Author Topic: Drink Better Beer - Belgian, German, Craft, Ales, Lagers all your hoppy goodness in one place  (Read 275044 times)

Offline Dan86

• Kopite

That Grimbergen's goooood! Love the lager version of it. Shit, wasn't going to drink tonight as it's a Thursday & I'm off out tomorrow anyway but that Grimbergen bottle's made me thirsty. I'm heading to the offy!  :wave
"if you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later"
- Bob Paisley

Offline Joshytoohotty

• Potty Mouth
  • Legacy Fan
Been drinking some of that Birra Moretti last night, absolutely amazing stuff.

Cheap as well, 1.33 a bottle I think it was from Tesco and they're 660s.
They only drink water and bottles of coke, the Everton boys are a joke...

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
I drink this

and this

when I'm at home, but in a pub you can't beat this (not even with a stick)

when pulled properly. It also has to be from a boozer that sells a lot of it for best results.

Ps: When I was looking for the Spaten pic I fell in love...

Offline Jase

• Legacy Fan
  • A Liverbird upon my chest.
Does anyone know anywhere else in town that serves Leffe? I know the ship & mitre does (as far as I remember) and the fly in the loaf does a similar drink to Leffe....but I fancy a pint of the good stuff :)
......and could he play!

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
Does anyone know anywhere else in town that serves Leffe? I know the ship & mitre does (as far as I remember) and the fly in the loaf does a similar drink to Leffe....but I fancy a pint of the good stuff :)

The dugout by limestreet will serve it im sure mate, has a lot of beers in there!

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
I think the Everyman serves Leffe, they certainly have a couple of nice Belgian beers on tap anyway.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Jase

• Legacy Fan
I think the Everyman serves Leffe, they certainly have a couple of nice Belgian beers on tap anyway.

It does actually! I remember seeing it a few weeks ago actually, thinking about it. :)
......and could he play!

hoonin

Draft Singha is a lovely beer. Tastes all the sweeter knowing it deprives Evertons sponsors of money ;D

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
All beers taste the same to me to be honest, my taste buds are boring :(

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Trying some of this tonight, (solely for the purposes of contributing to this thread, mind). Not rilly ma thang, to be honest, it has a little bit of that wheaty taste that I don't really like. Still, it ain't muck...

Offline DowntheLine1981

• Ignorant of the Dhamma
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici
    • Work's MySpace page....
I have a policy where ever I go to a new area, I always try to get the local brew on cask.  And I mean local.  I'm not a geek, or a CAMRA fanatic, I just take my ale seriously.  I find out which bars are decent ones that serve local booze and go there if I want to enjoy a drink.

However, if I'm out on the tiles, I stick with shorts (namley G and T)

Agree with the original poster about Aldi and Liddel, they sell decent, cheap foreign booze that has yet to 'make the push' into the Brit market.  What people don't seem to remember when buying these kind of ales is that there once was a time when Bulmers and Stella where considered random dodgy booze from abroad because no-one had ever heard of them.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
~Aristotle

"The trouble with having an open mind is that people will come along and try to put things in it."
~Terry Pratchett

“If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
~Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline DowntheLine1981

• Ignorant of the Dhamma
  • Legacy Fan
Used to love this stuff while I was at Uni.

« Last Edit: June 3, 2008, 11:15:13 pm by DowntheLine1981 »
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
~Aristotle

"The trouble with having an open mind is that people will come along and try to put things in it."
~Terry Pratchett

~Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline 6BigCups

• RAWK Journeyman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I never understood this obsession people have with not drinking from a can.

Whats the difference?

you can taste the metal!

Offline Bobber

• Anny Roader
Guinness got the seal of approval today.
Tasted differet to what I thought it would.

Offline DowntheLine1981

• Ignorant of the Dhamma
  • Legacy Fan
Guinness got the seal of approval today.
Tasted differet to what I thought it would.

Have never seen the appeal with Guinness, I only drink it during Paddy's Day (as its the law) but other than that I just seems really bloating.  Its like a whole meal in a can.

A the black poos it gives you are most distressing.
~Aristotle

~Terry Pratchett

~Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
I have a policy where ever I go to a new area, I always try to get the local brew on cask.  And I mean local.  I'm not a geek, or a CAMRA fanatic, I just take my ale seriously.  I find out which bars are decent ones that serve local booze and go there if I want to enjoy a drink.

However, if I'm out on the tiles, I stick with shorts (namley G and T)

Agree with the original poster about Aldi and Liddel, they sell decent, cheap foreign booze that has yet to 'make the push' into the Brit market.  What people don't seem to remember when buying these kind of ales is that there once was a time when Bulmers and Stella where considered random dodgy booze from abroad because no-one had ever heard of them.

The majority of Aldi lager is made by Interbrew. Used to be made in the Orangeboom lager factory in Breda (they were due to close it)

Spot the peson who used to deal with all of their alcohol imports.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008

Any bar that does Leffe should do Peeterman as well  - give it a go, much nicer.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
My brother in law, a chef who spent some time in Germany, told me some years ago about the German Purity Law. Apparently, the Germans take their beer very seriously, and don't take kindly to additives and preservatives.

Anyway, his theory was that if you drink beer with additives and so on, it isn't good for your body, your buzz or your condition the following morning. Having undertaken some careful study in the five or so years since then, I concur. So, some tips to better beer drinking.

Most draught lager you get in bars is piss. If you are in England, this counts double. Seriously, how do you people drink that shit?

Heineken, Carlsberg, Amstel, Kronenbourg etc are all piss. Budweiser makes them all taste like mothers milk. Put it back in the fucking horse. Ask yourself, why don't any of these beers have the ingredients on them?

Only drink beer from bottles or cans where the ingredients are clearly marked on the outside. These should be water, hops, malt, barley, you know, proper farm stuff. If the ingredients include something you've never heard of, it's piss.

The best places to buy beer are the discount super stores like Aldi or Lidl. They sell cheap, excellent beer with the ingredients clearly marked.

Don't be put off by not having heard of the beer you're considering buying. Just check for the ingredients.

These tips may have no basis in fact but they have served me well, and kept my hangover count ridiculously low. There is no reason why we can't be selective about beer, the same way that people are about wine.

I enjoy some of the beer i get in Lidl, but fucking hell the hangovers are pure hell.

Offline Jase

• Legacy Fan
Any bar that does Leffe should do Peeterman as well  - give it a go, much nicer.

Yeah, noticed last night that the Metropolitan on Berry Street does Leffe and Peeterman as well. Another one for the list :)
......and could he play!

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
I enjoy some of the beer i get in Lidl, but fucking hell the hangovers are pure hell.

That doesn't happen to me. I'd want to be drinking eight or ten pints worth before I'd see a hangover, and even then it's healthy enough. You sure you're checking the label?

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
That doesn't happen to me. I'd want to be drinking eight or ten pints worth before I'd see a hangover, and even then it's healthy enough. You sure you're checking the label?

This hangover theory, in my opinion, is just conjecture and probably giving you a placebo effect. I've been (binge) drinking absolutely piss alcohol full of preservatives all year and get no hangovers. If you don't want hangovers, just drink a couple of glasses of water before you go to bed after a night out.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
This hangover theory, in my opinion, is just conjecture and probably giving you a placebo effect. I've been (binge) drinking absolutely piss alcohol full of preservatives all year and get no hangovers. If you don't want hangovers, just drink a couple of glasses of water before you go to bed after a night out.

Poof. I drink a can and a half of Castrol GTX and gargle some lead pellets before I turn in.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
Had a pint of this stuff draught in the sun earlier today. Anyone tried it before.

Really aromatic, fairly high acidity and fairly viscous.

It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Poof. I drink a can and a half of Castrol GTX and gargle some lead pellets before I turn in.

:D
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
Had a pint of this stuff draught in the sun earlier today. Anyone tried it before.

Had a fair few of those in California recently. Not a bad beer. Anchor Steam is also worth a try.
DAMMIT!

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead

nope, never seen nor tried the stuff, but willing to give it a go... tell me where u are beer in dublin!!! :P

a mate of mine works in a chemistry lab, and brings home 3 small brown bottles (wish a safety cap of course for the kiddies) of ethenol, now thats some lethal shit! :D

Offline TonyTheRed

• NosedReindeer has a very qwertycock....
  • Legacy Fan
  • I've got a little black book with my poems in
Lightweights.  ;D  Try some of these

like one day u will find out im not female :)

Offline Gough1

• Main Stander
Hate to repeat myself but Kronenburg Premier Cru is where it's at

Don't believe me? Try some

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan

I am such an idiot. I have been trying to find a beer I had about 10 years ago, it's flavours are very distinctive, but I have no idea what it's name is. Of course, as is often the case, someone on RAWK will know.

Long story short, it is a European Beer, probably Belgian, but not certain which comes in a narrow bottle which is between 275ml and 350ml. In terms of the flavours of the Beer it is fairly dark, but not a porter, and it tastes exactly like a packet of Walkers Smoky Bacon Crisps. That is the over-riding primary flavour.

Been annoying me for years, any ideas?
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline TonyTheRed

• NosedReindeer has a very qwertycock....
  • Legacy Fan
  • I've got a little black book with my poems in
That sounds like one of the German smoked beers (Rauchbier) to me.... I'll investigate

Could it be one of these:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/7/
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 08:08:48 am by TonyTheRed »
like one day u will find out im not female :)

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan

Excellent, sounds a likely candidate.

I will hunt it down at the weekend, and see if it is the one!

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Didn't they used to sell bacon beer at Rigby's?

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Didn't they used to sell bacon beer at Rigby's?

It had to be me to answer this one.

Schlenkera Rauchbier.

Beer and food in one easy bottle.

Offline FinnishRed

• Frog in a liquidiser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities...
I spent five days in Prague this week, so obviously enjoyed quite a many pints of Pilsner Urguell and Budweiser Budvar. Both so fresh and tasty there, very cheap too. Perhaps those two are one of the world's best lagers, at least they're my favourite. Also visited Staropramen brewery, was great to see the brewhouse, all the kettles etc. I'd say Czech Republik is a must place to visit for every beer lover. The waiters and waitresses could be bit more nicer to you though!

Pheeny

It had to be me to answer this one.

Schlenkera Rauchbier.

Beer and food in one easy bottle.
it did indeed.By the way are you planning on a trip here in the near future?

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Not at this moment in time. Very skint.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Might have a glass of Duvul with my dad later- it's his father's day present, but sounds like it's good stuff so I want some  :P.

Offline Rafas_Barmy_Army

• Legacy Fan
  • Its rainin sideways.
i got me dad these for fathers day, they were in morrisons n he likes his ales so everyone's a winner
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
Sainsburys online wineshop is closing down so I managed to pick up a case of Duvel and a case of Leffe at half price, first time I'd tried Duvel and I just wish I'd picked up more thn 1 case now

Offline Mondo

• Main Stander
  • You're f*cking out
Does anyone know if you can buy Coors over here (Ireland or England) or is it just available in the US? The original Coors rather than Coors Light I mean