Author Topic: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]  (Read 596362 times)

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
Re: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]
« Reply #80 on: July 4, 2008, 08:10:06 pm »
Restaurant Name: La Vina

Link to their website:

How many went: two

What was [roughly] ordered: 6 Tapas, meatballs, prawns, garlic chicken, potatoes, garlic bread, kebabs

Review of the Food: Spot on, nicest tapas ive ever had

Review of the venue: spanishy (i realise thats not a word).

Would you go again? Yes

Would you recommend it to friends and family? Yep, Defo. Waitresses are all spanish and were having laugh with us as well

Any known offers of fixed menus? Yeah, £12.95 pp for a selection of tapas of a sunday, very reasonable

Price Paid:   £33 (includes 4 drinks as well)

Overall score out of 10: 8 out of 10. Nice atmosphere, food served quite quickly, tasted great and some fit spainsh waitresses, happy days!

Not had a lot of tapas then?

Decent enough in there, but it's part of La Tasca and hence the food is nowhere as good as in Spain (obviously)

The sunday thingmay get checked out mind.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Lynz

• Pink custard from Prague
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sexy Chick!
« Reply #81 on: July 5, 2008, 02:56:08 pm »
Decent enough in there, but it's part of La Tasca and hence the food is nowhere as good as in Spain (obviously)

I would of never have put La Vina as part of the La Tasca group!!!

Went to La Tasca once and never ever again was fucking awful cold sloppy food, yet La Vina is amazing (never had tapas in spain thou)

Offline red annie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #82 on: July 5, 2008, 11:07:38 pm »
We have a La Vina by us. I work with a lad from Seville. He rates the La Vina here (same chain). Takes his family when they visit.

To be honest far too noisy for me. Only ever go early doors to avoid the noise.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #83 on: July 9, 2008, 02:43:27 pm »
Restaurant Name: Il Forno

Link to their website: http://www.ilforno.co.uk/

How many went: 2

What was [roughly] ordered: Scallops on a bed of rice (twice), sea bass and a steak. Wine, Peroni and Amaretto (two I think)

Review of the Food: Great, the scallops were meaty and plump, rice was rissotto esq. Creamy and full of flavour. The sea bass came with a red pepper sauce that added to the flavour and my guest enjoyed the steak greatly. Cooked to perfection and tender.

Review of the venue: We were at the back and not at all cramped or rushed. The seating aread near the Pizza ovens looked great.

Would you go again? In a heart beat

Would you recommend it to friends and family? Have done and would do in the future. Saw a spanish midfielder in there too. He plays in blue....

Any known offers of fixed menus? Not to my knowledge.

Price Paid:   Around £65 -£70 - we were pushing the boat out so were going for the most expensive wine and ordered what we wanted

Overall score out of 10: 8

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #84 on: July 9, 2008, 09:46:59 pm »
Restaurant Name: Il Forno

Only been in once but it was quality. Great wine, excellent food and the seating in and around the pizza ovens is good as you say. Great service too.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:03:38 pm by Veinticinco de Mayo »

Offline TheRedBaron

• Mock Conkey
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Fuck With Guillem Balague!
« Reply #85 on: July 9, 2008, 10:32:27 pm »
Can I ask of any ideas of somewhere to take the family on a Saturday lunch (please no jokes) I was going for the Monro  - but its shut till August, 60 Hope doesn't open for Saturday lunch apparently.. any ideas (sensible) appreciated

Ego or London carriageworks? Both sound.
'Jimmy, I get home, I shut the curtains and I sleep'.

- Mascherano after running out of petrol, forgetting his money then being hit in his car on his way home

Offline pantbash

• is single and likely to remain that way
  • Kopite
  • A Bacchanalian - Still persecuted since BC
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2008, 07:47:33 pm »
Restaurant Name: St Petersburg

Link to their website: http://www.russiancuisine.co.uk/index.php

What was [roughly] ordered: (Me) SCHEE BOYARSKIYE & MIASO S KRABAMY. (Missus) UGOR & BOYARSKOE MIASO

Review of the Food: The menu is a bit overpowering with its range of dishes, almost like a chinese menu in its length.
My starter was essentially cabbage and mushroom soup with added meat. With a bread baked onto the soup bowl to form tight top. The meat in the soup was not of the best quality however the entire dish was very tasty and filling. The bread top is inspired.
Wifey had smoked Eel which was surprisingly tasty (neither of us having had Eel before) the portion size was decent and the salad/olives etc supplied with complimented the Eel well.

For the main we both had fillet steak dishes. Good news, they know how to cook a rare steak here and the steaks are pretty massive, looked well bigger than 8oz. My steak was topped with crabmeat and cheese and onion. The topping although tasty lacked a certain "specialness". Served with plenty of sides, so much so that even a fat bastard like me could not finish the entire plate.
My Wife had the fillet with a blackcurrant, honey and spiced sauce. This was also very nice. Again however the food had a certain workman like quality to it. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but if you are looking for a special/romantic meal this may not be the best place.

We also got a bottle of Gerogian wine, which was acceptable but nothing special. Would not get the wine again for the price.

Review of the venue: Lively interior with added live entertainment. In our case some mad russian on a Moog. Not too loud or offensive and lent an atomsphere to the place. I could see this place mby getting a bit loud on a Sat night mby...
Decor is very Russian with lots of red painted brick. Chairs tables etc cheap and cheerful but also very comfy.

Would you go again? Definitely, need to eat my way through the menu. :D

Would you recommend it to friends and family? Yes. A bigger group would be fun in this place.

Any known offers of fixed menus? See website

Price Paid: About £60 for the both of us, excluding the wine. (We both chose the most expensive dishes bar the caviar though.)

Overall score out of 10: 7.5
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 07:49:35 pm by pantbash »
Atheism (from Greek, "athos" meaning 'hell', "eios" meaning 'demon' or 'Satan', and "ismos" meaning Liberal, literally "Satan's Liberal Helldemon")

Offline Lee J

• As Streetwise As An Owl - Twat Twooooo! What garden? Likes to have his nuts felt, especially now he is Tufty The Squirrel.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
    • Work website
« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2008, 09:53:05 am »
Ah, St Petersberg.  Great place, and you are right, fantastic with a large group and Karaoke  ;)  Plus, get yourself some of that Balkan vodka, 88.8% abv  :o
As a young man Cameron looked out on the social carnage of pit closures and mass unemployment, looked at Margaret Thatcher's government and thought, these are my people. When all the debating is done, that is really all I need to know.

Offline ScouserTom

• Kopite
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2008, 01:21:23 pm »
Ah, St Petersberg.  Great place, and you are right, fantastic with a large group and Karaoke  ;)  Plus, get yourself some of that Balkan vodka, 88.8% abv  :o

Just shows how different two peoples opinions can be....

I thought the food was absolutely shite in there.
I thought the entertainment was pretty shite.
And the price of the bill was rather shite.

apparently thats meant to be the only authentic Russian restaurant in the UK outside of London.
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains."

Offline pantbash

• Kopite
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2008, 02:26:14 pm »
Slightly OT here...

Anyone know of any Ethiopian/Eritrean restraunts in Liverpool?
I NEED injera bread and spicy meat, starting to get withdrawals.
Atheism (from Greek, "athos" meaning 'hell', "eios" meaning 'demon' or 'Satan', and "ismos" meaning Liberal, literally "Satan's Liberal Helldemon")

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2008, 07:11:58 pm »
Slightly OT here...

Anyone know of any Ethiopian/Eritrean restraunts in Liverpool?
I NEED injera bread and spicy meat, starting to get withdrawals.

Don't think so mate.

You could try Africana food & beauty in Smithdown Road.

Probably Habesha in Sackville St, Manchester is your nearest.

Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2008, 09:12:10 pm »
Restaurant Name: Ego

Link to their website: http://www.egorestaurants.com/

How many went: 4

What was ordered: To start Soup, Moroccan Chicken, Spaghetti & Aspargus, Goats cheese on broiche. To Follow chargrilled rump steak, roasted chicken breast, salmon, pappardelle portofino two sides of fries. To finish panna cotta, mascarpone and raspberry cheesecake, cheese board and fruit with dips. Two bottles of wine

Review of the Food: Great, everyone finished evertyhing all the flavours came together well and the little things made the difference. I honestly cant pick fault

Review of the venue: Spacious, light and very welcoming, not too busy when we arrived (about 1pm after a couple of pints in the phil) but it filled up and had a good atmosphere.

Would you go again? In a second

Would you recommend it to friends and family? Yes.

Any known offers of fixed menus? Two course lunch for £8.50, three course for £10.50

Price Paid: About £80 plus tip (and I had to tip well as the waitress was a little cutie)

Overall score out of 10: 10 couldn't find fault

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2008, 10:58:41 am »
Restaurant Name: Ego

One of my fave in the city. The deal on a mon night of 2 courses and a bottle of wine is excellent, book early though !
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:08:36 pm by Veinticinco de Mayo »

Offline The Evil One

• Anny Roader
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2008, 07:07:42 pm »
Restaurant Name: Puschka

Link to their website: http://www.puschka.co.uk

What was ordered: To start Grilled  Goats Cheese served on a salad parcel.  Mains 2 x Rump of lamb on olive oil mash, green beans with a port gravy.  Desserts, Creme brulee with a berry compote, home made vanilla ice cream/

Review of the Food: Great, this place never disappoints.  In the handful of times I've been its always been spot on, the lamb was pefectly cooked, melt in the mouth stuff.  Bottle of white sauvignon.

Review of the venue: Small, intimate setting with about 8 tables.  Service very good without being intruding, not pretencious.  Better than 60 Hope St and Carraigeworks in my opinion.

Would you go again? In a second

Any known offers of fixed menus? None noted

Price Paid: ABout £65 plus tip

Offline gorbejesus

• Anny Roader
  • The newtwork is busy You have not been charged
« Reply #94 on: August 6, 2008, 08:37:30 am »
Restaurant Name: Gusto ( A.K.A. Est Est Est )

Link to their website : http://www.gustorestaurants.uk.com

What was ordered: Starters - Lemon marinated prawns, squid and mussels
                                            - Garlic Bread with Cheese
                                             - King prawns
                                              - Skewered chicken

Main - Veal cutlet “Saltimbocca”
                                         - 11oz rib eye Steak
                                          - Chargrilled chicken breast
                                          - Seafood Risotto

Review of the Food: Amazing. The best Veal I have ever had. The Veal is Not recommended if you don’t like salty food. If you don’t mind Great. The food was just fantastic and honestly the best meal I have ever had.

Review of the venue: Relaxing but very busy on a weekend. Only bad point. We got there about 35 minutes early so we sat in the bar. We were given a pager that would vibrate and light up when our table was ready. Over an hour later I went up to them and asked when the table would be ready and they thought we had already been seated. I had been raving about the idea of using a pager especially during busy times unfortunately it didn’t work. This did not ruin the night tho.

Would you go again? Definitely, Planning to go again next week.

Any known offers of fixed menus?  Don’t Know

Price Paid: ABout £110 including drinks ( not bad for 4 people )

Overall score out of 10: 10 The Veal alone should have its own score
25 + trade count

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #95 on: August 6, 2008, 09:45:44 pm »
Restaurant Name: Tirano

Link to their website: http://www.tirano.co.uk

How many went: Two + one

What was [roughly] ordered: Garlic bread w Cheese, mozerella balls, spag bol, tapas (potatoes, chorizo, meatballs, ham & egg)

Review of the Food: Spot on, our little girl loved the Spag Bol, Tapas were lovely, Chorizo in cider and the meatballs were fantastic, would have ordered two lots had I known!

Review of the venue: Nice place, sat us in the back aswell so was quiet, had enjoyable meal in nice surroundings, decent background music on and lovely girl who served us

Would you go again? Yes, makes a refreshing change from the likes of La Vina/Tasca et al

Would you recommend it to friends and family? Yep

Any known offers of fixed menus? Yeah she offered us a deal where we could order two starters and two mains and get a free bottle of (house) wine

Price Paid:   £55

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: August 6, 2008, 10:36:05 pm »
Restaurant Name: Gusto ( A.K.A. Est Est Est )

Overall score out of 10: 10 The Veal alone should have its own score

I went there on Saturday for a late lunch - it was very good. £200 for 7 - great service and very good food.

the barman said they've never sold a bottle of the £1,000 brandy but they have sold a few in the Newz   :shocked
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:09:56 pm by Veinticinco de Mayo »

Offline Enzo

• The Kid on the corner of the street with his sparking clogs
  • Anny Roader
  • Forza Italia!!!!
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2008, 04:57:14 pm »
Out of town: Royal Tandoori (Smithdown Road), Gulshan (Aigburth Road)

In town: Saffron, just off Queen Square

The Saffron aka Sultan aka rebranded again

Went again last week and the quality has dropped exponentially..

The food is full of turmeric and everything was of a poor quality..
A man who has not been in Italy, is always conscious of an inferiority.

Offline red annie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2008, 10:17:00 pm »
Reading the review of Keiths brought my youth back!! Glad to hear that it is still good. Spent many many happy hours there. Used to be brilliant fo Sunday lunch when we were hungover. Brilliant food good wine/ale papers great atmosphere!! That was 20 years ago!! So a good read.

Offline Ryde-On

• Kicks off down Mathew Street if he hasn't managed to pull a clap-ridden whore on a Saturday
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aye.
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2008, 11:18:59 pm »
Only problem with Keith's is the bogs. Bloody horrible.

...and the kitchens, absolutely filthy.  Never eating there again.

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2008, 08:52:27 am »
Restaurant Name: Spire
Location: 1 Church Road (that's Smithdown Place / Penny Lane end)

Link to their website: http://www.spirerestaurant.co.uk/

What was [roughly] ordered:
Starters: Poached Seafood, Salmon with poached egg on champ, Halloumi & Pomegranate Salad
Mains:
Chump of new season Cumbrian lamb, broad bean puree, chargrilled sweet peppers, aubergine, marinated tomatoes, tapenade jus.
Fillet of cod with creamed champ potatoes, slow confited tomatoes, white wine and parsley sauce
10oz rump of Scottish beef with sautéed mushrooms, grilled tomato, chunky chips, tarragon butter

Review of the Food: Spot on as ever, superb dishes prepared to perfection. Although the menu, which is usually always changing was the same as last time we went, which was a little disappointing.

Review of the venue: Nice small neighbourhood place.

Review of Service: It wasn't bad by any means but there have been new people out front recently and it wasn't up to the usual standard. Rather too much evidence of the swans legs.  Hopefully this will bed down a bit as they settle in.

Would you go again? It is one of the best restaurants in the city and a short walk from home so we'd be mad not to.

Would you recommend it to friends and family?  I do and I will continue to do so.

Any known offers of fixed menus? There's an excellent prix fixe menu Mon - Thur early doors. See website for details

Price Paid:  Approx £40 a head including wine and drinks.

Overall score out of 10: 8 (previously scored consistent 10's but I'm being harsh and docking points for service and the same menu)
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline Ryde-On

• Kicks off down Mathew Street if he hasn't managed to pull a clap-ridden whore on a Saturday
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aye.
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2008, 01:29:06 pm »
Restaurant: Keith's Wine Bar
I just love it.

Out of ten: 9/10

Would I recommend it?: Have done, always do, and will do in the future. It's boss.

http://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/business-detail.php?business_id=35855&inspection_type=FH
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:12:07 pm by Veinticinco de Mayo »

Offline pantbash

• Kopite
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2008, 06:35:07 pm »
http://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/business-detail.php?business_id=35855&inspection_type=FH

I like the place food was always tasty.

As for the scores webby...
Just make sure you drink enough of the lovely wine to combat any kitchen nastiness.
Always end up twatted in that place on New Years eve.

Offline eLVIScOSTELLO

• Kopite
« Reply #103 on: September 4, 2008, 04:05:25 pm »
I like the place food was always tasty.

As for the scores webby...
Just make sure you drink enough of the lovely wine to combat any kitchen nastiness.
Always end up twatted in that place on New Years eve.

The kitchen is positively gleaming and sterile compared to the stockroom where they keep all the food.

I know this place has a popular, bohemian vibe etc etc. but I honestly wouldnt eat there if they paid me to.
Seriously, don't go.

Offline Will (Mr)

• Neville, Neville ... banana or poo? The all new Mr Arscott...
  • Anny Roader
  • Done the treble
« Reply #104 on: September 5, 2008, 12:15:36 pm »
Restaurant Name: Que Pasa Cantina

Link to their website: http://www.quepasacantina.co.uk

How many went: Two

What was [roughly] ordered: Chilli beef nachos & Chicken quesadilla (starters); Chicken burritos, steak fajitas,

Review of the Food: Very good, but a little spicy for the missus (but then she doesn't seem to really like Mexican food!)

Review of the venue: Nice, relaxed vibe, small place

Would you go again? Yes, with a small group

Would you recommend it to friends and family? Yes

Any known offers of fixed menus? Free bottle of house wine Monday-Wednesday with a 2-course meal

Price Paid:   £45

Offline TheRedBaron

• Mock Conkey
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Fuck With Guillem Balague!
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2008, 10:42:32 am »
If you like tapas went to La Vina the other week and was very nice, quite romantic as well.
'Jimmy, I get home, I shut the curtains and I sleep'.

- Mascherano after running out of petrol, forgetting his money then being hit in his car on his way home

Offline diaspora

• Main Stander
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2008, 03:42:01 pm »
Restaurant Name: Delifonseca

Link to their website: http://www.delifonseca.co.uk/

How many went: 3

What was  ordered:
Starters: None it was a lunchtime and we didn't want a full meal
Mains:
Slow roasted belly of pork, served with lentils and chorizo, sausages and colcannon  with onion gravy, muffaletta (focaccia with meats and cheese).  Wines seemed ok, and can buy a bottle in the deli downstairs paying £5 for corkage. but we went for beer, good range inc Cains raisin beer which went well with the sausages

Review of the Food: Really good, just perfect ingredients.  The lentils with the belly pork were spicy and the skin crunchy

Review of the venue: The 3 booths are better than the tables which look a little like an upmarket canteen.  Not a romantic venue by any means but great if you are into good ingredients well cooked.  The food is the star here

Review of Service: variable started well but then ran out of steam a bit, my wife and daughter wanted a dessert but with time pressing they were a bit slow in clearing away

Would you go again? Yes, will prob make it my lunch place for the next few times in town

Would you recommend it to friends and family?  Have already done so.

Any known offers of fixed menus? Don't think so

Price Paid:  Approx £35 for 3 inc drinks
Overall score out of 10:7.5

Offline Tim

• Make that an umbrella in my Breezer. Jimmy Anderson's stunt double.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welcome to Heaven
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2008, 08:53:53 am »
Restaurant: Mei Mei

What was ordered:

Starters - Siu Mai and hot and sour soup.
Mains - Chicken and cashewnuts, fillet steak in black bean sauce and 2 lost of egg fried rice.
Drinks - Bottle of house wine.

Review of the food: This is the second time I've been here and it was just as nice as the first time. Food is spot on compared to some of the crap that you can get served in Chinese restaurant. Any of the fillet steak dishes are worth getting, the meat is beautiful.

Review of the venue: The venue reminds me of any Chinese really, just lots of tables. Not romantic by any means but nice all the same.

Review of the service: Service, again, was spot on. Wouldn't have minded a bit more time between the starters and mains though but that's not a massive fault.

Would you go again: Yes definitely.

Would you recommend it to friends and family: Already have.

Any offers: Not that I'm aware of.

Price paid: £55 including tip.

Overall score: A solid 8 I'd say.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair please use my code N4TFVF4PK

We'll both get £20

:wave

Offline Oingy Boingy

• Bisquitts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2008, 12:57:35 am »
Went to Restaurant bar and grill last time in town and the food was great and a nice lively atmosphere , bill for four people was £130 but included loads of drinks....8/10
Indeed...

Offline The Scouseologist

• Weak-bladdered, ultimately repentant pie-hog
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2008, 12:16:33 pm »
Was in Piccolinos monday night on a date really enjoyed my Chicken marinated in Italian herbs on skewers with fresh seasonal veg and potatoes.

That new bitter Fellini was sitting on table right next to me shouting at his burd in French, she was decent curly blonde hair and nose piercing.

JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europe vincendarum

Offline Istanbul Therapy Group

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll hear our famous noise
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2008, 08:56:39 pm »
Restaurant: Blakes- Hard days night hotel's restaurant

How Many Went: Two

What Was Ordered: Starters:Lentil Soup, which was lovely & only £4.00 and a wood pigeon salad which @ £8.50 and fuck all of it, was overpriced although very nice

Mains: Fillet of beef with steamed veg & mashed potato @ £22.00, sea bass with pasta @ £16.00ish. Beef was gorgeous if not a lot of it. Sea bass was also very nice and the pasta was fresh although a little bland

Drinks: Bottle of rose wine (£14), 1 lager(£3.20) & 1 malibu and coke (£5.30(yes you read that right))

Price Paid: 100 pound inc tip & desert

Review Of Food: Tasted Lovely, but could have done with doubling the portions. Very Nouveau cuisiny

Review Of Venue: Fantastically decorated, the menus are a homage to the SPLHCB album cover which is a nice touch

Review Of Service: Great, waitress & manager were lovely with us, friendly, had a chat and made you feel welcome

Would You Go Again: Erm, probably not. There are better value for money places in town, even though i enjoyed it

Would You Recommend It: Yes, defintely worth a try

Any Offers: Hell No.

Overall Score: 7, food was lovely, service great, but the portions of the food and the price of the deserts & in particluar the malibu & coke @ £5.30 left me a bit pissed off.
He never shows mercy, he would put 6 past your sons school team.

Offline Will (Mr)

• Neville, Neville ... banana or poo? The all new Mr Arscott...
  • Anny Roader
  • Done the treble
« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2008, 11:16:06 am »
Restaurant: Tirano

What Was Ordered: Starters: Garlic pizza bread, Patatas bravas, Albondigas Tirano (meatballs)

Mains: Pollo al Prosciutto e Mozzarella - Chicken breast stuffed with Parma ham and baby mozzarella in a Napoli sauce; Veal saltimbocca in a marsala sauce; chips

Drinks: 4 pints

Price Paid: around 50 quid excluding tip

Review Of Food: Very nice. Carra has a competitor among his team mates on the garlic bread front (though JC just edges it). They are very fond of their tomatoes in there, but everything was nice

Review Of Venue: Relaxed ambience - not as cosy as Danny's other place though

Review Of Service: OK. Annoying to not be told something wasn't available when given the menus so we tried to order it and then had to change plans on the spot. Impossible to get the bill at the table at the end.

Would You Go Again: Maybe

Would You Recommend It: Yes, worth a try

Any Offers: There was some offer involving a free bottle of wine but can't remember the details

Overall Score: 7
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 12:16:03 pm by Spartacus »

Offline aberdeenred

• Main Stander
« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2008, 04:25:01 pm »
Took the GF down from aberdeen for the weenkend last week and went to the following 2;

Restaurant Name: 60 Hope Street

How many went : 2

What was [roughly] ordered : Woodpigeon & Duck, Steak & Chicken

Review of the Food : Starters were amongst the best i have ever had. Main course only slightly above average

Review of the venue : Nice place. Sat down stairs for drinks whilst we waited for the table. As said previously a bit more informal than expected (id dressed up !!!).

Would you go again? Probably

Would you recommend it to friends and family? Yes

Price Paid : £100

Overall score out of 10 : 8

Restaurant Name: The living Room

How many went : 2

What was [roughly] ordered : Starters Duck, Main course steak de beuf. pudding waffles

Review of the Food : Suprisingly good particularly the steak which was between the 2.

Review of the venue : Noisy but perfect for a bite before sat night drinkies with its location

Would you go again? Couldnt say

Would you recommend it to friends and family? yes

Price Paid : £100

Overall score out of 10 7.5

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: September 27, 2008, 05:04:55 pm »
Restaurant: St Petersburg

What Was Ordered:

Starters:
Chicken Borsch soup, which was really tasty, pepper and herbs with a bit of a spicy kick quite thin soup, around a fiver I think and a savoury chicken blini pancake, with sour cream and a kind of pastry. Lovely again, around a fiver.

Mains: Sirloin steak with a thick blackcurrant sauce with strawberries in it! Steak a little well done but she asked for it medium and the sauce was amazing - really unusual but it worked, fried sliced potatoes with it. Pork stroganof for me, big chunks of apple with it and soured cream sauce again quite sweet served with rice and grapefruit and orange slices. Wolfed it down loved the apple. Both around £15.

Drinks: Two glasses of white wine £4 each and a russian lager for me about £4, quite crisp and sweet.

Price Paid: £54, about £60 with tip.

Review Of Food: Great, flavours and tastes I had never experienced and a vast selection on the menu. A really unique meal, wish I'd tried a dessert now to be honest but I was stuffed. Steak a little too well done but personally I would always ask for medium rare at most.

Review Of Venue:
Strong red interior, Russian decor and music playing, bar with incredible selection of vodkas etc, comfy feel and a dance floor for a boogie on some nights when I gather a band plays.

Review Of Service: Great, waitress lovely, all dead friendly in there and it was cool watching them pour vodka over some of the meals before setting them ablaze.

Would You Go Again: Yes definitely, I'd take other people so they could try it and I'd like to go again with my girlfriend to try different things on the menu - never been anywhere like it.

Would You Recommend It: Yes, definitely a genuinely unique dining experience.

Any Offers: Not that I saw.

Overall Score: 8. Give it a go if you want to try something different. Great value as well.

Offline ianfb25

• Legacy Fan
  • KK7
« Reply #114 on: October 4, 2008, 10:05:23 am »
Restaurant: Las Iguanas http://www.iguanas.co.uk/liverpool.asp

What Was Ordered: Starters: Crayfish Cocktail and Champinones. Missus liked her cocktail, my champinones was nice but only warm, not hot. Wasnt much of it though so I ate it without complaining, was nice enough, nothing spectacular. Mains: Peri Peri Asado and Chicken Wrap. The good lady really enjoyed her peri peri, the chicken was very nice (I tried it and will probaby get this next time), although when she ordered it she ordered it with chips, and also asked for the gluten free option. When the food came it came without chips which we were informed 'is the gluten free option', would have been nice to be told that originally. Her only complaint was that their was no dressing for the sald, and when she asked for some the lad came back 10 minutes later saying he had forgot and asking if we still wanted it. My chicken wrap was nice, again nothing fantastic but good enough. The curly fries were very tasty though, and the sald like the missus was nice but very dry. We ordered off the early doors menu so it was £7.90 each for the 2 courses.

Drinks: Bottle of house white at £9.50, a few Cuba Libra which was buy 1 get one free at £4.50, and she had another cocktail I forget the name of at £5.50.

Price Paid: Bill should have been about £42, when it came it was £54 as they had charged £13 for the wine (The offer is its £9.50 for house wine before 7pm) and also charged us for 3 mains. So I sent it back, when it came back it was £34 as they had removed the third main and also completely removed the bottle of wine. Ill happily tell you when you have made a mistake and overcharged, if you undercharge thats not my problem!!

Review Of Food: Overall was good, didnt have to wait to long for it and apart from my starter which was only warm it was hot, couldnt complain at all. The missus peri peri asado she really enjoyed and the bit I tried did taste very nice indeed.

Review Of Venue: Very nice, awesome location as I just love Liverpool One anyway, the inside is nicely decorated, no music when we went which we thought was strange at the first but a very good atmosfear inside the place. Nicely laid out although my only gripes are, we were seated at the far wall as you walk in. My missus sat with her back at the far wall so she was facing the entrance. The sun was pretty bright and there is nothing blocking the sun coming in, so she had teh dun right in her eyes for the first hour we were there as did the people sitting by her. I had my back to the entrance and had staff walking past me every 30 seconds, not much of a gap between my seat and the partition behind me so was a bit fo a squeeze. Only a minor gripe though, nothing major.

Review Of Service: Awful. Seriously. Not in a rude way, just that the majority of the staff there are clearly inexperienced. Had to wait a while after being seated to order, drinks took a while, not just the first time but each time we ordered. The girls didnt really seem to know much about the menu when asked..... the one lad who was spot on was the skinhead lad who is one of the supervisors, he apologised for any messing about and said most of the staff were new to the job which clearly showed. It didnt bother us to much as the place itslef was very nice and while not being the best at the job the staff were very polite and very apologetic, just teething problems Im sure and will be resolved with time.

Would You Go Again:
Yeah I would deffo go again. The 2 for 1 on some of the cocktails offer is very good indeed, as is the wine offer, and the food was good. Sure we will be in again at some point soon.

Would You Recommend It: Yes, defintely worth popping into.

Any Offers: 2 courses for £7.90 4pm-7pm Monday to Saturday and 4pm till late Sunday, same times 2 for 1 on selected cocktails and £9.50 house wine.

Overall Score: 7.5, would give it an extra point if the service was better, whcih Im sure it will be over time. Very good value though in a quality setting, worth checking out. Im back up there later today but will be trying the new Nandos, which looks quality.

Offline Josao23

• Main Stander
« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2008, 11:23:58 pm »
Restaurant: Old Orleans

How Many Went: Five

What Was Ordered: Roasted BBQ Chicken, Hand Battered Fish and Chips, Blackened Chicken, Caesar Salad with Chicken.

Mains: I ordered the caesar salad as prior to coming out had ate a whole pizza and was going to see Arctic Monkeys at the Apollo in the cinema so wanted to save room for cinema food. When the waiter came I asked for him "to go easy on the anchovies, as I'm not a huge fan of anchovies with chicken to be honest. Upon receiving the salad, the lettuce leafs were soggy and a bit discoloured and there were no croutons. The chicken and bacon were very nice which was the only good part of my meal. The waiter at first had appeared to "go easy" on the anchovies, however, halfway through the salad which was poor at best, I discovered around 18 anchovies under one leaf of lettuce (in addition to others scatered in the salad). This was disgusting, in my opinion, it was a reasonable request and doing that was just taking the piss.

Friends seemed satisfied at best with their meals although, only the blackened chicken was fully finished. Fish & chips was fine, but it's pretty hard to get that wrong. Some complaints that the chips were undercooked.

Drinks: 2 Cokes, one table water.

Price Paid: £40- due to half price vouchers.

Review Of Food: As above, the chicken and bacon was nice but the rest of my salad was very poor.

Review Of Venue: Nice decorations, good ambience, dickhead waiter.

Review Of Service: The waitress who welcomed us in was very nice, however we were served by another waiter upon entering the restaurant. The waiter was an absolute prick. Was extremely cocky and impatient when ordering the meal. Upon inquiring as to why there were so many anchovies in my meal he told me, "You didn't ask for none, you just said go easy". I was appalled by this attitude, if he was ever unsure by the term "go easy" it wouldn't have taken much to ask me what I meant. In the end it took around 5 minutes for him to ask me if I wanted a replacement meal, even then he said it as if he was forced to by no doubt some company policy. I refused as he seemed the type who would spit in your meal or do something similar. Looking back, it was the worst service I've received in my life and I should've asked for the manager. This was only the second time I've ever complained about a meal and to be frank I would've received a better response at a McNasty's or Burger King in town.

Would You Go Again: No, unless forced.

Would You Recommend It: Definitely not. I'd recommend avoiding.

Any Offers: Half price with a movie ticket Mon-Thurs (Voucher needed)

Overall Score: 2/10. Probably the worst restaurant I've been to in my life in terms of overall experience. The waiter ruined my meal to be honest which was average on its own. Would have rather gone to McNasty's now. A restaurant who impresses you, you might mention a few times but a "restaurant" as bad as this you tell to as many people as possible to avoid.

Helly

« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2008, 12:29:32 am »
Restaurant: St Petersburg

How Many Went: 5 and a 2 year old

What Was Ordered:

Starters:We all ate from the £13.95 for 3 course or £9.95 for 2 courses menu, which is available up until 7:00pm.  I gave James my starter as his meal and the waiter didnt seem to mind.

Price Paid: £60 odd pound for the lot of us.

Review Of Food: Food was lovely the blini pancakes were really nice.  Very good food at a brilliant price.

Review Of Venue:
Strong red interior, Russian decor and music playing, bar with incredible selection of vodkas etc, comfy feel and a dance floor for a boogie on some nights when I gather a band plays. - What he said.

Review Of Service: Waiter was amazing, James took a shine to him and followed him around, kept going to the bar to talk to him, we all sat at the bar and chatted to him for awhile as well.  Really good bloke.

Would You Go Again: Yes definitely.

Would You Recommend It: Yes, definitely a genuinely unique dining experience. - What he said.

Any Offers: Fixed price menu, excellent value. http://www.russiancuisine.co.uk/menu/tsar/spb_lunch_eve1.pdf

Overall Score: 9.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 12:34:43 am by Helly »

Offline penfold102

• It remains unclear as to whether "102" refers to my IQ or my dad's age - let RAWK decide! :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2008, 11:51:05 am »
Restaurant Name:

Meet

2 Brunswick Street

Link to their website:

http://www.meetrestaurant.co.uk/

How many went:

What was [roughly] ordered:

Starters of Chorizo, smoked hams, tiger prawns and a smoked sausage I struggle to remember the name of.

Mains consisted of Fillet Steaks, Sirloin steaks and Chimmichurri chicken.

Review of the Food:

The food that MEET offers is truly stunning and certainly not of the nouvelle cuisine variety. If you want some big, wholesome plates full of the most succulent meats then I don't think there is anywhere better. Had we known the size of the mains we probably wouldn't have had the starters but rest assured these were excellent. I don't know the sauce they used to marinade the tiger prawns in but I have never had prawns taste like that before. The smoked sausages were full of flavour and the chorizo is the finest I have had in this country.

On to the mains. I chose a 10oz Fillet steak (rare, of course) and we also ordered a sirloin and chicken with chimmichurri sauce. Everyone was very happy with the food, especially me because that fillet steak is the stuff of legends. Apparently they import all their beef from Argentina, so it is incredibly authentic. The plates are HUGE, piled with potatoes and salad with some terrific marinades and dressings. There was no space left for desserts but I challenge anyone to have a starter and then a huge steak and attempt a dessert.

Review of the venue:

Quite a small place but always busy and has a nice vibrant atmosphere. Service is fantastic - the head waiter was very charismatic without being a slimy git and sorted us out with a table of 4 on Saturday night even though we were half an hour late. Nice bar with a good selection of booze. Pretty faultless really.

Would you go again?:

100% yes

Would you recommend it to friends and family?:

Ditto

Any known offers of fixed menus?:

No, but they do very reasonable lunches

Price Paid:

£120 for 4 including drinks.

Overall score out of 10:

I'd give it an 11 if I could but I can't. A 10 it is!!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 11:52:38 am by penfold102 »
Fils et pere - Trade count of 35+

What's tomato with you?

Offline eLVIScOSTELLO

• Kopite
« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2008, 04:03:16 pm »
Restaurant: The Haymarket

How Many Went: 2

What Was Ordered: Scallops/Soup
                                 Lamb / Steak.
                                 Chocolate Mousse/Tarte Tatin

Drinks: Bottle water/Bottle wine

Price Paid: £75 (ish)

Review Of Food: One of the best steaks I've had anywhere. Miles better than the one I had in Meet. Food standard generally was very good. menu is a bit limited though.

Review Of Venue: Very, very nice dining room. Waitress was friendly too. However, it was very quiet for a Friday night.

Review Of Service: The waitress was very nice,  but she did have plenty of time on her hands!

Would You Go Again: Absolutely.

Would You Recommend It: Yes.

Any Offers: Yep-there's an early bird menu (before about 7 I think).

Overall Score: 7/10.  Would have been higher but for the lack of ambience, due to the place being almost empty. Really is a very nice place though!

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2008, 04:19:40 pm »
Ha!  I always panic when you post in this thread mate.  First thought is "shit! which place in which I have just eaten has got a 3 inch layer of rat faeces on the kitchen surfaces".

Went to the Gourmet Burger place the other week.  It was good, the burgers were great, but then at £8 for a burger and another £3 for a bowl of chips they bloody well should be.
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'