Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 278988 times)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #2640 on: October 11, 2021, 10:21:53 am »
Great pics those Rob.

I had a BoP experience last summer.  The final bird we handled was an adult bald eagle.

I must admit, it was a bit scary having this huge bird flying toiwards you, whilst sticking your arm out  ;D .  The size and weight of it were impressive.

One of the best days out I've ever had!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 10:25:02 am by Red-Soldier »

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2641 on: October 11, 2021, 10:31:05 am »
Great pics those Rob.

I had a BoP experience last summer.  The final bird we handled was an adult bald eagle.

I must admit, it was a bit scary having this huge bird flying toiwards you, whilst sticking your arm out  ;D .  The size and weight of it were impressive.

One of the best days out I've ever had!

I was surprised at how gently they land on you, was expecting a big thump.

One of the Harris Hawks came over the top of my head, so I got wrapped in wings and then tail feathers down my face as it landed on my arm, but there was no impact, just like getting brushed with feathers.

Ne thing I'm doing is a falconry course so I can get my own Harris. So that's the Huey flight gone out the window.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2642 on: October 18, 2021, 11:40:50 pm »
Over the weekend I had six doves sitting on the fence, which I am assuming was a second brood for them. Is anyone else having the same thing, as I thought by now the mating season is usually over?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #2643 on: October 19, 2021, 02:37:28 pm »
Over the weekend I had six doves sitting on the fence, which I am assuming was a second brood for them. Is anyone else having the same thing, as I thought by now the mating season is usually over?

Pigeons and doves etc are quite frisky all year round so not surprising.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2644 on: October 19, 2021, 02:53:28 pm »

Had a wood pigeon with two fledglings on the fence last week.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2645 on: October 19, 2021, 05:18:20 pm »

Fair enough, and what else have they got to do anyway!!

Had a wood pigeon with two fledglings on the fence last week.

My Wood pigeons had two last year, don't remember them even having one this year.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2646 on: October 19, 2021, 06:58:34 pm »

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2647 on: October 29, 2021, 11:39:52 pm »
I was doing some woodwork in the garden yesterday and I heard a bird screaming its head off so I looked up. No more than five feet away from me on the lawn a Sparrowhawk had a Starling on the ground. I sort of scared it with my WTF exclamations so it let go and flew off but kept it's eye on the garden. The Starling flew straight into a bush at the side of the lawn before composing itself and flying off to fight another day.

Sparrowhawks are ruthless.  :o
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2648 on: October 30, 2021, 12:30:01 am »
Great experience SoS, for a minute I thought you were going to say it was a Blackbird :) fucking hell they are noisy when they're disturbed. They screech like fuck.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2649 on: October 30, 2021, 01:09:26 am »
Great experience SoS, for a minute I thought you were going to say it was a Blackbird :) fucking hell they are noisy when they're disturbed. They screech like fuck.
Blackies can be very vocal, can't they. There was one kicking off earlier in the year because there was a Magpie on the prowl, possibly near their nest. It screamed the place down.

I'm a bit conflicted over the hawk. They are amazing, but I get very protective of any creature in distress, so I did want the Starling to get away, although I know the hawk will just bag another one elsewhere. It's swooped in a number of times when I've been looking out of the window, but I've never been so close to one like I was yesterday.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2650 on: November 23, 2021, 12:30:32 pm »
Being off with covid has given me time to be a home and do some bird watching properly. They are starting to return to the back now in dribs and drabs. The doves as ever are being joined with new young. The Goldfinch group is bigger with the juveniles now getting properly feathered and coloured, a new competitive edge has begun now as everyone vibes for the best spot, on the bird feeder. The sparrows are more frequent visitors as well as the dunnock and robin suddenly becoming more visible. I just need the tits to reappear now, how is everyone else's. Are we ready for the mammoth winter feeding to begin?   :D

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2651 on: November 23, 2021, 05:36:54 pm »
We've just been to Sefton Park to feed the squirrels. We were joined by a family of Jays, Robins, Dunnocks and a variety of tits. Ring-necked parakeets were in the tree above us and a Buzzard was in a tree just a few yards away.

What a lovely hour or so. 😊

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2652 on: November 23, 2021, 06:49:59 pm »
We've just been to Sefton Park to feed the squirrels. We were joined by a family of Jays, Robins, Dunnocks and a variety of tits. Ring-necked parakeets were in the tree above us and a Buzzard was in a tree just a few yards away.

Sounds like a great hour that. Are the parakeets as noisy as other people have said? I have never seen any this side of the water, certainly not where I am.  ;D

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2653 on: November 23, 2021, 06:55:54 pm »
Sounds like a great hour that. Are the parakeets as noisy as other people have said? I have never seen any this side of the water, certainly not where I am.  ;D
Ah yes, they are very noisy. They are beautiful to look at, but their call is quite harsh and they are really vocal. There are loads of them in the park.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2654 on: November 23, 2021, 07:00:07 pm »

You'll get them soon enough, they like to move about.

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2655 on: November 23, 2021, 07:12:45 pm »
Our first ever Long Tailed Tits in the garden this afternoon :)
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2656 on: November 23, 2021, 07:15:36 pm »
You'll get them soon enough, they like to move about.
I just did a brief Google and it says that although one or two have been sighted in Cheshire and on the Wirral, they are not thought to be resident there and there are no records of them breeding there either.

They've been in Sefton Park for donkeys years. I've never seen one in the north end, although I saw a photo of one pictured on a bird table in Crosby. In fact, I've only ever spotted them in and around the park. It's the only place on Merseyside that I know for sure they live and breed.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2657 on: November 23, 2021, 07:17:00 pm »
😊
They are beautiful little birds.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2658 on: November 23, 2021, 08:02:56 pm »
I just did a brief Google and it says that although one or two have been sighted in Cheshire and on the Wirral, they are not thought to be resident there and there are no records of them breeding there either.

They've been in Sefton Park for donkeys years. I've never seen one in the north end, although I saw a photo of one pictured on a bird table in Crosby. In fact, I've only ever spotted them in and around the park. It's the only place on Merseyside that I know for sure they live and breed.

From what I've read about them, it seems inevitable they will move over there eventually as their numbers keep growing. They didn't start to breed in the wild until 1969 according to the RSPB but there were about 8600 breeding pairs by 2016 and a 1500% rise in numbers between 1995 and 2005

For about 30 years or so they have stayed in South Manchester, but last year for the first time, I started seeing them flying over our house - I moved to one of our offices 300 yds from where I now live 20 years ago and moved here 14 years ago and had never seen any until 2020. 

This map shows their coverage

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2659 on: November 23, 2021, 08:04:08 pm »

Superb mate, right on your doorstep as well :)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2660 on: November 23, 2021, 08:05:36 pm »
I love it when they cross the gardens, tree to tree in numbers. I counted 15 once. Lovey Roy.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2661 on: November 23, 2021, 08:44:50 pm »

Are they bashing themselves against your window Roy? That's happened to us at two different homes now. Apparently they do this a lot. They're beauties though, that's for sure.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #2662 on: November 23, 2021, 08:55:39 pm »

On my back patio last night, I saw two bunnies furiously running along the fence line. Seconds later I heard a bird call I have not heard in my neighborhood. Loaded the identifying app, and was pleasantly surprised. A great horned owl on top of my garage.

First time I have seen one without wandering through the woods.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2663 on: November 23, 2021, 10:19:34 pm »
How is everyone's Blue Tit's doing this year? I was on the RSPB site and they were saying its been a poor year for caterpillars which has effected the numbers of Blue Tits overall.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2664 on: November 24, 2021, 12:18:02 am »
From what I've read about them, it seems inevitable they will move over there eventually as their numbers keep growing. They didn't start to breed in the wild until 1969 according to the RSPB but there were about 8600 breeding pairs by 2016 and a 1500% rise in numbers between 1995 and 2005

For about 30 years or so they have stayed in South Manchester, but last year for the first time, I started seeing them flying over our house - I moved to one of our offices 300 yds from where I now live 20 years ago and moved here 14 years ago and had never seen any until 2020. 

This map shows their coverage

Don't let Chopper see that, or hell be out with his rifle.

I just noticed on your post. The Parakeets had a 1,500% rise in numbers between the time Everton last won a trophy and Rafa lifted the European Cup with Liverpool in Istanbul.  ;D

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2665 on: November 24, 2021, 12:20:54 am »
How is everyone's Blue Tit's doing this year? I was on the RSPB site and they were saying its been a poor year for caterpillars which has effected the numbers of Blue Tits overall.
I haven't noticed much of a decline locally. I can vouch for the lack of caterpillars though. I do all my Mum's gardening and I've not really noticed many caterpillars this year.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2666 on: November 24, 2021, 12:32:15 pm »
Being off with covid has given me time to be a home and do some bird watching properly.
Are we ready for the mammoth winter feeding to begin?   :D
Hope you feel better soon Jill.

I am already buying seed online in 15-20 kg sacks, god knows what will happen when it starts getting really cold. Still, working from home its better than spending it on petrol. :thumbup

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2667 on: November 24, 2021, 01:31:23 pm »
Hope you feel better soon Jill.

I am already buying seed online in 15-20 kg sacks, god knows what will happen when it starts getting really cold. Still, working from home its better than spending it on petrol. :thumbup

I'm doing fine, thanks. I know this week has been wonderful as its meant I can be here to watch the birds when usually I'm in work so I'm making the most of it.  :)

I haven't noticed much of a decline locally. I can vouch for the lack of caterpillars though. I do all my Mum's gardening and I've not really noticed many caterpillars this year.

Hopefully they will have a better year next time, it just means their families will be smaller this time around.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2668 on: November 24, 2021, 02:18:06 pm »
I don't think the Bluetits have diminished Jill, not noticeably anyway.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2669 on: November 24, 2021, 02:41:51 pm »
I don't think the Bluetits have diminished Jill, not noticeably anyway.

That's good to hear John, I wish I could get more in where I am, not for the lack of trying.  ;D

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #2670 on: November 25, 2021, 10:24:48 am »

Successful year in my blue tit box. Counted six chicks leaving back in May. Could have missed more. Single parent did it all on its own as well.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2671 on: November 25, 2021, 10:36:22 am »
Successful year in my blue tit box. Counted six chicks leaving back in May. Could have missed more. Single parent did it all on its own as well.
That's brilliant. 😊

Along with the Robin, the Bluey is my favorite small bird.

It sounds like your little family did really well against the odds there.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2672 on: November 25, 2021, 10:39:48 am »
I am happy everyone is reporting good sightings of Blue Tits, maybe it's just certain parts of the country which are having lower numbers.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2673 on: November 25, 2021, 11:26:52 am »
I am happy everyone is reporting good sightings of Blue Tits, maybe it's just certain parts of the country which are having lower numbers.

If Nick popped in here, i'm sure he'd turn the convo to wearing thin bras and tops in winter.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2674 on: November 25, 2021, 11:40:55 am »
There's lots of Parakeets in Caldies park now and it's great to see them wandering out in to the trees in the gardens. There was a couple in the back garden early this morning and the low sun light illuminated their lovely green feathers. They look superb.

Noisy fuckers though :)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2675 on: November 25, 2021, 11:48:43 am »
If Nick popped in here, i'm sure he'd turn the convo to wearing thin bras and tops in winter.

I do that in every thread.

There's lots of Parakeets in Caldies park now and it's great to see them wandering out in to the trees in the gardens. There was a couple in the back garden early this morning and the low sun light illuminated their lovely green feathers. They look superb.

Noisy fuckers though :)

They are noisy! There’s a group who seem to live on our street. We’re close to a pro where there’s loads of them.  Sometimes they’ve come right up to my window and they’re obviously attracted to something around the guttering. I put a few seeds out on my window sill but the only birds to spot them so far have been the bastard magpies!

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2676 on: November 25, 2021, 12:16:54 pm »

;D

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2677 on: December 10, 2021, 12:30:17 pm »
There was very interesting overhead activity yesterday about 11.00am.
In the South Liverpool area did anyone see at least 4 v-shape lines of birds? About 100 in each group. Perhaps Geese, I could concentrate as I was driving.

They looked amazing but I was wondering if this is an odd time of year to either migrate or return to the UK.

Any thoughts?

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
  • Celebrating National Shite Day since 1968
« Reply #2678 on: December 10, 2021, 06:50:49 pm »
If they were flying quite high up, then likely to be Pink Footed geese - winter visitors - they get loads at Martin Mere - and they move between feeding n roosting sites. They fly over our house most mornings and you can always hear them “talking” to each other :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 06:52:49 pm by Mag Hull »
Get your fucking hedge cut!!!!

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2679 on: December 10, 2021, 06:56:14 pm »
There was very interesting overhead activity yesterday about 11.00am.
In the South Liverpool area did anyone see at least 4 v-shape lines of birds? About 100 in each group. Perhaps Geese, I could concentrate as I was driving.

They looked amazing but I was wondering if this is an odd time of year to either migrate or return to the UK.

Any thoughts?
Not in South Liverpool, but I was at a funeral in Ormskirk last Friday and whilst stood outside the church a number of Vs went overhead. Probably Pink-Footed Geese. There were loads of them. Maybe they were just moving around locally?

Driving to Southport Crem I saw the usual flock of Whooper Swans that come in from Iceland each winter. They seem to love a particular farm field there and they were filthy after digging around in the mud.  :)

I know north of the city I've seen geese in big flocks moving around. They seem to land on the beach when the tide is out but fly to farmland later.

EDIT: Mag Hull beat me to it.  ;D