Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 278936 times)

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #2600 on: July 27, 2021, 11:01:14 am »
You explained it perfectly mate I just padded it out a bit 😁

It's absolutely brutal watching parent swans turf the kids out ready for them to start breeding again. 

They're so aggressive and fully attack them until they get the message. 

The poor sygnets must be so confused as the parents have spent nearly a year protecting them from anything and everything then suddenly it's turned against them.

Tough love I guess. Going off on a tangent I caught a youtube video of a heron eating baby ducklings. Swallowed whole basically. From there you are directed to lots of vids of raptors attacking other birds nests and eating the chicks alive after plucking them first.

Its all pretty horrific and strangely addictive but it's just nature I guess and that's just what they do !!

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2601 on: July 27, 2021, 01:15:26 pm »
Tough love I guess. Going off on a tangent I caught a youtube video of a heron eating baby ducklings. Swallowed whole basically. From there you are directed to lots of vids of raptors attacking other birds nests and eating the chicks alive after plucking them first.

Its all pretty horrific and strangely addictive but it's just nature I guess and that's just what they do !!

Yeah I've seen similar things mate.
A weasel finding a kingfisher nest and taking every egg. 

Snakes getting into a mammal nest, the babies were too small to recognise, and eating everyone of them.

Survivall of the fittest sure but it's also survival of the luckiest when they unexpectedly find a feast like that.

Sometimes all the precautions taken by the parents can be in vein.

Nature is brutal but any weakness can be fatal for all.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #2602 on: July 27, 2021, 08:38:11 pm »
Nonchalantly as you do, caught a Sparrow-Hawk today, fed it, watered it and then released it.......

3 days ago in my engineering workshop at work, a Sparrow-Hawk chased a pigeon into our workshop. The roller shutter doors were open and as the pigeon ducked for cover, the Hawk, swooped in and up and ended in the roof space of the workshop - perched on the cross braises and sprinkler pipes that are up there. We have a big workshop, about the size of a 5-a-side pitch. This was on Saturday early evening.

Its stayed up there until yesterday, when I kindly persuade one of my team with his newly acquired IPAF licence , to get up there and shoo it across and down. No joy, this thing moved to quick and the area is too big cover. I persuaded my guy to keep persisting but aft about half an hour, all was lost and we gave up. Gutted if am honest, the thought of it just dropping out the roof space dead, broke me heart a bit.

I drove home last night and I'll be honest with you bird lovers, I though this isn't dying on me, am getting it out. So I go home and in my garage I have an old large fishing landing net, so I put that in me car and I lay there that night working out what I'd do. Catch it, get it in a box, give it some water, let it rest, then let it go...... I ask me missus if we have any mince in the house, am thinking I've got to give it some food, so why not mince - Quorn replies me bird.....Well thats that plan shot then.

Gets up this morning with the mission still in me head. Sets off and am no more than 600 yrds from are house, if that. and I notice a fresh scattering of feathers, the usual - knobhead wood-pigeons have been run over. I think, i'll stop but it will be flat as a pancake  - but no, even better, this one is dead, but its flew into something, so its not flat,Its warm and a load of corn still in its crop and still very much warm, but in mint condition. I lobs it in the boot of me car and heads of to work even more determined that this plan is going to work.

Gets to work, Dave (yesterdays nominated driver of the cherry picker) groans when he finds out hes nominated again. Do all the morning meeting bollocks, get a nice big box, put a bowl of water in the box and before placing the carcass of the wood pigeon in the box, pluck and expose its dark and succulent ruby red breast.

So we go up, me with welding gloves on and landing net in hand, Dave shitting himself with welding gloves on as well(fuck knows why) lanyards on for any safety managers out there. We get up top, I take a picture of it perched on a sprinkler pipe and then we have 4 goes and passes at trying to catch the Hawk. The roof space it is in now, is raised from the rest by about 3 foot, and is about 10 meters by 10 meters, so this Hawk is sort of trapped.
5th go and we catch it amazing! and to a round of applause from all my engineers below. Its amazing how soft engineers can get.

We get down to terra-firma, and I put the Hawk in the box  and leave it in there. I leave it for an hour and go back to find that its ripped into the Woody and it (not the woody) looks a whole load better. We move it into the middle of the road outside the workshop open the lid and after a small amount of persuasion, the Sparrow-Hawk is free.

To say am chuffed, is an understatement. I took very few photographs, but being that close to a wild bird, holding it me hands(welding gloves on of course) and in all certainty, saving its life, has probably gave me today, the best day I've had an a long time.

*Beware, the picture of it in the box with Wood is a bit gruesome*

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2603 on: July 27, 2021, 08:45:49 pm »
Brilliant story that Chopper.

Bird looks lovely too.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2604 on: July 27, 2021, 08:53:22 pm »
Beautiful bird Rob. I'd say it was a young female looking at the colouring and its size.

I've kept a feather it lost in the catching process as a memento. Daft as a brush eh......Absolutely loved that today and to watch it fly away was almost a tearful moment, considering that yesterday we all had it as not for long on this earth.

My apprentices think am a soft touch now.... wait till tomorrow, we'll see. ;D
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2605 on: July 27, 2021, 09:05:04 pm »
Superb mate, the video of it flying away is awesome also. Nice one Chops, where are the hands clap gifs when you need one.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2606 on: July 27, 2021, 09:17:57 pm »
Superb mate, the video of it flying away is awesome also. Nice one Chops, where are the hands clap gifs when you need one.

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2607 on: July 27, 2021, 09:19:14 pm »
 ;D

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2608 on: July 27, 2021, 09:47:37 pm »
Fantastic that Chops and there's "soft touch" about handling a bird of prey.  Those talons aren't there for show 😁

👏👏👏👏👏

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2609 on: July 28, 2021, 08:52:47 pm »
That's a great story J but can you make it a bit more detailed next time. Cheers. We'll done though👍

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2610 on: July 28, 2021, 08:58:18 pm »
You should of seen the first draft.

Magpie Gallipoli was in there.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2611 on: July 29, 2021, 10:27:31 pm »
Liberty's Owl, Raptor and Reptile Centre in Ringwood has lost a Golden Eagle in the wind, all eyes on the sky if you live in the area.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2612 on: August 19, 2021, 06:57:46 pm »
Just had a juvenile great spotted woodpecker on the feeders 😁

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2613 on: August 20, 2021, 05:11:24 pm »
I have a garden full of goldfinch youngsters at the moment and they are eating me out of house and home. Every night filling up the feeders as they all wait on the phone lines to come down. It's lovely to see though.  :D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2614 on: August 20, 2021, 05:12:10 pm »
Just had a juvenile great spotted woodpecker on the feeders 😁

That is so sweet, still seeing the ones in the park when I go for a wander.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2615 on: August 20, 2021, 05:13:26 pm »
Nonchalantly as you do, caught a Sparrow-Hawk today, fed it, watered it and then released it.......

3 days ago in my engineering workshop at work, a Sparrow-Hawk chased a pigeon into our workshop. The roller shutter doors were open and as the pigeon ducked for cover, the Hawk, swooped in and up and ended in the roof space of the workshop - perched on the cross braises and sprinkler pipes that are up there. We have a big workshop, about the size of a 5-a-side pitch. This was on Saturday early evening.

Its stayed up there until yesterday, when I kindly persuade one of my team with his newly acquired IPAF licence , to get up there and shoo it across and down. No joy, this thing moved to quick and the area is too big cover. I persuaded my guy to keep persisting but aft about half an hour, all was lost and we gave up. Gutted if am honest, the thought of it just dropping out the roof space dead, broke me heart a bit.

I drove home last night and I'll be honest with you bird lovers, I though this isn't dying on me, am getting it out. So I go home and in my garage I have an old large fishing landing net, so I put that in me car and I lay there that night working out what I'd do. Catch it, get it in a box, give it some water, let it rest, then let it go...... I ask me missus if we have any mince in the house, am thinking I've got to give it some food, so why not mince - Quorn replies me bird.....Well thats that plan shot then.

Gets up this morning with the mission still in me head. Sets off and am no more than 600 yrds from are house, if that. and I notice a fresh scattering of feathers, the usual - knobhead wood-pigeons have been run over. I think, i'll stop but it will be flat as a pancake  - but no, even better, this one is dead, but its flew into something, so its not flat,Its warm and a load of corn still in its crop and still very much warm, but in mint condition. I lobs it in the boot of me car and heads of to work even more determined that this plan is going to work.

Gets to work, Dave (yesterdays nominated driver of the cherry picker) groans when he finds out hes nominated again. Do all the morning meeting bollocks, get a nice big box, put a bowl of water in the box and before placing the carcass of the wood pigeon in the box, pluck and expose its dark and succulent ruby red breast.

So we go up, me with welding gloves on and landing net in hand, Dave shitting himself with welding gloves on as well(fuck knows why) lanyards on for any safety managers out there. We get up top, I take a picture of it perched on a sprinkler pipe and then we have 4 goes and passes at trying to catch the Hawk. The roof space it is in now, is raised from the rest by about 3 foot, and is about 10 meters by 10 meters, so this Hawk is sort of trapped.
5th go and we catch it amazing! and to a round of applause from all my engineers below. Its amazing how soft engineers can get.

We get down to terra-firma, and I put the Hawk in the box  and leave it in there. I leave it for an hour and go back to find that its ripped into the Woody and it (not the woody) looks a whole load better. We move it into the middle of the road outside the workshop open the lid and after a small amount of persuasion, the Sparrow-Hawk is free.

To say am chuffed, is an understatement. I took very few photographs, but being that close to a wild bird, holding it me hands(welding gloves on of course) and in all certainty, saving its life, has probably gave me today, the best day I've had an a long time.

*Beware, the picture of it in the box with Wood is a bit gruesome*

Only just caught up with this, that's amazing.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2616 on: August 20, 2021, 05:28:29 pm »
I have a garden full of goldfinch youngsters at the moment and they are eating me out of house and home. Every night filling up the feeders as they all wait on the phone lines to come down. It's lovely to see though.  :D

We've had the same but with starlings and sparrows 🙄 Paul keeps complaining about the amount of food they're eating but like I explained once you start feeding them you can't pick and choose what arrives.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #2617 on: August 20, 2021, 05:28:34 pm »
Had a pileated woodpecker visit my back garden today. First time seeing one in person. Large bird. About the size of a crow. Its peck sounds like a nail gun.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2618 on: August 20, 2021, 05:33:54 pm »
We've had the same but with starlings and sparrows 🙄 Paul keeps complaining about the amount of food they're eating but like I explained once you start feeding them you can't pick and choose what arrives.

Exactly, besides which all birds are brilliant anyway. It's amazing to think how some breeds are still managing to defy the odds as well. It wasn't so long ago they were fearing for the future of both sparrows and starlings.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2619 on: August 20, 2021, 05:52:33 pm »
Exactly, besides which all birds are brilliant anyway. It's amazing to think how some breeds are still managing to defy the odds as well. It wasn't so long ago they were fearing for the future of both sparrows and starlings.

The sparrows have nested in our conservatory roof and we reckon they've had 3 broods which is great going. 

There's dozens of them that flock together and hide in the hedges till the feeders are filled and we get sparrowhawk's after them quite often.

Agreed though, all birds are fab 😁

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2620 on: August 20, 2021, 08:39:23 pm »

Here's a question for you Jill, and all other twitchers.

A few years ago when I was still living in Brixton some new next-door neighbours moved in. They were a youngish couple with an infant son. Lovely they were, kind and thoughtful in every way, and the little lad was adorable. They were refugees from Kurdistan.

One day I noticed that Mister X and his son were out on the back garden and that they had a caged goldfinch. The finch was whistling away, trying to summon help no doubt. The little lad was clearly delighted by the bird in its cage. And dad was unembarrassed by its captivity. All they saw was a beautiful bird, with unbelievable colours, singing for them.

What to do?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2621 on: August 20, 2021, 09:31:57 pm »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2622 on: August 20, 2021, 09:44:11 pm »

What to do?
Assuming we're confident it will survive.
Bombard them daily with a huge smile and a request to set it free. Never challenging or confrontational, just offering a reason for freedom each time. Point to the gracious flight of other birds. Plead with them in a friendly manner until they decide to listen. It may be weeks or months but they'll get it eventually.

Choppers clown shoes are an alternative mind.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2623 on: August 20, 2021, 10:31:44 pm »
Here's a question for you Jill, and all other twitchers.

A few years ago when I was still living in Brixton some new next-door neighbours moved in. They were a youngish couple with an infant son. Lovely they were, kind and thoughtful in every way, and the little lad was adorable. They were refugees from Kurdistan.

One day I noticed that Mister X and his son were out on the back garden and that they had a caged goldfinch. The finch was whistling away, trying to summon help no doubt. The little lad was clearly delighted by the bird in its cage. And dad was unembarrassed by its captivity. All they saw was a beautiful bird, with unbelievable colours, singing for them.

What to do?

I agree with John, try and persuade them gently. I know stuff like this can be quite frequent in some countries, but just try and explain the advantage in letting it go into its natural home outside. You just have to hope that eventually they will come to realise that letting him have his freedom is the best thing for everyone, especially the bird.   

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2624 on: August 23, 2021, 12:21:25 pm »
On top of all our fabulous garden birdlife we've been experiencing a new phenomenon the last few days.

Flocks of godwits flying over the garden which is just an awesome sight and sound.

We'd seen them down at the beach and on the estuary earlier in the year but never at home.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2625 on: October 4, 2021, 04:17:50 pm »
Thought it’s about time we got some bird action going again.

Goldfinches have returned in numbers to my Niger seed feeder. Seven or eight of them fighting over the four slots for large parts of the day. Hadn’t been here in ages before the other week. Costing me a fortune now !

And my daughter filmed a green woodpecker feeding on the ground in my garden the other day, I was at work sadly. Think they feed on ants and other insects. Hung around for about half an hour.

Played golf in Surrey last week and a red kite passed very low over us. Never seen one down that way before, usually see them on the M40 down Oxford way.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2626 on: October 4, 2021, 04:56:49 pm »
I saw a jay close up yesterday on a wall across the road. Always nice to see, brings a splash of colour to the street!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2627 on: October 4, 2021, 05:56:52 pm »
I saw a jay close up yesterday on a wall across the road. Always nice to see, brings a splash of colour to the street!
Seeing a Jay is always an enormous treat Nick. Lovely birds.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2628 on: October 9, 2021, 05:51:47 pm »
Finally got to do my Bird of Prey experience today, what a brilliant day it was.

Lanner Falcon

Chaco Owl, This one loved getting its head rubbed

American Black Vulture

Harris Hawk

Caracara

Eagle

« Last Edit: October 9, 2021, 05:57:12 pm by rob1966 »

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2629 on: October 9, 2021, 06:28:51 pm »
Superb, wonderful looking birds.

Stumbled across the below earlier. Imagine that 'wining' bird, being a run of the mill urban bird over here. Gives our Goldfinches a run for their money.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/oct/09/tiny-little-balls-of-pure-joy-why-the-superb-fairywren-took-out-2021-bird-of-the-year

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2630 on: October 9, 2021, 10:31:20 pm »
Fantastic pictures rob, glad you managed to have your day. I did one some years ago, will never forget it. Our last bird was a "small" eagle with a red beak, always remember the guy saying don't worry she won't settle on your arm for long. Of course, she was there for what felt like ages and in the end my arm gave away and she went off into the trees. Not sure I was popular after that!  :D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2631 on: October 9, 2021, 10:32:52 pm »

Stumbled across the below earlier. Imagine that 'wining' bird, being a run of the mill urban bird over here. Gives our Goldfinches a run for their money.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/oct/09/tiny-little-balls-of-pure-joy-why-the-superb-fairywren-took-out-2021-bird-of-the-year

Nothing gives my goldfinches a run for their money, it is a beauty though.  :D

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2632 on: October 9, 2021, 10:58:08 pm »
Nothing gives my goldfinches a run for their money, it is a beauty though.  :D

Agree on both counts!

The sight of a goldfinch - common as it is to those who open their eyes - is marvellous. A daily reminder of just how awesome the world is.

Love that fairywren though. The vivid blue/green. Wow.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2633 on: October 10, 2021, 08:43:04 am »
Fantastic pictures rob, glad you managed to have your day. I did one some years ago, will never forget it. Our last bird was a "small" eagle with a red beak, always remember the guy saying don't worry she won't settle on your arm for long. Of course, she was there for what felt like ages and in the end my arm gave away and she went off into the trees. Not sure I was popular after that!  :D

Cheers Jill. It was a great day, left arm is a bit dead today, not used to holding it out and carrying the birds.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2634 on: October 10, 2021, 09:31:28 am »
That Lannner Falcon is a beauty Rob. The beak on the Harris Hawk is frightening!

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2635 on: October 10, 2021, 10:12:19 am »
That Lannner Falcon is a beauty Rob. The beak on the Harris Hawk is frightening!

It was gorgeous. I am deffo getting a Harris Hawk now, fell in love with them. Funny walking them into the woods, I released the one I was carrying into the trees and a Buzzard fled for its life.

The eagles are scary yet lovely, Laura (our guide for the day) was saying how the big ones have a grip four times the power of a human, one gripped onto her hand and it took four people to get it off, they can take deer. Then there is the Eagle owl which the eagles are scared of !!!!

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2636 on: October 10, 2021, 11:59:22 am »
It was gorgeous. I am deffo getting a Harris Hawk now, fell in love with them. Funny walking them into the woods, I released the one I was carrying into the trees and a Buzzard fled for its life.

The eagles are scary yet lovely, Laura (our guide for the day) was saying how the big ones have a grip four times the power of a human, one gripped onto her hand and it took four people to get it off, they can take deer. Then there is the Eagle owl which the eagles are scared of !!!!

Those Eagle Owls are enormous as well, I seriously wouldn't want one flying over the car late at night!
Agree on both counts!

The sight of a goldfinch - common as it is to those who open their eyes - is marvellous. A daily reminder of just how awesome the world is.

Love that fairywren though. The vivid blue/green. Wow.

Yes, the colours on it are exquisite I need those colours for my painting.  :D

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2637 on: October 10, 2021, 12:44:32 pm »

One other thing, its not the beak you need to worry about, its the talons, razor sharp daggers. Imagine this coming at you

Those Eagle Owls are enormous as well, I seriously wouldn't want one flying over the car late at night!
Yes, the colours on it are exquisite I need those colours for my painting.  :D

I've had that exact thing happen !!.. Driving back to Southport and one flew right across in front of me, it was massive.

They have one that was confiscated from some dickhead in Holland, its a really nervous bird, so we were allowed to hold it to help it get used to humans again, but it's not ready for the public to fly, that was heavy, about 4 lbs.

We flew a small owl, we were supposed to fly one of the other eagle owls, but when Laura weighed it, it had put on 4ozs since the morning, so it must have caught and ate a rat in its enclosure, so bang went the flying. We got to fly the Caracara instead, which was a beautiful Hawk.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2638 on: October 10, 2021, 07:59:01 pm »
Superb pics Rob.
And I love that Fairywren, awesome bird.

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2639 on: October 11, 2021, 02:13:43 am »

I have those hanging around my work, every day they come in, fly around a bit then fly back out in to the trees out the back.