Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 282418 times)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #2680 on: December 10, 2021, 06:57:11 pm »
They were fairly low but you could be right mate, I'm annoyed I didn't get a video.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #2681 on: December 11, 2021, 09:13:22 am »
Large Heron just flown over my house, haven't seen one for a while. 

We also get a daily flight of geese overhead.   Not sure what breed.  They make some racket though  ;D
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2682 on: December 11, 2021, 10:32:02 am »
Large Heron just flown over my house, haven't seen one for a while. 

We also get a daily flight of geese overhead.   Not sure what breed.  They make some racket though  ;D

I ran past a heron the other day ali the canal. Always think it’s going to skewer my bare legs with its beak. :D

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #2683 on: December 11, 2021, 10:45:11 am »
I ran past a heron the other day ali the canal. Always think it’s going to skewer my bare legs with its beak. :D

Haha - vicious looking aren't they?
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2684 on: December 18, 2021, 01:16:13 pm »
This is really distressing, even more so for me as Puffins are my favourite sea bird.  :(

‘Puffin wreck’: More than 100 dead birds wash up on Scottish shores in worst incident in 50 years

http://a.msn.com/01/en-gb/AARUTiO?ocid=st
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2685 on: December 18, 2021, 03:23:48 pm »
This is a beautiful short video of a Barn Owl flying in day time hours.

https://youtu.be/M-a6QjHrI_c

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2686 on: December 18, 2021, 08:13:13 pm »

Absolutely majestic. "Running down the wing" in fact.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2687 on: December 18, 2021, 08:17:16 pm »
Superb Jill, sent that on to my mate.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2688 on: December 18, 2021, 08:24:36 pm »

♥️My favourite bird♥️
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2689 on: December 19, 2021, 05:35:10 am »
We had a male Tawny Owl hooting outside our window in the tree directly across from our bedroom window last night. Another one a little bit up the Glen calling back. We get loads of them but that’s the closest we’ve had it (hence me being up). ;D
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2690 on: December 19, 2021, 05:37:32 am »

Beautiful that
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2691 on: December 19, 2021, 10:59:26 am »
I'm glad everyone enjoyed it. I'm yet to see one in the wild as of yet. I think we had one fly over the car late at night when we came back from a hospital visit which was weird as it came out of nowhere. Very ghostly.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #2692 on: December 25, 2021, 03:49:59 am »
Violet backed starling spotted on a recent holiday.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2693 on: December 25, 2021, 05:41:09 pm »
That is gorgeous, where was the holiday Persy?

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #2694 on: December 26, 2021, 08:44:42 pm »

Tim Flach.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2695 on: December 26, 2021, 09:15:04 pm »
Been feedint the Wood Pigeons and Magpie's

Little blackbirds get in on the act and robins now and then, plus some little ticthy things with brown wings and some colours? Not sure what they are.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline rothers

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #2696 on: December 27, 2021, 07:37:20 pm »
Exactly the same setup in my garden with wood pigeons and magpies first in line for any food often forcing the small birds away. So much so that I’ve lowered the roof on the bird table so that it’s only the small ones who can squeeze in to get the mealworms & proper bird food I put out!  >: ;D

Those little brown birds are probably sparrows or starlings

Offline andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #2697 on: December 28, 2021, 02:38:04 pm »
I just went for hanging feeders over table thinking the tits,finches etc would be fine and the big bastards would struggle... Effin wood pigeons perch on the spike at the top and magpies have learnt to kind of attack the feeders to get food. Twats. Although this year I have had long tailed tits, goldfinches and blue and great tits in my garden. Oh and a family of buzzards and a family of red kites overhead occasionally.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #2698 on: December 29, 2021, 08:22:26 pm »
CHOPPER has his own special way of deterring magpies, can always seek some advice from him……

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2699 on: December 29, 2021, 11:27:57 pm »
I just went for hanging feeders over table thinking the tits,finches etc would be fine and the big bastards would struggle... Effin wood pigeons perch on the spike at the top and magpies have learnt to kind of attack the feeders to get food. Twats. Although this year I have had long tailed tits, goldfinches and blue and great tits in my garden. Oh and a family of buzzards and a family of red kites overhead occasionally.

It's sounds like you have done okay. You will always attract the big birds as well, though maybe buy /make a bird table and use it to distract the bigger birds from the feeders.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2700 on: December 29, 2021, 11:31:40 pm »
Been feedint the Wood Pigeons and Magpie's

Little blackbirds get in on the act and robins now and then, plus some little ticthy things with brown wings and some colours? Not sure what they are.

The little things are sparrows if they make a lot of noise or if they are quiet and creep around the hedges they could be dunnocks.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #2701 on: December 30, 2021, 06:29:42 am »
There's new birdsongs this time of year , especially around dusk and dawn. Listen . It's beautiful .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2702 on: December 30, 2021, 04:17:51 pm »
There's new birdsongs this time of year , especially around dusk and dawn. Listen . It's beautiful .

I think I saw a Tweet about that
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2703 on: December 30, 2021, 04:40:16 pm »
Been away in the lakes for a few days. Lying in the hot-tub last night I could hear a Tawny Owl close by and he was out again this morning about 7:45.

I have no idea on small birds, I can recognise a sparrow and a Robin and that is about it. There were some really small birds, little roundish bodies with a long rectangular tail that ended with a flat end flying from tree to tree above me and some other small birds with a pure white underside and white stripes across the wings.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2704 on: December 30, 2021, 10:06:15 pm »

That is stunning!

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2705 on: January 3, 2022, 06:26:39 pm »
Been away in the lakes for a few days. Lying in the hot-tub last night I could hear a Tawny Owl close by and he was out again this morning about 7:45.

I have no idea on small birds, I can recognise a sparrow and a Robin and that is about it. There were some really small birds, little roundish bodies with a long rectangular tail that ended with a flat end flying from tree to tree above me and some other small birds with a pure white underside and white stripes across the wings.

The ones with the rectangular tails sound like Long Tailed Tits. They usually move around in groups, although they can also move around with other Tits as well. They are the cutest of birds. 

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2706 on: January 3, 2022, 06:56:15 pm »
The ones with the rectangular tails sound like Long Tailed Tits. They usually move around in groups, although they can also move around with other Tits as well. They are the cutest of birds. 

Cheers Jill. Yes, they were in big groups and there were other Tits in the trees, Grey Tits I think they were
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2707 on: January 3, 2022, 07:04:17 pm »
Cheers Jill. Yes, they were in big groups and there were other Tits in the trees, Grey Tits I think they were

The Great Tits look great this time of year.  ;D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2708 on: January 3, 2022, 07:52:05 pm »
This makes me livid. The government once again helping its pals in the shooting game at the expense of wild-life.  :no

Law change allows wild birds to be killed to protect game birds in England

http://a.msn.com/01/en-gb/AASo7nB?ocid=st

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #2709 on: January 5, 2022, 10:56:40 am »
Loads of midnight hooting from a Tawny Owl in the garden last night ...marvellous
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2710 on: January 5, 2022, 07:19:58 pm »
Tawny's are marvellous birds. Good on you.

Think of this poor bastard though. Meant to be in the Caribbean for his holidays, but turned up in Preston instead.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jan/05/rare-kingfisher-sighting-in-preston-draws-thousands
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #2711 on: January 5, 2022, 08:17:13 pm »
Great few days in Norfolk at Blakeney and Holkham. North Norfolk is a great place for birds.

Saw a huge skein of geese flying over the cottage on New Years Eve silhouetted against the stars.

Along with the usual suspects I saw loads of Lapwings and Curlews on the marshes at Blakeney and a Marsh Harrier flew directly over the path. Beautiful bird.

Massive flocks of Pink-Footed Geese at Holkham and while watching a pair of Buzzards through the binoculars, saw another pair of Marsh Harriers and a Red Kite.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2712 on: January 5, 2022, 08:44:39 pm »
Lovely Al, I'd have loved all that.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #2713 on: January 5, 2022, 09:22:37 pm »
We didn't see this many but a few weeks back there was a video of around 64,000 pink-footed geese taking to the air at Holkham:

https://hi-in.facebook.com/HolkhamEstate/videos/pink-footed-geese-at-holkham/486977002745772/
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2714 on: January 5, 2022, 09:24:03 pm »
That holiday sounded like my kind of heaven.  :D

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2715 on: January 6, 2022, 01:23:54 am »
We had a male Tawny Owl hooting outside our window in the tree directly across from our bedroom window last night. Another one a little bit up the Glen calling back. We get loads of them but that’s the closest we’ve had it (hence me being up). ;D

I’m currently listening to an owl hooting away somewhere nearby and having checked it out it’s clearly a tawny owl call. I read their call carries about 200 yards but would it carry further at this time of night? I’m just under half a mile from a couple of parks unless he’s found somewhere a bit nearer to roost.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2716 on: January 8, 2022, 01:15:35 pm »
If anyone is in Caldies park have a look for a pair of Buff geese. Their light brown, I've never seen them their before. Lovely.

I couldn't get a decent pic.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2717 on: January 8, 2022, 01:28:45 pm »
If anyone is in Caldies park have a look for a pair of Buff geese. Their light brown, I've never seen them their before. Lovely.

I couldn't get a decent pic.

How buff were they John? Did you cop a feel?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2718 on: January 8, 2022, 07:50:06 pm »
How buff were they John? Did you cop a feel?
Really cute and buff mate. I don't recall seeing them before.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2719 on: January 13, 2022, 07:11:07 pm »
It's amazing seeing how agile the Sparrowhawk is. I was driving down Serpentine South in Blundellsands earlier when one flew straight across my windscreen like an arrow, before tucking his wings in and flying through a load of tree branches then out the other side in the blink of an eye.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.