and acts as part of the build-up to the year’s final Major, the Open Championship. 

As well as its proximity to this year’s event at St Andrews, the tournament boasts a substantial purse of £6.5 million ($8 million). It also offers ranking points on the DP World Tour’s Race to Dubai order of merit and the PGA Tour’s FedEx Cup series, making it an attractive proposition for some of the best players in the world. To that end, there’s an eye-catching field including World No.1 Scottie Scheffler, Open Champion Collin Morikawa, 2021 US Open Champion Jon Rahm and PGA Champion Justin Thomas.

If LIV Golf players are prevented from participating in the tournament, it will come as a blow to players who had hoped to compete as they will miss out both on its incentives and the pivotal role it plays in preparations for the Open Championship. It will also make the idea, championed by the likes of Graeme McDowell, that the DP World Tour could subsidise LIV Golf players' schedules by allowing them to appear in its events seem less likely, even though its players can compete in next week's BMW International Open. Furthermore, it poses another question over any potential future Ryder Cup involvement for affected LIV Golf players. 

With the PGA Tour holding a board meeting next Tuesday, the commitment deadline for the Scottish Open coming two days later, and DP World Tour CEO Keith Pelley promising to outline his stance on the issue on the same date, another tumultuous week in a long-running saga appears all but guaranteed.

Online 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3997 on: June 19, 2022, 04:24:09 pm »
Golf’s great and good have warned the players who have signed with the Saudi rebel circuit that their routes to the majors may soon be blocked and that they should not expect to appear in any future Ryder Cups.

As the third round of the 122nd US Open here featured a stellar leaderboard featuring the world’s top three pros - Scottie Scheffler, Jon Rahm and Rory McIlroy - all within two shots of the lead, the LIV Series participants were conspicuous by their absence.

Fifteen of them set out, but only four survived the cut, with Dustin Johnson the best placed in a tie for 31st.

For the likes of Phil Mickelson, Louis Oosthuizen, Sergio García and Kevin Na, the season’s third major was a huge anti-climax and they were left to go away to work on their games in preparation for the second no-cut $25 million (£20.5m) LIV event that takes place in Portland Oregon in 12 days.

That 48-man field is due to be announced early next week with rumours rife that there could be a few new big names in the their ranks, with Japan’s Hideki Matsuyama a strong mention in the locker room.

But as well as being assured of an indefinite ban from the PGA Tour, the rebels should also be mindful of the effect that any continuing inability to earn ranking points will have on their major hopes.

While next month’s Open Championship will emulate the US Open in allowing any eligible player to compete at St Andrews, next year’s majors could be a problem, even if the respective organisers permit the LIV crowd to play.

“What is clear at the moment, with LIV Golf being 54-hole events and not offering any world ranking points, is that the guys who are top-50 in the world are slowly going to lose their ranking and fall outside the top 50 and that’s what gets most of these big names in the majors,” Paul McGinley, the former Europe Ryder Cup captain turned Sky Sports analyst, said.

“The only guys who will probably be eligible by the time next year comes around at the Masters in April could well be past champions, under the current criteria, because the others may all have fallen out of the top 50. It will be interesting to see what is going to happen, as there are so many things and scenarios that can play out.”

The Masters is an invitational and could conceivably refuse to grant entry to those former champions such as Mickelson, Johnson, García, Patrick Reed and Charl Schwartzel. The same applies to the US PGA. Gary Player also believes the LIV players should now consider the Ryder Cup a no-go zone.

“LIV are entitled to have their tour and the PGA Tour are entitled to have their tour,” the South African told NCG. “If somebody wants to leave the PGA Tour, that’s their choice. You are not going to stop them. If they want to leave, they are going to leave.

“But once you leave the PGA Tour, and you join the LIV tour, you can’t have your cake and eat it. You can’t resign from a business and expect to go back.

“They’ve decided to be on the LIV tour, that’s it. But don’t expect the courtesies and the other things that happen like Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup – to be participating in it.”

Player has conceded that it is “all about money” and even the majors have to try to keep up with the dramatic rises in prize money. Out of a £14.3m prize pot - a record for the majors - Sunday’s winner will earn £2.54m and that is almost £750,000 more than last year. However, in each of the regular LIV events the champion receives £3.3m.

Offline gemofabird

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3998 on: June 19, 2022, 06:48:38 pm »
Had to laugh the last day when sly sports news were ridiculing the golfers going to play in Saudi Arabia and the associated sports rinsing. Their next story was the sensational signing of Haaland by Abu Dhabi, with not a whisper of his new clubs sports rinsing.
The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3999 on: June 19, 2022, 07:06:44 pm »
Had to laugh the last day when sly sports news were ridiculing the golfers going to play in Saudi Arabia and the associated sports rinsing. Their next story was the sensational signing of Haaland by Abu Dhabi, with not a whisper of his new clubs sports rinsing.

As soon as they’re offered the rights to the Saudi golf tournament, they’ll change their tune.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.