Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 278952 times)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #2800 on: March 11, 2022, 06:57:12 am »
The Woodpeckers in Caldies Park this morning sounded brilliant. Really cracking at the trees, echoing everywhere. Superb.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2801 on: March 11, 2022, 07:35:54 am »
There was one near me yesterday, could hear him for hours. There must be easier ways to find food?!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2802 on: March 11, 2022, 08:13:22 am »
There was one near me yesterday, could hear him for hours. There must be easier ways to find food?!
Without getting a headache   ;D

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2803 on: March 11, 2022, 04:19:52 pm »
The Woodpeckers in Caldies Park this morning sounded brilliant. Really cracking at the trees, echoing everywhere. Superb.
We saw one in Sefton Park the other week, but he was probing the bark looking for insects.

Also spotted a pair of Ring-Necked Parakeets nesting in a hole a woodpecker had made.  :)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2804 on: March 20, 2022, 11:31:11 am »
I am so angry. The fire which happened on the marshes around Parkgate was said to have been started deliberately. Not only did the arses who start this put people's lives at risk but they have probably destroyed part of a unique and vital territory for a number of birds and wildlife whose status is already on the danger list. I just cannot even begin to imagine what gets in the mind of people who do damage like this? What possible joy can they get out of it?  :'( :no

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/rspb-cheshire-fire-and-rescue-service-people-wirral-twitter-b2039853.html
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 11:35:12 am by jillc »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2805 on: March 20, 2022, 11:40:25 am »
Today

Robins, Larks?, Magpies, Wood Pigeons, Blackbirds, Doves and some others I'm not too sure about (Little titchy things - with yellow markings - maybe a tit or something?)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2806 on: March 20, 2022, 11:55:27 am »
Today

Robins, Larks?, Magpies, Wood Pigeons, Blackbirds, Doves and some others I'm not too sure about (Little titchy things - with yellow markings - maybe a tit or something?)

Goldfinch?

I saw the kite again today, cruising around serenely while a few crows and parakeets made a right racket following him around. Didn’t look too arsed.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2807 on: March 20, 2022, 12:13:27 pm »
I am so angry. The fire which happened on the marshes around Parkgate was said to have been started deliberately. Not only did the arses who start this put people's lives at risk but they have probably destroyed part of a unique and vital territory for a number of birds and wildlife whose status is already on the danger list. I just cannot even begin to imagine what gets in the mind of people who do damage like this? What possible joy can they get out of it?  :'( :no

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/rspb-cheshire-fire-and-rescue-service-people-wirral-twitter-b2039853.html

All those ground nesting birds. 

Harriers, Pippin's, larks, probably short eared owls.

Annoys the hell out of me too.  Just ignorant thick bastards 😡

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2808 on: March 20, 2022, 12:28:41 pm »
All those ground nesting birds. 

Harriers, Pippin's, larks, probably short eared owls.

Annoys the hell out of me too.  Just ignorant thick bastards 😡

Lot's of little lizards around there as well, it's just horrible. I have seen pictures this morning and it's just a huge area now blackened out it could be years before the area recovers. It's crucial for the raptors as well they get a lot of their diet there, especially Harriers which I had the pleasure of watching there last week. It just makes you despair of people acting without thinking about the consequences of their actions.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2809 on: March 20, 2022, 01:11:48 pm »
Goldfinch?

I saw the kite again today, cruising around serenely while a few crows and parakeets made a right racket following him around. Didn’t look too arsed.

No kind of darker with a hint of blue and yellow on it

Only saw it once, so not sure

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2810 on: March 20, 2022, 04:38:09 pm »
That's terrible Jill, I didn't know about that. Scumbags.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #2811 on: March 20, 2022, 05:34:19 pm »
No kind of darker with a hint of blue and yellow on it

Only saw it once, so not sure

Tit
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2812 on: March 20, 2022, 05:48:41 pm »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #2813 on: March 20, 2022, 05:49:53 pm »
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2814 on: March 20, 2022, 08:49:28 pm »
RSPB Burton Mere Wetlands
@RSPB_BurtonMere
·
1h
We’re still hurting from the #fire that ravaged #Neston Reedbed yesterday evening, but we’re overwhelmed by the public support.

We’d like to thank the emergency services for all they’ve done so far in helping to tackle and investigate the fire.

(1/2)

RSPB Burton Mere Wetlands
@RSPB_BurtonMere
This part of our reserve is home to significant wildlife including Cetti’s warblers & bitterns. Marsh harriers were building nests on marshland that has sadly been lost to fire. Full extent of the damage is still being assessed & we’ll share further details when we’re able. (2/2)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2815 on: March 21, 2022, 10:43:02 am »
Tit

:D

This looks similar - but the body and wings were blue-er...

It had nowhere near as much yellow as the others

I'll try and get a photo of some of them

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2816 on: March 21, 2022, 03:23:58 pm »
Watching a small flock of gold finches feeding on the Niger seeds and right behind them, in the field a lamb's just been born 🥰

Awe it's just stood up after a good clean from mum 🤗

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2817 on: March 21, 2022, 03:59:15 pm »
And now baby number two 🥰
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 04:08:07 pm by reddebs »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2818 on: March 21, 2022, 04:24:37 pm »
Watching a small flock of gold finches feeding on the Niger seeds and right behind them, in the field a lamb's just been born 🥰

Awe it's just stood up after a good clean from mum 🤗

Amazing stuff! :)

I once saw a giraffe being born in Knowsely Safari Park when I was a kid.

Incredible experience.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2819 on: March 21, 2022, 11:20:28 pm »
The wonders of Andy managing to discuss a giraffe born in captivity in the ornithology thread :)
Brilliant.

My Niger seeds weren't a success last year, they were untouched despite the plethora of Goldfinches in the area. I ended up mixing them.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2820 on: March 22, 2022, 06:35:28 pm »
This is unreal. I've got a Sparrowhawk currently roosting in our living room, sat by the table lamp.

I found it injured outside. It can't fly but almost scurried into the main road in front of cars. Off to the rescue centre tomorrow. In the meantime, it's roosting while we watch telly. 😊
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2821 on: March 22, 2022, 06:45:48 pm »
The wonders of Andy managing to discuss a giraffe born in captivity in the ornithology thread :)
Brilliant.

My Niger seeds weren't a success last year, they were untouched despite the plethora of Goldfinches in the area. I ended up mixing them.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2822 on: March 22, 2022, 07:05:32 pm »
This is unreal. I've got a Sparrowhawk currently roosting in our living room, sat by the table lamp.

I found it injured outside. It can't fly but almost scurried into the main road in front of cars. Off to the rescue centre tomorrow. In the meantime, it's roosting while we watch telly. 😊

Did you carry it into your house? How did you manage that?!

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2823 on: March 22, 2022, 08:29:09 pm »
Did you carry it into your house? How did you manage that?!
It could only run about on the ground, so I ushered it into a corner then put an old jumper over it so I could pick it up and bring it indoors without getting ripped to bits by his talons. We've given it a free run in the living room. It's currently roosting on a cushion on a chair.

I'll take it to a rescue centre tomorrow when they open. He's asleep just now. It's amazing though. A bird of prey asleep on your chair. 😲

What the hell is it with me? A few years ago I also found a snake in my parents' shed. I put that in a big container and the RSPCA picked it up the following day.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 08:32:18 pm by Son of Spion »

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #2824 on: March 22, 2022, 11:05:30 pm »
Any pictures?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2825 on: March 22, 2022, 11:11:08 pm »
Any pictures?
I've taken a couple on my phone but don't know how to post them. The site always tells me the files are too big when I try to put pictures on here.

He's still fast asleep on the chair.

Edit: just tried again, and it said file too big.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 11:15:09 pm by Son of Spion »

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2826 on: March 22, 2022, 11:12:12 pm »
I've taken a couple on my phone but don't know how to post them. The site always tells me the files are too big when I try to put pictures on here.

Wow, that is amazing.  ;D

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2827 on: March 22, 2022, 11:16:28 pm »
Wow, that is amazing.  ;D
It is. Mrs Spion has fallen in love with him. 😍

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2828 on: March 23, 2022, 09:42:24 am »
The injured Sparrowhawk (now called Spadge) has had a comfortable night roosting on a cushion on the chair. He'll be off to the rescue centre when it opens shortly. We're going to miss him, but he needs to be well again and soaring around the skies.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2829 on: March 23, 2022, 11:23:55 am »
The injured Sparrowhawk (now called Spadge) has had a comfortable night roosting on a cushion on the chair. He'll be off to the rescue centre when it opens shortly. We're going to miss him, but he needs to be well again and soaring around the skies.
Amazing that mate. Well in for spotting it and hope it makes it.
You couldn't lend it us to scare the fucking pigeons around the house could you  ;)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2830 on: March 23, 2022, 11:31:55 am »
Well done mate!! Good on you.

Poor thing, hope it makes a full recovery.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2831 on: March 23, 2022, 11:40:06 am »
We've had a typical spring morning chorus today.

Blackbirds, robins, dunnocks, sparrows, tits, finches, buzzards and the chiff chaffs are back from Africa for the summer.

A beautiful sunrise over Liverpool then a couple of red squirrels on the feeders completed the idyll.

Well done with the sparrowhawk SoS, not many people would know how to catch one so let's hope it's fixable.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2832 on: March 23, 2022, 11:50:49 am »

Edit: just tried again, and it said file too big.

Register with photobox, put the pics on there and then right click on the image, select copy image address (IIRC) and then post it inbetween the image tags.

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2833 on: March 23, 2022, 04:38:35 pm »
*Update on Spadge*

Thanks for the comments, everyone.  :)

I took him to Freshfields Animal Rescue this morning. The bad news is they couldn't take him due to avian flu. No new wild birds allowed onsite, unfortunately.

The nearest place they knew of capable of looking after him was in Cheshire, not far from Knutsford. Anyway, we drove him there and he made the trip ok.

What an amazing little sanctuary it is too. They have a Snowy Owl, Eagle Owl, Barn Owl, two Tawny Owls, Buzzards and a Peregrine Falcon as well as other birds and animals. I think he's in the best hands there, and it was well worth making the trip to, hopefully, get him sorted.

He was checked over on arrival. His wing is damaged but the lady say she couldn't find a break in it. He seems bruised and sore, so maybe he crashed into something or was glanced by a vehicle of some kind. Fingers crossed for the little man. We grew rather attached to him while he was with us.

Rob - Thanks for the photos tip. I'll try again later on tonight.

8)

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2834 on: March 23, 2022, 04:43:24 pm »
*Update on Spadge*

I took him to Freshfields Animal Rescue this morning. The bad news is they couldn't take him due to avian flu. No new wild birds allowed onsite, unfortunately.

The nearest place they knew of capable of looking after him was in Cheshire, not far from Knutsford. Anyway, we drove him there and he made the trip ok.

What an amazing little sanctuary it is too. They have a Snowy Owl, Eagle Owl, Barn Owl, two Tawny Owls, Buzzards and a Peregrine Falcon as well as other birds and animals. I think he's in the best hands there, and it was well worth making the trip to, hopefully, get him sorted.

He was checked over on arrival. His wing is damaged but the lady say she couldn't find a break in it. He seems bruised and sore, so maybe he crashed into something or was glanced by a vehicle of some kind. Fingers crossed for the little man. We grew rather attached to him while he was with us.

8)

Did you drop it at Gauntlet Birds of Prey?

This is one of my pics on photobox

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2835 on: March 23, 2022, 04:47:47 pm »
^
Great picture there Rob.

The place he's at is called Lower Moss Wood.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2836 on: March 23, 2022, 05:54:06 pm »
^
Great picture there Rob.

The place he's at is called Lower Moss Wood.

Sound, hopefully they can nurse him back to health and release back to the wild

This fella was cute

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2837 on: March 23, 2022, 05:57:05 pm »
*Update on Spadge*

8)

That might have been where I had my bird of prey experience, as that was near Knutsford. I am so glad that he made it there, fingers crossed he'll be soaring into the air shortly.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2838 on: March 23, 2022, 05:58:12 pm »
Did you drop it at Gauntlet Birds of Prey?

This is one of my pics on photobox

You must have gone to the same place I did, rob. Fantastic photos.  :D

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2839 on: March 23, 2022, 06:12:11 pm »
You must have gone to the same place I did, rob. Fantastic photos.  :D

If it was, it's called Gauntlet. It was a great day out