Author Topic: General decorating and DIY thread indoor and outdoors.  (Read 30395 times)

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
Re: General decorating and DIY thread indoor and outdoors.
« Reply #200 on: May 6, 2022, 04:08:04 am »
does anyone know/use some good DIY advice forums? I tried reddit but they wanted to know my whole google search history before answering a question

im wanting to build a deck and cant figure out the best option for the footings (frost line is 5'5" here..... )

What is your question ?  5’-5” frost line, really. Alaska ?, Norway ?  What did your neighbors do for theirs is my first question.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #201 on: May 6, 2022, 08:22:29 am »
I am gonna paint the ever loving shit out of the bedroom but it's bare walls now and I've washed em and have to be annoyingly methodical about it and buy primer and stuff

Think ill be alright I do need a step ladder or to grow a few feet pretty sharpish

Might have to buy newspapers to put down. You know the drill. Not bothered in forever, new at this house lark, got mad designs / colours picked and everything, big race car going NYOOM the lot

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: May 6, 2022, 02:27:28 pm »
What is your question ?  5’-5” frost line, really. Alaska ?, Norway ?  What did your neighbors do for theirs is my first question.

in canada, about an hour north of montreal.

im pretty much in a forest so neighbours arent abundant but the previous owners had an old rotten deck that was just on top of those concrete elephant feet. which looked a maverick job to say the least

but ive had mixed responses about whether or not you have to go below the frost line for a floating deck away from a building. or what a better option would be that i can DIY.

really want to avoid paying $20k+ to get people in

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: May 8, 2022, 09:28:17 pm »

im wanting to build a deck and cant figure out the best option for the footings (frost line is 5'5" here..... )

Out of wood? Don't build a decking out of wood. Think of another option. Anything...

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: May 8, 2022, 09:32:25 pm »
Just ask whether you can make the foundations solid. Will this ever fucking move if I build it? Seek the answer 'No'.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #205 on: May 9, 2022, 12:46:36 pm »
in canada, about an hour north of montreal.

im pretty much in a forest so neighbours arent abundant but the previous owners had an old rotten deck that was just on top of those concrete elephant feet. which looked a maverick job to say the least

but ive had mixed responses about whether or not you have to go below the frost line for a floating deck away from a building. or what a better option would be that i can DIY.

really want to avoid paying $20k+ to get people in

OK Now I understand.

Frost line is where the ground is stable below ground and the soil will not freeze. When soil freezes, it can 'heave' where the soil increases in size and comes up above its previous level. If you were building a house or something more substantial that needs a building permit then typically 5'-5" below grade is where you want the bottom of the footing. For something simple like a deck, then the elephant feet is a perfectly fine way to go. Putting in footings at ground level or a foot below ground will not make a whole lot of difference given your cold issues. There is a quite a bit of weight in a wooden structure, especially if you max out your span lengths.

Feel free to send me your design if you want me to look them over. I am licensed structual engineer in Virginia and do small residential stuff all the time.

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #206 on: May 9, 2022, 02:20:14 pm »
OK Now I understand.

Frost line is where the ground is stable below ground and the soil will not freeze. When soil freezes, it can 'heave' where the soil increases in size and comes up above its previous level. If you were building a house or something more substantial that needs a building permit then typically 5'-5" below grade is where you want the bottom of the footing. For something simple like a deck, then the elephant feet is a perfectly fine way to go. Putting in footings at ground level or a foot below ground will not make a whole lot of difference given your cold issues. There is a quite a bit of weight in a wooden structure, especially if you max out your span lengths.

Feel free to send me your design if you want me to look them over. I am licensed structual engineer in Virginia and do small residential stuff all the time.

thanks for the info! i should have mentioned its for a raised deck around a pool (52" high) if that makes a difference? I was thinking of using some 3' or 4' screw piles if i didnt have to go the full depth amount.

ahh structural engineer? i have another question you could maybe help with too :P ill send a pic in pm

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #207 on: May 9, 2022, 03:12:06 pm »
thanks for the info! i should have mentioned its for a raised deck around a pool (52" high) if that makes a difference? I was thinking of using some 3' or 4' screw piles if i didnt have to go the full depth amount.

ahh structural engineer? i have another question you could maybe help with too :P ill send a pic in pm

I love that you are doing a raised deck around an outdoor pool in an area with a 5'-5" frost line that is bitterly cold most of the year.

My thoughts.

Given that this is around a structure that you will not use much of the year and you probably only deck a certain portion of, then just go ahead and use the cheapest method possible, most likely elephants feet. Make all your connections with screws and not nails and always use deck hangers. That way even if you get a bit of heave off the ground, your structure has strength to hold itself together and then will settle down again with no issues. Use treated lumber. It will not last forever but will last a decent decade or so. I would suggest staining the top deck boards after the first year and then re-stain every five years. This will help the deck boards that get the most abuse with snow sitting on them. For a structure as yours I would not even consider putting Trex or similar for the shear cost and little return. You can re-deck the thing the using your own labor every few years twice for the cost difference between Trex and 5/4 treated deck boards.

I assume it was you that emailed me again from a previous issue. I asked you for more pictures and gave you my phone number.

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #208 on: May 9, 2022, 03:46:11 pm »
I love that you are doing a raised deck around an outdoor pool in an area with a 5'-5" frost line that is bitterly cold most of the year.

My thoughts.

Given that this is around a structure that you will not use much of the year and you probably only deck a certain portion of, then just go ahead and use the cheapest method possible, most likely elephants feet. Make all your connections with screws and not nails and always use deck hangers. That way even if you get a bit of heave off the ground, your structure has strength to hold itself together and then will settle down again with no issues. Use treated lumber. It will not last forever but will last a decent decade or so. I would suggest staining the top deck boards after the first year and then re-stain every five years. This will help the deck boards that get the most abuse with snow sitting on them. For a structure as yours I would not even consider putting Trex or similar for the shear cost and little return. You can re-deck the thing the using your own labor every few years twice for the cost difference between Trex and 5/4 treated deck boards.

I assume it was you that emailed me again from a previous issue. I asked you for more pictures and gave you my phone number.

ha yes. we have 6 months of snow but then 6 months of ~25-30 degrees so you have to make the best of it....

The treated wood was what i was planning for those reasons. Im confident enough with the rest of it, was just the footings that I got unsure about. Ive built a curved, tiered wooden boardwalk in the forest going down already. which was an effort.... so the deck part of not too worried about.

thanks again for your help though, its much appreciated

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: July 3, 2022, 02:03:25 pm »
Any woodworkers on here?

I'm trying to strip and repaint the old stairs in my house, does anyone know if I need to seal the knots again before repainting? I know you do that on new wood, but this wood is 100 years old and had been painted the whole time.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: July 3, 2022, 02:08:00 pm »
Any woodworkers on here?

I'm trying to strip and repaint the old stairs in my house, does anyone know if I need to seal the knots again before repainting? I know you do that on new wood, but this wood is 100 years old and had been painted the whole time.

Don't think so no as I've never done it on old wood.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: July 3, 2022, 02:14:01 pm »
Don't think so no as I've never done it on old wood.

Thanks! :)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #212 on: December 11, 2022, 08:45:22 pm »
Any advice for getting PH-neutral/acid-free/conservation tape off wood and plastic? I'm told it's permanent but is there a solvent to get rid?  .
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #213 on: December 11, 2022, 09:14:22 pm »
Try Goo Gone.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: December 13, 2022, 05:45:07 pm »
WD40, Goo Gone, a cloth and a scraper worked after a lot of scrubbing. Got to re-gloss some door frames now...

Kids, when you're masking up for painting, check you've picked the right tape up.

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: December 13, 2022, 07:16:50 pm »
WD40, Goo Gone, a cloth and a scraper worked after a lot of scrubbing. Got to re-gloss some door frames now...

Kids, when you're masking up for painting, check you've picked the right tape up.

Now the truth comes out  ;D

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: February 3, 2023, 05:01:45 pm »
When screwing two pieces of wood together is it thick into thin or thin into thick?

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: February 8, 2023, 08:44:42 pm »
When screwing two pieces of wood together is it thick into thin or thin into thick?

Did ya sort this? Not entirely sure what you mean.

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: February 8, 2023, 09:00:11 pm »

You'd always go thin into thick if possible, want to have the pointy end of the screw seated as far in as possible

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: February 8, 2023, 09:29:43 pm »
You'd always go thin into thick if possible, want to have the pointy end of the screw seated as far in as possible

Did ya sort this? Not entirely sure what you mean.

Yeah what he said above and yes I did.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: February 9, 2023, 03:47:51 am »
Any tips to make the connection better on these crappy 2-pin halogen bulbs? They are very erratic, driving me crackers
- Ta

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: February 9, 2023, 08:30:44 am »
Any tips to make the connection better on these crappy 2-pin halogen bulbs? They are very erratic, driving me crackers
- Ta

Wear gloves or use tissue/kitchen paper to handle them.  They don't like any contact with oils etc.

Also if there's more than one being used eg. inside a glass fronted cupboard then change both bulbs when only one blows as the circuit can't handle one new one and an old one.

Or just try cleaning them with tissue paper if they're constantly blowing.

At least that's how we used to get round it.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: February 9, 2023, 10:01:20 am »
^ I have to give them a tap to turn them on, and when they heat up they go off again - Bad connection right? But I wondered is there a trick to improve the contact?
I can't be arsed changing the fitting because the landlord is very "thrifty" and won't help out.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: February 9, 2023, 10:11:09 am »
^ I have to give them a tap to turn them on, and when they heat up they go off again - Bad connection right? But I wondered is there a trick to improve the contact?
I can't be arsed changing the fitting because the landlord is very "thrifty" and won't help out.

Give the connectors a clean with alcohol or white spirit and tissue to remove any grease/oils as that's usually why. 

Just don't touch any part of them with fingers.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: February 9, 2023, 10:46:01 am »
I think they go because the halogen produces  a lot of heat and this then spreads to the contacts and deteriorates them over time , also probably just cheap fittings 😀 , the new led ones ( which I’m sure you can get “ should be a lot cooler causing less problems . Red debs theory of a circuit not taking one old one and one new one sounds like a made up urban myth 😂

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: February 9, 2023, 03:03:43 pm »
I think they go because the halogen produces  a lot of heat and this then spreads to the contacts and deteriorates them over time , also probably just cheap fittings 😀 , the new led ones ( which I’m sure you can get “ should be a lot cooler causing less problems . Red debs theory of a circuit not taking one old one and one new one sounds like a made up urban myth 😂

It's what the sparky at Paul's old work told him told him mate.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: February 9, 2023, 06:36:39 pm »
It's what the sparky at Paul's old work told him told him mate.

I’m a spark myself and that’s definitely not true , a lot of the old under cabinet lights used to go because of the constant shutting of cupboard doors shaking the filaments especially on the cheaper lamps .

Customers never took to kindly to being told there lamps ( bulbs ) were not lasting long not because there was anything wrong with there electrics they were just buying cheap lamps .

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: February 12, 2023, 07:45:25 pm »
The carpet on the very bottom of the bottom riser of our stairs is wet. Nothing else in the hall is and the other side of the adjoining wall is dry. Sadly I can't get under the stairs without ripping a panel off.

Only started this week but from the look of the wood laminate it may have happened before - the slat by the stairs is a bit darker than the other slats.

We think it might be groundwater getting in as we don't know what pipes would be there that wouldn't show leakage anywhere else. The boiler is in the utility room about 6 feet away but surely if it were a boiler pipe it'd show elsewhere?

Anybody have any ideas? Cheers

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: February 12, 2023, 08:01:45 pm »
Is your boiler pressure ok? If it was out of the heating system then you’d see a slow drop in pressure on the boiler. Whilst absolutely nothing is using water in the house have a look at the water meter to see if there’s any movement at all which would show a leak on your pipework if it’s spinning.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #229 on: February 12, 2023, 10:52:33 pm »
The carpet on the very bottom of the bottom riser of our stairs is wet. Nothing else in the hall is and the other side of the adjoining wall is dry. Sadly I can't get under the stairs without ripping a panel off.

Only started this week but from the look of the wood laminate it may have happened before - the slat by the stairs is a bit darker than the other slats.

We think it might be groundwater getting in as we don't know what pipes would be there that wouldn't show leakage anywhere else. The boiler is in the utility room about 6 feet away but surely if it were a boiler pipe it'd show elsewhere?

Sadly no option. Something has to come off to allow you to look at the problem area.

Offline joe buck

• Kopite
  • La La La La La Goose Goose Goose Goose.
« Reply #230 on: February 13, 2023, 07:14:09 pm »
sounds like love island

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: March 17, 2023, 11:05:14 am »

We got a plumber out to check and long story short the condensate pipe from the boiler is cracked, leaking into the cavity under the stairs. The insurance plumber has come round today and, like the investigator, is gobsmacked at the bad job someone (maybe original builder, it's 18yo, maybe a bodge job on the utility room) has done on the piping to begin with with it going into the wall cavity and he's gobsmacked it's a copper pipe, which condensate eats through. So someone has fucked up.

Home emergency cover is paying for most of the pipe repair, but we need to get someone out to rip holes in plasterboard to check out the damage before buildings insurance will pay for fixes. The brighter lining is that the damage seems to be contained within an empty cubic cavity under the stairs between hall, stairs, utility room and living room, so if we get it fixed and lined we might be able to stick some storage in the unused space. Haven't noticed anything on the living room side of the wall, just the living room door frame next to the bottom step is bowing so will need replacing. Limited to new plasterboard, skirting, timbering in the cavity I hope.

Anyone have any thoughts?

We wanted the entire central hall-stairs-landings carpeting and decorating anyway.... 3 floors of ancient faded magnolia and beige carpet. It looks like a smoking room.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: March 20, 2023, 10:11:52 am »
We got a plumber out to check and long story short the condensate pipe from the boiler is cracked, leaking into the cavity under the stairs. The insurance plumber has come round today and, like the investigator, is gobsmacked at the bad job someone (maybe original builder, it's 18yo, maybe a bodge job on the utility room) has done on the piping to begin with with it going into the wall cavity and he's gobsmacked it's a copper pipe, which condensate eats through. So someone has fucked up.

Home emergency cover is paying for most of the pipe repair, but we need to get someone out to rip holes in plasterboard to check out the damage before buildings insurance will pay for fixes. The brighter lining is that the damage seems to be contained within an empty cubic cavity under the stairs between hall, stairs, utility room and living room, so if we get it fixed and lined we might be able to stick some storage in the unused space. Haven't noticed anything on the living room side of the wall, just the living room door frame next to the bottom step is bowing so will need replacing. Limited to new plasterboard, skirting, timbering in the cavity I hope.

Anyone have any thoughts?

We wanted the entire central hall-stairs-landings carpeting and decorating anyway.... 3 floors of ancient faded magnolia and beige carpet. It looks like a smoking room.

No idea if insurance is still the same but when we were flooded in summer '87 everything on the ground floor was replaced despite only around 6" of water coming in.

New damp proofing, plastering, decorating, skirtings, doors, frames, full fitted kitchen including appliances, living room furniture and electricals. 

They quibled over the carpets as we wanted the stairs and landing replacing too but it was open plan so we argued the stairs and landing carpet was technically the same item and eventually they included it.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: March 24, 2023, 02:06:29 am »
Assessor came round today and pretty much said everything needs ripping out and redoing, so looks like we might be alright.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: March 24, 2023, 08:44:02 am »
Assessor came round today and pretty much said everything needs ripping out and redoing, so looks like we might be alright.

Great stuff 👍

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: March 28, 2023, 09:29:31 am »
Currently building an outdoor office, has anyone built one previously (or a summerhouse)? It needs to have a solid internet connection so wondering what the best method is to make sure it's all set up and good to go

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: March 28, 2023, 09:24:59 pm »
Currently building an outdoor office, has anyone built one previously (or a summerhouse)? It needs to have a solid internet connection so wondering what the best method is to make sure it's all set up and good to go
Are you asking about the summerhouse or the internet connection?
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline ScottScott

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: March 30, 2023, 01:50:58 pm »
Are you asking about the summerhouse or the internet connection?

The internet connection sorry

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline ScottScott

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: April 12, 2023, 10:21:40 am »
I hadn't looked at those but I might change my approach now. I'm currently going with a ethernet cable routed out from my router and down into the office with a mesh system providing WiFi and some ethernet ports. It'll be done when I get the wiring done next week