Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 281263 times)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #3320 on: March 2, 2023, 03:59:40 pm »
I took a few pictures.. will post it sometime after 6:00 PM..  Its a DSLR (Lumix FZ300) but I am clueless about photography so I use the auto mode!

Nothing wrong with auto mode! Quick great setting to be honest.

Looking forward to the pictures

Also great pics Brisseyred! Great to see some birds of a different country.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #3321 on: March 2, 2023, 07:06:27 pm »

Phuk yoo

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3322 on: March 2, 2023, 07:42:52 pm »
Very cute. Very different from our Robins here.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #3323 on: March 2, 2023, 08:13:38 pm »
Very cute. Very different from our Robins here.

Yep!

There were so many. I was too slow to click... :-\
Phuk yoo

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3324 on: March 2, 2023, 09:55:18 pm »
flippin eck - and all those at crosby beach?

nice photos mate

is the osprey one taken somewhere were they feed them? the fish is cut in half that's why i'm asking - ospreys are one of my favourite birds

and we do get black swans at crosby - not so much the rainbow lorikeets though  ;D

We don't have places to feed them locally. I was on a boat and spotted it heading toward its nest, we have a lot of nesting pairs that nest in the navigation beacons on Moreton bay. Grabbed the camera and took a snap, unfortunately it only had a 24-70 on at the time so I was a bit(lot) FL limited. Maybe the fish had been discarded by a fisherman or he ate half of it before taking it home to the family.  :)

Offline ShrewKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3325 on: March 3, 2023, 04:25:07 am »
We get some fun birds in Florida. Most of them are lovely to watch and listen to, although we currently have a limpkin who has set up home in our back garden. I’d never heard of them, and I wish I hadn’t! They are known as the “crying bird” and this thing just screams and screams all night long. Combined with thin windows, it’s causing some insomnia around here  ;D . I’m hoping it buggers off to a different area soon, and we can get back to the nice quieter birds!

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #3326 on: March 3, 2023, 08:03:32 am »
Yep!

There were so many. I was too slow to click... :-\

use A mode (aperture priority) for birds that aren't moving and S mode (shutter speed priority) for moving birds

in A mode you enter an f-stop for the available light - the brighter the light the larger the f-stop you can choose

in S mode enter a shutter speed something like 2000 or more (depends on the capabilities of your camera) and it'll freeze birds in flight or that are moving quickly

and make sure to select 'burst mode' for continuous shooting and see how you get on

play around with these settings (you have nothing to lose) and upload them if you take one you're happy with - remember that you can take tons of shots and only have a handful of good ones (this is normal even with the professionals)
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3327 on: March 3, 2023, 08:05:06 am »
We don't have places to feed them locally. I was on a boat and spotted it heading toward its nest, we have a lot of nesting pairs that nest in the navigation beacons on Moreton bay. Grabbed the camera and took a snap, unfortunately it only had a 24-70 on at the time so I was a bit(lot) FL limited. Maybe the fish had been discarded by a fisherman or he ate half of it before taking it home to the family.  :)

ah i see - very good that you got the shot  8)
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #3328 on: March 3, 2023, 02:19:30 pm »
use A mode (aperture priority) for birds that aren't moving and S mode (shutter speed priority) for moving birds

in A mode you enter an f-stop for the available light - the brighter the light the larger the f-stop you can choose

in S mode enter a shutter speed something like 2000 or more (depends on the capabilities of your camera) and it'll freeze birds in flight or that are moving quickly

and make sure to select 'burst mode' for continuous shooting and see how you get on

play around with these settings (you have nothing to lose) and upload them if you take one you're happy with - remember that you can take tons of shots and only have a handful of good ones (this is normal even with the professionals)

Cheers mate, much appreciated.

Going to the kings meadow on Sunday so will try the above suggestions to click better bird pics!

Phuk yoo

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3329 on: March 4, 2023, 10:45:06 pm »
Out and about walking again, not just about the birds this time. I'll put a few in the photography thread as well. Was a very mixed bag, which is always great when that happens.

Just one point I absolutely love the pick of Hawk in this series, it's one of my favorites so far and I only managed to get like 6 shots before he/she flew off.

Downy Woodpecker inspecting the hole

Yellow-rump warbler

Mallards

Red-Shouldered Hawk

Eastern towhee

Dark-eyed Junco

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3330 on: March 4, 2023, 11:04:57 pm »
Are they early morning Chakan? The sun light is hitting everything at lovely angles.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3331 on: March 4, 2023, 11:11:59 pm »
Are they early morning Chakan? The sun light is hitting everything at lovely angles.

Actually later in the afternoon like around 3:30/4pm. The sun is setting later and later here, so managing to stay out a bit later.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3332 on: March 4, 2023, 11:22:57 pm »
Ah ok, sort of the same thing, low sun angles.

Boss though mate.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3333 on: March 4, 2023, 11:29:55 pm »
Ah ok, sort of the same thing, low sun angles.

Boss though mate.

Thanks!

Yup pretty much. Really need to remember my sunglasses next time.

Will see how tomorrow goes might be able to go out again weather depending of course.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3334 on: March 5, 2023, 10:11:42 am »
Just had a female pheasant on the bird table with 2 others plus 3 crows patrolling round it waiting their turn 😂

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3335 on: March 5, 2023, 02:53:55 pm »
Out and about walking again, not just about the birds this time. I'll put a few in the photography thread as well. Was a very mixed bag, which is always great when that happens.

Just one point I absolutely love the pick of Hawk in this series, it's one of my favorites so far and I only managed to get like 6 shots before he/she flew off.

sound those mate - cracking birds too  :wave

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3336 on: March 5, 2023, 02:55:11 pm »
Your photos Chakan, always such a pleasure to see. I love woodpeckers, they look just like our ones as well.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3337 on: March 5, 2023, 04:24:15 pm »
sound those mate - cracking birds too  :wave

Your photos Chakan, always such a pleasure to see. I love woodpeckers, they look just like our ones as well.

TY was a very fun walk, hopefully will be able to get out today as well.

Yeah the woodpeckers are so much fun, we get mainly 2 here, the Downy Woodpecker and the red-bellied woodpecker. I hear them working at it all over the show.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3338 on: March 5, 2023, 11:19:27 pm »
Second walk of the weekend, the weather was absolutely fantastic this weekend! Not a cloud in the sky both day.

Came across this Great Blue Heron, searching for a drink and something to eat, it found a frog and thrashed it around for ages before swallowing it. Unfortunately by then my arms were tired and I missed it actually swallowing it, although I did get a pic just before the final gulp. Also saw this cute duck having a nice bath.

Red-Shouldered Hawk

Mallards

Great Blue Heron

Mallard bathing

Cardinal Male and Female

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3339 on: March 6, 2023, 08:38:28 am »
great stuff mate - i always say that if there isn't much going on then any behaviour, like the mallard washing itself, will usually result in a more interesting photo especially as you freeze the water droplets with a fast ss

...and if your arms are getting tired then try using a outdoor monopod - much lighter and easier to carry and you can leave it attached to your camera for when you need it

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3340 on: March 6, 2023, 10:44:10 am »
Great pics again Chakan. Where do you live, one of the Carolinas? Are you by the coast? Loads of wildlife around you!

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3341 on: March 6, 2023, 11:23:08 am »
Great pics again Chakan. Where do you live, one of the Carolinas? Are you by the coast? Loads of wildlife around you!

I live in the Carolinas yeah, north to be specific. I’m about 3/4 hours from the coast though.

@Liver, I do have a tripod that I usually carry around but not really on my wildlife walks. There’s usually not a call to set it up because I’m usually photographing birds between trees and they move like lightning. The heron was unexpected :)
« Last Edit: March 6, 2023, 11:29:18 am by Chakan »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3342 on: March 10, 2023, 09:24:15 am »
Unexpectedly working from home today which is nice. I have just filled all the feeders up there are some ravenous birds out there, heard a really unusual call so I got really excited. It ended up being a Great Tit! I just hadn't heard the call he was making before. I would love to understand all this bird call stuff.  ;D

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #3343 on: March 10, 2023, 09:26:29 am »
The Heron was back on the pond by me yesterday, eying up the moorhens building their nest  >:(

Magnificent creature though.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3344 on: March 10, 2023, 09:40:47 am »
The Heron was back on the pond by me yesterday, eying up the moorhens building their nest  >:(

Magnificent creature though.

Herons are so hard faced as well. When I got the train from Wallasey Village I would get to watch one fishing from some pond on a regular basis, bold as brass.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #3345 on: March 10, 2023, 10:15:16 am »
Herons are so hard faced as well. When I got the train from Wallasey Village I would get to watch one fishing from some pond on a regular basis, bold as brass.

Oh yes, they know they are the biggest and the best in the neighbourhood  ;D
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3346 on: March 10, 2023, 12:44:53 pm »
Unexpectedly working from home today which is nice. I have just filled all the feeders up there are some ravenous birds out there, heard a really unusual call so I got really excited. It ended up being a Great Tit! I just hadn't heard the call he was making before. I would love to understand all this bird call stuff.  ;D

bill oddie used to say - if you hear a bird song and you don't know what it is then it's most probably a great tit

those guys can come up with all sorts

but on that subject - here's some advice:

just learn one call at a time

record calls on your phone and then try and guess them

don't get downhearted if you're wrong because even the experts can argue over certain short contact calls

the rspb website has audio of birds

the best is xeno-canto though - it's full of uploaded calls from its users (it can look daunting but you'll soon get used to it)

here's a link to great tit (Parus major) calls/song

https://xeno-canto.org/species/Parus-major

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3347 on: March 10, 2023, 01:21:52 pm »
bill oddie used to say - if you hear a bird song and you don't know what it is then it's most probably a great tit

those guys can come up with all sorts

but on that subject - here's some advice:

just learn one call at a time

record calls on your phone and then try and guess them

don't get downhearted if you're wrong because even the experts can argue over certain short contact calls

the rspb website has audio of birds

the best is xeno-canto though - it's full of uploaded calls from its users (it can look daunting but you'll soon get used to it)

here's a link to great tit (Parus major) calls/song

https://xeno-canto.org/species/Parus-major

What a fantastic site that is, I didn't realise it had so many different calls overall. I go on the RSPB site a lot and they have probably the first two calls on their site. But it wasn't until I got to the fifth call that I identified it, you're right it was a Great Tit. I never heard Bill Oddie say that, I used to love Springwatch when he was on it he was so knowledgable. I have got a DVD of over a 150 species calls which is an interesting listening. But it doesn't have the depth of calls that the site above has. Thanks for that.  :D

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3348 on: March 11, 2023, 10:56:22 am »
Loving the photos on here, thanks to those sharing. New neighbours bringing three cats with them and health issues limiting what I can do means I'm not seeing many birds at all here (magpies and pigeons basically), so I'm enjoying the pics.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3349 on: March 11, 2023, 11:51:30 am »

We are exceptionally lucky that we have lots of song thrushes here and at this time of year it's beautiful listening to them singing their stuff.

What a range of calls they have that they put together into a full on song.  I managed to record one on my phone one morning it was full throttle until a cock pheasant ruined it 😂

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3350 on: March 11, 2023, 11:56:00 am »
We are exceptionally lucky that we have lots of song thrushes here and at this time of year it's beautiful listening to them singing their stuff.

What a range of calls they have that they put together into a full on song.  I managed to record one on my phone one morning it was full throttle until a cock pheasant ruined it 😂

I don't half miss thrushes. In our old place which had loads of trees we would get constant song from thrushes and blackbirds, but I have to go to the park for that now sadly.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3351 on: March 11, 2023, 12:01:57 pm »
I don't half miss thrushes. In our old place which had loads of trees we would get constant song from thrushes and blackbirds, but I have to go to the park for that now sadly.

I love them and we have no issues with slugs and snails in the garden which is a bonus.  If I find any amongst the plants I throw them onto the lawn and within minutes they're eaten ☺️

You really need to pay Anglesey a visit Jill as we have pretty much a full of range of species from sea birds, waders, raptors, passerines, woodland birds etc 👍

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3352 on: March 11, 2023, 12:04:56 pm »
I love them and we have no issues with slugs and snails in the garden which is a bonus.  If I find any amongst the plants I throw them onto the lawn and within minutes they're eaten ☺️

You really need to pay Anglesey a visit Jill as we have pretty much a full of range of species from sea birds, waders, raptors, passerines, woodland birds etc 👍

It sounds like heaven. Once spring arrives I'm packing my bag and we'll meet for that pint somewhere.  :)

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3353 on: March 11, 2023, 12:19:46 pm »
It sounds like heaven. Once spring arrives I'm packing my bag and we'll meet for that pint somewhere.  :)

Great stuff 👍

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3354 on: March 11, 2023, 03:58:28 pm »
Loving the photos on here, thanks to those sharing. New neighbours bringing three cats with them and health issues limiting what I can do means I'm not seeing many birds at all here (magpies and pigeons basically), so I'm enjoying the pics.

glad you're enjoying everyone's photos - we're all bird lovers in here  :wave

What a range of calls they have that they put together into a full on song.  I managed to record one on my phone one morning it was full throttle until a cock pheasant ruined it ??

here's 2 links to recordings i did on my phone of a lone song thrush and also a trio of singers (think of the 3 tenors) with a song thrush, a blackbird and a dunnock all trying to outdo each other

https://on.soundcloud.com/NPb5G

https://on.soundcloud.com/zjGFE

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3355 on: March 12, 2023, 11:03:25 am »
This a trailer from the David Attenborough documentary which starts tonight on BBC1 at 7pm, called Wild Isles. It looks spectacular.

https://youtu.be/C-KcTje9sMk

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3356 on: March 12, 2023, 02:10:21 pm »
glad you're enjoying everyone's photos - we're all bird lovers in here  :wave

here's 2 links to recordings i did on my phone of a lone song thrush and also a trio of singers (think of the 3 tenors) with a song thrush, a blackbird and a dunnock all trying to outdo each other

https://on.soundcloud.com/NPb5G

https://on.soundcloud.com/zjGFE

:wave I'm a big fan, too. I enjoy drawing and painting them, as well as taking photos. A bit limited in what I can do right now so this thread is like a balm :) Some great photographers here.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3357 on: March 18, 2023, 09:52:10 pm »
First walk for the weekend. I plan to go out tomorrow as well, weather permitting.

So I saw 2 different hawks, the first one was fighting with another hawk for the mouse it caught, unfortunately by the time I got there the other one had flown away and the remaining one was just finishing it's meal. I managed to get like 4 shots before it took off.

The other hawk was perfectly perched right near me, so managed to get some really nice shots from behind and then went around to get some front shots. It then flew down to the ground, but those shots are obscured quite a bit by trees and bushes, then it flew up to a tree which was really close to the wooden bridge I was on and managed to get some nice close ups of it, unfortunately I was really zoomed in when it took flight, so managed to get one nice one of it just before take off and the rest are terrible of it flying as i'm waaaaaaaay to zoomed in. A pity.

If people want to see the flight shots I can post them...

Red-bellied Woodpecker

First Red-Shouldered Hawk with the mouse

Downy woodpecker playing peeka-boo, it's a bit out of focus but a cute shot nonetheless

Red-Shouldered Hawk number 2

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3358 on: March 18, 2023, 09:55:59 pm »
Fantastic photos as ever Chakan, I would love to see the flight ones please. Those Hawk ones especially are amazing you can see every detail.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3359 on: March 18, 2023, 09:59:37 pm »
Fantastic photos as ever Chakan, I would love to see the flight ones please. Those Hawk ones especially are amazing you can see every detail.

Thanks! Ok i'll work on the flight ones and post them a bit later, gonna head to do some shopping then i'll edit them when I get back. The second hawk was perfectly perched for photos, like he knew I was coming ;D