Author Topic: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)  (Read 173174 times)

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
Re: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)
« Reply #1600 on: April 8, 2022, 02:56:09 pm »
Sun out today and Acers all back to life, always look beautiful when the leaves first start appearing.

Tree lilies along with normal lilies sprouting out.

Had a poke around the tree ferns and glad to see both have solid knuckles.

Must basjoo have stopped growing with the recent frosts but really glad we had a relatively mild winter so lost no height, should be over 10ft by the end of summer 😁

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1601 on: April 8, 2022, 07:08:48 pm »
Lads n lasses - a question - we have a neighbour who, bless him, cuts down hedges on his boundary. He’s a nice old man but he’s growing veg now and figures he’s entitled. He probably is based on a right to light but I put a screen up when he first did it cos it was 3 months before we got married in our garden - it went from being totally enclosed to open on one side at that boundary.

Anyway fast forward almost three years and there’s a honeysuckle growing up the screen… but it’s not evergreen, and it’s not covering the area very quickly at all.

It’s a mostly shady area although it does get nice sun a few hours each day. What do you reckon would screen off the structure best over a couple of years folks?

I was thinking about an Ivy or a climbing hydrangea but any ideas? I tried a kiwi but it died…
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1602 on: April 8, 2022, 08:21:22 pm »

Russian vine Roy. 

It'll cover it in no time but it'll cover everything else in the vicinity too so you'd need to keep on top of pruning it 😁

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1603 on: April 8, 2022, 08:27:08 pm »
Sweetpeas are good for that,hardy and easy to grow.

Now I have a question,one of my begonias is starting to get some yellow spots,what feed do you guys use ?

Desperate for last frost because they're dying to get outside.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1604 on: April 8, 2022, 08:32:39 pm »
Lads n lasses - a question - we have a neighbour who, bless him, cuts down hedges on his boundary. He’s a nice old man but he’s growing veg now and figures he’s entitled. He probably is based on a right to light but I put a screen up when he first did it cos it was 3 months before we got married in our garden - it went from being totally enclosed to open on one side at that boundary.

Anyway fast forward almost three years and there’s a honeysuckle growing up the screen… but it’s not evergreen, and it’s not covering the area very quickly at all.

It’s a mostly shady area although it does get nice sun a few hours each day. What do you reckon would screen off the structure best over a couple of years folks?

I was thinking about an Ivy or a climbing hydrangea but any ideas? I tried a kiwi but it died…

Climbing hydrangeas are lovely but they take a while to get going;if you're in a hurry I'd go with Debs' suggestion.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1605 on: April 8, 2022, 09:52:34 pm »
Sweetpeas are good for that,hardy and easy to grow.

Now I have a question,one of my begonias is starting to get some yellow spots,what feed do you guys use ?

Desperate for last frost because they're dying to get outside.

They're miles ahead of mine then mate, there's only one with leaves so far 😯

We use liquid tomato feed for ours but no idea if that's the right thing.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1606 on: April 9, 2022, 07:28:34 am »
A Russian vine you say… *scarpers to investigate*
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #1607 on: April 10, 2022, 02:57:13 pm »
Honeysuckle Roy, scent is fantastic.
Y.N.W.A.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1608 on: April 10, 2022, 03:28:29 pm »
I've been at my sister's last week and brought back a selection of plants she'd got for me from work.

Hellebores, hardy geraniums, hostas, hebes, euphorbia, yarrow and others that I can't remember the names of.

I can always rely on her for the most crazy things too.  I've been looking at buying a hazel sapling, not just because it's a nice native tree but so the red squirrels can have the nuts.

As she was showing me what plants she'd got for me I said I'd like to try and find one whilst I was there (she lives in a forest) and she just pointed and said, there's two in the pond you can have 😂

How bonkers is that!  She's been collecting them while out on her walks so she can make a hedge.

Think I'm pretty much set now ready for summer, everything's doing well inside and out. 

I just need to get some compost cos I've run out and apparently some iron feed for the Camelia and I'm set until the seedlings and bedding plants are ready to go in next month.

How's everyone else getting on?

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1609 on: April 11, 2022, 12:59:14 pm »
Honeysuckle Roy, scent is fantastic.

D'you know mate, that's the one thing I have got on it just now - it's a bit piddly though - doesn't cover the surface. Nice though!

I'm definitely gonna try and learn what Hazel saplings look like Debs - our squirrels are happy with the peanuts but you can tell what they prefer when you see the discarded Hazel bits down the bottom of the garden. I want pine martens in - they're nearby now (saw one knocked over on the road in the Autumn).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 01:02:37 pm by royhendo »

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1610 on: April 11, 2022, 09:56:20 pm »
D'you know mate, that's the one thing I have got on it just now - it's a bit piddly though - doesn't cover the surface. Nice though!

I'm definitely gonna try and learn what Hazel saplings look like Debs - our squirrels are happy with the peanuts but you can tell what they prefer when you see the discarded Hazel bits down the bottom of the garden. I want pine martens in - they're nearby now (saw one knocked over on the road in the Autumn).

Of course you're in/near woodland aren't you!

Hazel saplings are a bit sprawly, as in branches in all directions.  They might still have their catkins on where you are so quite easy to identify.  If not then they have pointy, wavey patterned leaves.

Wow pine Martin's how fabulous!  I don't blame you for trying to attract them into the garden.  I'd love to see something like that.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1611 on: April 12, 2022, 11:44:31 am »
So are they a bit like Beech leaves but jaggier and waftier?

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1612 on: April 12, 2022, 04:17:30 pm »
So are they a bit like Beech leaves but jaggier and waftier?

Yeah pretty much Roy.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1613 on: April 12, 2022, 04:55:39 pm »
Ta Debs - I think maybe we already have one hanging over from a neighbour's garden. We've christened the squirrel Nutella. She's scared of pigeons and hides in a wee pine tree till they go away, then gets stuck into the nut feeders.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1614 on: April 12, 2022, 05:07:18 pm »
Ta Debs - I think maybe we already have one hanging over from a neighbour's garden. We've christened the squirrel Nutella. She's scared of pigeons and hides in a wee pine tree till they go away, then gets stuck into the nut feeders.

Good name 😁

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1615 on: April 14, 2022, 07:48:35 pm »
Checking on my new wildflowers that I planted over the autumn some are starting tp flower haven't seen any butterfly's yet but lots of bumblebees never seen so many in my garden hopefully the butterfly etc will appear soon
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1616 on: April 15, 2022, 10:29:22 pm »
It’s all about to go “boomf” Trada!

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1617 on: April 15, 2022, 10:30:18 pm »
Good name 😁

She’s wonderful - shit scared of the pigeons though

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1618 on: April 16, 2022, 07:27:41 pm »
How's everyone's garden looking now we've reached Easter? 

We're technically half way through spring and already had some warmer weather so is everything about to burst into colour or still holding back a bit?

My early spring bulbs have all but finished now.  There's still the odd daffodil, the anenomes are still going strong and the tulips are nearly there.

My peonies, wegeila, hydrangeas and dahlias have buds already and I'm counting down the days till I can plant my seedlings out instead of carrying them all outside in the morning to bring them all back in again at night.

I think I need to invest in a cold frame for next year if I'm growing from seed again.

The onions are doing really well too, I've maybe 6 or 7 out of 100 or so that haven't done anything.  The parnips are showing too now after the 2nd attempt but my raspberry's really aren't doing anything. 

I think I need to find a better spot for them, with some better soil too or maybe just grow them in pots.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1619 on: April 16, 2022, 08:39:19 pm »
How's everyone's garden looking now we've reached Easter? 

My 2 Flame of the Forests have been lovely this year, they seemed to have grown 2 feet since last year. The Bride has flourished early. Daffs are well gone and Tulips very disappointing. Forsythia has blossomed nicely having cut is back (I butchered the fuckin thing) to much 2 years ago. The Azalea's will be out in a couple of weeks, love them. Might post a pic.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1620 on: April 16, 2022, 09:03:31 pm »
My 2 Flame of the Forests have been lovely this year, they seemed to have grown 2 feet since last year. The Bride has flourished early. Daffs are well gone and Tulips very disappointing. Forsythia has blossomed nicely having cut is back (I butchered the fuckin thing) to much 2 years ago. The Azalea's will be out in a couple of weeks, love them. Might post a pic.

My pieris have been mixed.  The little Goldy isn't doing well as something keeps digging round it but the mountain fire is blazing away nicely. 

I butchered the forsythia last year too as it had got ridiculously tall and out of control so I knew we wouldn't get anything off it.  Fingers crossed it'll be beaut next year.

My azaleas are nearly done already 😯

Definitely get some pics up John, it's always nice to see other people's gardens

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1621 on: April 18, 2022, 01:19:18 am »
Aldi have a cold frame for £34.99 with a 3yr guarantee.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1622 on: April 18, 2022, 08:32:06 am »
Aldi have a cold frame for £34.99 with a 3yr guarantee.

Nice one mate I've been toying with the idea of building myself one for next year 👍

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1623 on: April 18, 2022, 09:06:31 am »
My one’s been brilliant I have to say. The Aldi ones look really good though. Made mine from an old bed slat set, some Perspex roll, and some outdoor paint. The guy used to do the plans for free, but it looks like that’s fallen over on his site.  If you message me I’ll email you them tho.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 09:09:15 am by royhendo »

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1624 on: April 18, 2022, 09:54:16 am »
My one’s been brilliant I have to say. The Aldi ones look really good though. Made mine from an old bed slat set, some Perspex roll, and some outdoor paint. The guy used to do the plans for free, but it looks like that’s fallen over on his site.  If you message me I’ll email you them tho.

Cheers Roy that would be brill as my plans were a bit more crude using old pallets and an old window 😂

Offline Slippers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1625 on: April 19, 2022, 08:00:06 am »
My pieris have been mixed.  The little Goldy isn't doing well as something keeps digging round it but the mountain fire is blazing away nicely. 

I butchered the forsythia last year too as it had got ridiculously tall and out of control so I knew we wouldn't get anything off it.  Fingers crossed it'll be beaut next year.

My azaleas are nearly done already 😯

Definitely get some pics up John, it's always nice to see other people's gardens

I got rid of our pieris a couple of weeks ago,it was well over thirty years old and looking pretty ratty.

Also the dog had taken to 'pruning' it for some reason. ::)

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1626 on: April 19, 2022, 08:23:46 am »
I got rid of our pieris a couple of weeks ago,it was well over thirty years old and looking pretty ratty.

Also the dog had taken to 'pruning' it for some reason. ::)

They are very long lasting, did you get cuttings before throwing it?

My sister who lived at my parents until they died took cuttings of every plant in the garden when it went up for sale 😔

Offline Slippers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1627 on: April 19, 2022, 08:35:25 am »
They are very long lasting, did you get cuttings before throwing it?

My sister who lived at my parents until they died took cuttings of every plant in the garden when it went up for sale 😔

I didn't think about taking cuttings.I bought it when we lived at our old place but we didn't have the right type of soil there so it spent ten years in a huge pot next to the front door.

I did go looking for one to replace it  but the ones at our local garden centre were tiny and proper scabby looking.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1628 on: April 19, 2022, 07:25:11 pm »
I didn't think about taking cuttings.I bought it when we lived at our old place but we didn't have the right type of soil there so it spent ten years in a huge pot next to the front door.

I did go looking for one to replace it  but the ones at our local garden centre were tiny and proper scabby looking.

That's a shame and I know what you mean about garden centre shrubs sometimes.  They're usually so expensive too 😯

Offline Slippers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1629 on: April 20, 2022, 11:02:06 am »
That's a shame and I know what you mean about garden centre shrubs sometimes.  They're usually so expensive too 😯

Ours is pretty reasonable and only a few hundred yards from our house,they don't have an awful lot of choice though.

Having said that I did find a nice azalea and a lovely yellow rose. :)

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1630 on: April 20, 2022, 07:32:19 pm »
Ours is pretty reasonable and only a few hundred yards from our house,they don't have an awful lot of choice though.

Having said that I did find a nice azalea and a lovely yellow rose. :)

We have a fabulous one in Bangor that sells absolutely everything but some of the prices are ridiculous.

We also have a roadside place 5mins from home that sells really good quality stuff at reasonable prices but it's pot luck what they have.

Offline Slippers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1631 on: April 20, 2022, 09:11:42 pm »
We have a fabulous one in Bangor that sells absolutely everything but some of the prices are ridiculous.

We also have a roadside place 5mins from home that sells really good quality stuff at reasonable prices but it's pot luck what they have.

There's a much bigger one about three miles out of town that has some lovely stuff but they don't know what to charge;the rose I paid £6.50 for would cost over twenty quid there.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1632 on: April 20, 2022, 09:28:55 pm »
There's a much bigger one about three miles out of town that has some lovely stuff but they don't know what to charge;the rose I paid £6.50 for would cost over twenty quid there.

£6.50 for a rose is a decent price round here.  We visited a different place to our normal one last year and was horrified to see them priced at £35 😯

Offline Slippers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1633 on: April 20, 2022, 09:33:31 pm »
£6.50 for a rose is a decent price round here.  We visited a different place to our normal one last year and was horrified to see them priced at £35 😯

I did pay £25 for one last year,but I used the gift voucher our neighbour gave me after his builders wrecked our front garden.

Offline Upanishad

• Change is good
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • hi
« Reply #1634 on: April 22, 2022, 12:43:20 pm »
Just started getting into gardening this year, got a veg bed and quite a few seedlings sprouting in various pots.
Whats the advice with tomatoes in terms of timing? Mine are only about 2cm high! Is it better to have them more mature at this time of year?
Wondering if we'll only get green tomatoes by the end of the summer... thanks
Voyager-1 is on course to approach a star called AC +793888, but it will only get to within two light-years of it and it will be tens of thousands of years before it does so.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1635 on: April 22, 2022, 05:47:14 pm »
Just started getting into gardening this year, got a veg bed and quite a few seedlings sprouting in various pots.
Whats the advice with tomatoes in terms of timing? Mine are only about 2cm high! Is it better to have them more mature at this time of year?
Wondering if we'll only get green tomatoes by the end of the summer... thanks

Will they be growing in a greenhouse or outside?

We grew tomatoes from seed last year without a greenhouse.  We had them on the conservatory windowsill to germinate then when they look like a seedling with several leaves put them into individual small pots.

If growing outside start putting them outside on warm days during May to harden them off ready for planting out but don't do that till the risk of night frosts have gone.

Once they were around 20cms we planted some in growbags and others in big pots on a South facing wall with canes and string ready for when the needed tying up.

We didn't get any till August (as opposed to June for greenhouse ones) but we were still picking them in October.

Enjoy mate 👍

Offline Upanishad

• Change is good
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • hi
« Reply #1636 on: April 22, 2022, 10:13:11 pm »
Will they be growing in a greenhouse or outside?

We grew tomatoes from seed last year without a greenhouse.  We had them on the conservatory windowsill to germinate then when they look like a seedling with several leaves put them into individual small pots.

If growing outside start putting them outside on warm days during May to harden them off ready for planting out but don't do that till the risk of night frosts have gone.

Once they were around 20cms we planted some in growbags and others in big pots on a South facing wall with canes and string ready for when the needed tying up.

We didn't get any till August (as opposed to June for greenhouse ones) but we were still picking them in October.

Enjoy mate 👍

Thanks for the tips! will follow that :) Yes they're outside now, but covered at night. Main problem is keeping the cats off from digging up the seedling trays!

Voyager-1 is on course to approach a star called AC +793888, but it will only get to within two light-years of it and it will be tens of thousands of years before it does so.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1637 on: April 23, 2022, 11:39:26 am »
Thanks for the tips! will follow that :) Yes they're outside now, but covered at night. Main problem is keeping the cats off from digging up the seedling trays!

I wouldn't have them outside yet they're far too tender to cope with the conditions.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1638 on: May 2, 2022, 10:32:43 am »
Anyone know what kind of tree this is?

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1639 on: May 2, 2022, 11:24:43 am »
Anyone know what kind of tree this is?

Could be an Hinoki cypress.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.