Author Topic: The Aussie Thread  (Read 329892 times)

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Aussie Thread
« Reply #4320 on: September 5, 2019, 05:28:34 am »
Also to the rest of you, is there any hope for someone like me to buy a house in this country when a) I only moved here last year at 30 b) Can't live with my parents to save on rent c) Nor are they bankrolling my 30th floor apartment in Sydney CBD as I start with uni. I know the answers already but I guess I'm just venting.

It's a hard slog mate.  I've got a few years on you and can't really see too many ways forward without a housing crash (or parents economically stable enough to assist in one way or another).  I'm stably employed with a good wage and could comfortably afford a mortgage, but as with every other schmuck renting I can't afford a deposit - not too much in the way of savings to speak of at the moment.  There are things I could potentially do (e.g. move west and find cheaper rents) to boost saving but if you've got to hit 100-150k for a deposit while paying rent and what not... you're screwed.  Particularly given that most people in this country aren't as lucky with their employment as I am.

I have a three way family investment flat down in Melbourne and I think that's the way out.  Buying out of state or regional and using that to build equity that can eventually be used to buy a place to actually live in.  Only problem there (morally for me) is that it's perpetuating the systemic problems that we have.

« Last Edit: September 5, 2019, 05:36:36 am by leroy »

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4321 on: September 5, 2019, 06:59:23 am »
It's a hard slog mate.  I've got a few years on you and can't really see too many ways forward without a housing crash (or parents economically stable enough to assist in one way or another).  I'm stably employed with a good wage and could comfortably afford a mortgage, but as with every other schmuck renting I can't afford a deposit - not too much in the way of savings to speak of at the moment.  There are things I could potentially do (e.g. move west and find cheaper rents) to boost saving but if you've got to hit 100-150k for a deposit while paying rent and what not... you're screwed.  Particularly given that most people in this country aren't as lucky with their employment as I am.

I have a three way family investment flat down in Melbourne and I think that's the way out.  Buying out of state or regional and using that to build equity that can eventually be used to buy a place to actually live in.  Only problem there (morally for me) is that it's perpetuating the systemic problems that we have.

Yeah I'm the same. Have a very decent job that pays well, but can't really have a 150k in deposit ready for another 3-4 years unless I decide to have no life outside saving every penny I can (which beats the purpose of moving here!). I've seen quite a few apartments in Sydney, including the one I'm currently renting, and honestly they're absolutely not worth the money. Agree with going west to get something 100-200k cheaper maybe.

Sorry to anyone who owns property here but I'm praying for a crash too ;D

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4322 on: September 6, 2019, 06:56:50 am »
For a couple who are both working on a good wage it's do-able.  If you're looking at 150k over 5 years - $600 a week on top of living expenses - pretty significant on a single salary. 

Studio's are going for 400k+.  It's blood absurd.

« Last Edit: September 6, 2019, 06:59:07 am by leroy »

Offline Scaryscouse

• Purveyor of shite english lager
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice packet of Crunchy Nut you got here
« Reply #4323 on: September 20, 2019, 12:23:42 am »
Well done on your move SS, glad to know it's all working out! Why did you move away from Sydney, if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry mate, just getting to this now.  Certainly don't mind you asking, a couple of reasons, my wife is stupidly close with her sisters and two of them moved up here. That was the main reason but also we were kind of economic migrants Sydney was just getting too pricey for us. Cheaper rent and roughly the same pay scale for what we do. Also I never wanted to be cold again in my life. It ticked all the boxes! It was a slow start but it was the right move for us.

The place is on the up and we wanted to be up here and settled before it takes off.
I remember years ago doing the fart with your fingers pointed like a gun.

I did it to my brother, I had a dressing gown on.

Instead of farting I shat on the floor - my brother thought I was demented.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4324 on: September 20, 2019, 01:36:36 am »
Well done on your move SS, glad to know it's all working out! Why did you move away from Sydney, if you don't mind me asking?

Also to the rest of you, is there any hope for someone like me to buy a house in this country when a) I only moved here last year at 30 b) Can't live with my parents to save on rent c) Nor are they bankrolling my 30th floor apartment in Sydney CBD as I start with uni. I know the answers already but I guess I'm just venting.

Short answer is I think it is possible on a dual income to buy in a suburb further away from the city. Or you could hope for a windfall from somewhere or maybe start a business at some point to help substantially increase your income. Otherwise, it is very hard without family support. Particularly in Sydney. My mate bought a house in Sydney some 35kms out of the CBD in the North West but it's a dual-income household and both of them make a bit more than 100k from what I understand.

Realistically, I think if you want to buy, you might have to be willing to either move to a less expensive city or be willing to move further out from the city in the west or depending on your industry move to a cheaper city. The prices in Sydney as far as I can tell are overinflated by old money and the finance industry. Pay scales for most other things are roughly similar across the country. Certainly in the major cities. So if buying is something you're really concerned about, then by all means, be willing to move.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4325 on: September 20, 2019, 01:39:47 am »
We ended up in West End, absolutely love it there. Walk to work by the river most mornings and stop at the Montague hotel on the way home. Loving the lifestyle up here BIG change from Sydney.

West End was my old hunting ground. It's a truly lovely part of Brisbane. It has just enough buzz but you can always get away from it by going closer to the river. Some good, cheap eats around the area too. The Vietnamese restaurants on Hardgrave Rd are quite good. The Indian Kitchen is a bit of an institution as well.

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline great power rising

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4326 on: September 21, 2019, 02:09:34 am »
After almost 10 years in Australia, I'm becoming a citizen in the next couple of hours!

Congratulations mate!

Sydney comes with a premium compared to Melbourne which I think is absolutely worth it considering the beaches. The Eastern suburbs and North Shore have been priced out for most people due to generational wealth and if you want to break in to those places you need to be targeting 200k. Not sure you want to live over there though, full of pretentious wankers and North Shore Australians are just awful.

If you make a 100k you could make the shire work which is 30 min from Cronulla and 1 hour to the CBD but then you have to live with Bogans who have too much cash.

The Western suburbs is where all the affordable stuff is and I'm sure there are many a places over there where you can pick things up for like 500k. Hurstville which is 20 min to the CBD due to the express train is also quite affordable. 99% Chinese so you may want to pick up some Mandarin.

Anyway, not sure why people like to buy a house. There are better places to put your money. Rent for life!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 02:18:33 am by great power rising »

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4327 on: October 24, 2019, 12:56:04 pm »
Not been in here in a while so firstly, congrats on the citizenship, jooneyisdagod! Nice one.

Couple of developments for us in terms of the move over:

1) My wife is pregnant, with twins(!), and having checked up on the visa requirements for them it's far from the relatively swift and inexpensive exercise I was hoping for. Estimates from the government website currently stating up to 24 months to process, at a cost of around £1,800 per child. Eye watering. I'm hoping/assuming there will be bridging visas available while the applications are being processed. Mad thing is, we were told by the emigration agent that we used initially that should they be born on Aussie soil, they'd be given instant citizenship. No fees, processing times, nothing. Cue me working all sorts of mental gymnastics around getting the wife over there for The Big Reveal.

2) We're looking at buying a property in Melbourne at the moment, ahead of the move over. By all accounts it's a pretty good time to buy right now, and overall it makes sense for us as well. Fair to say that the prices in general have raised a few eyebrows amongst us though and forced a little re-calibration in terms of what we're looking at, and where. Kinda ended up coming to the conclusion that if we want to be by the coast (which my wife does) then the Mornington Peninsula is probably the most (AKA only) affordable area, but comes without direct public transport links to the city, or we look inland to somewhere with pretty hefty development ongoing like Craigieburn (my wife has family there already) which is 40 minutes out by train.

More research needed but we're mainly just excited to be making some proper strides towards that move now, which has literally been lingering in the background for years.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 01:03:46 pm by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4328 on: October 25, 2019, 04:42:30 am »
1) My wife is pregnant, with twins(!), and having checked up on the visa requirements for them it's far from the relatively swift and inexpensive exercise I was hoping for. Estimates from the government website currently stating up to 24 months to process, at a cost of around £1,800 per child. Eye watering. I'm hoping/assuming there will be bridging visas available while the applications are being processed. Mad thing is, we were told by the emigration agent that we used initially that should they be born on Aussie soil, they'd be given instant citizenship. No fees, processing times, nothing. Cue me working all sorts of mental gymnastics around getting the wife over there for The Big Reveal.

2) We're looking at buying a property in Melbourne at the moment, ahead of the move over. By all accounts it's a pretty good time to buy right now, and overall it makes sense for us as well. Fair to say that the prices in general have raised a few eyebrows amongst us though and forced a little re-calibration in terms of what we're looking at, and where. Kinda ended up coming to the conclusion that if we want to be by the coast (which my wife does) then the Mornington Peninsula is probably the most (AKA only) affordable area, but comes without direct public transport links to the city, or we look inland to somewhere with pretty hefty development ongoing like Craigieburn (my wife has family there already) which is 40 minutes out by train.

More research needed but we're mainly just excited to be making some proper strides towards that move now, which has literally been lingering in the background for years.

On the citizenship for kids front - it hasn't been that way for a long time.  A child born here is only a citizen if at least one of the parents is a citizen or has PR status. 

Just had a quick look and if a child is born here and neither parent are citizens or have PR then the child automatically gets citizenship on their 10th birthday.

Good luck with the house hunt.  It's a real struggle down here.  Either rent closer in or buy and commute a couple  hours a day.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 04:44:23 am by leroy »

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4329 on: October 25, 2019, 04:46:09 am »
Just saw this:

Children born in Australia to temporary visa holders

When it comes to children born in Australia to parents on temporary visas Ms Hamawi explains that children are granted visas with conditions similar to those of their parents’ visa.

“Children born to temporary visa holders in Australia are granted temporary visas. But it is important to note that children born in Australia who hold temporary visas and live in Australia for 10 consecutive years, are eligible to apply and be granted Australian citizenship”.

https://www.sbs.com.au/language/english/australian-residency-rights-for-children-born-to-migrant-parents_4

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4330 on: October 25, 2019, 07:47:24 am »
On the citizenship for kids front - it hasn't been that way for a long time.  A child born here is only a citizen if at least one of the parents is a citizen or has PR status. 

Yeah, that was my assumption and in our case we both have PR status.

Good luck with the house hunt.  It's a real struggle down here.  Either rent closer in or buy and commute a couple  hours a day.

Thanks mate, and yeah I can absolutely see the struggle and don't envy anyone looking to get their foot on the ladder, particularly in and around the likes of Sydney and Melbourne. As you say, the viable option is to buy further out and commute. Either that or we buy something smaller and rent that out to pay for itself, and then rent ourselves elsewhere. At least that way we're getting ourselves on the ladder as something to build forward from.

Plenty to think about anyway!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 07:50:06 am by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #4331 on: October 25, 2019, 11:18:36 pm »
Not been in here in a while so firstly, congrats on the citizenship, jooneyisdagod! Nice one.

Couple of developments for us in terms of the move over:

I live in the Mornington Peninsula mate, the commute isn’t too bad. It’s a fantastic area to live in. Loads of Reds down here as well!
We are Liverpool!

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4332 on: October 27, 2019, 07:08:53 am »
I live in the Mornington Peninsula mate, the commute isn’t too bad. It’s a fantastic area to live in. Loads of Reds down here as well!

Thanks for the reply mate and good to hear! I'm trying to avoid driving into the city to be honest, and wasn't sure about the ease of public transport links from there. Do you drive it?
Twitter | Blog

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #4333 on: October 28, 2019, 05:11:38 am »
Thanks for the reply mate and good to hear! I'm trying to avoid driving into the city to be honest, and wasn't sure about the ease of public transport links from there. Do you drive it?

I personally don’t no as I work nearby, but know lots who either drive all the way, or drive to Frankston and catch the train from there.
We are Liverpool!

Offline OzBomber

• Favourite manager Tommy Tootchel favourite Player Naby 'lid' Kyta
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4334 on: November 19, 2019, 10:42:53 pm »
Seeing Jamie Webster in Melbourne in Thursday. Saw him in Madrid so cannot wait to see him perform again. Anyone else going to any of the nights?

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #4335 on: December 31, 2019, 02:32:49 am »
I’m in no danger myself, but some hellish images and stories around bushfire season this year.

Horrible.
We are Liverpool!

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #4336 on: December 31, 2019, 02:48:25 pm »
Happy New Year ....but those in danger stay safe...the footage of Mallacoota is horrific...pitch black at 9.30am is is unreal...4000 people stranded on a beach
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 02:52:10 pm by Branno »
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4337 on: December 31, 2019, 08:23:22 pm »
I'm currently keeping on eye on friends in The Blue Mountains, and Jervis Bay.

Be  safe and well, all of our Antipodean RAWKites.

Hope you're all safe.  :o

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #4338 on: January 2, 2020, 11:05:36 am »
My friends were in Batemans Bay, fires were less than 10km from the campsite they were staying.

No telephones, internet, fuel or food on NYE. Pitch black at 9.30am. They managed to get out yesterday, but had to abandon caravan as not enough fuel. They are lucky.

Worsening conditions expected in NSW and VIC this weekend. This could get really Fucking bad.
We are Liverpool!

Offline OzBomber

• Favourite manager Tommy Tootchel favourite Player Naby 'lid' Kyta
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4339 on: January 3, 2020, 11:02:39 am »
It should be a thread of its own so it gets the attention it deserves.. The smoke has blanketed the glaciers in New Zealand, and in Melbourne today the air pollution was at "hazardous" levels.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2019/12/new-south-wales-fires-in-australia-the-worlds-response.html?__twitter_impression=true

Half a BILLION animals have died and it dwarfs the Amazon fires which got mass coverage. So so sad.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #4340 on: January 4, 2020, 01:36:09 am »
im at the foot of the blue mtns, and the smoke is horrible, 3 mths ago when this all started my mrs ended up in hospital with pneumonia for 2 weeks after seeing 3 doctors in a  week all of who blamed the smoke and told her to "continue taking your  ventolin and pulmicort"..twats..
Anyway, whilst we are suffering some discomfort, half of the country is on fire pollies and fucking greenies are to blame .."cant do hazard reduction burns in spring as it will kill the baby birds, well guess what ..the birds and many many many other species are now dead because the fires are so horrific,, 400 stranded in the water at malacoota waiting for the navy to get them out.. and theres loads more stories.. this guy gives a decent round up of events   https://twitter.com/manwithoutatan/status/1212523804620152832 

to all my fellow reds, and anyone else in OZ this summer, take care, its going to be one helluva ride

BTW, its now 43C  with an expected top of 47 where i am..
« Last Edit: January 4, 2020, 01:46:57 am by capt k »
JFT 96

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #4341 on: January 4, 2020, 12:59:39 pm »

BTW, its now 43C  with an expected top of 47 where i am..

well even that was wrong...

Heat records around Australia have continued to tumble today, with the ACT reaching its highest-ever recorded temperature and Penrith topping 48.9 degrees Celsius.  49 C.. had to drink copious amounts of ale to take the edge off the heat.
JFT 96

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4342 on: January 4, 2020, 01:01:32 pm »
And in the midst of all this, the PM has released a marketing video on behalf of his party with a list of "actions" his government has taken to tackle this problem, complete with upbeat music and everything. What a pathetic twat. He does not deserve to be in this position.

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4343 on: January 4, 2020, 10:53:21 pm »
And in the midst of all this, the PM has released a marketing video on behalf of his party with a list of "actions" his government has taken to tackle this problem, complete with upbeat music and everything. What a pathetic twat. He does not deserve to be in this position.

Is he stupid? Is he calculating? Is he ignorant? That ad is one of the most tone-deaf things I've ever seen. His reputation is beyond repair at this point.

He also said that the Federal Government will not wait for the States to request resources which has been the long standing protocol in these situations, and that the Federal Govt. is taking control and deploying the troops and the water bombers and the trucks as they see fit. This is a show of leadership in face of great tragedy. Here I stand, taking charge of the situation.

Mate, you had warnings from NSW rural fire back in MARCH, APRIL, and SEPTEMBER.

Then a few hours later he releases his video complete with a "DONATE" link that donates money to the LIBERAL PARTY and not the many services requiring financial aid.

As the ABC put it last night; partisan to the end.
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4344 on: January 4, 2020, 11:03:51 pm »
The scale of it looks horrific, hope all the Aussies on here and families are all ok. What will it take for this to end?  Heavy rainfall presumably and I guess there’s none in sight? I read that thunderstorms are generating from the smoke clouds is that right? Crazy stuff.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4345 on: January 4, 2020, 11:23:02 pm »
Spent a few months in Aus in summer, visited the Blue Mountains and seeing the scale of destruction that's happened in such a beautiful part of the World is heartbreaking. All the best to you guys over there.

I've been wondering why they haven't been using planes to tackle the fires, considering the scale. I saw Scott Morrison getting some stick for 'rejecting' the offer of them from the US?

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #4346 on: January 4, 2020, 11:45:42 pm »
The scale of it looks horrific, hope all the Aussies on here and families are all ok. What will it take for this to end?  Heavy rainfall presumably and I guess there’s none in sight? I read that thunderstorms are generating from the smoke clouds is that right? Crazy stuff.

Yep, the fires are generating their own lightning strikes.

There’s no rainfall at all in some of these areas and none coming any time soon.

Basically, air water dumps and cooler conditions are what’s needed.

Re: Greenies denying planned burns, etc. They don’t have the power to do anything, so not sure why they are getting blamed. This one is squarely on Morrison.
We are Liverpool!

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4347 on: January 4, 2020, 11:53:49 pm »
The scale of it looks horrific, hope all the Aussies on here and families are all ok. What will it take for this to end?  Heavy rainfall presumably and I guess there’s none in sight?

The heat and wind is easing in many areas which is welcome, it's raining here in Melbourne and I'm seeing on Twitter that there is rain in Benalla which is up to the Northeast closer to fire affected areas. However, there have been predictions that these fires could last a further 6-8 weeks.

I read that thunderstorms are generating from the smoke clouds is that right? Crazy stuff.

The thunderstorms that get generated are called supercell thunderstorms or mesocyclonic (medium-scale rotating storms) which come with their own wind patterns and sometimes dry lightning. Conditions become unpredictable at a time when being able to predict the spread of embers (the wind) is so important.
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #4348 on: February 16, 2020, 06:11:49 am »
Hey Aussie Reds! I'm a Liverpool Red who lives in Bali... I'm visiting Perth/Fremantle next week and I'll be in town when the Atletico game is on. Anyone know of anywhere that might show the game in Perth or Fremantle? I'm aware it's the middle of the bloody night and I have no idea what Aussie law is on opening hours for pubs etc... so please excuse my naivety !!
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Offline the oxonian

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4349 on: February 16, 2020, 07:09:49 am »
Crown casino , Burswood is your best bet, havnt been there for a few years but pretty sure they got a 24hr sports bar there
for earlier kick off games , the West Australian supporters club hire out a function room (2nd floor) in the Doubletree hotel in norhtbridge

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #4350 on: February 16, 2020, 07:18:39 am »
Crown casino , Burswood is your best bet, havnt been there for a few years but pretty sure they got a 24hr sports bar there
for earlier kick off games , the West Australian supporters club hire out a function room (2nd floor) in the Doubletree hotel in norhtbridge

Much appreciated mate, thanks
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Offline Scaryscouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4351 on: March 19, 2020, 11:15:02 pm »
G'day lads. Hope yee are all keeping well. Mad times we're living in at the moment, hope everyone's jobs etc are all secure.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #4352 on: March 20, 2020, 03:54:07 am »
G'day lads. Hope yee are all keeping well. Mad times we're living in at the moment, hope everyone's jobs etc are all secure.

Hi Owen,

How are you ?

How is it in Brisbane . Is the city heading for lockdown .

Darwin so far (touch wood) hasn't been badly affected. Yes all major events over the next two months have been cancelled or postponed.

We've just had our second case confirmed today so by other places standards very very low.

The roads and the city are quieter but generally still most going about their daily business. Supermarkets have been raided but not as bad as other cities

Darwin's economy struggles anyway with the isolation and the high cost of living. Plus the seasonal weather. So it can ill afford to have the city in lockdown as over the last 18 months a lot of small businesses have folded. Those here now already struggling can't afford a big hit now as it could almost decimate the city of businesses.

So a difficult one for the NT Government to think about. Jetstar has cancelled all flights in and out of Darwin , Qantas down to about 30% in and out and only from major cities. The NT Government is considering closing its borders as they can't let the virus hit the indigenous communities it could wipe them out.

Darwin's isolation has helped in some degree with the virus difficult to get here as the nearest big city is 3,000km away plus we only have a small airport not to many flights in and out and even less now.

Plus talk says that the virus doesn't catch hold so good in hot climates and were the hottest continuous in Australia its 30-35 degrees everyday all year round.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 03:58:25 am by WEST HAM PAUL »
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline Scaryscouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4353 on: April 9, 2020, 03:39:02 am »
Ah, howya Paul, sorry mate, I hadn't checked back in. How's things been going up there? We're pretty much in full lockdown. While not really the same scale, the small business' are having the shit kicked out of them with all the restrictions. Hope the walls aren't closing in on you with the isolations, a steady diet of podcasts, netflix and xbox has barely keeping me sane.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #4354 on: May 12, 2020, 12:35:53 pm »
Ah, howya Paul, sorry mate, I hadn't checked back in. How's things been going up there? We're pretty much in full lockdown. While not really the same scale, the small business' are having the shit kicked out of them with all the restrictions. Hope the walls aren't closing in on you with the isolations, a steady diet of podcasts, netflix and xbox has barely keeping me sane

Hi mate

Apologies been a while

Hopefully your all good

We had the best news today we got granted our Permanent Residency which is great

The NT has been the best place to live in during this period we so lucky . Cafes and restaurants opening up Friday with a few restrictions then should go full on on about two weeks if all good

How;s it your end now
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline Scaryscouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4355 on: June 25, 2020, 11:38:15 pm »
Beauty! What a year it's been Aussie reds. Hope you all have a blast celebrating.

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4356 on: August 29, 2020, 05:29:50 am »
Hope you've all been doing ok.  Seems to be light at the end of the tunnel for Melbourne now.  Depressing to think that we were at about 100 deaths at the start of July to nearly 600 now just two months later, and even more so to think that we can still count ourselves lucky.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4357 on: November 2, 2020, 02:47:27 pm »
Got some very unexpected movement on our child visa applications last week. They've been in for about 6 months to-date and given the wider environment at the moment, we had been told not to expect anything in the foreseeable, so yeah, very welcome surprise.

Anyway, taking them in for medicals on Friday now. Couple of other bits to do before the country locks down again on Thursday as well.

Hoping that the movement means it'll be finalised quicker than we'd anticipated.

Really just want to get this all sealed and get gone now.
Twitter | Blog

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4358 on: December 7, 2020, 03:56:18 pm »
Got some very unexpected movement on our child visa applications last week. They've been in for about 6 months to-date and given the wider environment at the moment, we had been told not to expect anything in the foreseeable, so yeah, very welcome surprise.

Anyway, taking them in for medicals on Friday now. Couple of other bits to do before the country locks down again on Thursday as well.

Hoping that the movement means it'll be finalised quicker than we'd anticipated.

Really just want to get this all sealed and get gone now.

Well, that really was quicker than we'd expected!

Got PR visa grant notices for our two boys through this afternoon.

As per the visa stipulations they've got to enter the country within 12 months of grant, so looks like we're finally making the move in 2021!  :wave
Twitter | Blog

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4359 on: December 21, 2020, 05:05:25 am »
Congrats mate.

Where are you thinking of settling?  At least you wont be arriving to a smoldering ruin this year!  Last year was a bit rough on that front.