Author Topic: The Golf Thread  (Read 302762 times)

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
Re: The Golf Thread
« Reply #3920 on: June 12, 2022, 03:48:52 pm »
Good looking finish to the RBC later. Great final group.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #3921 on: June 12, 2022, 05:03:37 pm »
I'd imagine a good chunk of viewers they got was from people who oppose it but just wanted to have a look out of curiosity. Bit like how I switched on GB News when it first aired.

Going to give my take on it.

I was all for more competition if not for the bloody Saudi’s who was behind this. If this was run by some decent corporation I would surely be lending my support. Anyway my take on the first inaugural  competition.

In short, it’s awful.

TV - I felt like watching golf with WWE over the top commentary. Every sentence the commentators said had included a “fun” word in this. “This was so much fun”. “The players were having so much fun”. “The fans were having so much fun in the last few days”. Bloody hell, it’s either they had a limited vocabulary or they knew there wasn’t much else to it. There definitely wasn’t excitement because I don’t know what they stand to win from the competition apart from the money. Its not like they just beat the top 20 players of the world to claim victory.

Everything is fucking neon in colour. The studio, the leaderboard and logos. It’s college football, NASCAR type of graphics and it was very distracting. There was just a single camera work so it felt one dimensional all round. Maybe the Saudis paid the players too much and forgot to leave some money for tv production

The competition - 18 holes short gun start with no cut. It can be exciting but I think no one had a clue how other than to jizz over Phil Mickelson’s iron shots that sailed 20 yards past the hole and called him the greatest player ever to grace the game. It didn’t help that marquee players were already given large sums of money before the competition even started so it’s more more like an exhibition to me.

The course - maybe TV just didn’t do justice to it. Centurion club felt cheap that looked more worthy of  society golf competition than a proper tour sanctioned event. Marquees and grandstands appeared like empty shoe boxes placed around the course just for the sake of it.

It’s not looking good on and off the course. With Bryson, Kevin Na and Patrick Reed joining maybe we can expect an improvement but they have a lot of work to do if they were to sustain my interest.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 06:24:35 pm by RedForeverTT »

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #3922 on: June 12, 2022, 09:01:39 pm »
Justin Rose needing a par on the last for 59

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3923 on: June 12, 2022, 10:16:29 pm »
Good old ding dong between JT and Rory. Nerves seem to be getting to Rory as he has forgotten to how to close out a comp it seems.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #3924 on: June 12, 2022, 10:30:10 pm »
Good old ding dong between JT and Rory. Nerves seem to be getting to Rory as he has forgotten to how to close out a comp it seems.
And he responds with 2 brilliant holes on 17 and 18 to seal the win, his first of the year.

Magic in his hands with the wedges today.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #3925 on: June 12, 2022, 10:35:13 pm »
Been great competition this one, massive crowds on the 18th now. Rory has been immense from 140 in seemingly today. When he’s on form, really does feel like he’s best player in the world.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #3926 on: June 12, 2022, 10:38:08 pm »
Proper golf you might say. Rory's break was on 17, he was an inch or two away from the thick stuff. Took full advantage.

Roll on Brookline. Should be a cracker if the LIV talk doesn't overshadow it.

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #3927 on: June 12, 2022, 10:40:02 pm »
Rory with a little dig at Normal there as well.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3928 on: June 12, 2022, 10:42:53 pm »
King shit from Rory with that shot at Norman. Outstanding.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #3929 on: June 12, 2022, 10:49:43 pm »
Rory is so entertaining when he has zero fucks left to give. He might just win at Brookline and wave his dick around at the LIV players.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3930 on: June 13, 2022, 11:11:12 pm »
That Mickelson interview was grim to watch

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #3931 on: June 13, 2022, 11:36:53 pm »
That Mickelson interview was grim to watch

I think he looks awful in terms of appearance. The scruffy beard look doesn't suit him and he doesn't have the twinkle in his eye like he often does.

Guilt, shame? Who knows.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3932 on: June 14, 2022, 12:54:49 am »
King shit from Rory with that shot at Norman. Outstanding.

I had a little giggle when I heard him say about his 21.

This is gonna go all old school I think. Gonna be some golf rap beefs going down soon. LIVies hanging around on Clubhouse corners while PGAies drive by with half opened blacked out windows with 7 iron shafts poking out.

All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #3933 on: June 14, 2022, 01:54:39 am »
Wonder if the Liv players get some stick from the crowd when they play? Cheering when they miss, maybe some boo's, etc.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3934 on: June 14, 2022, 03:38:57 am »
Wonder if the Liv players get some stick from the crowd when they play? Cheering when they miss, maybe some boo's, etc.

The crowd should all wear Khashoggi masks when following them around.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3935 on: June 15, 2022, 11:45:52 pm »
On sky sports preview show they interviewed around 10 American fans at todays practice asking what they think about the LIV tour. Not a single one of them was critical of it and saw it as a positive that the PGA Tour is being challenged. I know its a small sample size but it doesn't sound like the LIV tour players will get any abuse from the crowds at Brookline.

Offline Fiasco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #3936 on: June 16, 2022, 11:06:40 am »
Hopefully it is a proper test. The kind where even par or a couple under par could win you the tournament. The course looks beautiful, looking forward to seeing how it plays.

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #3937 on: June 16, 2022, 12:04:48 pm »
Excited for this, will be watching from the get go likely impacting concentration on work.

Hoping none of the LIV golfers challenge, would love Rory to win this one.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3938 on: June 16, 2022, 12:40:45 pm »
Rory seems a big favourite, will he handle that? Wouldn’t mind seeing him win but haven’t backed him at those odds. Usual each ways on Fitzpatrick, Rose and Matsuyama plus the guy who led early last week at 175/1! Can’t remember his name though but obviously must be in form!

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #3939 on: June 16, 2022, 12:47:25 pm »
Gone with Lowry.

Oosthuizen can get to fuck.
AHA!

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #3940 on: June 16, 2022, 12:54:10 pm »
50 each way on Victor Perez at 300/1

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #3941 on: June 16, 2022, 01:56:06 pm »
Rough looks like a beast, as you would expect with US Open.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3942 on: June 16, 2022, 05:55:11 pm »
We have a Rory situation, folks.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3943 on: June 16, 2022, 06:03:50 pm »
May as well give it to him now, Rory never chokes a major after leading on day 1.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #3944 on: June 16, 2022, 06:17:28 pm »
All this time we've been wondering if his short game was up to winning majors, or his putting, or was he lacking confidence or motivation.
Turns out all Rory needs is the knowledge that if he wins Sunday night, he can talk so much shit about Greg Norman live on TV...

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3945 on: June 16, 2022, 06:18:38 pm »
May as well give it to him now, Rory never chokes a major after leading on day 1.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3946 on: June 16, 2022, 07:22:46 pm »
All this time we've been wondering if his short game was up to winning majors, or his putting, or was he lacking confidence or motivation.
Turns out all Rory needs is the knowledge that if he wins Sunday night, he can talk so much shit about Greg Norman live on TV...

Nick Faldo must have really hated him.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3947 on: June 16, 2022, 07:45:58 pm »
On sky sports preview show they interviewed around 10 American fans at todays practice asking what they think about the LIV tour. Not a single one of them was critical of it and saw it as a positive that the PGA Tour is being challenged. I know its a small sample size but it doesn't sound like the LIV tour players will get any abuse from the crowds at Brookline.
There is Atleast 10 idiots in the crowd then

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #3948 on: June 16, 2022, 08:16:45 pm »
Not going great for Mickelson. Shame.
AHA!

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3949 on: June 16, 2022, 08:28:05 pm »
Is he getting any grief from the crowd?

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #3950 on: June 16, 2022, 08:34:59 pm »
He must have bet heavily on himself not making the cut.

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #3951 on: June 16, 2022, 08:35:48 pm »
Phil with a 4 putt from about 15 feet…. Oh dear

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3952 on: June 16, 2022, 08:36:50 pm »
He must have bet heavily on himself not making the cut.
Or the Saudi investment fund have made the bet…

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3953 on: June 16, 2022, 09:10:08 pm »
Is he getting any grief from the crowd?

Golf channel mentioned that he hasn't gotten any stick from the crowd. He does have three policemen following him in case there's anything that needs dealing with.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3954 on: June 16, 2022, 09:13:29 pm »
The CEO of the USGA  basically said the other day if he started to bsn LIV players then he have to ban a lot of the field eventually based on where they have played over the past 12 months. The PGA tour was fuking the European tour over for years basically taking the best talent by offering bigger prize money / minimum number of appearances required for your card. There is always a bigger fish out there waiting to swallow you up. The PGA CEO needs to sit down at the same table as Norman and sort things out as the next Schefflers of the game will sign up with LIV if their bank account is getting 50m deposited in it.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3955 on: June 16, 2022, 09:14:51 pm »
Golf channel mentioned that he hasn't gotten any stick from the crowd. He does have three policemen following him in case there's anything that needs dealing with.
I don’t see how they can be allowed to continue playing the majors when they’ve been kicked out of the PGA. Hopefully they will also be excluded from any further majors.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3956 on: June 16, 2022, 09:23:34 pm »
I don’t see how they can be allowed to continue playing the majors when they’ve been kicked out of the PGA. Hopefully they will also be excluded from any further majors.

The PGA tour is separate organization from the PGA ( Professional Golfers Association of America). The four Majors are not run by a tour.

The US Open is run by the USGA ( United States Golf Association)

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3957 on: June 16, 2022, 09:31:57 pm »
The PGA tour is separate organization from the PGA ( Professional Golfers Association of America). The four Majors are not run by a tour.

The US Open is run by the USGA ( United States Golf Association)
Yeah I know that but it’s just a bit ridiculous that they are banned from PGA tour events but can still play the majors. It will be disappointing if they are not given a hard time by the fans and media during the competition.

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #3958 on: June 16, 2022, 09:59:09 pm »
Yeah I know that but it’s just a bit ridiculous that they are banned from PGA tour events but can still play the majors. It will be disappointing if they are not given a hard time by the fans and media during the competition.

I dislike the Liv setup etc. But really not sure how it’s ridiculous considering the Majors and PGA tour are separate entities. Masters for example is an invitational.

Players will be impacted when it comes to world rankings potentially if Liv events aren’t ranked and they’re banned from PGA tour.

European tour has held events that should be under scrutiny based on funding etc.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3959 on: June 16, 2022, 10:01:30 pm »
Was Koepka just on a (fairly long) hot streak when he won his Majors? How come he’s dropped back into the pack?