Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1736617 times)

Offline upthereds1993

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Atmosphere at Anfield
« Reply #13000 on: September 19, 2022, 06:56:55 pm »
I think part of the problem is we have a high % of people attending their 1st game or who only go a couple of games a season. If you compare us to say Everton or United they have more season ticket holders, therefore more people sitting/standing with people familiar to them so more likely to sing.

I think that is one of the biggest reasons. Especially in the league, it's extremely difficult to get sorted next to your mates. Lots of talk of getting groups of young kids in who are up for it. All well and good but the sad fact is that if those kids are all starting on a new members card, they'll probably be settled down with a mortgage and kids themselves by the time they've all built up the credits to have a chance to sit near eachother.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #13001 on: September 19, 2022, 08:38:12 pm »
I think part of the problem is we have a high % of people attending their 1st game or who only go a couple of games a season. If you compare us to say Everton or United they have more season ticket holders, therefore more people sitting/standing with people familiar to them so more likely to sing. I’m not suggesting someone going to their 1st game won’t contribute but it’s not the same as a group of people who go week in week out in the same area etc. We sell far too many memberships and there’s nowhere near enough season ticket holders in comparison to other clubs. There’s something not right when Everton have more ST holders but a much smaller ground. In my opinion the club needs to stop selling so many memberships, either cap it each season or a waiting list.
I also agree with what others have said that we are spoilt as a fan base and the crowd struggles to get up for the lesser games

You can't really compare us with Everton. Our situations are totally different. They have a relatively small fanbase that's based in the Merseyside and North Wales areas. Liverpool are local, regional, national, international and global. Everton need to get as many of their fans committed to the season as they can, and they need them to pay upfront. This is why they offer so many season tickets.

Liverpool could sell 53,000 season tickets (many more with a bigger ground) if they so wished, but that then creates even more of a closed shop than there is now. From a business point of view, the club wants and encourages the non regional LFC fan who may only make it to one game a season because it's those who tend to spend most money when they come here.

The main problem is we outgrew our stadium, and are only now trying to address this issue. Even the new ARE will barely scratch the surface.

The reality is, Everton have to try everything to drag people in, whereas Liverpool are turning away a local generation and hundreds of thousands of fans from further afield who'd love to attend.

To get the balance at Anfield right once more, we'd need a capacity big enough to accommodate our local fanbase including its upcoming youth, as well as having room to also accommodate many of those from further afield who come to see us occasionally. To do that, we would need a capacity a hell of a lot bigger than the 61,000 we'll have when the ARE is completed.

Fact is, we outgrew even a 61,000 capacity Anfield a long time ago.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline 77kop05

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13002 on: September 20, 2022, 05:55:59 am »
You can't really compare us with Everton. Our situations are totally different. They have a relatively small fanbase that's based in the Merseyside and North Wales areas. Liverpool are local, regional, national, international and global. Everton need to get as many of their fans committed to the season as they can, and they need them to pay upfront. This is why they offer so many season tickets.

Liverpool could sell 53,000 season tickets (many more with a bigger ground) if they so wished, but that then creates even more of a closed shop than there is now. From a business point of view, the club wants and encourages the non regional LFC fan who may only make it to one game a season because it's those who tend to spend most money when they come here.

The main problem is we outgrew our stadium, and are only now trying to address this issue. Even the new ARE will barely scratch the surface.

The reality is, Everton have to try everything to drag people in, whereas Liverpool are turning away a local generation and hundreds of thousands of fans from further afield who'd love to attend.

To get the balance at Anfield right once more, we'd need a capacity big enough to accommodate our local fanbase including its upcoming youth, as well as having room to also accommodate many of those from further afield who come to see us occasionally. To do that, we would need a capacity a hell of a lot bigger than the 61,000 we'll have when the ARE is completed.

Fact is, we outgrew even a 61,000 capacity Anfield a long time ago.
I guess it's a bit of a balancing act with how far you go on capacity.  It doesn't take too much to start seeing empty seats again when things turn bad . Even when we were at 44,000 capacity or whatever it was through the 90's till Klopp there was periods where the ground wouldn't be full.
  Even now and last season the amount of spares available seems to be high. I'd reckon 61,000 is fair enough,  obviously if we're challenging for most things demand will rise but still reckon a drop off on the pitch will see a big reduction in ticket demand from the fly by night glory hunters and others.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13003 on: September 20, 2022, 12:01:45 pm »
I’d rather the ticket be returned back to the club for re-sale. If you're a member, can’t go and your seat is empty then you lose the credit. For a STH, if you return so many your ticket goes to the next person on the waiting list. It’s not difficult

Why would a ticket being bought directly from the club rather than a ticket being bought from a mate that couldn't go make any difference to the atmosphere? If someone is going to contribute, it makes no difference where they get the ticket from.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline pl_kop_1969

• Main Stander
« Reply #13004 on: September 20, 2022, 12:26:18 pm »
I think part of the problem is we have a high % of people attending their 1st game or who only go a couple of games a season.

I'd guess that League Cup tickets probably get moved on most and also are likely to be on sale to members with little history. Leicester in the Carabao last season was one of the best atmospheres I can remember. That makes me doubt the problem is with the people who don't go that often. It needs a trigger unless the game itself is huge, latter stages in Europe etc. Without that trigger, it can be flat and I don't think the number of regulars/newcomers makes too much of a difference.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #13005 on: September 20, 2022, 03:39:19 pm »
Why would a ticket being bought directly from the club rather than a ticket being bought from a mate that couldn't go make any difference to the atmosphere? If someone is going to contribute, it makes no difference where they get the ticket from.
Exactly. There's no reason for thinkng someone who buys off the club is going to be any better (or worse) than someone who buys off a ticket holder (for cover price, not touts).

Not that it wouldn't be great if the club could come up with a geneuinley efficient and workable ticket exchange system of their own, which is fan focussed, with the aim of genuinely ensuring that tickets go to fans at an affordable price (not touts) and that every seat is filled to help the team along.

I'm sure the technology and IT exists now to achieve this sort of system, if the club had a will to do it.

But until that day (when hell will also freeze over) I see no problem with ticket holders passing on their tickets to another fan at cover price or less. Gaining a ticket that way doesn't make you less likely to contribute to atmosphere. That is a much more of an intrinsic quality. Some people just DO contribute and some people just DON'T. Regardless of whether they are regulars, STH or whatever.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #13006 on: September 20, 2022, 03:54:48 pm »
I guess it's a bit of a balancing act with how far you go on capacity.  It doesn't take too much to start seeing empty seats again when things turn bad . Even when we were at 44,000 capacity or whatever it was through the 90's till Klopp there was periods where the ground wouldn't be full.
  Even now and last season the amount of spares available seems to be high. I'd reckon 61,000 is fair enough,  obviously if we're challenging for most things demand will rise but still reckon a drop off on the pitch will see a big reduction in ticket demand from the fly by night glory hunters and others.

We could sell 80000 season tickets if we had the capacity. That's before the demand for individual matches on general sale.

We've had bad attendances before (often rearranged midweek games) but that was mostly in the Moores/Parry era, and pre-the digital age, where we were run like a corner shop. People wouldn't even know how to get hold of tickets. Online makes it easier.

It's a difficult balancing act with season tickets though because all those fans on waiting lists (or who can't even get on a waiting list) who've not got them are all in the pot with everyone else for general sale.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #13007 on: September 20, 2022, 05:25:30 pm »
Some good contributions from everyone in here.

For me the issue isn´t one of newcomers, regulars or every-now-and-theners. I think most of us agree that we could do entirely without the out-and-out tourists who have clearly paid well over the odds and put a load of money in the hands of a tout (who we could very obviously do without). I mean the stadium is big enough that there should be enough space for a couple of thousand out-and-out tourists to get tickets via the regular route, and I wouldn´t have a problem with it. What I don´t want to see is out-and-out tourists sat up in the £9 L-Postcode section, knowing they have probably paid at least 10-15 times the odds and denied one of the 500 seats in a stadium of 51,000+ set aside for locals. But again, that is the fault of touts, who are most likely local....

Regarding the passing on of tickets, of course it is better they are passed on then the seat simply not sat in. Indeed, if it wasn´t for tickets getting passed on, I´d go half as much as I do now, because getting tickets through the General Sales is practically a none-starter most of the time (and, as has been noted, almost never for League games). I do think if you have a season ticket, you should be obliged to personally attend a certain number of games, however.

But all that aside, I simply don´t see anyway of changing the atmosphere or getting a new generation on board within the confines of the ticketing system. For most people, and especially potential-young-regulars without connections, ticket sales are basically a closed shop. For me, the only thing that would consistently change the atmosphere and get a whole new generation in, is 10,000+ (let's say the whole Kop) tickets that are set aside to be bought in person and on the day. First come first serve, as it used to be. That way if you rock up with a group of mates, and you are there early enough, you can sit with your mates - and even if you are separated, you are in a stand with likeminded people. Not to mention it would have to be affordable (say £20 a ticket)

However, I also know that simply won´t happen. Aside from the logistics of it around Anfield, the club aren´t going to want to sacrifice the guaranteed income of pre-bought tickets. Which is why Anfield will only get older and older.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #13008 on: September 20, 2022, 06:32:21 pm »
Some good contributions from everyone in here.

For me the issue isn´t one of newcomers, regulars or every-now-and-theners. I think most of us agree that we could do entirely without the out-and-out tourists who have clearly paid well over the odds and put a load of money in the hands of a tout (who we could very obviously do without). I mean the stadium is big enough that there should be enough space for a couple of thousand out-and-out tourists to get tickets via the regular route, and I wouldn´t have a problem with it. What I don´t want to see is out-and-out tourists sat up in the £9 L-Postcode section, knowing they have probably paid at least 10-15 times the odds and denied one of the 500 seats in a stadium of 51,000+ set aside for locals. But again, that is the fault of touts, who are most likely local....

Regarding the passing on of tickets, of course it is better they are passed on then the seat simply not sat in. Indeed, if it wasn´t for tickets getting passed on, I´d go half as much as I do now, because getting tickets through the General Sales is practically a none-starter most of the time (and, as has been noted, almost never for League games). I do think if you have a season ticket, you should be obliged to personally attend a certain number of games, however.

But all that aside, I simply don´t see anyway of changing the atmosphere or getting a new generation on board within the confines of the ticketing system. For most people, and especially potential-young-regulars without connections, ticket sales are basically a closed shop. For me, the only thing that would consistently change the atmosphere and get a whole new generation in, is 10,000+ (let's say the whole Kop) tickets that are set aside to be bought in person and on the day. First come first serve, as it used to be. That way if you rock up with a group of mates, and you are there early enough, you can sit with your mates - and even if you are separated, you are in a stand with likeminded people. Not to mention it would have to be affordable (say £20 a ticket)

However, I also know that simply won´t happen. Aside from the logistics of it around Anfield, the club aren´t going to want to sacrifice the guaranteed income of pre-bought tickets. Which is why Anfield will only get older and older.
Good post

On your last point, about mates sitting together, which I agree wholeheartedly with, maybe thats someting that can return if safe-standing is reintroduced. i.e for the safe standing sections you dont buy for aparticular seat/spot, but for the section. Then once in there you stand together with your mates. Obviously a strict control on how many tickets are sold for the section, with maybe even another turnstile that counts people in a stops any more entries after the max is reached.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13009 on: October 1, 2022, 07:07:06 pm »
Non-existant.
Morons taking selfies through the game when we're 2 down.
Snapchats. People looking at other scores on their phones.

Absolutely no point. How can we have 35k season ticket holders that go to each game and things be as bad as that today.

Knew it was going to be awful when YNWA didn't even get finished off properly.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13010 on: October 1, 2022, 08:25:51 pm »
I think a lot of us there gazed up at the developing Anny Rd than down at the footy at times.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13011 on: October 1, 2022, 08:27:00 pm »
Non-existant.
Morons taking selfies through the game when we're 2 down.
Snapchats. People looking at other scores on their phones.

Absolutely no point. How can we have 35k season ticket holders that go to each game and things be as bad as that today.

Knew it was going to be awful when YNWA didn't even get finished off properly.

3pm Saturdays are always like that.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #13012 on: October 1, 2022, 08:29:16 pm »
Lower Kenny is usually a crowd of moaning arses but today was off the scale

Online jack witham

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13013 on: October 1, 2022, 08:46:07 pm »
Was in !07 on the kop today,absolutely dreadful.
I have been watching Liverpool for the best part of 60 years and today was as bad as I can ever remember.
I am sorry to say that with the exception of a couple of hundred at the back of the kop ,nobody is arsed.
Ils like going to a theme park ,everyone wants a selfie,look at me i am at Anfield.
Fucking atrocious,
As someone said they never even finished singing YNWA, what has become of us,it breaks my fucking heart to see it like this.
I am sorry but its gone and we wont get it back.
Form is temporary,Class is permanent.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13014 on: October 1, 2022, 08:53:55 pm »
3pm Saturdays are always like that.

It's just becoming the norm regardless of KO time now. The people that go and watch are there for "the experience" rather than to support the team and its awful. Don't understand how it can be the case when the majority in the ground are those on 13+ and STHs. Just shows exactly how many tickets are being passed round for christ knows how much.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13015 on: October 1, 2022, 08:54:55 pm »
It's just becoming the norm regardless of KO time now. The people that go and watch are there for "the experience" rather than to support the team and its awful. Don't understand how it can be the case when the majority in the ground are those on 13+ and STHs. Just shows exactly how many tickets are being passed round for christ knows how much.

Probably but 3pm Saturdays are always a bad atmosphere.

See what the Rangers game brings. I think a lot of people are just pissed off, added to the fact they've changed the way tickets are sold.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2022, 09:01:54 pm by Fromola »

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #13016 on: October 1, 2022, 08:59:28 pm »
State of our fans and I couldn't get any tickets

I'd sing in my scarf holding it high even two nil down

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #13017 on: October 1, 2022, 09:02:06 pm »
From personal experience this and many won’t agree but going to any league games is shite. Just full of tourists and glory hunters!

I generally believe that league games now is just for tourists and hardly any scousers especially the young ones, get to go anymore. However cups have been easier for us locals but even now especially champions league games it’s getting harder and you can see with the atmosphere.

Can somebody tell me the last time we had a decent atmosphere that wasn’t in a game that’s classed as big?
« Last Edit: October 1, 2022, 09:04:08 pm by LFCJayy »

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13018 on: October 1, 2022, 09:30:11 pm »
From personal experience this and many won’t agree but going to any league games is shite. Just full of tourists and glory hunters!

I generally believe that league games now is just for tourists and hardly any scousers especially the young ones, get to go anymore. However cups have been easier for us locals but even now especially champions league games it’s getting harder and you can see with the atmosphere.

Can somebody tell me the last time we had a decent atmosphere that wasn’t in a game that’s classed as big?

I don’t buy into that crap, I’ve had a season ticket on the kop since it was a terrace, and still my favourite atmosphere is the smallest attendance 23,000 against auxerre. I myself am from london and I chant and scream as much as anyone, I have a scouser who sits directly behind me and has done for years and all he ever does is moan and whinge, it doesn’t matter where you are from some fans are more vocal than the others.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13019 on: October 1, 2022, 09:40:53 pm »
I don’t buy into that crap, I’ve had a season ticket on the kop since it was a terrace, and still my favourite atmosphere is the smallest attendance 23,000 against auxerre. I myself am from london and I chant and scream as much as anyone, I have a scouser who sits directly behind me and has done for years and all he ever does is moan and whinge, it doesn’t matter where you are from some fans are more vocal than the others.

Some of the worst are Scouse.  Don’t sing, don’t wear colours, just moan.  Maybe they should fuck off to the waterfront stadium when it opens, they would be in their element.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #13020 on: October 1, 2022, 09:46:25 pm »
It’s been sing when you’re winning or jump on the bandwagon at a big European game for as long as I can remember to be honest

Yes the ‘tourists’ are a drain on the atmopshere, but the blame is equal along with the local season ticket holders actually selling off their tickets and the other locals who just stand their with a face like a slapped arse as mentioned above

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13021 on: October 1, 2022, 09:47:55 pm »
Some of the worst are Scouse.  Don’t sing, don’t wear colours, just moan.  Maybe they should fuck off to the waterfront stadium when it opens, they would be in their element.

The only point I’m trying to make is the fact it doesn’t matter where your from some fans scream their heads off and others sit on their hands and moan non stop.

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13022 on: October 1, 2022, 09:57:44 pm »
Sat all over Anfield, 306 by far the best Atmosphere by a country mile.

Can’t blame the tourists like, sat in the local £9 seats today, lots of tourists taking pictures during the game and locals getting annoyed. But they’ve prob been charged about £100 for a £9 ticket.

Don’t think it’s right blaming scousers either. The atmosphere is bad when things aren’t going our way, as with any club, but we pride ourselves on our home support and it’s quite disappointing when you get looked at weird for screaming and singing by a tourist with their camera out.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2022, 10:00:32 pm by RedBec1993 »

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #13023 on: October 1, 2022, 10:07:18 pm »
Does it? Or does it just show that 13+ and STHs are no different from non-STH: i.e some will sing and create atmosphere; most won't. That's the sad state of modern fandom.

I know many don't want to hear it, but I know for a fact that some STHs are among the worst at creating atmosphere; it's almost like they feel they've ponied up and now wish to be entertained without contributing anything further. And they're just as free with their phones as anyone, because phone use isn't just about capturing memories it's about capturing content for their SM and that applies to all types of attendees.

Meanwhile a lot of 'tourists' at least try and make an effort. They might not know all the songs (maybe we can go back to the old days of song sheets?) but they try and make a noise while some of the regular old arses sit there with a cob on.

And then there's all the many who are non-STH and probably non-local but who go regularly. And who contribute as much as possible to the atmosphere because they truly appreciate their good fortune, and understand what a privilege it is to be there, unlike some STH who have forgotten what it's like to have to work to get a ticket.

I'm pretty confident that even if they made the stadium 100% STH the atmosphere would be little different. Then who would people blame?

Obviously I'm playing devil's advocate a bit here; I'm not really intending to trash STH, many of whom are perfectly fine. But I'm trying to underline that poor atmosphere is a modern phenomenon regardless of the source of your ticket and just moaning on about 'tourists' and phones won't solve anything or make the problem better, though like all scapregoating, it might make those doing it feel better.

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #13024 on: October 1, 2022, 10:08:50 pm »
Yep

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13025 on: October 1, 2022, 10:15:45 pm »

Can’t blame the tourists like, sat in the local £9 seats today, lots of tourists taking pictures during the game and locals getting annoyed. But they’ve prob been charged about £100 for a £9 ticket.

Don’t think it’s right blaming scousers either. The atmosphere is bad when things aren’t going our way, as with any club, but we pride ourselves on our home support and it’s quite disappointing when you get looked at weird for screaming and singing by a tourist with their camera out.

Mentioned earlier about 23000 at Auxerre which was one of the best atmospheres ever.  There will have been at least 25000 locals in the ground today, so no reason other than apathy for the atrocious atmosphere.  And this is not dissing those who are out of the area who gave it loads today.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13026 on: October 1, 2022, 10:29:54 pm »

Absolutely you can’t put blame on locals or non locals I’ve been going to anfield for nearly 40 years and I remember anfield being dead even back then and you could blame tourists back then.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13027 on: October 1, 2022, 10:46:08 pm »
bit bizarre to me that people expected a big atmosphere... it's brighton, we're shite and it's the first half of the season still.

seen quite a few families manage to take kids etc for the first time today. it is what it is. the way the additional members sale and ballot sales are probably don't help in getting a consistent crowd together but eh.
YNWA.

Offline CornerTakenQuickly

• ORIGAAAAAAAAMIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Kopite
  • I am a Liverpudlian and I come from the Spion Kop
« Reply #13028 on: October 1, 2022, 10:50:36 pm »
It's not even as though just people in the 300s sing. It's now the back few rows of the 300s some will sing. Constantly straining my voice trying to carry the noise down to where I was in row 63. Don't know what to suggest to fix this- it's just atrocious. Felt more angry at the crowd than our defence today. I've only been going a few years so maybe I'm naive to think the crowd would still be behind the side when they're playing like they are. Can see the players are just as frustrated as we all are. Saw a few gesturing towards the crowd for more noise after we'd gone 3-2 up. How were we so quiet when we made a 3 goal comeback? Its baffling. Then there was no real response from the crowd when Brighton equalised. 10 minutes left to find a winner would have got the crowd crazy in recent years but it was just silent. Don't think there's a particular set of fans to blame. It's really a collective thing. In general as a fan base we don't seem to have the resilience that we should have because we've been spoilt with success. Its as though people stop caring if we're not in a title battle.

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #13029 on: October 1, 2022, 10:56:05 pm »
Don’t buy into it but just saying our best atmosphere at home in my opinion was Leicester in the cup…
Very easy and lots of young local fans…

Not starting any debate but clearly you can see the new glory hunters from a mile away. Tickets was in demand and the atmosphere was shite.

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13030 on: October 1, 2022, 11:00:50 pm »
Don’t buy into it but just saying our best atmosphere at home in my opinion was Leicester in the cup…
Very easy and lots of young local fans…

Not starting any debate but clearly you can see the new glory hunters from a mile away. Tickets was in demand and the atmosphere was shite.

I know what your saying buddy, but you will never get every fan singing and when I started going in the 80s and there definitely wasnt as many tourists as people call them the atmosphere was still crap except for the big games, the only difference was the kop as a terrace was 1000 times better as a fan.

Offline MPowerYNWA

• Kopite
« Reply #13031 on: October 1, 2022, 11:02:13 pm »
The fans could at least have sung the Klopp song more - yes things are bad on the field, but at least give the manager working miracles some love!

I have noticed the atmosphere usually follows how intense the players are pressing - that has become the modern day substitute for the old bone crunching challenge.

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #13032 on: October 1, 2022, 11:14:54 pm »
I know what your saying buddy, but you will never get every fan singing and when I started going in the 80s and there definitely wasnt as many tourists as people call them the atmosphere was still crap except for the big games, the only difference was the kop as a terrace was 1000 times better as a fan.
Don’t expect anything like the old days but it’s gone to something I’d never have imagined.
When we was 3-2 up, it should of been bouncing after being 2-0 down…

Sad times because we already mentioned, nows the time to get behind the lads!

Offline Bembo10

• Kemlynite
« Reply #13033 on: October 2, 2022, 08:55:10 am »
It won’t even be good for Rangers. I can see it now. They will put song us 100%. It wasn’t even good when we were in the fight for the title. I see so many absolute whoppers, grinning  and taking photos when we’re 2-0 down and I can’t tell you what I want to do with the p*cks. I look at every other league and see passionate fans. Even United last year as painful as it is to say had a decent atmosphere.

This video sums it up really:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FootyLimbs/status/1576274606897319937?t=QQxcB_8jbKgMGIAWJh9kkw&s=08

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13034 on: October 2, 2022, 09:43:20 am »
It won’t even be good for Rangers. I can see it now. They will put song us 100%. It wasn’t even good when we were in the fight for the title. I see so many absolute whoppers, grinning  and taking photos when we’re 2-0 down and I can’t tell you what I want to do with the p*cks. I look at every other league and see passionate fans. Even United last year as painful as it is to say had a decent atmosphere.

This video sums it up really:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FootyLimbs/status/1576274606897319937?t=QQxcB_8jbKgMGIAWJh9kkw&s=08

Whilst I understand a club as big as ours will have day trippers, it’s still infuriating when you see people with their phones out for a corner/free kick etc… does my head right in. Or getting their phone out to video when we score. Abysmal. What happened to living and enjoying in the moment. The best atmosphere for me so far this season was the back of 306, none stop singing all game and a huge let off when we scored the winner. Was weird in the upper main yesterday, the kop were singing allez allez allez, and some in the upper main were doing some mad clap like we were about to take a corner. I just looked and thought wtf. I do feel sorry for the day trippers/tourists who quite clearly are paying over the odds for their tickets. Like by me yesterday in the £9 area local seats.

Offline gravy red

• Kopite
« Reply #13035 on: October 2, 2022, 09:56:44 am »
Why we are questioning atmosphere at home (only) is beyond me. Yes I know how passionate we are (or should be!) but this is also happening, and has been for a few years. Our AWAY support is just as bad. If not worse. I’ve been going home away, Europe for too many years to remember. You only have to look at games like Bournemouth away to see what’s happening with (OUR) support. Different type of (supporters) these days which generate a different experience to the match going fan, supporters or what ever label you want to give.

Offline davidsteventon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13036 on: October 2, 2022, 10:01:09 am »
The league start has been a disaster. Everyone knows it. It all reflects it.

Everyone sort of knows this league season is now a bit pointless where we have to go through the motions.  (Players included).

I'd expect if we go on a run for top 4 it will come back a bit.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #13037 on: October 2, 2022, 10:14:00 am »
I think it's just a generational thing, when I was in the Kop in the 70' you lived for that Sat afternoon. Got in the ground early, had a laugh, good piss take and a sing a long. The Kop wasn't always at full pelt, but it was never dull.

That was your 90 minutes to live the game, so you didn't try and miss a thing as that moment maybe gone forever.

These days, everything is too sterile, sanitised and diluted for my liking, every moment of the game is filmed, dissected and analysised to the point of boredom. No chance you'll miss anything these days, the spontaneity and enjoyment of a 'live' event is not the same anymore in my opinion, it's hard to create a worthy atmosphere in such surroundings.

When I went to the match, 20 odd thousand (mainly local fellas) had fuck all else to do in The Kop but make the most of their time in the ground.

For a variety of reasons, it's obvious now the current version The Kop will never be as raucous or as spontaneous as back in the 60/70s. Times change, and your average Kopite now is a bit different to a long time ago, probably a bit more affluent for a start!

The only way I can see to improve atmosphere (and it's been discussed endlessly before) is a cheaper, standing area in The Kop for like minded fans, younger fans in particular, out to enjoy themselves, have a laugh and to vocally get behind the Reds, win lose or draw.

Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #13038 on: October 2, 2022, 10:17:38 am »
I think it's just a generational thing, when I was in the Kop in the 70' you lived for that Sat afternoon. Got in the ground early, had a laugh, good piss take and a sing a long. The Kop wasn't always at full pelt, but it was never dull.

That was your 90 minutes to live the game, so you didn't try and miss a thing as that moment maybe gone forever.

These days, everything is too sterile, sanitised and diluted for my liking, every moment of the game is filmed, dissected and analysised to the point of boredom. No chance you'll miss anything these days, the spontaneity and enjoyment of a 'live' event is not the same anymore in my opinion, it's hard to create a worthy atmosphere in such surroundings.

When I went to the match, 20 odd thousand (mainly local fellas) had fuck all else to do in The Kop but make the most of their time in the ground.

For a variety of reasons, it's obvious now the current version The Kop will never be as raucous or as spontaneous as back in the 60/70s. Times change, and your average Kopite now is a bit different to a long time ago, probably a bit more affluent for a start!

The only way I can see to improve atmosphere (and it's been discussed endlessly before) is a cheaper, standing area in The Kop for like minded fans, younger fans in particular, out to enjoy themselves, have a laugh and to vocally get behind the Reds, win lose or draw.

Great post, Mike. Especially the spontaneity and enjoyment aspect of it, sometimes you cannot get away from football now and it just kills all the passion for it. Nothing is off limits everything is discussed to death.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #13039 on: October 2, 2022, 10:20:24 am »
Mentioned earlier about 23000 at Auxerre which was one of the best atmospheres ever.  There will have been at least 25000 locals in the ground today, so no reason other than apathy for the atrocious atmosphere.  And this is not dissing those who are out of the area who gave it loads today.

It’s been going on for years. In 1976/7 me and my mates had the same spec on the Kop. Close by were this bunch of, to us, middle aged but certainly miserable, sour faced fuckers who moaned about everything, particularly Ian Callaghan for some bizarre reason.

That said no one paid them any attention and just got behind the team with spectacular results.