Author Topic: Newcastle - RIP Jamal Khashoggi; Free Salma al-Shehab  (Read 1916753 times)

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Newcastle - RIP Jamal Khashoggi; Free Salma al-Shehab
« Reply #20521 on: January 12, 2023, 08:36:05 pm »
Joelinton charged with drink driving

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #20522 on: January 13, 2023, 04:28:15 am »
Celebrating a semi.  ;D

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1613592479512526873

I'm 51 so I'm celebrating a semi whenever i got one as well!
We are Liverpool!

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #20523 on: January 13, 2023, 04:39:28 am »
Joelinton charged with drink driving

I seriously never understood how people on £90k per week don't just call a limo/cab/uber or even their agent to come and pick them up. That's without that fact they're out drinking at 1AM and have a match to play later in the week.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #20524 on: January 13, 2023, 12:07:18 pm »
Newcastle United boss Eddie Howe says Joelinton's drink-driving charge came as a "shock" and he is unsure about picking him against Fulham on Sunday.

Joelinton, 26, was stopped by police in the early hours of Thursday and is scheduled to appear before magistrates on 26 January.

The Magpies, third in the Premier League, face Fulham at St James' Park.

"I'll make a decision closer to the game in consultation with him, so I'm not 100% sure," said Howe.

Yeah we know you haven't got any morals Eddie so you'll be picking him.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #20525 on: January 13, 2023, 12:08:14 pm »
Yeah we know you haven't got any morals Eddie so you'll be picking him.

Klopp still picks Firmino.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #20526 on: January 13, 2023, 12:09:12 pm »
Klopp still picks Firmino.
What's that got to do with it?
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #20527 on: January 13, 2023, 12:10:08 pm »
What's that got to do with it?

Got banned for drink driving too.

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20528 on: January 13, 2023, 12:11:07 pm »
Surprised Eddie even mentioned it. He only usually talks about football as he’s not qualified to talk about anything else.

Online Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #20529 on: January 13, 2023, 12:13:09 pm »
Got banned for drink driving too.
And?

What has that got to do with Eddie Howe leaving his morals at the door when it comes to defending his murderous owners but then trying to make out he's a man of principles when it comes to drink driving?

Wheat are the similarities with Firmino and Klopp?

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #20530 on: January 13, 2023, 12:14:47 pm »
And?

What has that got to do with Eddie Howe leaving his morals at the door when it comes to defending his murderous owners but then trying to make out he's a man of principles when it comes to drink driving?

Where are the similarities with Firmino and Klopp?

You said Howe would pick him because he hasn't any morals, by that logic, Klopp hasn't any morals for picking Bobby.  Look, I think Howe has embarrassed himself massively with avoiding talking about human rights, backing his owners, etc, but I would be amazed if there is a top level manager on the planet who wouldn't pick a key player after a drink driving charge.

Online Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #20531 on: January 13, 2023, 12:16:49 pm »
You said Howe would pick him because he hasn't any morals, by that logic, Klopp hasn't any morals for picking Bobby.  Look, I think Howe has embarrassed himself massively with avoiding talking about human rights, backing his owners, etc, but I would be amazed if there is a top level manager on the planet who wouldn't pick a key player after a drink driving charge.
No, Howe hasn't got any morals for defending his owners, hence 'we know you haven't got any morals'

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #20532 on: January 13, 2023, 12:17:25 pm »
No, Howe hasn't got any morals for defending his owners, hence 'we know you haven't got any morals'

Ok.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #20533 on: January 13, 2023, 12:19:12 pm »
ha! Mad a completely innocent (and just) comment got out of hand cos someone jumped in two footed turning it into an odd dig at Liverpool’s manager. This place is amazing every day :lmao

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #20534 on: January 15, 2023, 03:51:24 pm »
I wonder what Eddie Howe thinks of this?   ::)

Saudi prosecutors seek death penalty for academic over social media use

A prominent pro-reform law professor in Saudi Arabia is facing the death penalty for alleged crimes including having a Twitter account and using WhatsApp to share news considered “hostile” to the kingdom, according to court documents seen by the Guardian.

The arrest of Awad Al-Qarni, 65, in September 2017 represented the start of a crackdown against dissent by the then newly named crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman.

Details of the charges brought against Al-Qarni have now been shared with the Guardian by his son Nasser, who last year fled the kingdom and is living in the UK, where he has said he is seeking asylum protection. Public prosecutors have called for the death penalty in the case, but the court has yet to make a formal judgement.

Al-Qarni has been portrayed in Saudi-controlled media as a dangerous preacher, but dissidents have said Al-Qarni was an important and well-regarded intellectual with a strong social media following, including 2m Twitter followers.

Salma al-Shehab
Saudi woman given 34-year prison sentence for using Twitter
Read more
Human rights advocates and Saudi dissidents living in exile have warned that authorities in the kingdom are engaged in a new and severe crackdown on individuals who are perceived to be critics of the Saudi government. Last year, Salma al-Shehab, a Leeds PhD student and mother of two, received a 34-year sentence for having a Twitter account and for following and retweeting dissidents and activists. Another woman, Noura al-Qahtani, was sentenced to 45 years in prison for using Twitter.

But the prosecution documents shared by Nasser Al-Qarni show that the use of social media and other communications has been criminalised inside the kingdom since the beginning of Prince Mohammed’s reign.

The Saudi government and state-controlled investors have recently increased their financial stake in US social media platforms, including Twitter and Facebook, and entertainment companies such as Disney. Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, a Saudi investor, is the second-largest investor in Twitter after Elon Musk’s takeover of the social media platform. The investor was himself detained for 83 days during a so-called anti-corruption purge in 2017. Prince Alwaleed has acknowledged that he was released after he had reached an “understanding” with the kingdom that was “confidential and secret between me and the government”.

Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund, the Public Investment Fund, has separately increased its stake in Facebook and Meta, the company that owns Facebook and WhatsApp.

A translation of the charges against Al-Qarni include the law professor’s “admission” that he used a social media account under his own name (@awadalqarni) and used it “at every opportunity … to express his opinions”. The documents also state that he “admitted” participating in a WhatsApp chat, and was accused of participating in videos in which he praised the Muslim Brotherhood. Al-Qarni’s apparent use of Telegram, and creation of a Telegram account, was also included in allegations.

Jeed Basyouni, the head of Middle East and north African advocacy at Reprieve, the human rights group, said Al-Qarni’s case fits into a trend the group has observed of scholars and academics facing the death penalty for tweeting and expressing their views.

Asked about the kingdom’s investment in Facebook and Twitter, Basyouni said: “If it wasn’t so sinister, it would be farcical. It is consistent with how they’re operating under this crown prince.”

The kingdom has been seeking to project an image internationally of investing in technology, modern infrastructure, sport and entertainment, Basyouni said.

“But at the same time, that is fully irreconcilable with all the cases we are seeing, where we are talking about the public prosecutor – under the guidance of Mohammed bin Salman – calling for people to be killed for their opinions, for tweets, for conversations. They are not dangerous, they’re not calling for an overthrow of the regime,” she said.

In the US, companies with large Saudi investments or other business in Saudi have not responded to public questions about Saudi’s treatment of dissent or the imprisonment of its users. Nor has the kingdom bowed to calls from the Biden administration to improve its human rights record.

Ahmed Almutairi (also known as Ahmed Aljbreen), a Saudi who was charged with failing to register as a foreign agent when he allegedly took part in a 2014-15 conspiracy to infiltrate Twitter on behalf of the Saudi government and steal confidential user data, is considered a fugitive by the FBI after he evaded arrest in the US. The breach is believed to have led to the outing of at least one Twitter user, Abdulrahman al-Sadhan, who allegedly used a satirical account to mock the government. He was arrested and disappeared, and later sentenced to decades in prison.

Far from keeping a low profile, Almutairi’s social media accounts show him leading an active life in Riyadh, including posting an invitation and VIP pass on his Snapchat this week to a party sponsored by Netflix at Riyadh’s International Park, which was hosted by the Saudi General Entertainment Authority.

The Netflix spokesperson Richard Siklos did not respond to requests for comment about the company sponsoring an event in Riyadh whose invitation list included a man wanted by the FBI. The Netflix CEO Reed Hastings acknowledged in 2020 that it agreed to censor an episode of comedy show Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj, which included criticism of Saudi Arabia for the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, in exchange for Saudi allowing explicit content to be shown in the kingdom.

“It is beyond abhorrent that a prominent law professor faces the death penalty for using Twitter while an FBI fugitive, wanted for infiltrating Twitter’s headquarters, receives a Netflix-sponsored VIP invitation to attend a Saudi government event,” said Khalid Aljabri, who lives in exile and whose father was a former Saudi intelligence officer, and whose brother and sister are being held in the kingdom.

Saudi dissidents living in the US also became aware this week that Ibrahim Alhussayen – a Saudi who had been living in the US and pleaded guilty to lying to authorities after prosectors alleged he harassed and threatened individuals living in the US and Canada – was deported back to Saudi after serving a short sentence.

One of Alhussayen’s victims posted this week that an account belonging to the harasser sought to contact her after he was released from prison. The DOJ did not respond to a request for comment.

The Saudi government did not respond to requests for comment.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/15/saudi-arabian-academic-on-death-row-for-using-twitter-and-whatsapp?CMP=share_btn_fb&fbclid=IwAR04L4k_alYytjBhU5q9rBh4rTbxG0b6W4KjhJoTuB8PkjgZA71ZM_4Wjc4

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #20535 on: January 15, 2023, 05:25:43 pm »
Disgusting state owned c*nt of a club. Fuck them and this shitty fake underdog story.

I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #20536 on: January 15, 2023, 05:29:29 pm »

He’d say we should concentrate on the football and not bring politics into it.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20537 on: January 15, 2023, 06:43:09 pm »
Was just about to post that story. Incredible that you can get a death sentence for using technology your country invests in. These are your owners, NUFC fans.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 07:01:02 pm by thejbs »

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #20538 on: January 15, 2023, 09:11:09 pm »
It is good to see this Newcastle fan group continuing its opposition and also seeing human right organisations giving them a bigger platform to explain their campaign. I hope they keep it up, this can only help them to get their message out further.

https://youtu.be/DDg_ZGwdiJw
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20539 on: January 27, 2023, 10:43:35 pm »
Still turns my stomach to think that murdering scumbag Bin Salman and his cronies own a club in the PL. Surreal.

Actually hope Utd beat them in the EFL cup final.
Ditto....
Absolutely, fuck Newcastle and all they now stand for.
Another preferential dilemma question we're facing this week :) It's fairly easy for me to be honest, I'd want Man U to win it. They are a multiple-cup winning side, so it's not unusual. Would I fuck want that sportwashing club to win a first trophy for 70 odd years under these circumstances. Fuck Newcastle completely, RIP Jamal.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20540 on: January 28, 2023, 08:23:28 am »

He only speaks on football matters i'm afraid

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #20541 on: January 28, 2023, 08:48:14 am »
Worse than City this lot. And that's saying something, given how insufferable the former are, with a few stolen league titles already procured. Squires has them nailed perfectly as Death Star FC, with Grand Moff Howe at the helm.

What is is about sports washing despotic regimes that they are attracted to rancid meat pies of English football clubs? Is it the lack of supporter resistance and sycophantic open arm welcome they know they'd get from the down-trodden hordes?

Whatever, they can fight over the tainted, corrupt and complicit PL for all I give a shit. But, like Qatar and Abu Dhabi, may they never get their blood-soaked hands on a European Cup.

My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20542 on: January 28, 2023, 08:50:49 am »
Worse than City this lot. And that's saying something, given how insufferable the former are, with a few stolen league titles already procured. Squires has them nailed perfectly as Death Star FC, with Grand Moff Howe at the helm.

What is is about sports washing despotic regimes that they are attracted to rancid meat pies of English football clubs? Is it the lack of supporter resistance and sycophantic open arm welcome they know they'd get from the down-trodden hordes?

Whatever, they can fight over the tainted, corrupt and complicit PL for all I give a shit. But, like Qatar and Abu Dhabi, may they never get their blood-soaked hands on a European Cup.

That's why Everton are the perfect project for the next regime to take over. Their fans are desperate and like Abu Dhabi and Saudi, they'll turn a blind eye. Stadium already half built, an owner that wants out, it won't be long before we hear about despot interest in them.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20543 on: January 28, 2023, 09:07:39 am »
That's why Everton are the perfect project for the next regime to take over. Their fans are desperate and like Abu Dhabi and Saudi, they'll turn a blind eye. Stadium already half built, an owner that wants out, it won't be long before we hear about despot interest in them.
Eeeurgh. Just the thought of it on all levels. :puke2
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20544 on: January 28, 2023, 12:14:56 pm »

They'd be dancing down county road with blue tea towels on their heads, looking like the right bunch of fucking hypocrites that they are.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20545 on: January 28, 2023, 03:10:33 pm »
All that blood soaked money and they sign Gordon, fucking hell.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20546 on: January 28, 2023, 03:55:35 pm »
All that blood soaked money and they sign Gordon, fucking hell.

I hate the oil barons with passion, but they are playing it smart so far. Gordon is nothing special, but he is young, English, and represents an improvement over Fraser and a good competition for Saint-Maximin on the left. They are gradually building up their squad, without going for the big names yet. Once they have the sponsorship deals in place, and are able to offer CL football, the real spending will start ...

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20547 on: January 28, 2023, 04:14:29 pm »
I hate the oil barons with passion, but they are playing it smart so far. Gordon is nothing special, but he is young, English, and represents an improvement over Fraser and a good competition for Saint-Maximin on the left. They are gradually building up their squad, without going for the big names yet. Once they have the sponsorship deals in place, and are able to offer CL football, the real spending will start ...

... and so it will be the beginning of the end of decent balanced football. With the plastics and barcodes throwing their dicks in every pie they see, the pickings will be very slim indeed.

grim.
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20548 on: January 28, 2023, 04:25:51 pm »
... and so it will be the beginning of the end of decent balanced football. With the plastics and barcodes throwing their dicks in every pie they see, the pickings will be very slim indeed.
Did you just make that strange idiom up?  :o

Or maybe a reference to this...?

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20549 on: January 28, 2023, 05:57:22 pm »
hah no! more in some weird reference to to dick swingers and thumb in every pie (club) quip.

- all in my opinion of course -

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #20550 on: January 31, 2023, 01:32:55 pm »

Secretive Saudi executions leave families in the dark

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-64338876

Something to be proud of in Newcastle

aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #20551 on: January 31, 2023, 01:49:33 pm »
Secretive Saudi executions leave families in the dark

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-64338876

Something to be proud of in Newcastle
"Can't we just concentrate on the football?" Said most Geordies.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20552 on: January 31, 2023, 01:55:57 pm »
"Can't we just concentrate on the football?" Said most Geordies.
They also said, ‘Their country, they’re rules. They saved us from the tyrannical rule of Mike Ashley , so they’re not all bad’.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #20553 on: January 31, 2023, 01:56:47 pm »
They also said, ‘Their country, they’re rules. They saved us from the tyrannical rule of Mike Ashley , so they’re not all bad’.

His sports emporium, his rules.

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20554 on: January 31, 2023, 03:39:59 pm »
His sports emporium, his rules.
Don’t think it quite works that way.
He didn’t win them the Carabou cup, a despicable crime in the eyes of the Geordies.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #20555 on: January 31, 2023, 04:49:34 pm »
When are they changing their colours to Black, white and red?
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20556 on: January 31, 2023, 08:15:51 pm »
You racist bastards,they're sponsoring the Womens WC and yet all you can talk about are their historical misdeeds.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20557 on: January 31, 2023, 08:19:26 pm »
You racist bastards,they're sponsoring the Womens WC and yet all you can talk about are their historical misdeeds.
Fair enough, I mean we shouldn’t really go on about their despotic  behaviour as no one ever mentions what the cavemen got up to.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20558 on: January 31, 2023, 09:54:57 pm »
Newcastle faking head injuries and timewasting, where have we seen that before?

Online smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20559 on: January 31, 2023, 10:07:29 pm »
Hopefully Man United twat them in the final.