Author Topic: General decorating and DIY thread indoor and outdoors.  (Read 19965 times)

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
Re: General decorating and DIY thread indoor and outdoors.
« Reply #200 on: May 6, 2022, 04:08:04 am »
does anyone know/use some good DIY advice forums? I tried reddit but they wanted to know my whole google search history before answering a question

im wanting to build a deck and cant figure out the best option for the footings (frost line is 5'5" here..... )

What is your question ?  5-5 frost line, really. Alaska ?, Norway ?  What did your neighbors do for theirs is my first question.

Offline ToneLa

• The haiku master. Kills it in transfer windows. Keeps the art alive...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED
« Reply #201 on: May 6, 2022, 08:22:29 am »
I am gonna paint the ever loving shit out of the bedroom but it's bare walls now and I've washed em and have to be annoyingly methodical about it and buy primer and stuff

Think ill be alright I do need a step ladder or to grow a few feet pretty sharpish

Might have to buy newspapers to put down. You know the drill. Not bothered in forever, new at this house lark, got mad designs / colours picked and everything, big race car going NYOOM the lot

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: May 6, 2022, 02:27:28 pm »
What is your question ?  5-5 frost line, really. Alaska ?, Norway ?  What did your neighbors do for theirs is my first question.

in canada, about an hour north of montreal.

im pretty much in a forest so neighbours arent abundant but the previous owners had an old rotten deck that was just on top of those concrete elephant feet. which looked a maverick job to say the least

but ive had mixed responses about whether or not you have to go below the frost line for a floating deck away from a building. or what a better option would be that i can DIY.

really want to avoid paying $20k+ to get people in

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: May 8, 2022, 09:28:17 pm »

im wanting to build a deck and cant figure out the best option for the footings (frost line is 5'5" here..... )

Out of wood? Don't build a decking out of wood. Think of another option. Anything...

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: May 8, 2022, 09:32:25 pm »
Just ask whether you can make the foundations solid. Will this ever fucking move if I build it? Seek the answer 'No'.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #205 on: May 9, 2022, 12:46:36 pm »
in canada, about an hour north of montreal.

im pretty much in a forest so neighbours arent abundant but the previous owners had an old rotten deck that was just on top of those concrete elephant feet. which looked a maverick job to say the least

but ive had mixed responses about whether or not you have to go below the frost line for a floating deck away from a building. or what a better option would be that i can DIY.

really want to avoid paying $20k+ to get people in

OK Now I understand.

Frost line is where the ground is stable below ground and the soil will not freeze. When soil freezes, it can 'heave' where the soil increases in size and comes up above its previous level. If you were building a house or something more substantial that needs a building permit then typically 5'-5" below grade is where you want the bottom of the footing. For something simple like a deck, then the elephant feet is a perfectly fine way to go. Putting in footings at ground level or a foot below ground will not make a whole lot of difference given your cold issues. There is a quite a bit of weight in a wooden structure, especially if you max out your span lengths.

Feel free to send me your design if you want me to look them over. I am licensed structual engineer in Virginia and do small residential stuff all the time.

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #206 on: May 9, 2022, 02:20:14 pm »
OK Now I understand.

Frost line is where the ground is stable below ground and the soil will not freeze. When soil freezes, it can 'heave' where the soil increases in size and comes up above its previous level. If you were building a house or something more substantial that needs a building permit then typically 5'-5" below grade is where you want the bottom of the footing. For something simple like a deck, then the elephant feet is a perfectly fine way to go. Putting in footings at ground level or a foot below ground will not make a whole lot of difference given your cold issues. There is a quite a bit of weight in a wooden structure, especially if you max out your span lengths.

Feel free to send me your design if you want me to look them over. I am licensed structual engineer in Virginia and do small residential stuff all the time.

thanks for the info! i should have mentioned its for a raised deck around a pool (52" high) if that makes a difference? I was thinking of using some 3' or 4' screw piles if i didnt have to go the full depth amount.

ahh structural engineer? i have another question you could maybe help with too :P ill send a pic in pm

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #207 on: May 9, 2022, 03:12:06 pm »
thanks for the info! i should have mentioned its for a raised deck around a pool (52" high) if that makes a difference? I was thinking of using some 3' or 4' screw piles if i didnt have to go the full depth amount.

ahh structural engineer? i have another question you could maybe help with too :P ill send a pic in pm

I love that you are doing a raised deck around an outdoor pool in an area with a 5'-5" frost line that is bitterly cold most of the year.

My thoughts.

Given that this is around a structure that you will not use much of the year and you probably only deck a certain portion of, then just go ahead and use the cheapest method possible, most likely elephants feet. Make all your connections with screws and not nails and always use deck hangers. That way even if you get a bit of heave off the ground, your structure has strength to hold itself together and then will settle down again with no issues. Use treated lumber. It will not last forever but will last a decent decade or so. I would suggest staining the top deck boards after the first year and then re-stain every five years. This will help the deck boards that get the most abuse with snow sitting on them. For a structure as yours I would not even consider putting Trex or similar for the shear cost and little return. You can re-deck the thing the using your own labor every few years twice for the cost difference between Trex and 5/4 treated deck boards.

I assume it was you that emailed me again from a previous issue. I asked you for more pictures and gave you my phone number.

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #208 on: May 9, 2022, 03:46:11 pm »
I love that you are doing a raised deck around an outdoor pool in an area with a 5'-5" frost line that is bitterly cold most of the year.

My thoughts.

Given that this is around a structure that you will not use much of the year and you probably only deck a certain portion of, then just go ahead and use the cheapest method possible, most likely elephants feet. Make all your connections with screws and not nails and always use deck hangers. That way even if you get a bit of heave off the ground, your structure has strength to hold itself together and then will settle down again with no issues. Use treated lumber. It will not last forever but will last a decent decade or so. I would suggest staining the top deck boards after the first year and then re-stain every five years. This will help the deck boards that get the most abuse with snow sitting on them. For a structure as yours I would not even consider putting Trex or similar for the shear cost and little return. You can re-deck the thing the using your own labor every few years twice for the cost difference between Trex and 5/4 treated deck boards.

I assume it was you that emailed me again from a previous issue. I asked you for more pictures and gave you my phone number.

ha yes. we have 6 months of snow but then 6 months of ~25-30 degrees so you have to make the best of it....

The treated wood was what i was planning for those reasons. Im confident enough with the rest of it, was just the footings that I got unsure about. Ive built a curved, tiered wooden boardwalk in the forest going down already. which was an effort.... so the deck part of not too worried about.

thanks again for your help though, its much appreciated

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century this girl does two together
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: July 3, 2022, 02:03:25 pm »
Any woodworkers on here?

I'm trying to strip and repaint the old stairs in my house, does anyone know if I need to seal the knots again before repainting? I know you do that on new wood, but this wood is 100 years old and had been painted the whole time.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: July 3, 2022, 02:08:00 pm »
Any woodworkers on here?

I'm trying to strip and repaint the old stairs in my house, does anyone know if I need to seal the knots again before repainting? I know you do that on new wood, but this wood is 100 years old and had been painted the whole time.

Don't think so no as I've never done it on old wood.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century this girl does two together
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: July 3, 2022, 02:14:01 pm »
Don't think so no as I've never done it on old wood.

Thanks! :)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly