Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 278978 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #2720 on: January 14, 2022, 12:06:25 pm »
It's amazing seeing how agile the Sparrowhawk is. I was driving down Serpentine South in Blundellsands earlier when one flew straight across my windscreen like an arrow, before tucking his wings in and flying through a load of tree branches then out the other side in the blink of an eye.

They're mad aren't they, I'd hate to be a bird that came into its sights.

I remember seeing one whizz across our garden, up and over the fences like a fighter plane on a low level run and then shoot behind next doors shed. It looked like it was after something.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2721 on: January 14, 2022, 01:28:21 pm »

I remember seeing one whizz across our garden, up and over the fences like a fighter plane on a low level run and then shoot behind next doors shed. It looked like it was after something.

The thing is, most birds the first thing they will know is being caught within seconds, especially in cities. It would be different in the countryside perhaps though. I remember one of our garden starlings getting caught by one, he didn't know it was coming!  :-\
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2722 on: January 14, 2022, 01:47:48 pm »

Like a stealth fighter jet. So fast, yet incredibly precise. Amazing!
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2723 on: January 15, 2022, 04:34:34 pm »
Oh my I had a grisly sight in the back. Just by where the bins are there where white feathers and then I spotted a bird's leg and some insides on the ground. I've not seen my two lovely doves since, suspect one of them has been caught by the local sparrow-hawk.  :(

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2724 on: January 15, 2022, 05:00:25 pm »
Oh my I had a grisly sight in the back. Just by where the bins are there where white feathers and then I spotted a bird's leg and some insides on the ground. I've not seen my two lovely doves since, suspect one of them has been caught by the local sparrow-hawk.  :(

Awe how sad cos they're inseparable once they pair up 😔

We have a pair who come to the feeders every day and they're so lovely to watch.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2725 on: January 15, 2022, 05:23:22 pm »
Awe how sad cos they're inseparable once they pair up 😔

We have a pair who come to the feeders every day and they're so lovely to watch.

I still haven’t seen them. 😔. I will miss the two of them.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2726 on: January 15, 2022, 05:30:45 pm »
I still haven’t seen them. 😔. I will miss the two of them.

As sad as it is it's also a good time for the surviving bird as they'll find a new mate this spring.

I noticed blue tits checking out the nest boxes earlier this week and the sparrows are doing their fluffy courtship dances 🤗

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2727 on: January 15, 2022, 05:52:57 pm »
As sad as it is it's also a good time for the surviving bird as they'll find a new mate this spring.

I noticed blue tits checking out the nest boxes earlier this week and the sparrows are doing their fluffy courtship dances 🤗

I really miss not seeing blue tits every day. I get them some times but they are mostly goldfinches, sparrows and starlings at the moment. It would be lovely for you to get one in the nest box. Do you have a camera set up?

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2728 on: January 15, 2022, 05:59:30 pm »
I really miss not seeing blue tits every day. I get them some times but they are mostly goldfinches, sparrows and starlings at the moment. It would be lovely for you to get one in the nest box. Do you have a camera set up?

Not in the nest boxes but I've just got a spotting camera for the garden with night vision and motion sensors.

I only got it yesterday but we didn't get anything on it last night but hopeful for tonight as we've set it up in a different spot and had a stoat run out right in front of us and across the garden whilst we were setting it up.

I can't wait to see what might venture into the garden at night.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2729 on: January 15, 2022, 06:18:34 pm »
Your set-up sounds a bit like my sisters. She lives in Derbyshire right high up by the hills and they also had a camera which they change from time to time. They've always had badgers visiting them most nights. But since the camera was fitted they have discovered, foxes, hedgehogs, shrews, rather big rats ( :-\) and loads of different birds obviously. But one of my favourite times there was looking at what the camera had caught the night before.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2730 on: January 15, 2022, 06:38:09 pm »
Your set-up sounds a bit like my sisters. She lives in Derbyshire right high up by the hills and they also had a camera which they change from time to time. They've always had badgers visiting them most nights. But since the camera was fitted they have discovered, foxes, hedgehogs, shrews, rather big rats ( :-\) and loads of different birds obviously. But one of my favourite times there was looking at what the camera had caught the night before.

We're very lucky where we are as we get farmland and woodland birds/animals but also sea birds and waders as we're so close to the beach and estuary.

Having godwits, ravens and whimbrels regularly flying over in quite big numbers is great.  We have pheasants, partridge, buzzards and kestrels too. 

I was out in the garden this morning listening to two robins singing to each other then the drumming of woodpeckers in the distance.

We had a mallard nest in the garden last summer but I'm not sure the eggs survived to hatching as that's when the stoats were active.

We've had a few rats, stoats, rabbits, hares and hedgehogs in the garden and I've seen foxes in the fields next to us, which is a worry when we're surrounded by sheep that will be lambing any day now.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2731 on: January 15, 2022, 06:46:35 pm »
We're very lucky where we are as we get farmland and woodland birds/animals but also sea birds and waders as we're so close to the beach and estuary.

Having godwits, ravens and whimbrels regularly flying over in quite big numbers is great.  We have pheasants, partridge, buzzards and kestrels too. 

I was out in the garden this morning listening to two robins singing to each other then the drumming of woodpeckers in the distance.

We had a mallard nest in the garden last summer but I'm not sure the eggs survived to hatching as that's when the stoats were active.

We've had a few rats, stoats, rabbits, hares and hedgehogs in the garden and I've seen foxes in the fields next to us, which is a worry when we're surrounded by sheep that will be lambing any day now.

It sounds like paradise.  :D

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2732 on: January 15, 2022, 06:50:15 pm »
It sounds like paradise.  :D

It would be if it wasn't so wet and windy 😂

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2733 on: January 18, 2022, 10:08:35 am »
Saw an Owl yesterday, an owl owl, not an owl lookalike  :D

It was about 4pm perched on a wire on a country lane going through farmland. About a foot tall, mainly dark feathers with a few lighter patches. Think it was a tawny, any other possibilities?

Made up though, never spotted one before.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2734 on: January 18, 2022, 10:14:00 am »

It was about 4pm perched on a wire on a country lane going through farmland. About a foot tall, mainly dark feathers with a few lighter patches. Think it was a tawny, any other possibilities?

Does sound like a Tawny as they are darker than a barn owl from what I have seen.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2735 on: January 18, 2022, 11:56:10 am »

Sounds like a Tawny or a Short-eared Owl.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2736 on: January 20, 2022, 05:19:09 pm »
I was just setting the camera up in a new place, hidden behind the Camelia looking down the hedge line towards the bird feeder and two long tailed tits arrived, feasting on the peanuts 🥰

I was crouched down for a good ten minutes watching them and also so I didn't disturb them.

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2737 on: January 20, 2022, 08:08:17 pm »
I was just setting the camera up in a new place, hidden behind the Camelia looking down the hedge line towards the bird feeder and two long tailed tits arrived, feasting on the peanuts 🥰

I was crouched down for a good ten minutes watching them and also so I didn't disturb them.
Had one (I only spotted one but suspect there may have been more than one as don't they move about in groups?) visit the feeders the other week.

Love them, like little feathery lollipops.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2738 on: January 20, 2022, 08:10:34 pm »
Had one (I only spotted one but suspect there may have been more than one as don't they move about in groups?) visit the feeders the other week.

I call them fluffy teddybears ☺️

It's the first time we've had them on the feeders although we've had them in the garden before.

They're little cuties though for sure.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2739 on: January 20, 2022, 08:44:27 pm »

I always see them as furry golf balls with long tails.  :)

Beautiful little birds.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2740 on: January 20, 2022, 08:45:28 pm »
I saw my doves, so it wasn't them which bought it at the weekend after all. Maybe it was my woodie?  :-\

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2741 on: January 20, 2022, 10:07:45 pm »
I saw my doves, so it wasn't them which bought it at the weekend after all. Maybe it was my woodie?  :-\
Great news about the doves.  :)

Hopefully Woody turns up too.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2742 on: January 21, 2022, 02:05:31 pm »
So as nesting season approaches, I was wondering does anyone have nest boxes??

I cleaned mine out the other day and have fitted metal plates to the fronts this year.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2743 on: January 21, 2022, 07:11:28 pm »

Yes, 7  ;D
Some Great Tits were having a peak today.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2744 on: January 21, 2022, 08:00:17 pm »
Yes, 7  ;D
Some Great Tits were having a peak today.

Bloody hell mate, you got your own park or something?  ;D

I've got two - one at the back of the garden and one at front.  The one at the back gets used every year, the one at the front not so.

You could see where something has had a go at the holes at one of them, so I decided to fit them with metal plates this year.  Hopefully, it wont put the birds off nesting in them.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 08:05:35 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2745 on: January 21, 2022, 08:14:40 pm »

I cleaned mine out the other day and have fitted metal plates to the fronts this year.

I've got 2 up, both cleaned and repaired after the summer.

One has had quite a bit of interest from blue tits, I'm not sure about the other one but I've not seen anything round it yet. 

I'm not sure it's in the best place though as it's on a fence post and only about a meter high, although there's plenty of hedge cover. 

The other one is in a spruce and the blue tits are always flirting in and out of it.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2746 on: January 22, 2022, 08:23:36 am »
I've got 2 up, both cleaned and repaired after the summer.

One has had quite a bit of interest from blue tits, I'm not sure about the other one but I've not seen anything round it yet. 

I'm not sure it's in the best place though as it's on a fence post and only about a meter high, although there's plenty of hedge cover. 

The other one is in a spruce and the blue tits are always flirting in and out of it.

A metre is fine, but that is the minimum.  It should be north or east facing, so it doesn't overheat in the summer.  Also need a clear flight path in and out of the box.  People get carried away that you need to place it high or out the way, but its more important to have it where you can easily get to it.  Mine are about 1.5 - 2 metres off the ground.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2747 on: January 22, 2022, 09:08:37 am »
Bloody hell mate, you got your own park or something?  ;D

The garden is about 27 yard x 11 yards so I'm able to spread them out a bit. There's usually 3 or 4 occupied.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2748 on: January 22, 2022, 10:06:41 am »
A metre is fine, but that is the minimum.  It should be north or east facing, so it doesn't overheat in the summer.  Also need a clear flight path in and out of the box.  People get carried away that you need to place it high or out the way, but its more important to have it where you can easily get to it.  Mine are about 1.5 - 2 metres off the ground.

I'd love to put a couple up but the bastard fucking cats around here would be all over it, fucking scabby little c*nts.

Offline rothers

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #2749 on: January 26, 2022, 10:03:12 pm »
Anyone else doing the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch? (I know I feel a right old git even asking)

Apparently over a million other old gits took part last year! :D

Be wowed by your local wildlife. Big Garden Birdwatch is for everyone, whether you're a complete beginner or a birding expert. Simply count the birds you see in your garden, from your balcony or in your local park for one hour between 28 and 30 January 2022.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2750 on: January 26, 2022, 10:05:37 pm »
Dropped my daughter at school this morning, as I walked home something caught my eye and there was a kite circling. Obviously eyeing up a small child from the playground for breakfast. :D Such a graceful sight.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2751 on: January 26, 2022, 10:09:19 pm »
Anyone else doing the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch? (I know I feel a right old git even asking)

Be wowed by your local wildlife. Big Garden Birdwatch is for everyone, whether you're a complete beginner or a birding expert. Simply count the birds you see in your garden, from your balcony or in your local park for one hour between 28 and 30 January 2022.

We were planning on doing it but I'm away working so we've not bothered unfortunately.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2752 on: January 26, 2022, 10:40:52 pm »

Yes, I'm doing it managed to get a few people at work to do it as well.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #2753 on: January 27, 2022, 08:00:27 am »
Yes, I'm doing it managed to get a few people at work to do it as well.

We get a good selection in our garden, lots of cool birds from gangs of passing long tailed tits to a green woodpecker looking for ants on the lawn and lots in between. But when I did the birdwatch thing last year in an hour it was a lone dunnock and a couple of blue tits !!

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2754 on: January 27, 2022, 05:31:14 pm »
We get a good selection in our garden, lots of cool birds from gangs of passing long tailed tits to a green woodpecker looking for ants on the lawn and lots in between. But when I did the birdwatch thing last year in an hour it was a lone dunnock and a couple of blue tits !!

That always happens, just exaggerate a bit about it! If I get nothing inside that hour I go onto another hour! ;)

You get a great selection in my old place I was really lucky so many different types of birds. But we've had to downsize now so it's more like a terraced garden which I am trying to turn into a more environment friendly garden. But it obviously takes time to do. Having said all that I still get my goldies although I feel as if they spend less time and the sparrows and starlings have taken over more. The tits tend to visit once in a while, but I've never seen bullfinches or chaffinches here though I saw quite a few in my old place. The chaffinches have crashed this year according to the latest from the BTO, really sad.  :(

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #2755 on: January 27, 2022, 08:21:09 pm »
That always happens, just exaggerate a bit about it! If I get nothing inside that hour I go onto another hour! ;)

You get a great selection in my old place I was really lucky so many different types of birds. But we've had to downsize now so it's more like a terraced garden which I am trying to turn into a more environment friendly garden. But it obviously takes time to do. Having said all that I still get my goldies although I feel as if they spend less time and the sparrows and starlings have taken over more. The tits tend to visit once in a while, but I've never seen bullfinches or chaffinches here though I saw quite a few in my old place. The chaffinches have crashed this year according to the latest from the BTO, really sad.  :(

Yeah I did lie a bit Jill but not a bad lie. Just listed some of the birds that regularly visit, like the goldies, robins blackbirds and the usual suspects.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2756 on: January 28, 2022, 12:14:57 am »
Seen quite a few knocking about

We have two (or more?) Families of Wood Pigeons - about 8 of them I'd say - They seem to have scared the magpies off because the Magpies don't come into our garden any more (Though I quite often see them hanging around distant rooftops)

We have at least 4 blackbirds

I've seen at least 3 robins

I've also seen several smaller chirpy birds (Sparrows? Tits?) something like that

I feed them wild bird seed which they love and bits of spare bread when we have it. I've also got a bird fountain and most can be seen having a good glug at random times of day

Also quite often see seagulls circling overhead, but they rarely land in the garden.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2757 on: January 29, 2022, 01:24:22 pm »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2758 on: January 30, 2022, 03:08:59 pm »
How did everyone's bird watch go? Did anyone get anything unusual? I managed to count in a Pied Wagtail which followed me to Morrisons on Saturday. Apart from that the usual crowd of Goldfinches, Sparrows, Starlings, Blue and Great Tits, Doves.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2759 on: January 30, 2022, 06:09:18 pm »
Yep, went well, saw a lot on the list, wish I could get Chaffinches round here though.

One of the most pleasing things for me this year is the regularity of seeing a pair of Jays. For years they've been just autumn visitors but they are definitely settled in one of next doors big trees. One was right up to the patio this morning, I've never been so close to one. Lovely.