Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1736642 times)

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Atmosphere at Anfield
« Reply #13160 on: October 5, 2022, 12:27:26 pm »

It's weird seeing fans of a club based in a country decimated by the English establishment singing the praises of those who have trodden all over them for centuries. Maybe they are call ex-pat Chelsea fans from London? Or maybe just masochists?

It's not really weird when you consider the sectarian history and links to NI orangemen.
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #13161 on: October 5, 2022, 12:36:05 pm »
It's not really weird when you consider the sectarian history and links to NI orangemen.
Of course, I appreciate that.

It's still sort of odd, from an outside perspective, seeing Scots singing the praises of the English establishment though.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Booze And Glory

• Main Stander
« Reply #13162 on: October 5, 2022, 12:39:19 pm »
Just to add, could have heard a pin drop during the minute's silence. Obviously a particularly poignant one for us, that was.

Sat in Main Stand L3 and some prick sat behind tried to ruin it by shouting 'Up the RA'  :no

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13163 on: October 5, 2022, 12:40:04 pm »
Of course, I appreciate that.

It's still sort of odd, from an outside perspective, seeing Scots singing the praises of the English establishment though.

Despite the SNP vote there are quite a lot of militant unionists  in Scotland.
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #13164 on: October 5, 2022, 12:43:40 pm »
I'm a half hour into the game now. Good to hear us drown out their GSTK.

I’m sure I heard Rule, Britannia later on, written by a sycophantic Scottish poet, James Thomson.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13165 on: October 5, 2022, 12:48:16 pm »
Always the victims, as we were leaving
Fair enough to this account calling it out
https://twitter.com/scfrsc/status/1577301582894571524?s=46&t=kXY3y25QeNSESXEQGQLheQ
Thanks for replying.

I just read that right through. The idiots roundly condemned by pretty much everyone on there.

It defies belief that some of them would have sung that, given their own tragic history. I suppose you just can't legislate for those devoid of a brain.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #13166 on: October 5, 2022, 12:48:21 pm »
Just to add, could have heard a pin drop during the minute's silence. Obviously a particularly poignant one for us, that was.

66 Rangers fans died in a crush at Ibrox on the 2nd January 1971.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13167 on: October 5, 2022, 12:51:29 pm »
I’m sure I heard Rule, Britannia later on, written by a sycophantic Scottish poet, James Thomson.
Ah yes, I heard that too, before it was whistled down.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13168 on: October 5, 2022, 01:18:53 pm »

I was at that Celtic match just after Hillsborough when there was no segregation. They misinterpreted our airing of the second part of PST and started singing something about "Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die" which I assumed was a song about Ibrox disaster. But we have a few on here who go up to Celtic (and Rangers) so I might stand corrected.

It was only a few and they were shouted down by other Celtic supporters. We all have divs. Given that the Ev sing Always the victims, when many of them have mates and family badly affected - nothing surprises me.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #13169 on: October 5, 2022, 02:06:58 pm »

Yeah, that's what I meant - both sets of fans had extra reason to pause for thought during that silence. Awful tragedies all round. :'(
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13170 on: October 5, 2022, 02:13:04 pm »
It was only a few and they were shouted down by other Celtic supporters. We all have divs. Given that the Ev sing Always the victims, when many of them have mates and family badly affected - nothing surprises me.

This is why I've never understood the claims a particular set of fans are awful/disgraceful etc etc.

The fanbase of every team is the same - The majority are absolutely fine....and then there a minority that are pond-life. The proportion might vary a bit from club to club, but not by much, yet we often tar an entire clubs fanbase from what we might see from it's idiot element. 

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13171 on: October 5, 2022, 02:18:13 pm »
I sit in the lower Kemlyn, towards the Anny Road. Rangers were loud and did sing the vast majority of the game so I would disagree with quite a few of the previous posters. But, the way they have blindly followed the European Ultras type of support defies their roots. Incessant drumming just makes all songs sound the same.

To my ears, it was noticeable that songs such as the Sash my Father wore and Follow, Follow were only sung by a minority of the away support. I couldn’t make out the words of what I would deem their newer songs because of the bloody drum and, of course, the Glaswegian accent but is it possible that they sing less sectarian songs than they used to??

On a couple of other points, the home support in the lower Anny should be applauded as they seemed to start more songs than the Kop. That flag in the Kop with the Liverpool and Rangers flags sown together was a throwback to a different time. Personally, I was disappointed that they weren’t asked to take it down but then, and I am arguing against myself here, we do live in a democracy. Just.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #13172 on: October 5, 2022, 02:42:12 pm »
On a couple of other points, the home support in the lower Anny should be applauded as they seemed to start more songs than the Kop. That flag in the Kop with the Liverpool and Rangers flags sown together was a throwback to a different time. Personally, I was disappointed that they weren’t asked to take it down but then, and I am arguing against myself here, we do live in a democracy. Just.

Unless you are referring to a different banner, isn´t that half-Rangers/Liverpool banner the one commemorating the two clubs respective tragedies?

It was good to see 'GSTK' and 'Land of Hopeless Tories' was drowned out everytime they reared their ugly heads.

:D

That´s great! We should use that if we encounter that again
« Last Edit: October 5, 2022, 02:47:47 pm by Indomitable_Carp »

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #13173 on: October 5, 2022, 03:27:53 pm »
Thought last night was weird to be honest.
There to support Liverpool not Celtic but some of our fans our obsessed with either Celtic or rangers  ::)
A lot better than Saturday. Hopefully it’s just as loud for the city game

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13174 on: October 5, 2022, 03:44:51 pm »
Thought last night was weird to be honest.
There to support Liverpool not Celtic but some of our fans our obsessed with either Celtic or rangers  ::)
A lot better than Saturday. Hopefully it’s just as loud for the city game

There used to be Liverpool/Rangers and Liverpool/Celtic half and halfs sold outside the ground every league game when I first started going.
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #13175 on: October 5, 2022, 03:52:43 pm »
There used to be Liverpool/Rangers and Liverpool/Celtic half and halfs sold outside the ground every league game when I first started going.
It’s fine to like either one of them but last night it was Liverpool vs Rangers not Celtic vs Rangers.
People singing aba the IRA was moody. Just makes us look like we’re up celtics ass

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13176 on: October 5, 2022, 03:53:22 pm »
Unless you are referring to a different banner, isn´t that half-Rangers/Liverpool banner the one commemorating the two clubs respective tragedies?

:D

That´s great! We should use that if we encounter that again

I which case, I profusely apologise. I could not see any detail. Just saw the Union Jack, our flag and the Rangers flag. And Spion Kop written down the side. Possibly red hand of Ulster too but it was a long way away.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2022, 03:57:02 pm by storkfoot »

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13177 on: October 5, 2022, 03:56:10 pm »

Half and half bobble hats on the old kop

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13178 on: October 5, 2022, 04:02:05 pm »
I which case, I profusely apologise. I could not see any detail. Just saw the Union Jack, our flag and the Rangers flag. And Spion Kop written down the side. Possibly red hand of Ulster too but it was a long way away.
I assume this is the one you saw?

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/fans-of-liverpool-display-banners-and-flags-during-the-uefa-news-photo/1243726437

That incorporates a smaller version of this original, which was also on the Kop last night.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/fans-rangers-liverpool-unite-remember-3391387
« Last Edit: October 5, 2022, 04:04:25 pm by Son of Spion »

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13179 on: October 5, 2022, 04:18:12 pm »

To be fair I don´t know which one you saw so no idea what was on it - you may well have seen a different one. The one SoS posted is the one I was referring to.

But hey ho. To be honest it doesn´t matter which Old Firm team comes to visit us, it is bound to bring out the worst in some people. An unwanted reminder of this cities sectarian past which we have thankfully mostly buried unlike the Glaswegian lot! Funny how these things only come out when the two clubs with definitive sectarian affiliations come to town. Better off not getting involved with either of them really.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #13180 on: October 5, 2022, 04:24:40 pm »
I'm all for fans making stadiums more colourful and vibrant, but I find this 'Ultras' thing really contrived and tedious. Considering they go on about their passionate following, I thought Rangers were highly disappointing last night. Plastic flags are simply embarrassing. Something you expect from the likes of Chelsea and now Everton. Poor, with no individuality or thought.

The ridiculous drum and accompanying incessant drivel that in no way reacts to the game taking place in front of them is droningly tedious.

After watching the entire game late last night I think our fans were decent. Fell away after a lively start, but given how poor Rangers were it was clear it was going to be an easy night. Passions are bound to fade a little then. It was good to see 'GSTK' and 'Land of Hopeless Tories' was drowned out everytime they reared their ugly heads.

It's weird seeing fans of a club based in a country decimated by the English establishment singing the praises of those who have trodden all over them for centuries. Maybe they are call ex-pat Chelsea fans from London? Or maybe just masochists?

A lot of Rangers fans support an English club as well (often Chelsea) and as a fanbase are very culturally English/unionist, so it was just like playing Stoke or someone in the 3rd round of the League Cup (given the quality of their team) and they don't like us because we booed the national anthem. Obviously we were up for it as a big game but it quickly became apparent it was a mismatch.

Credit to them for getting to the final last season though and they'll make it difficult next week. Ibrox will be red hot for that.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2022, 04:32:41 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #13181 on: October 5, 2022, 04:30:22 pm »
To be fair I don´t know which one you saw so no idea what was on it - you may well have seen a different one. The one SoS posted is the one I was referring to.

But hey ho. To be honest it doesn´t matter which Old Firm team comes to visit us, it is bound to bring out the worst in some people. An unwanted reminder of this cities sectarian past which we have thankfully mostly buried unlike the Glaswegian lot! Funny how these things only come out when the two clubs with definitive sectarian affiliations come to town. Better off not getting involved with either of them really.
We haven’t buried it though?
Quite clearly yesterday shown that, I’m no loyalist but some of the things said yesterday honestly baffles me. All I’m saying I know scousers who’ve served an been shot by the IRA but we have people glorifying them  :butt

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13182 on: October 5, 2022, 04:34:35 pm »
Quite clearly yesterday shown that, I’m no loyalist but some of the things said yesterday honestly baffles me. All I’m saying I know scousers who’ve served an been shot by the IRA but we have people glorifying them  :butt

It's more of a minority now but it gets passed down the generations (the sectarianism).

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13183 on: October 5, 2022, 04:48:30 pm »
before the game started they got a couple renditions of GSTK, Rule Britannia and 'always the victims' to a ground that was about 10% full. truly a weird fanbase.

glad we were up for it. i think it was probably helped by an interesting lineup pointing towards a change in tactics which we've direly needed.
YNWA.

Online RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13184 on: October 5, 2022, 04:50:26 pm »
before the game started they got a couple renditions of GSTK, Rule Britannia and 'always the victims' to a ground that was about 10% full. truly a weird fanbase.

glad we were up for it. i think it was probably helped by an interesting lineup pointing towards a change in tactics which we've direly needed.

Think I've said it before but I genuinely feel a bit sick at myself for wanting that lot to win the league with Gerrard. :puke2

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13185 on: October 5, 2022, 04:57:02 pm »
It's why I'm glad we rarely play either Rangers or Celtic. It can bring certain things to the surface that aren't normally on our usual agenda.

I stopped having a dog in that fight many years ago. I used to have a soft spot for Celtic as a kid. I didn't even know or understand the politics back then. I was brought up C of E but once I developed my own mind I was agnostic. Politically I found that I firmly believed in a United Ireland, so I believed in the cause of the IRA but not their methods. I also have a cousin who served in the British Army in Ireland. His mate was shot dead right next to him by the IRA.

I used to have a Celtic shirt, but once I really became aware of the whole sectarian aspect and understood it more I gave it away and have had no interest in either club since. The entire thing is a mess I can do without in my life. I'd hate to be part of it, and if Liverpool and Everton were in any way similar I'd have given up on the game years ago.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #13186 on: October 5, 2022, 04:58:30 pm »
Issues at the away turnstiles from what I’ve seen on the rangers forum. Was ok before the March to the ground but then chaos with people trying to bunk and the Union bears rushing the cops.
YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13187 on: October 5, 2022, 05:04:17 pm »

Given their history, that is absolutely bizarre.

Mind you, many football fans in England have affiliations with one or the other Old Firm clubs, and plenty in the OF have affiliations with other clubs down here. Maybe some Chelsea and Man United leanings were on show in some of them and manifested in the form of the abhorrent chants many who follow those clubs also indulge in?

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13188 on: October 5, 2022, 05:07:15 pm »
Issues at the away turnstiles from what I’ve seen on the rangers forum. Was ok before the March to the ground but then chaos with people trying to bunk and the Union bears rushing the cops.
My neighbour is a steward at Anfield and he said they were right pricks last night. Trying to rush the gates/turnstiles. Absolutely staggering stuff given the Hillsborough and Ibrox disasters. Can you imagine the absolute chaos if they'd been successful in getting in.

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13189 on: October 5, 2022, 05:07:43 pm »

Many scousers will have come from Irish family. The behaviour of the British government incl the British Army will have left indelible scars on many families. I don't agree with violence or excuse the IRA but if you read some of the history of the British in Ireland you can at least understand the residual feeling.
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13190 on: October 5, 2022, 05:25:57 pm »
Many scousers will have come from Irish family. The behaviour of the British government incl the British Army will have left indelible scars on many families. I don't agree with violence or excuse the IRA but if you read some of the history of the British in Ireland you can at least understand the residual feeling.

Maybe so. But (and I´m genuinely curious here as I was not alive at the time) did these pro IRA chants come out amongst our support amidst the height of the Troubles? I suspect not, although I stand to be corrected, no matter how sympathetic many in Liverpool are to the cause of Irish unity, or against the oppressions of the British establishment. Granted we´ve never played Rangers before, but if it was pro-IRA chants from any deeply held conviction and not an attempt to "get one over" Rangers fans, I´m sure we´d have more of a history of it?

I have zero doubt that Scousers were involved with IRA chanting yesterday (and other unsavoury chants - I´m thinking "Lizzies in the mud"), but looking at the videos I´ve seen, it's clear there was also more than a few Northern Irish voices involved also.

Without wanting to tar our great and always welcome Irish support with the same brush, my guess is some of the scenes we saw yesterday were just the carry-over from some of our significant numbers of Northern Irish (from both sides of the divide) and Irish fans, with more than a few Scousers joining in. Once again, booing the anthem fine, but I´m talking the other stuff...

I used to have no problem with Irish Tricolours and Union Jacks being flown in the stands. In fact, I saw it as a positive that we could fly them side-by-side and still all consider ourselves Reds cheering on the same team. Now I´m not so sure.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2022, 05:28:50 pm by Indomitable_Carp »

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #13191 on: October 5, 2022, 05:29:11 pm »
But many scousers don’t as well? Bringing religion into it only causes trouble, imagine it was another faith there would be up roar.
All off this shite should be put in the bin.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13192 on: October 5, 2022, 05:29:17 pm »

Two sides to every story mate. There's also scousers who've had family shot by UDA and British troops.

Personally, I'm proddy but that's due to a schism in the family caused by one prick of a Catholic priest who wouldn't bless my Catholic Grandad on his death bed - because he'd married my Proddy Gran.

There's good and bad on both sides, and there's also areas that are very grey.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13193 on: October 5, 2022, 05:35:43 pm »
Maybe so. But (and I´m genuinely curious here as I was not alive at the time) did these pro IRA chants come out amongst our support amidst the height of the Troubles? I suspect not, although I stand to be corrected, no matter how sympathetic many in Liverpool are to the cause of Irish unity, or against the oppressions of the British establishment. Granted we´ve never played Rangers before, but if it was pro-IRA chants from any deeply held conviction and not an attempt to "get one over" Rangers fans, I´m sure we´d have more of a history of it?

I have zero doubt that Scousers were involved with IRA chanting yesterday (and other unsavoury chants - I´m thinking "Lizzies in the mud"), but looking at the videos I´ve seen, it's clear there was also more than a few Northern Irish voices involved also.

Without wanting to tar our great and always welcome Irish support with the same brush, my guess is some of the scenes we saw yesterday were just the carry-over from some of our significant numbers of Northern Irish (from both sides of the divide) and Irish fans, with more than a few Scousers joining in. Once again, booing the anthem fine, but I´m talking the other stuff...

I used to have no problem with Irish Tricolours and Union Jacks being flown in the stands. In fact, I saw it as a positive that we could fly them side-by-side and still all consider ourselves Reds cheering on the same team. Now I´m not so sure.

I was a regular on the Kop in the 70s, 80s and 90s and although not at every single game I never once heard a single pro-IRA chant.

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #13194 on: October 5, 2022, 05:35:50 pm »
Two sides to every story mate. There's also scousers who've had family shot by UDA and British troops.

Personally, I'm proddy but that's due to a schism in the family caused by one prick of a Catholic priest who wouldn't bless my Catholic Grandad on his death bed - because he'd married my Proddy Gran.

There's good and bad on both sides, and there's also areas that are very grey.
Mate my family is split down the middle but it makes no difference, we can go look back at past troubles or we can look at those kids in Warrington…
No difference all wrong, religion causes nothing but trouble. I go the match to watch Liverpool, not support non of this shite because it’s edgy.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13195 on: October 5, 2022, 05:36:52 pm »

Team difference aside it's just like playing Chelsea. Half of Chelsea fans support Rangers anyway so that dislike of us gets hammered home. A lot of Rangers fans have an English team, often chelsea.

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13196 on: October 5, 2022, 05:41:19 pm »
But many scousers don’t as well? Bringing religion into it only causes trouble, imagine it was another faith there would be up roar.
All off this shite should be put in the bin.

I don't want to hear it at a game, I was just trying to set out that there is a basis.

It's not just religion either (given both the Protestant and Catholic church are part of the Christian religion),  it's a history of oppression by the British over the Irish.

For the record, I am not Irish and am an atheist.
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13197 on: October 5, 2022, 05:43:16 pm »
I was a regular on the Kop in the 70s, 80s and 90s and although not at every single game I never once heard a single pro-IRA chant.

It all kicked off in The Stanley before one of our Celtic matches, because they were singing IRA songs - think it was shortly after the National was postponed - or maybe Warrington.

In the old days of the Celtic / Rangers chant and the 50/50 bobble hats, our support was split around 50/50 between Catholics and Proddy. But I'd say that only becomes an issue if we play one of them.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13198 on: October 5, 2022, 05:45:50 pm »
I don't want to hear it at a game, I was just trying to set out that there is a basis.

It's not just religion either (given both the Protestant and Catholic church are part of the Christian religion),  it's a history of oppression by the British over the Irish.

For the record, I am not Irish and am an atheist.

I don't think most Liverpool fans/Scousers could care either way, certainly nowadays. It's a very vocal minority that is deeply entrenched through the generations and passed down. It's always there on the fringes but not representative of the support at Liverpool or Everton.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13199 on: October 5, 2022, 05:48:44 pm »
It all kicked off in The Stanley before one of our Celtic matches, because they were singing IRA songs - think it was shortly after the National was postponed - or maybe Warrington.

In the old days of the Celtic / Rangers chant and the 50/50 bobble hats, our support was split around 50/50 between Catholics and Proddy. But I'd say that only becomes an issue if we play one of them.

I remember the ''Celtic-Rangers-Celtic-Rangers-Liiiiiiiiivvveeeeerrrrrppppoooooooooollllllllll....'' chants back when I was young. I always sang ''Celtic'' despite being brought up CofE then becoming agnostic.  :rollseyes